Wii U Page 192

• Page

of 1365 First / Last

• Deleted user 18 October 2012 13:06:18
    Id like to learn anything about the online before the UK launch.
  • mal 18 Oct 2012 14:25:27 22,605 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The fifth page of that Iwata asks feature mentions the pad's got a geomag sensor, which I'd not noticed being announced before. That would be a way for it to calibrate its motion sensors without having to spot the sensor bar with its IR camera, but I dunno if they'll use it like that or not. I'd guess they'll use the IR camera for interacting with the telly - like we saw back at one E3 or another where you could send drawings from the pad to the TV, but use the geomag sensor in most other gameplay contexts. Just a guess though.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ResidentKnievel 18 Oct 2012 18:51:03 6,216 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They've Nintendofied voice chat

For a console that emphasizes on-line friend interaction it's a bit silly to have using voice chat on it to be a massive headache.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 18:51:17 18-10-2012

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Gaol 18 Oct 2012 19:08:24 2,420 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not having a headphone jack with the 40 Pro controller is a schoolboy error if there is no wireless solution.
  • Bremenacht 18 Oct 2012 19:18:40 18,459 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @Bremenacht

You are making out like I pulled it out of the air, and Nintendo's hardware design department didn't initially try infra-red for the console. I can assure you they did, just like they reiterate exactly what I said about the issues with radio wave.
    You did pull it out of the air. You guessed what Nintendo were using IR for and got it wrong. Reinventing what you meant after some facts have been established is cringeworthy.

vizzini wrote:
    Had the data rate proved fast enough using IR for their gaming needs, then there were financial and resilience reasons for them using it in preference to radio wave. You can always fix light wave issues in your house to provide ideal conditions, you can't necessarily control the radio wave interference, and in some very small minority of houses around the world WiiU pad streaming of complex 3D games will not work reliably even sat on the sofa.
    This is how your long-winded posts always go: pick a non-issue and then argue against it. Did anyone vouch for the non-issue in the first place? No, but off you go and waffle about it. ISO stack anyone? How about fixing the 'light wave issues' in your house to make your game console work? Great idea that! It's an absolute crime that your amazing insights into console design haven't been rewarded with a top job at one of these companies, rather than being rewarded with more entries onto peoples ignore lists. Also - Radio wave interference cannot be controlled? Shame that. I'd love for WiFi to become popular. :D

vizzini wrote:
    Trying to dumb down conversations is maybe something you should apologize for.
    Given how you've managed to dumb-up this thread with conjecture, bullshit, blocks of waffle and non-issues that no-one cares for or asked for, I think I'll ignore your pathetic suggestion.

roz123 wrote:
    The gamepad has infra red so you can use it as a TV remote, everyone found this out very early on and no one thought infra red was being used to stream the images except Vizzini. Anyone who has used infra red to transfer a file would tell you that its extremely slow and the idea that it can be used to stream data across a room instantly is completely fucking retarded.
    Luckily no one told him about the near field communication otherwise he would probably assume you have to constantly rub the pad up against the console to get it to work.
    :D
  • Bremenacht 18 Oct 2012 19:21:40 18,459 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @Mikew1985
    I don't understand your reason for non-technical heckling, have you advanced any discussion in comments or the forum, I can read?
    Have you? No.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2012 20:31:39
    @Bremenacht

You are flat out wrong. IR was the only thing mentioned after the original E3 unveil, and it became a discussion point I advanced in these comment because they hadn't clarified(Nintendos fault not mine), and I hadn't heard anything official ruling it out. The mention of the advert was official, hence why my opinion changed.

And take your pick from all the faceoffs before any mention of gamma correction/crushed blacks, pseudo HDR on 24bit GPUs, sharper image(aka missing fog), linear fog versus exponent fog. 30bit Colour(deep colour), micro architecture versus super scalar, homogeneous versus heterogeneous architectures. How 1.1 billion vertices rendering on Nvidia GPU doesn't mean 250M poly/sec sent to the vertex pipeline under optimised conditions, but much closer to 1.1billion polys/sec.

Even gears 3's AA looks like a comment/suggestion I made 6months before the beta.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2012 20:49:17
    Bremenacht: Also - Radio wave interference cannot be controlled? Shame that. I'd love for WiFi to become popular.

So are you officially confirming that the WiiU controller operates in the same frequency width as WiFi and therefore with WiFi's range? Is it not more likely it operates in Bluetooth's limited 2400-2480Mhz range and suffers the same acute interference problems in some scenarios as Nintendo have described?
  • Deleted user 18 October 2012 20:57:00
    Gaol wrote:
    Not having a headphone jack with the 40 Pro controller is a schoolboy error if there is no wireless solution.
    seems odd. surely they can use blue tooth like the ps3 does? I know this is nintendo. But i flat out refuse to believe teh machine can't handle wireless mics/headsets?

Does the 360 pad have a jack built into it? the ps3 doesn't?
  • richardiox 18 Oct 2012 21:01:29 5,611 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vizzini really is a worthless piece of shit.
  • Fake_Blood 18 Oct 2012 21:07:06 4,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Vizzini is strange, it's like he read a bunch of tech articles but then drew all the wrong conclusions.
  • ronuds 18 Oct 2012 21:09:16 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They could always make it so the built-in mic and speakers work like a headset - no? Seems too obvious, I suppose.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2012 21:17:31
    ronuds wrote:
    They could always make it so the built-in mic and speakers work like a headset - no? Seems too obvious, I suppose.
    The normal gamepad is fine. The pro controller doesn't have a jack built into it. So kotaku and gaf are going ape shit over it.

Oddly enough no wireless headsets are available in the accessorie range. But that probably just come down the line.
  • ronuds 18 Oct 2012 21:42:02 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @joelstinton - Sorry, thought the article said the Pro had a mic and speakers. Guess it's not so obvious. :p

Pictures show it has what looks like a USB port on top? It has to have something to recharge.
  • Fake_Blood 18 Oct 2012 21:46:20 4,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago

PROBLEM SOLVED
  • Deleted user 18 October 2012 22:33:39
    Went to the wii u demo thing today in Derby. Underwhelmed. Zombi u was buggy, slow loading, terrible slow down when changing weapon and looking away from the screen really kills any immersion. Graphics very dubious as well.

Alarmingly , on panorama u the touch screen was broken on one pad and the other was unresponsive. Very few of the staff seem to know much about it either and actually seemed to outnumber the public when I was there.

Mario was great but not entirely sure worth getting the console for.

The whole voice chat thing seems insanely stupid and makes me wonder what,if any, lue Nintendo has for wii u online!
  • AcidSnake 18 Oct 2012 23:03:06 7,282 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @vizzini:
    Look, the first time I've heard anything about IR/line-of-sight was when you mentioned it some weeks ago in this thread...I'm not saying I've read every single article back at this E3 where they unveiled the wiiU but I would've remembered something like that...
    So now, to put this discussion behind us please provide a source to your earlier claims...Otherwise I'm filing it under "was wrong, too proud to admit"...

Also that second paragraph made you sound like a spam-bot, but that might have been your intention :)

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Deleted user 19 October 2012 00:14:45
    @AcidSnakes

I did try to re-find the info at the time I mentioned IR in this thread, but without success. If I was wrong about what I thought I saw/read at the time, then I certainly would have no problem in admitting to a mistake. Much like a repeated mistake I made years ago in a faceoff discussion about the RSX being OpenGL3.x/OpenCL capable, which it certainly isn't.

AcidSnakes: Also that second paragraph made you sound like a spam-bot, but that might have been your intention

No complete fluke, I'm not fluent in spam-bot, but how would you have rewritten the paragraph to retain the points of information, but without the spam? :)
  • Bremenacht 19 Oct 2012 01:26:38 18,459 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @Bremenacht

You are flat out wrong. IR was the only thing mentioned after the original E3 unveil, and it became a discussion point I advanced in these comment because they hadn't clarified(Nintendos fault not mine), and I hadn't heard anything official ruling it out. The mention of the advert was official, hence why my opinion changed.

And take your pick from all the faceoffs before any mention of gamma correction/crushed blacks, pseudo HDR on 24bit GPUs, sharper image(aka missing fog), linear fog versus exponent fog. 30bit Colour(deep colour), micro architecture versus super scalar, homogeneous versus heterogeneous architectures. How 1.1 billion vertices rendering on Nvidia GPU doesn't mean 250M poly/sec sent to the vertex pipeline under optimised conditions, but much closer to 1.1billion polys/sec.

Even gears 3's AA looks like a comment/suggestion I made 6months before the beta.
    Ohhh that's just awesome! What an awesome, awesome post!

So much craziness going on in there:
    - Vizzini makes a claim, gets it wrong, and then blames Nintendo for not reading his post and correcting what he said.
    - Buzzwords galore! What relevance are they to anything in this thread? Nothing! But Vizzini rolls them out anyway, as they might bamboozle someone.
    - Gears 3 AA. Are you seeing a connection here people? No? Probably because there is none! Off he goes again!

You are dirtbox and you're trolling the fuck out of this thread! Haha! You must be.
  • Phattso Moderator 19 Oct 2012 04:16:25 13,351 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It fucking terrifies me that vizzini can call to mind every tech discussion that he/she/it was ever involved in. You would, very literally, have to have no life to have recall of such utterly irrelevant information.

/abuses mod powers

Oh! It's a sock of Darren's. Actually, looking at all the technobabble, I'm surprised I didn't make the connection before.
  • Deleted user 19 October 2012 08:27:37
    ronuds wrote:
    It probably does work like this - we can't base our opinions on the voice chat of one game on an unreleased system
  • AcidSnake 19 Oct 2012 08:48:29 7,282 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @vizzini/Darren:
    I'm not sure how I'd rewrite it as I have absolutely no idea what you're on about there...It's just a bunch of technobabble with no connection to your post/this thread...

Example:
    Well, I like the fact EG's articles are diversifying but coconuts and bananas, combined with the second Gremlins film would still show that audience attendance is dropping no matter how much money gets pumped into raising the apex of the equation...Gears of war 3...

Anyway, bad call not putting a wired connection on the pro pad, or even including a headset in the box...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Deleted user 19 October 2012 10:45:16
    @AcidSnakes
    Interestingly the 3rd party mic headset companies have now confirmed bluetooth support just for Nintendo peripherals, pretty much agreeing with what I speculated above (2400-2480MHz) for the controller. Well, unless they are using Wifi(local area networking), Bluetooth peripherals(excluding tablet) and then some 3rd radio connection for the tablet.

Personally, I'm quite pleased Nintendo aren't doing cross game/voice chat as default. I'm more likely to buy a WiiU to avoid sharing my gaming pastime with EG users that do cross chat. Me and friends worked around it when we played Mario Kart Wii at the start of this gen, and didn't use it extensively when network gaming on PS3. We do more local multiplayer or go to the pub to chat. It certainly isn't a feature I want to let the whole world in by default.

@Phattso

Abuse powers to find what exactly? That I'm not a sock of an another account? That should take all of 2 seconds and didn't need your comment at all. However, for future reference, had your fiction been true, you'd be at odds with the 1998 Data Protection Act that might be an issue for EG.
  • Phattso Moderator 19 Oct 2012 10:50:23 13,351 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'll see you in court!
  • Deleted user 19 October 2012 10:58:00
    @Phattso

At least you are consistent and it is funny :), but no.

As a moderator, aren't you supposed to tell others to stay on topic about the WiiU. What do you think about the missing cross chat default. Have you Live Gold co-captains formulated a global response to the news yet?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 19 Oct 2012 11:09:27 38,352 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I recognise the words are English, but they're not in any kind of order that makes sense.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• CosmicFuzz 19 Oct 2012 11:10:34 24,574 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Data Protection Act :D

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• AcidSnake 19 Oct 2012 11:14:13 7,282 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @vizzini/Darren:
    I thought it had just been confirmed that you were a sock?
    Anyway, the phrase "Have you Live Gold co-captains formulated a global response to the news yet?" doesn't do you any favours...

Could we just talk about the chat thing without going into Mhz and bluetooth stuff?

You might not like the idea of cross chat, but I do, and you can alway ignore those that do...So bad call on Nintendos part...

• MrTomFTW Moderator 19 Oct 2012 11:17:20 38,352 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just for clarity/my sanity's sake... Phattso was joking, he's not Darren's sock. Or vice versa for that matter.

So, that Wii U eh? Headsets eh?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• AcidSnake 19 Oct 2012 11:19:29 7,282 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MrTom:
    Ah, right...That's that solved then...

• Page

of 1365 First / Last