• Page

of 1344 First / Last

• Deleted user 19 November 2012 11:25:49
    Sadly, people are thick.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Nov 2012 11:26:55 10,240 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    I had an interesting conversation/argument with my family last night at our weekly get together. Every adult in the room was trying to convince me that the Wii U was a new Nintendo handheld, bigger than the DS with a big joystick. I had to go online to show them that it was a whole new console. I still don't think they believe me :)

I haven't seen the TV ads, but this is clearly something they have to address for your average punter.
    People are muppets and keeping the Wii name was fucking stupid.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Whizzo 19 Nov 2012 11:27:17 43,031 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You would have thought Nintendo would have learnt the lesson of the 3DS and given it a completely different name.

This space left intentionally blank.

• kalel 19 Nov 2012 11:27:57 86,240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    You would have thought Nintendo would have learnt the lesson of the 3DS and given it a completely different name.
    But then it would have to be a completely different console.
  • Blakester 19 Nov 2012 11:28:52 3,567 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I guess the challenge for Nintendo marketing is that the controller is the USP. But to the average punter it does looks like a handheld console.

It may have been smarter for them to have a slightly more unique console, rather than aping the style of the Wii.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• kalel 19 Nov 2012 11:31:32 86,240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wii is a brand in itself, and one that has a huge new audience which made it a massive success. It's completely understandable that they've gone with the name they have imo. Possibly a mistake, but understandable.
  • Ultrasoundwave 19 Nov 2012 11:32:46 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ugh, all these positive review scores are going to fuck me right up.

My full intention was to buy one "for the mrs" for xmas and have a few people over for an Eggnog/Wii U night over the holidays.

However, all this positive feedback is making me hover over the 'pre-order' button on Shopto.

All this, despite the fact that after the initial 'OMGITSNEWANDSHINY!!' phase passes it will probably take second (or third) fiddle behind the 360/PS3.

/ Sigh

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Lexx87 19 Nov 2012 11:33:21 20,869 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Surely then just 'Wii 2' would have solved all of their problems.

Speak the truth hussy!

• LeoliansBro 19 Nov 2012 11:33:24 43,132 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This was all highly interesting until I saw some playthroughs over the weekend. ZombiU looks derivative and shit, there were launch titles on the 360 and PS3 with more invention. Nintendoland looks wafer thin and the games themselves a diversion at best. NSMB is the same as the last NSMB, and the 27 Mario platform games before that. Nothing else of note.

So, in conclusion: nah.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 19 Nov 2012 11:34:52 43,132 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really don't get why these games get such high scores, either. Very polished, yes. Original, absolutely not.

Started with my puzzlement over 10/10 for Skyward Sword. Anyone think that still sticks?

• RobAnybody 19 Nov 2012 11:37:55 881 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Latest list of problems from those fussy beggars on Neogaf .......

- 1GB day one firmware update via slow servers.
    - Individual updates for every single game so they can access Miiverse.
    - Slow, laggy operating system menus. (Nintendo have at least acknowledged this particular issue and have said that they are working on it .....)
    - Almost if not every 360/PS3 port has inferior visuals and/or performance to their current gen counterparts.
    - GamePad and pro controllers unusable for character control in NSMBU multiplayer.
    - Crashes/freezes.
    - User accidentally accesses debug version of main menu.
    - Another user accidentally access admin control of Miiverse, reading messages from one of the Miiverse creators/programmers.
    - Nintendo IDs tied to systems, no option to transfer yet.
    - Audio/video tied to HDMI or component, no option for one on either.
    - TV remote control does not work with receivers. Therefore if you wish to use surround sound via HDMI, you have no TV GamePad control.
    - No option to change the screen size of the whole system, just for a few apps.
    - Cant turn off the screen on the controller AND at the same time select for the Wii U to shut itself off when a download completes.
    - The disc drive spins always if there's a disc in the drive. Always.
    - A 1.6 gig game (Mario) took 2 hours to download, and then took 20 (!) minutes to install.
    - Display on the Gamepad can be distracting when playing the game on the TV

These are of course just the negatives, there are plenty of positives too (but strangely enough, no-one has made a list of them yet). Generally though, and despite all of the problems, the majority seem to like/love the system.

I think we should be grateful to our American cousins for Beta testing the Wii U for us. ;)

Edited by RobAnybody at 11:56:24 19-11-2012
  • Psychotext 19 Nov 2012 11:51:58 53,775 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't believe that you can't use your login on other systems... just, so backwards. Nintendo really don't get online.
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Nov 2012 11:59:12 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @LeoliansBro reviews of Nintendoland say it's far better than other mini game complications and has a surprising amount of depth. It's also meant to be great fun.

The reviews of NSMBU suggest it's the best and most incentive of the series yet.
  • Raiko101 19 Nov 2012 11:59:22 6,051 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To who ever was asking about the compatibility of the original Wii remotes on the Wii U, i've quoted this from the official Nintendo website.

"The Wii U console is capable of supporting two Wii U GamePad controllers, up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers or Wii U Pro Controllers, and Wii accessories such as the Nunchuk, Classic Controller and Wii Balance Board."

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• nickthegun 19 Nov 2012 12:05:25 58,782 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A 1.6 gig game (Mario) took 2 hours to download, and then took 20 (!) minutes to install
    Seriously now, do japanese companies just not understand the internet? How can both Nintendo AND sony get it so wrong?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kalel 19 Nov 2012 12:10:30 86,240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Surely then just 'Wii 2' would have solved all of their problems.
    Yeah, probably. I suppose the argument against that is once you start a number convention, the expectation is that you'll continue it. Dunno, I'm sure they did the relevant research and had reasonable reason for what they came up with.
  • LeoliansBro 19 Nov 2012 12:11:46 43,132 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @LeoliansBro reviews of Nintendoland say it's far better than other mini game complications and has a surprising amount of depth. It's also meant to be great fun.

The reviews of NSMBU suggest it's the best and most incentive of the series yet.
    They're still a series of minigames and a side-scrolling platformer though.

• Raiko101 19 Nov 2012 12:12:11 6,051 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My biggest concerns from that list of problems are with system stability. Not liking the fact that games seem to crash, or have trouble switching over to the GamePad (Darksiders II, according to IGN), or that menus are seemingly laggy. I hope these are all things that can be addressed with updates.

• Raiko101 19 Nov 2012 12:15:40 6,051 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't turn off or reset the Wii U during the system update!

I guess it goes without saying really.

Edited by Raiko101 at 12:16:42 19-11-2012

• nickthegun 19 Nov 2012 12:15:47 58,782 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    My biggest concerns from that list of problems are with system stability. Not liking the fact that games seem to crash, or have trouble switching over to the GamePad (Darksiders II, according to IGN), or that menus are seemingly laggy. I hope these are all things that can be addressed with updates.
    It should. I had a disastrous time with my PSP. It crashed literally every 10 minutes, wouldnt connect to the wifi and when it did, it lost connection very quickly and took the machine with it. It was an absolute fucking disaster but the first firmware update solved every issue that I had with it.

It does, however, make you wonder how these consoles are being released in this state in the first place.

He totally called it

• nickthegun 19 Nov 2012 12:19:19 58,782 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:

Tbf, this is the case for almost every electronic device in the world, but if its a day one update thats taking over two hours to download, you cant really blame people for thinking 'fuck this' and turning it off.

He totally called it

• RobAnybody 19 Nov 2012 12:19:24 881 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:

And pray that you don't have a power cut ...........
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Nov 2012 12:24:43 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @LeoliansBro well if you feel that way why on earth are you on the WiiU thread?
  • Raiko101 19 Nov 2012 12:25:05 6,051 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Raiko101 wrote:

Tbf, this is the case for almost every electronic device in the world, but if its a day one update thats taking over two hours to download, you cant really blame people for thinking 'fuck this' and turning it off.
    It's going to be hard to leave the thing alone when it arrives. Those two hours are going to be painful.

• DUFFMAN5 19 Nov 2012 12:30:52 14,381 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @RobAnybody
    That list is scary. Although to be fair I will most likely get a 720,next xbox on day 1, controller dependant and that will have loads of faults.

I have no desire to buy the wiiU due 99% of that controller. I'm old school (I even spell school correctly ;) ) and just want a nice fitting pad to play my games. I have a wii, I do not use it much, but then I don't use the ps3 much either. Saying that playing Xenoblade Chronicles with a pad is excellent.

Will always be interested to read fellow EGers view of the games and hardware.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Armoured_Bear 19 Nov 2012 12:48:45 10,240 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I really don't get why these games get such high scores, either. Very polished, yes. Original, absolutely not.

Started with my puzzlement over 10/10 for Skyward Sword. Anyone think that still sticks?
    Since when do games have to be dazzlingly original to get high scores?

The SS 10/10 is ridiculous, as much as I loved parts of it, I can't believe most reviews ignored the mind blowingly bad aspects of the game.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• kalel 19 Nov 2012 13:01:03 86,240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Clash of the giants coming up here.
  • vyseofhr 19 Nov 2012 13:06:29 818 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    And off he goes again.

NNID: vyseofhr