Square Enix sings sweet lullabies to the 3DS in Theatrhyhm Final Fantasy(tm) Page 3

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• Afiddes 4 Jul 2012 12:35:01 1,164 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    the one online feature i could have possibly wanted was an online leaderboard. Something to compete against

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• elvenscroll 4 Jul 2012 12:46:49 1,347 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The review mentioned songs can be exchanged in spot pass. Anyone know how this works? Do we collect multiple versions of a song and then trade them?

My copy is here from shopto. My lady snatched it from my hands and has hidden it. Bah.

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• santashi 4 Jul 2012 15:37:35 4,940 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    elvenscroll wrote:
    The review mentioned songs can be exchanged in spot pass. Anyone know how this works? Do we collect multiple versions of a song and then trade them?

My copy is here from shopto. My lady snatched it from my hands and has hidden it. Bah.
    Aw. That's quite sweet.

I'd like to know the answer to that too, and I'm still also confused about whether the DLC is free, paid or a mixture of both.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• spamdangled 4 Jul 2012 16:30:31 27,197 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is bloody great!

Not been able to put it down since it arrived this morning.

Total feast for the ears - You really need to play this with headphones.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• santashi 4 Jul 2012 16:32:26 4,940 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Good to hear! If you have any other thoughts on it I'd be interested to hear them (if you're able to put the game itself down! ;) ).

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• spamdangled 4 Jul 2012 16:32:48 27,197 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    The Bad

No online play.
    There is!

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 4 Jul 2012 16:42:25 10,786 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @darkmorgado Is there? Please expand.

Also, did you get yours from Shopto or Amazon?
  • spamdangled 4 Jul 2012 16:50:02 27,197 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    Good to hear! If you have any other thoughts on it I'd be interested to hear them (if you're able to put the game itself down! ;) ).
    EPIC POST ALERT!

Series Mode is made up of 13 courses - one for each of the FF games in the main series (not sure why they excluded 14, and it would have been nice to hear some of the gorgeous music from spinoffs like Tactics and Vandal Hearts accounted for, but there you go). Each course consists of the game's opening theme, a field music track, a battle music track, an event music track, and the closing theme (though the middle three won't necessarily come in that order). For example, the FF7 course consists of Opening them, Main Theme, Aerith's Theme, One Winged Angel, Closing Theme). Each has a slightly different feel (battle music tends to be faster paced, field music tends to be more relaxed, in event music your cursor moves across a line rather than the notes). After completing a course, the songs from that game can then be played in challenge mode.

You also get ranked at the end of each song (with ranks ranging from Critical, Great, Good, Bad and Miss). Your ranking score is added to a cumulative total, which unlocks extras at various thresholds - FMV, songs in the music player, collectible cards, profile customisation options, and characters.

There's a subtle degree of strategy involved in the party system. At the start of the game, only 13 characters are unlocked (one from each game) and you form your party of four characters, each of which will have unique skills (passive buffs for the party, etc). As you complete skills, those characters gain experience and level up, increasing their stats and unlocking new abilities. Play a track without any abilities equipped and you will earn a bonus at the end of the song. You also earn a bonus if characters in your party originate from the game the song came from (so having Cloud in your party will earn you a bonus for playing Aerith's Theme, for example). In addition, there is a chance at the end of field stages or as you kill monsters in battle stages that you will gain loot - either one-use items or permanent equipment - which provide further buffs to your party's stats.

Stats actually have a practical use in the game - strength means you kill more monsters in battle modes, meaning more loot. Agility means you run faster in field modes, meaning you can come across moogles who give you loot, etc.

Miss a note during play (or get a "Bad" rank, and your party will take damage to their HP. Too much damage and you lose the song.

In challenge mode, you can replay songs youve beaten in series mode to improve your rank and grind XP for your characters, and there are three different difficulty settings for each track to master. In addition, you have a chance to obtain "dark notes", which unlock even more tracks to master.

The whole thing is really, really addictive - both because of the gorgeous music and the steady stream of XP and loot. If Diablo made a rhythm action game, this would be it.

The only downside is that some stages end before the track itself is finished (ending with just a fade out). One winged angel does this for example. I can sort of understand why, to make it more suitable for bite-sized play on the move, but an option to play the full versions of each track would have been welcome.

Edited by darkmorgado at 16:52:43 04-07-2012

• spamdangled 4 Jul 2012 16:51:23 27,197 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    @darkmorgado Is there? Please expand.

Also, did you get yours from Shopto or Amazon?
    Shopto.

Once you've unlocked Dark notes, when you play one of them the game gives you the option of playing solo or teaming up with other players online. I've not actually tried it yet though so I can't comment on what it adds to the experience.

• Murbal 4 Jul 2012 17:01:31 21,565 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @darkmorgado channeling JTN? ;-)
  • Deleted user 4 July 2012 17:12:41
    thanks for the indepth post DM, can't wait till friday :)
  • JinTypeNoir 4 Jul 2012 17:47:16 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I waited months for Eurogamer to review Theathrhythm, looking forward to hearing some intelligent commentary on it. Then Simon Parkin, and there is no such thing as intelligent life on Planet Parkin, there goes that hope. Why on earth?

Here's my review: if you like rhythm games, Theathrhythm is a brilliant game, whether you like Final Fantasy or not. It kept me addicted for months and I kept on wanting to unlock things, do better on certain songs, get a higher score or see how many monsters I could defeat with a certain party build, or even just play a song I'd played to death for the heck of it. Its bursting with charm, to say nothing of the impeccable history of the songs on display. There are very few faults it has and its one of those games where it can be quite frustrating, but not in the destructive, hardware-destroying way; rather its a kind of iron determination that sets in to master the game's fiendish challenges, where you know the mistakes are all you own and there must be a way to persevere. I don't think I've ever progressed in skill so far in one game before. The difference between a Theathrhythm newb and a master is quite a gulf and yet getting there is genius and joy. The sense of satisfaction this game gave me is one of a kind.

It is hard to say, but for me at least, Theathrhythm will go down as one of my favorite and most memorable gaming experiences.
  • Deleted user 4 July 2012 17:48:36
    i thought the review was a bit sort of up turned nose about it, but most of the text was favourable. Been reading the comments on the gaf forum, and people are going nuts for it.
  • spamdangled 4 Jul 2012 18:14:04 27,197 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    I waited months for Eurogamer to review Theathrhythm, looking forward to hearing some intelligent commentary on it. Then Simon Parkin, and there is no such thing as intelligent life on Planet Parkin, there goes that hope. Why on earth?

Here's my review: if you like rhythm games, Theathrhythm is a brilliant game, whether you like Final Fantasy or not. It kept me addicted for months and I kept on wanting to unlock things, do better on certain songs, get a higher score or see how many monsters I could defeat with a certain party build, or even just play a song I'd played to death for the heck of it. Its bursting with charm, to say nothing of the impeccable history of the songs on display. There are very few faults it has and its one of those games where it can be quite frustrating, but not in the destructive, hardware-destroying way; rather its a kind of iron determination that sets in to master the game's fiendish challenges, where you know the mistakes are all you own and there must be a way to persevere. I don't think I've ever progressed in skill so far in one game before. The difference between a Theathrhythm newb and a master is quite a gulf and yet getting there is genius and joy. The sense of satisfaction this game gave me is one of a kind.

It is hard to say, but for me at least, Theathrhythm will go down as one of my favorite and most memorable gaming experiences.
    Couldn't agree more. I don't normally pay much attention to the beat matching genre, but this really is phenomenal. I don't think I've felt this compelled to perfect each track since playing Frequency and Amplitude on the PS2.

• JinTypeNoir 4 Jul 2012 18:20:39 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It doesn't really matter whether the text is favorable, it's not well written. For instance, the review claims that the RPG elements are surface level only. This is not true. The RPG elements allow you to go iron man mode for extra points, tinker parties together who can heal you from you mistakes so you can tackle songs that are much harder than your skill level and even has a random dungeon grind to unlock rare goodies. The core is certainly the rhythm, but those who say Theathrhythm's RPG elements are just surface didn't really scratch it. It also says the 3 modes are the same. This is also not true. Certain party members are much better equipped with skills for one of the modes, and the method for winning rare items is so different they demand quite different strategies. As well, the difficulty level is very different. Even the ultimate FMSes are rarely as hard as a lot of the medium level BMSes and having you wave the stylus up and down is something you do only in an FMS. As well, BMS and FMS levels, no matter the difficulty have a looser interpretation of good inputs than EMSes which are much more demanding if you want to get perfect. The way you lose health and game over in each mode is different, and the bonuses in each mode for during well during the silver notes are also different.

There is also a lot of really dumb commentary in the review, the starting comment about a Final Fantasy rhythm game being somewhat unexpected and not looking like it would fit is mindboggling. Its really a comment from someone who either isn't familiar with the series or is just plain dumb. Final Fantasy probably has one of the most celebrated musical traditions in all of gaming and Square has previously made board games, kart racers, mini-game collections and card games out of it, all of which worked to certain extents and were easy to pick up and play games without much of a plot. The idea that the epicness of Final Fantasy is something that wouldn't translate to a rhythm game must come from someone who may not even understand music. I know it was a way of complimenting the game, but that's not the point. It was written because it sounded like a good lead-in, but its a moronic lead-in.

Then the next comment is about the collapse of the rhythm market. I fucking hate this type of thinking. Its the type of thinking that makes analysts recommend Nintendo go iPhone or that Sony should pull the Vita out of the market. First of all, only the Western rhythm market fell down and that was the plastic instrument one. There are still lots of great rhythm games being made. Second, rhythm games are still good sellers in Japan, which will always be Square Enix's internal games primary market, perhaps now even more than they have been before. Third, this is Square Enix -- a company that fought for years to make the RPG a hot ticket outside of Japan and succeeded in doing it. A company that's quite famous for taking risks, big and small. Dumb, d-dumb, dumb, duuuuumb!

It's aggravating to read wank like that. They could rip apart for all I care, I was just tired of all the Japanese praise and criticism of the title and wanted some good intelligent English writing I could bite into, I don't really care whether they rip it a new hole or not. I often read negative Edge reviews or Tom Chick reviews of games I like, though both can sometimes be annoyingly petty, its more often that whether they like it or not, they are at least writing from truth, not this phony malarkey that always spews out of Parkin.
  • uiruki 4 Jul 2012 18:46:24 3,546 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played a couple of courses, really enjoying it so far. The music choices so far seem good, and the gameplay itself is really sharp. Even in the easiest mode, the angle you need for the 'slide' move is surprisingly harsh, and that's what's been tripping me up. I really like the way they introduced the RPG mechanics into progression, with character stats making a meaningful difference when it comes to getting stuff! Love the artwork too, it looks great even on the rather weak 3DS display.

It almost seems a shame to blast through it like I inevitably will when the 3DS XL is just around the corner, though - I'm tempted to hold off and really crank up the speakers.
  • JinTypeNoir 4 Jul 2012 19:54:02 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aaaahhh! I almost forgot to warn you guys! If you want to unlock all the characters easily, you must, must, keep at least a few dark notes from level 1-30 or so, you can only get some of the crystals for the characters at those levels. And since the dark notes are based on the average level of your party that won the last dark note, if you level up too much you either won't be able to get all the characters or it will be extremely difficult. Watch out! I said there were few faults in the game and this one of the only ones.
  • Agent_Llama 4 Jul 2012 20:01:50 3,252 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looking forward to this but am I the only person a bit irked by the amount of DLC and how much you would spend buying it all? Yes, it's optional, but I always feel like I'm getting only some of the game, not the complete package.

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola

• spamdangled 4 Jul 2012 20:44:29 27,197 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Agent_Llama

I haven't even been able to connect to the store. For some bizarre reason I keep getting a "connection interrupted" error message even though my connection is fine.

• Afiddes 4 Jul 2012 21:00:30 1,164 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ( still not dispatched from amazon hope it comes on friday

• Ror1984 4 Jul 2012 21:24:54 2,122 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Afiddes Mine's not been dispatched either, and when I click on the product link in my order it says it's unavailable and that there's a newer version available (without the stylus).

I'm slightly nervous...

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Deleted user 4 July 2012 21:32:11
    Amazon plan to dispatch my copy tomorrow.
  • Deleted user 4 July 2012 21:42:47
    @Ror1984

same, as well.. not sure whether to bin the order?

theres not dispatch estimate either.

Edited by joelstinton at 21:44:55 04-07-2012
  • Ror1984 4 Jul 2012 22:07:46 2,122 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @joelstinton Yeah, I don't have a dispatch estimate on mine either :( I'm also wondering whether I should cancel the order and go with ShopTo. I'll probably give it 'til about 4 tomorrow.

• Deleted user 4 July 2012 22:17:03
    yeah same, well tesco is 5 min walk from me, so i might just get up early and bag it in there. Its odd they normally cancel the order and inform you. I wonder if its just the stylus one, and they ran out now so got the new item up.
  • Deleted user 4 July 2012 22:19:06
    I don't have a dispatch estimate on my order. I spoke to Amazon CS, they checked my order and told me they planned to dispatch it tomorrow.

The stylus and sticker set was a limited pre-order bonus. All of the current stock has been allocated.
  • Ror1984 4 Jul 2012 22:22:33 2,122 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have a pretty big Tesco only about ten minutes' walk from me, but they only stock chart games :(

I imagine they'd have emailed us if there was an issue, but I would've expected it to be readying for dispatch by close of business today.

EDIT @ mitche11 - thanks for the info!

Edited by Ror1984 at 22:24:01 04-07-2012

• Deleted user 4 July 2012 22:27:26
    ok thanks mitchell :)

Yeah roz the same, recently they got rid of all ds games, but kept 3ds. They have a substantial stock in there i should imagine it would get in the 3ds chart pretty easily.
  • Ror1984 4 Jul 2012 22:37:04 2,122 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think mine still has a small handful of DS games. Last time I was in there they had Super Mario 64 DS for about thirty quid :|

Anyway, I hope Theatrhythm turns up on Friday, I'm starting to get a bit sick of Sunleth Waterscape and The Man With the Machine Gun!

• Afiddes 5 Jul 2012 07:58:20 1,164 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Money has been taken and it has been updated to dispatching soon :) looks like it will be delivered tomorrow then :D

• Page

of 14 First / Last