Wii U Page 246

• Page

of 1343 First / Last

• Phattso Moderator 19 Nov 2012 09:07:00 13,188 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Phattso wrote:
    I take it you'll be excluding the 8/10 score from the aggregation in your Nintendo Review Binder then, Armoured_Boar?
    You'll be adding that post to your pointless trolling mod achievements binder then?
    It's only pointless if it doesn't hurt you a little inside. FEEL THE PAIN, FUCKER!

But really: without even having read the review, or the context of the quote, you immediately dismissed it and called the reviewer's credentials into question and lumped him in with forum fanbois. And you _did_ dismiss it, because you said you couldn't take anything seriously from a person that made that visual comparison.

Let's not forget: he's played it You haven't. You can't pick a random screenshot and go "ooh look! pretty!" because a game isn't played as screenshots (well, unless you're on a PS3 and the framerate drops). Maybe the overall style, lighting and animations have a distinctly last-gen feel to them.

So in short: don't dismiss what was actually a pretty good dissection of a game just because it sets off your butthurt Nintendo sensor!

Edited by Phattso at 09:08:40 19-11-2012
  • AcidSnake 19 Nov 2012 09:08:01 7,213 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So we have 9, 9 and 8 so far then from EG?

I still don't think I'll get a Wii U at launch but I'm happy about these scores (and quite surprised by ZombiiU)...If some of the other games get high votes it might become a sudden Christmas present...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Phattso Moderator 19 Nov 2012 09:09:35 13,188 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I've been surprised by the EG scores. Pleasantly so. Not enough to buy one, and certainly not anytime soon, but down the line if it keeps up this sort of quality it'll be a nice bargain purchase.
  • andijames 19 Nov 2012 09:14:52 2,693 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    henrix wrote:
    Whaaa?

Seems that somebody has accidentally stumbled upon a debug menu that lets them moderate any comments left on the miiverse. Its early days but the thread is getting bigger and bigger. Hard to keep track. Oh dear.
    Looks like they'll have game images running from a hard disk in about a month again then by the looks of the security on this :/

Seriously they need to improve their security and not just hire a former guard from the local toys r us to lockdown the system.

vivir el momento

• RobAnybody 19 Nov 2012 09:27:56 881 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    andijames wrote:
    henrix wrote:
    Whaaa?

Seems that somebody has accidentally stumbled upon a debug menu that lets them moderate any comments left on the miiverse. Its early days but the thread is getting bigger and bigger. Hard to keep track. Oh dear.
    Looks like they'll have game images running from a hard disk in about a month again then by the looks of the security on this :/

Seriously they need to improve their security and not just hire a former guard from the local toys r us to lockdown the system.
    Apparently that Gamepad controller was displaying that screen when first powered on, ie it probably hadn't been flashed at the factory.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Nov 2012 09:29:48 10,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Phattso wrote:
    I take it you'll be excluding the 8/10 score from the aggregation in your Nintendo Review Binder then, Armoured_Boar?
    You'll be adding that post to your pointless trolling mod achievements binder then?
    It's only pointless if it doesn't hurt you a little inside. FEEL THE PAIN, FUCKER!

But really: without even having read the review, or the context of the quote, you immediately dismissed it and called the reviewer's credentials into question and lumped him in with forum fanbois. And you _did_ dismiss it, because you said you couldn't take anything seriously from a person that made that visual comparison.

Let's not forget: he's played it You haven't. You can't pick a random screenshot and go "ooh look! pretty!" because a game isn't played as screenshots (well, unless you're on a PS3 and the framerate drops). Maybe the overall style, lighting and animations have a distinctly last-gen feel to them.

So in short: don't dismiss what was actually a pretty good dissection of a game just because it sets off your butthurt Nintendo sensor!
    The review may have been fine but that one comment is ridiculous, that's a simple fact. Why didn't I comment on all the negative reviews?
    I don't know how good or bad the game is yet, I do know that it doesn't look like a Wii game.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 19 Nov 2012 09:31:58 10,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    So we have 9, 9 and 8 so far then from EG?

I still don't think I'll get a Wii U at launch but I'm happy about these scores (and quite surprised by ZombiiU)...If some of the other games get high votes it might become a sudden Christmas present...
    Some very high scores but also some pretty low ones.
    I'm not sure if part of that is down to reviewers really appreciating/being frustrated by it being more like old-school Survival Horror than L4D...

• AcidSnake 19 Nov 2012 09:44:15 7,213 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, I was just referring to EG's scores...Mainly because I'm used to their review style and even though the numbers might not always coincide with my personal opinion the text usually mentions the right things...

It could really have used a 10 though...Pikmin could have pulled it off...

Would like to see what the WiiU version of Sonic Racing gets too...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• ryohazuki1983 19 Nov 2012 09:50:01 727 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So then, does the Wii U only support WiiMotes with built-in motionplus? I've had my Wii since launch, so only have one motionplus controller, but thats with the little dongle.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Nov 2012 09:50:49 10,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Well, I was just referring to EG's scores...Mainly because I'm used to their review style and even though the numbers might not always coincide with my personal opinion the text usually mentions the right things...

It could really have used a 10 though...Pikmin could have pulled it off...

Would like to see what the WiiU version of Sonic Racing gets too...
    Sure, EG are the review I most trust.
    A 10 would have been nice, I guess we'll have to wait for Pikmin 3 or The Wonderful 101 :-)

I think I read some comments on Sonic Racing not being as solid in terms of framerate but that may be an old build, let's see what the review says.
    I tried it yesterday on the PS3, seems good but the music and menu voices annoyed me to bits :-(

• RyanDS 19 Nov 2012 09:51:37 9,050 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh for fucks sake.

Confirmed on the front page that if your Wii U breaks you lose your account. Why the fuck are nintendo so opposed to having actual accounts for people linked to something other than the console itself? It's like they are stuck in 1995.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Nov 2012 09:51:40 10,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ryohazuki1983 wrote:
    So then, does the Wii U only support WiiMotes with built-in motionplus? I've had my Wii since launch, so only have one motionplus controller, but thats with the little dongle.
    I think it only supports Wiimote Plus, doesn't matter whether it's with the dongle or integrated AFAIK.

• roz123 19 Nov 2012 09:52:37 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Yeah, I've been surprised by the EG scores. Pleasantly so. Not enough to buy one, and certainly not anytime soon, but down the line if it keeps up this sort of quality it'll be a nice bargain purchase.
    Can we get a Wii u category now reviews and impressions for different games are appearing?
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Nov 2012 09:53:09 10,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Oh for fucks sake.

Confirmed on the front page that if your Wii U breaks you lose your account. Why the fuck are nintendo so opposed to having actual accounts for people linked to something other than the console itself? It's like they are stuck in 1995.
    That's utterly retarded, they really need to change that FFS:

• ryohazuki1983 19 Nov 2012 09:57:18 727 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    ryohazuki1983 wrote:
    I think it only supports Wiimote Plus, doesn't matter whether it's with the dongle or integrated AFAIK.
    Cheers mate, I've read various things online about compatibility :)
  • Buenos_Estente 19 Nov 2012 09:58:41 268 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So tesco have wii u in stock.. is this a lie?

3ds - 3909-7778-4988 / Xbox live - Buenos E
    PSN/NNID - Buenos1980

• ResidentKnievel 19 Nov 2012 10:00:26 6,102 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• AcidSnake 19 Nov 2012 10:02:02 7,213 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ResidentKnievel:
    Any context with that image?
    The list also mentions MGS and RE...

• Armoured_Bear 19 Nov 2012 10:04:31 10,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anandtech teardown

• andijames 19 Nov 2012 10:08:33 2,693 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @AcidSnake

It's a screen grab of a guy who managed to get into the moderation section of the comments in the miiverse (by the technical method of accidentally pressing x on the close button on the screen apparently!). Think this list shows the comment sections that are set up. Suggests future games maybe?

vivir el momento

• Phattso Moderator 19 Nov 2012 10:08:36 13,188 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The review may have been fine but that one comment is ridiculous, that's a simple fact. Why didn't I comment on all the negative reviews?
    I don't know how good or bad the game is yet, I do know that it doesn't look like a Wii game.
    Here's the section in full:

This is all typified by regular and slow loading times, plus graphics that, if we're being nice, wouldn't look too out of place on a Wii, let alone the Wii U. I'm no graphical nut, and I like my horror ugly, but I'm a little disappointed by a game that looks this poor while being so buggy and slow to load.

It's not quite the same as saying "this looks like a Wii game" but it is quite damning.

The loading times alone would be enough to put me off this one anyway, but having looked at a few screenshots I'm sorta seeing where this is coming from. For sure it's higher res, has some shader work, and clearly hasn't come from a Wii on a base technical level. But looking at its overall graphical appeal, that ephemeral summation of all the things that a game does with its visuals, it is very... Wii-like. Not trolling here, that's my take from the screenshots. I'd need to see it in motion to see if that exacerbates things.

And hell, considering how long you championed the Wii visuals it's a bit surprising for you to be taking this as such a negative. Resolution aside, some Wii games actually gave their proper next-gen console cousins a run for their money.
  • the_dudefather 19 Nov 2012 10:13:20 9,177 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt are pretty keen on Nintendo

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• AcidSnake 19 Nov 2012 10:13:45 7,213 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @andijames:
    Cheers...
    Though couldn't it just be threads created by users?
    Or a doctored screenshot?...

• Armoured_Bear 19 Nov 2012 10:18:57 10,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yoshi's Island Wii U sounds good if true :-)

• Scurrminator 19 Nov 2012 10:19:03 8,376 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    ryohazuki1983 wrote:
    I can't speak for the retail kits but the test kits work with all wii remote types

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Armoured_Bear 19 Nov 2012 10:21:03 10,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    ryohazuki1983 wrote:
    I can't speak for the retail kits but the test kits work with all wii remote types
    Show off :-)

• Deleted user 19 November 2012 11:04:03
    The accounts thing is odd. I swear i seen a screenshot saying use existing account. but its confirmed on nintendos end so..... bizarre
  • Cappy 19 Nov 2012 11:06:24 11,826 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I'm not sure if part of that is down to reviewers really appreciating/being frustrated by it being more like old-school Survival Horror than L4D...
    From my brief skim of the damning reviews the problem is not that it's 'survival horror' but it's simply annoying people. ZombiU has all the right components but misses one, you should be able to avoid fights, escape should be relatively easy.

First person melee combat is generally awful anyway but having to hit a zombie on the head ten or fifteen times with your cricket bat or whatever every time you encounter one in ZombiU because they've got a grab move that makes running through them too risky is just not going to be fun for some people.

Sooner or later you stop being scared and just sigh at the prospect of another ropey first person combat cycle that steals another few minutes of your life.

Launch reviews for the first system out of the gate are notoriously dodgy anyway, ZombiU could be the long lost son of Red Steel, or remembered as a cult classic in five years time.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Nov 2012 11:18:05 10,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    From my brief skim of the damning reviews the problem is not that it's 'survival horror' but it's simply annoying people. ZombiU has all the right components but misses one, you should be able to avoid fights, escape should be relatively easy.

First person melee combat is generally awful anyway but having to hit a zombie on the head ten or fifteen times with your cricket bat or whatever every time you encounter one in ZombiU because they've got a grab move that makes running through them too risky is just not going to be fun for some people.

Sooner or later you stop being scared and just sigh at the prospect of another ropey first person combat cycle that steals another few minutes of your life.

Launch reviews for the first system out of the gate are notoriously dodgy anyway, ZombiU could be the long lost son of Red Steel, or remembered as a cult classic in five years time.
    Fair enough, I though I read one review where he was basically complaining it wasn't RE6 like.

We'll see, I suspect it may annoy me.

• DaM 19 Nov 2012 11:24:16 12,883 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had an interesting conversation/argument with my family last night at our weekly get together. Every adult in the room was trying to convince me that the Wii U was a new Nintendo handheld, bigger than the DS with a big joystick. I had to go online to show them that it was a whole new console. I still don't think they believe me :)

I haven't seen the TV ads, but this is clearly something they have to address for your average punter.
  • Page

of 1343 First / Last