Bowie is God Page 4

  • Page

    of 5 First / Last

  • Rodney 9 Jan 2013 02:40:05 1,930 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's not fair, there was plenty of crap back then too but only the quality stuff endures and is remembered.

    Im sue Nickleback and Snow Patrol will be remebered just as fondly in 40 years time
  • Tonka 9 Jan 2013 06:46:14 21,360 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nickle who?

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 08:39:25
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Led zeppelin, Marvin Gaye, rolling stones, bob Dylan, pink flloyd, black Sabbath, the who etc all released better albums in the 70s.

    Not saying bowie isn't good, just laughing at the suggestion he ruled the 70s. Maybe if you a bowie super fan.
    In his own way I'd say Bowie ruled the 70s. Nobody else was quite straddling the line between friendly pop and edgy cool like he was. And as said, in terms of a run of albums I think I'd agree that Bowie was more prolific in that sense.

    Also IMO as good as Led Zep and The Who were, I'll put on Queen 9 times out of 10 if I'm in the mood for 70s epic rock.
  • mrpon 9 Jan 2013 08:42:10 29,587 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hi Sue Nickleback, welcome to Eurogamer! Congrats on your sex change.

    Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

  • warlockuk 9 Jan 2013 08:44:01 19,223 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Bowie had more talent back then than the majority of UK musicians put together. Zeppelin did Zeppelin I and Phyisical Graffiti. Maybe III. Bowie wipes th floor with them.

    MUSICIAN FIGHT
    One must not forget Mick Ronson when mentioning Bowie's most prolific output.

    I'm a grumpy bastard.

  • sport 9 Jan 2013 08:44:50 12,811 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Hi Sue Nickleback, welcome to Eurogamer! Congrats on your sex change.
    :-D hehe

    Hi Sue, I love Snow Patrol too.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 08:45:48
    When Kalel first created this thread I'd listened to little Bowie except for the mainstream single releases which it was impossible not to hear growing up. As I respect his opinion a lot I gave Hunky Dory a chance and was instantly hooked. The same goes for all Bowie's output up to Aladdin Sane.

    Everything released thereafter, however, is still yet to grab me. I mean sure there are some stand-out singles but a lot of those later 70s, early 80s albums seem pretty impenetrable to me.

    Oh and for those of you that haven't listened to this yet, enjoy the next hour.

    http://vimeo.com/53207758
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 08:51:41
    The stuff up to Aladin Sane is really accessible, so good for "Bowie Beginners", but I would urge giving his Berlin trilogy Low, Heroes and Lodger a good few listens. They're real growers and incredibly rewarding albums, and most Bowie fans consider them at least among his best.
  • sport 9 Jan 2013 08:52:28 12,811 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kalel only likes Bowie because he's Jewish.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 08:59:46
    Me or Bowie?

    Not sure it makes sense either way.
  • warlockuk 9 Jan 2013 09:05:17 19,223 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Little Wonder was five years too late and shit.

    I'm a grumpy bastard.

  • figgis 9 Jan 2013 13:31:02 7,382 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love Zepplin but there's no way it's close to the output of Bowie. I'll stand by my original assertion no one came close in the 70's to Bowies stuff. There's a surprisingly low duffer ratio. Even 'Bowie at the Beeb' and Pin-up's are decent. Zepplins later stuff is full of awful coke addled bilge. I only got into Bowie properly a few years ago so I'm not a hardcore fan by any means.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 13:45:03
    I'm going to post this again as it appears no-one spotted it.

    Excellent 1-hour-long mix of David Bowie songs put together by 2manyDjs/Radio Soulwax.
  • morriss 9 Jan 2013 13:50:53 71,286 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Bowie had more talent back then than the majority of UK musicians put together. Zeppelin did Zeppelin I and Phyisical Graffiti. Maybe III. Bowie wipes th floor with them.

    MUSICIAN FIGHT
    One must not forget Mick Ronson when mentioning Bowie's most prolific output.
    If one looks on page two, I said the very same thing back in 2008. :)

    Edited by morriss at 13:51:10 09-01-2013
  • Dougs 9 Jan 2013 13:52:22 69,535 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice, DL the app now to have a listen on the way home tonight.
  • LeoliansBro 9 Jan 2013 13:53:14 44,961 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    I'm going to post this again as it appears no-one spotted it.

    Excellent 1-hour-long mix of David Bowie songs put together by 2manyDjs/Radio Soulwax.
    I love you.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 13:56:24
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    HairyArse wrote:
    I'm going to post this again as it appears no-one spotted it.

    Excellent 1-hour-long mix of David Bowie songs put together by 2manyDjs/Radio Soulwax.
    I love you.
    You're welcome. It is brilliant, too.
  • kinky_mong 9 Jan 2013 14:24:49 10,868 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    HairyArse wrote:
    I'm going to post this again as it appears no-one spotted it.

    Excellent 1-hour-long mix of David Bowie songs put together by 2manyDjs/Radio Soulwax.
    I love you.
    You're welcome. It is brilliant, too.
    It sure is! Thanks very much Sir HairyArse!

    All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

  • Dougs 9 Jan 2013 14:30:50 69,535 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sheeet, it's 563MB, need to find a wifi hotspot.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 14:31:42
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6wts7Ahzz8 if that helps.
  • Dougs 9 Jan 2013 14:36:59 69,535 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nah, want to DL it to listen to whilst travelling. There's a Cloud hotspot at Waterloo, will grab it from there.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 14:40:08
    I've ripped the YouTube audio to MP3 and uploaded it to my webspace if anyone wants a link.
  • Dougs 9 Jan 2013 14:41:10 69,535 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Please!
  • Dougs 9 Jan 2013 14:51:25 69,535 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A true gent! Cheers, that's most of the commute sorted.
  • localnotail 9 Jan 2013 21:24:32 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    Oh and for those of you that haven't listened to this yet, enjoy the next hour.

    http://vimeo.com/53207758
    This is marvellous, thank you. I might listen to it again :D

    edit: Ha, serves me right for not reading the rest. Would love the MP3 if poss, cheers.

    Edited by localnotail at 21:26:01 09-01-2013

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • Tom_Servo 1 Mar 2013 18:53:16 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The new album is streaming on iTunes. Never really got into Bowie, but it's getting rave reviews so I might as well give it a go.
  • Deleted user 1 March 2013 19:14:07
    Bought the 'best of' album. 70s Bowie would kick the living shit out of 80s Bowie imo.

    Brilliant.
  • Mr_Sleep 1 Mar 2013 19:18:43 17,389 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The stuff up to Aladin Sane is really accessible, so good for "Bowie Beginners", but I would urge giving his Berlin trilogy Low, Heroes and Lodger a good few listens. They're real growers and incredibly rewarding albums, and most Bowie fans consider them at least among his best.
    I've never really taken to The Lodger, I prefer the other two from that period. Isn't Station to Station in that period too? That's a great record. My favourite Bowie changes quite a lot but I keep going back to Young Americans for some reason, his cod funk/soul seems trite but I love it.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • Deleted user 14 March 2013 15:09:31
    He's going back on tour!
  • Page

    of 5 First / Last

Log in or register to reply