3DS screen design fault

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Dolly 10 Jun 2011 18:27:45 3,163 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey, Rather than faff around taking pictures etc, I'll just point you to this link here, which I found after a quick google.

I started to notice these scratches on the top screen of my 3DS a few weeks ago and whilst initially they rubbed off, they are now permanent identical scratches on each side :(

I've had my 3DS since launch and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue? I've called Nintendo support and they have sent out a freepost sticker to me, but advised that scratches are not actually covered as part of their free repairs. They then said that they will assess the damage and call me to authorise any charges before starting the works however. They can get to fook if they think I'm paying for what looks like a pretty serious manufacturing fault! I take really good care of my electronics and would gladly have used a foam inlay or such if instructed to at launch, but I'm not paying for their QA fuck-up.

I'll let you guys know how the saga unwinds over the next or so anyway...the same week my pre-ordered Zelda is due to arrive.....
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 10 Jun 2011 18:30:25 36,282 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey, yeah I get those. They move when you adjust the 3D.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• mal 10 Jun 2011 18:45:59 21,960 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can see an imprint of where the bottom screen edges are on top of the screen protector I've got fitted to the top screen, but they just wipe off. That image just looks like the internal reflection you get at the edge of any multi-layered device.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Pirotic Moderator 10 Jun 2011 19:14:23 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's a manufacturing fault rather than a design fault, on most systems the little feet on the corners of the top screen make contact first when closed, but on some the rim of the lower screen makes contact first which leaves scratch after repeat closing. On my system the feet 'just' make contact first which is lucky. It's a very common problem and pretty terrible considering the 3D effect on the top screen really highlights any micro-scratches/dust/dead-pixels you have on it.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2011 19:17:35
    Yeah I have them too, pretty shabby design.
  • mal 10 Jun 2011 19:22:38 21,960 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    It's a manufacturing fault rather than a design fault, on most systems the little feet on the corners of the top screen make contact first when closed, but on some the rim of the lower screen makes contact first which leaves scratch after repeat closing. On my system the feet 'just' make contact first which is lucky. It's a very common problem and pretty terrible considering the 3D effect on the top screen really highlights any micro-scratches/dust/dead-pixels you have on it.

If the difference between a working unit and a scratching unit is a matter of microns, I'd say that's a design fault in not allowing enough tolerance in manufacture, personally.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Raiko101 10 Jun 2011 19:28:46 5,540 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Same thing happens to me. I thought it was because I closed the lid too hard, but it happens if I just leave it closed for too long. I should consider putting something between the screens.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Pirotic Moderator 10 Jun 2011 19:31:19 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good point, it's weird though because I'm pretty sure most of my consoles (and subsequent replacements) look and feel completely identical. Where as with the 3ds it seems every system has it's own quirks, I've used a few where the hinges are tight as nuts and others where the top screen flops about like puppy ears.
  • Mr-Brett 10 Jun 2011 21:54:50 12,676 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I noticed these the other day, and they do just wipe away the moment, I might try putting something in between though, good idea.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Dolly 10 Jun 2011 22:09:12 3,163 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    I noticed these the other day, and they do just wipe away the moment, I might try putting something in between though, good idea.

It's definitely worth it mate. If I could go back and do the same now, then I would :( I just wonder if this is something that's going to really start kicking off in the next few months for folks?
  • Mr-Brett 10 Jun 2011 22:13:19 12,676 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I found an old glasses wipe, that should do the job.

I doubt it'll get to RROD levels but I could see this becoming a headline issue...

Portable view - Never forget.

• Fake_Blood 10 Jun 2011 22:19:16 3,834 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've got them too, but they are invisible when the display is on.
  • Raiko101 11 Jun 2011 13:06:30 5,540 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If anybody still has the box the 3DS came in, there is a plastic-like cloth thing in there that was used to keep the screens from touching anyways. It's what i'm using at the minute.

• Deleted user 17 June 2011 21:36:12
    Help! Ive just started noticing a row of vertical wavy lines appearing on my bottom screen, like some sort of interference. These lines only seem to be distinguishable when the screen is a solid colour, and only appear prominent in certain lighting.

Tried ignoring it, but its beginning to get annoying now.

Any ideas?
  • spamdangled 17 Jun 2011 21:45:48 27,197 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've recently noticed two vertical lines, on either side of the top screen, running from top to bottom. They're about 5mm from the edge of the display, and the 3d effect doesn't seem to work beyond them. Anyone else seen this?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• espibara 17 Jun 2011 22:29:40 4,156 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Screen: Its main fault is that its too small
  • chrisp 19 Jun 2011 12:12:29 473 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just noticed this on mine, too, although the marks currently wipe away with a cloth. Still, I've put that bit of material in between the screens as a precaution. Bit of a faff that you have to keep doing that, though... I've had a screen protector on since day 1 anyway, so any damage would be to that not the screen, but I'd rather no scratching at all!
  • Gearskin 19 Jun 2011 12:41:00 2,037 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was going to say, took me a while to find them in the right light, but they wiped clean with a cloth. I've just put the old grey cleaning cloth which came with the original DS in there.
  • FooAtari 19 Jun 2011 17:24:10 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Glad a I use screen protectors on my devices. Pretty poor design that.
  • TheEarlOfZinger 22 Jun 2011 08:55:02 5 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Put a microfibre cleaning cloth over the bottom touchscreen before closing the lid of the system - they'll never touch. I have done this since a couple of months ago and there hasn't been any 'wear' lines appear on my 3DS screen.

I did try screen protectors but they made the (black 3ds) system look really tacky and cheap.
  • Dolly 22 Jun 2011 11:02:20 3,163 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Still no pre-paid postage sticker posted out to me by Nintendo at this time...

Edit: Will be giving them another call tonight. Not a good start really.
  • Popzeus 22 Jun 2011 11:16:26 8,250 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have lines there on the right hand side but not scratches, they wipe off when I can be bothered to do so.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Dolly 23 Jun 2011 09:33:25 3,163 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I called Nintendo last night, who advised that the pre-paid envelope should have been received within 3 days (it's now been 8 working days), so they are going to post me another one out today. Just getting properly stuck into Zelda now as well :(

I am fully prepared to go batshit crazy if they even think about charging me for this. I am going to send full printouts of all the internet articles on the fault I can find, as well as threaten to write to Watchdog and get any type of ombudsman etc involved that I can.

They just fucked with the wrong gamer!
  • Raiko101 23 Jun 2011 14:06:45 5,540 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Do it man! Do it for all of us!

• Popzeus 23 Jun 2011 16:30:34 8,250 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't write to Watchdog over anything 'subculturey' like this, they'll make you look like a weirdo.

I know someone who wrote to Watchdog about a Glastonbury tickets balls-up and ended up being made to sit in a tent in the studio, in wellies, being patronised by Alice Beer.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• mikew1985 23 Jun 2011 16:39:16 12,067 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just noticed these lines appearing today :(

Think they rubbed off, but if its something thats gonna get worse, it could really fuck the image on the top screen up.
  • Buztafen 23 Jun 2011 16:40:50 15,957 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As long as i dont have to look at Alice Beers face she could patronise me all she wants.
  • Dolly 23 Jun 2011 16:43:08 3,163 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    As long as i dont have to look at Alice Beers face she could patronise me all she wants.

Fuck me, that's a pair! O_O
  • Acteon 24 Jun 2011 12:32:07 86 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm really pleased the OP made this thread - I'd noticed these lines but thought nothing of them since they wiped away. I'll be very careful with it now.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous