Wii U Page 1032

• Page

of 1415 First / Last

• Kay 11 Nov 2013 14:12:56 17,971 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd go for that NSMBU bundle, but not sure if I want to play it so close to the release of Mario 3D World.
  • acousticwilliam 11 Nov 2013 14:18:58 801 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh flip, I've gone for it.

NNID: Willum

• binky Moderator 11 Nov 2013 14:26:43 9,950 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    The thing with NSMBU is that it carries the legacy of the previous New versions, which were probably just 'decent' entries into the Mario universe so many people dismissed it out of hand.

Play it however and it slowly reveals itself to be a bit of a classic. That level design, it just can't be beat, it's outstanding and of course it's just so damn playable.

I've yet to play Luigi but a lot of people rate it higher than NSMBU. If so, that's high praise indeed because I have a real soft spot for NSMBU, I found it to be thoroughly superb (and still do, as I'm currently working my way through finding all the coins in each level).
    Have to agree with this. It really is a cracking game with a good amount of "bonus" challenges to do as well. It's superb and looks fantastic to boot.

I'm also working through the coins now. Cleared World 1 and 2 and almost done 3.
  • Raiko101 11 Nov 2013 14:27:13 6,722 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    NSMBU is a great game. Much better than the Wii and DS versions, which I also quite like. I'm playing through Rayman Legends at the minute and although it has more polish, NSMBU is the more enjoyable game.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Zomoniac 11 Nov 2013 14:31:25 7,997 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved the original NSMB on DS. I think NSMBU is utter shite. Just to balance out the love.
  • Pinky_Floyd 11 Nov 2013 14:32:21 8,397 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    I loved the original NSMB on DS. I think NSMBU is utter shite. Just to balance out the love.
    /pokes with pitchfork
  • Erek 11 Nov 2013 14:37:01 262 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    acousticwilliam wrote:
    @MrSemprini Cheers for the info. The art is bland as heck, but I'm looking forward to trying it out in HD. I guess the only thing I truly can't stand is the music. Apart from being recycled to ham and back, it's just so uninspiring.
    I felt completely spoiled by the music of Mario Galaxy. You make a sandwich listening to that and it suddenly feels like you're saving the world.
    The NSMB series had such a dramatic decline in music quality - and that's not even thinking about the recycled aspects of it. Having Youtubed the music for NSMBU I can see it's of a similarly low standard. It feels so lifeless and uninspired. In contrast Galaxy's is IMO one of the best game soundtracks ever.

NNID: Erekose200

• Pinky_Floyd 11 Nov 2013 14:49:01 8,397 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I quite liked the music in NSMBU

/feels isolated
  • Aretak 11 Nov 2013 14:50:44 10,376 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's weird how much scorn is poured upon the NSMB series in general. There hasn't been a bad one yet (and I doubt there ever will be). Are they the most inspired and original games in the world? No. But then they're not supposed to be. They're designed to provide classic 2D Mario gameplay, and I think they've done pretty well within that mandate in terms of providing some variety.

It's not like Nintendo have given up on making creative Mario games in order to make them either. Since the first NSMB we've had the two Galaxy games and 3D Land, all of which would make a list of the top five games in the franchise, and based on what I've seen of 3D World, I wouldn't be surprised if that's right up there alongside them.

I think maybe people have been spoiled a bit by just how many good Mario games there have been in the past seven years. Go back to the N64 and GameCube eras and people were absolutely desperate for a new 2D Mario game (or even just more 3D ones), yet Nintendo were happy simply releasing (bad) handheld ports of the old ones. I know I'd certainly take the current situation over that.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2013 15:15:42
    Can I join in on this? I absolutely hate the NSMB Series now. I decided after playing the most recent one on 3DS that would be that. My attitude towards and indeed the same reasons I have done this for COD after MW2 applies here. Infact I would even go as far to say this is Nintendo's equivalent of COD. Safe, repetitious, lack of creativity, served with a distinct lack of soul. Oh, and it seems to sell well.

I will try Luigi U eventually because I know it's a curveball. But having sampled Mario U at an event the map changes and whatnot does not hide the fact it is essential what you have played so many times before but just a bit shinier.

Obviously you cannot say the same about the 3D games - 64, Sunshine, Galaxy are different each time. Hell even the two galaxies were sufficiently different and 3D Land/World promise to do that.

So yeah. The original DS one was brilliant. The Wii one was just about OK. But it's been downhill since there and they need to give it a rest.

It's extremely sad that a Nintendo 2D platformer can be like this but that's very much the case.

Anyway I'm certain about something; I'd rather play other things then have Rayman be the replacement. I cannot stand those rubbish either.
  • Pinky_Floyd 11 Nov 2013 15:18:01 8,397 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    T_Neumann wrote:

It's extremely sad that a Nintendo 2D platformer can be like this but that's very much the case.

/stabstabstabstabstabbystab
  • Punctum 11 Nov 2013 15:25:36 1,045 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Finally taken the plunge on the Mario/Luigi bundle! This will be my first experience of Nintendo gaming. As such, a few questions:

Can I play Wii games from disc, or is it download only?

Can I play Wii games with the new controllers, or do I need to purchase an old Wii controller?

The old Wii games I want to play are SMG 1 and 2, Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country Returns. How do the SD graphics hold up on a big HD screen?

Thanks in advance!
  • Deleted user 11 November 2013 15:26:28
    T_Neumann wrote:

So yeah. The original DS one was brilliant.

Except that's not true at all. I played the DS version a couple of weeks ago to compare, and it's nowhere near as good. Mario U is better in every single way.

Even at the time I thought the DS version was decent, but playing now you realise it really isn't a patch on U, let alone Mario 3 and World.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2013 15:32:42
    Punctum wrote:
    Finally taken the plunge on the Mario/Luigi bundle! This will be my first experience of Nintendo gaming. As such, a few questions:

Can I play Wii games from disc, or is it download only?

Can I play Wii games with the new controllers, or do I need to purchase an old Wii controller?

The old Wii games I want to play are SMG 1 and 2, Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country Returns. How do the SD graphics hold up on a big HD screen?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi Punctum, indeed you can play via disk. If you want to, you can even hack the Wii mode of your WiiU and extract your Wii games to sd card or a USB drive, to eliminate disk swapping, speed up loading etc.

Excellent choice of 4 Wii games btw, 3 of those are some of my most played Wii games. I'd also add HOTD Overkill to the list of essentials, and Boom Blox 2. Sport Resort too as it's the best use of motion controls I've played.

As far as SD graphics? Really depends on your screen. Good Plasmas have notoriously better scaling and handling of lower quality sources than LCD, so pretty good if you have a plasma, but I've seen Wii games looking crap on some HDTVs.

As it happens the main reason I bought my Plasma (Sammy D8000) is because of its amazing handling of SD content, as I still play/watch a lot of SD content.
  • Aretak 11 Nov 2013 15:33:26 10,376 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    T_Neumann wrote:
    But having sampled Mario U at an event the map changes and whatnot does not hide the fact it is essential what you have played so many times before but just a bit shinier.
    I'm just gonna leave this here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7005-Innovation-Gamings-Snake-Oil
  • Pinky_Floyd 11 Nov 2013 15:34:16 8,397 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To be fair, if T_Neumann simply sampled NSMBU at an event, then he's basing his opinion off a very small snapshot and at first glance, U does look pretty similar to the others.

It's not though, it's leagues better and that only comes through in the playing.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2013 15:34:28
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    rumblesushi wrote:
    Pinky knows the score on NSMBU. This shouldn't even bear the same name, it should have been called something completely different. I played a few worlds on the DS and Wii versions and found them utterly average. Not a patch on Mario 3 or World.

This is in a different league, the best 2D platformer since SMW.
    I suspect most reviewers didn't actually play NSMBU to completion either and they took the path of least resistance with it, which might explain the baffling lower metacritic score of NSMBU than the other entries in the series.
    Mental, I didn't even know that. It must really be the stigma attached at this point for that to be the case, like yeah yeah OK, another yearly update.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2013 15:35:41
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    To be fair, if T_Neumann simply sampled NSMBU at an event, then he's basing his opinion off a very small snapshot and at first glance, U does look pretty similar to the others.

It's not though, it's leagues better and that only comes through in the playing.
    I forgot to mention that. Yeah, can't really judge the game off 5/10 minutes gameplay. Of course it's going to look and seem similar. But the gameplay and level design is just much, much better than the others.
  • Punctum 11 Nov 2013 15:52:30 1,045 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @rumblesushi

Ah, cheers.

Do I need to buy an old wii controller or can I use the new one for old Wii games?

I've got a 47inch LED screen, so maybe the quality will be crap. Oh well, only 10 days to SM3D world.
  • jellyBelly 11 Nov 2013 16:07:02 475 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Another question here for the Wii U veterans. Do you need to connect the controller pro to the gamepad (in a similar way the Wii controller/wiimote setup worked) in order to use it or does it just connect straight to the console?

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• Raiko101 11 Nov 2013 16:12:34 6,722 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The pro controller is wireless. No cables necessary.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• stevethemeat 11 Nov 2013 16:13:04 634 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just took the plunge on the NSMBU bundle, also Argos are selling the pro controller for 23.99 if anyone is interested.
  • quadfather 11 Nov 2013 16:16:49 13,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can someone tell me the differences between nsmb and nsmbu ? I love nsmb and I'm trying to gauge the differences

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• neilka 11 Nov 2013 16:19:17 16,563 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One of them is in "HD".

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• DFawkes 11 Nov 2013 16:46:48 24,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Can someone tell me the differences between nsmb and nsmbu ? I love nsmb and I'm trying to gauge the differences
    They're different games with different levels. Sorry that's not very helpful but I'm not sure what else you'd like to know. I'm sure Pinky could answer specific questions, but as far as differences go the Wii U version is a sequel with all new levels but the same art style.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• quadfather 11 Nov 2013 16:48:50 13,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sorry, I'm not making myself clear. I meant is the gameplay the same, as in, is there anything different like different mario suits, different bonus games, that kind of thing.

Actually, reading the above, I don't know what the fuck I'm asking

I'll go with "HD" :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• DFawkes 11 Nov 2013 16:55:37 24,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, I see. Afraid I know nothing. Pinky is your man. I'd quite like to the the answer myself as that's the sort of stuff reviews gloss over a bit.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Deleted user 11 November 2013 17:05:05
    I don't mind the NSMB series on the Wii, and the WiiU looks pretty much the same from what I've seen, I thought it lacked many of the charms of the pixel based 2D marios and the music was average.

But what's unforgivable is the lack of Pro Controller support and no online multiplayer in the new WiiU Versions.
  • Frogofdoom 11 Nov 2013 17:22:03 1,089 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    there is pro controller support...
  • DFawkes 11 Nov 2013 17:22:22 24,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It does support the Pro Controller. Think it got patched in around the time the Luigi expansion came out.

• Page

of 1415 First / Last