Wii U Page 931

• Page

of 1369 First / Last

• Grax 13 Sep 2013 10:24:15 2,296 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    shopto are selling ww hd for 40 which is 5 less then i have seen anywhere else

confirmed my purchase today (sorry GTA)
  • Deleted user 13 September 2013 10:25:00
    I'm really tempted again to buy this definitive version, everything looks pin sharp and lovely with the real-time shadows.

I guess the big problem Nintendo have in showing the benefit is partly down to a change in TV sizes/technology. Many people will have played the original using a crappy composite (yellow) lead in 480i or 576i, but on an old 32inch or less CRT, it will have still looked amazingly HD-esq. On top of that, the visual style chosen (cell shading) is procedurally generated in object space so it provides excellent shading accuracy regardless or resolution.

At the time of the original WW launch, I was playing US imports at +120inchs on a Panasonic Projector via progressive scanned component video(480p NTSC) with cinema sound, so I might appreciate the visual improvement quite a bit compared to most, but with the game being excessively priced and with me having completed it 3 times already, I'm torn on the matter of whether to buy.
  • Deleted user 13 September 2013 10:27:21
    Well yeah, obviously running side by side in a small window is indeed a great comparison for the GC version as you're comparing everything but resolution, where imo it comes off worse. It looks less like WW and part of what makes WW so great is that crisp, vibrant cartoony style.

I am lucky to own a plasma with the best, cleanest scaling I've seen, so GC and Wii games still look much better and cleaner than you'd think.
  • Pinky_Floyd 13 Sep 2013 10:28:25 8,034 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @rumblesushi Yep, wii games to indeed look surprisingly nice on my 50" panny plasma
  • Deleted user 13 September 2013 10:35:46
    @rumblesushi

That is open to debate about scaling, it will still look garbage compared to the Wiiu version imo on even the best of plasmas, but the sharpest output from Wii for de-interlacing and scaling is via the official RGB scart (576i). The Wii component output is significantly worse than the GC using the 50 official component lead. The Wii is probably the worst source of signal for any type of HD screen.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 13 Sep 2013 10:46:46 10,861 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/the-wind-waker-sure-is-gorgeous-in-hd

Still looks like Wind Waker to me. In fact, I'd say it looks bloody gorgeous!
  • JiveHound 13 Sep 2013 11:05:25 2,539 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    @rumblesushi Yep, wii games to indeed look surprisingly nice on my 50" panny plasma
    Hmm, Xenoblade is really fuzzy for me. Would I benefit from a new tv? Probably going to buy one next year.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Kay 13 Sep 2013 11:19:08 17,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/the-wind-waker-sure-is-gorgeous-in-hd

Still looks like Wind Waker to me. In fact, I'd say it looks bloody gorgeous!
    Still looks great as it is, but the more toned-down realistic look does make it seem a little washed out in comparison to the GC version. It'd be nice if they added a bit more colour back in.

Edited by Kay at 11:20:44 13-09-2013
  • Pinky_Floyd 13 Sep 2013 11:53:04 8,034 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @JiveHound Unsure as have only played SMG2 and Metroid Prime 3 through mine! They do look pretty good though I have to say.
  • Sid-Nice 13 Sep 2013 11:55:32 15,851 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The GameCube Wind Waker looks brilliant on my Panasonic Q via component.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Grax 13 Sep 2013 12:03:19 2,296 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    i think most people will agree that wind waker still looks as good today as it did when it was released

It is also as good a game now as when it was released (i only played it again a year ago)
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 13 Sep 2013 12:14:10 10,861 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yup, I replay WW regularly to remind me how nice games can be. I'm looking forward to playing the Wii U version just to have a direct comparison (and an excuse for another playthrough!)
  • not_themilkybarkid 13 Sep 2013 12:15:12 29 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Too much bloom, colours are too washed out. I hope there's an option to disable the "advanced lighting" :\
  • AceGrace 13 Sep 2013 12:16:13 1,192 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What have they done to the clouds?

GC clouds look much better.
  • Sid-Nice 13 Sep 2013 12:17:37 15,851 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I completed Wind Waker and several other GameCube titles in the build up to the Wii U launch.

Last night I noticed the amber light on my Wii U; so I switched it on and the Toki Tori 2 + update was installed. I wish the PS3 worked like that; I've gave up on downloading PES and Fifa 14; I went to work came back and 94% of PES 14 was downloaded with Fifa 14 pending. My internet is a bit shit I only get a 125mbs per second download.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Grax 13 Sep 2013 12:19:59 2,296 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    the saddest thing about this hd re make

even less people will get a chance to play it then the original
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 13 Sep 2013 12:32:31 10,861 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If Wii U sales pick up then more people will buy the game.

As history suggests, Nintendo games always have long legs...
  • Raiko101 13 Sep 2013 12:36:09 6,413 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think the HD version looks much better than the original. Fair enough, it doesn't look as much like a cartoon now, but I think the lighting is great.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• sega 13 Sep 2013 12:59:04 907 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shouldn't the difference be striking, though? We're talking two releases over a decade apart. If the Wii U version does look better than the original being played through component cables, shouldn't it be more than different lighting and crisper textures?

I mean I have the original game. It's good enough for me and I'm not thinking "this lighting could be better" - it still looks amazing. To sell this game and a Wii U to me I'd want something more.
  • Raiko101 13 Sep 2013 13:10:13 6,413 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's a HD port. Unfortunately it does exactly what it says on the tin. Much like Ocarina of Time 3D on the 3DS. It would be great if they did do more. Arguably they'd have to to warrant the asking price, but I can't think of any particular HD ports to consoles that have gone above and beyond.

If Nintendo would just hurry up and confirm GameCube games for the Wii U Virtual Console, they could please everybody. I guess this very port is the reason an official announcement has been put on hold.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Cappy 13 Sep 2013 13:15:32 12,021 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Resident Evil Remake went above and beyond. That's the Yardstick you should be considering for the term remake.
  • sega 13 Sep 2013 13:16:05 907 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GameCube games for Virtual Console won't happen I don't think. They've obviously removed the compatibility for re-makes such as this. They don't even have N64, Megadrive, Master System etc games on there. Just NES and SNES, so there's a long way to go before the GameCube shows its face, if ever.
  • Cappy 13 Sep 2013 13:20:57 12,021 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Wii U could easily run Gamecube software, it can boot Wii games after all. It was removed in the interests of cost reduction and trimming out back catalogue rather than feasibility.

If Nintendo had gone for standard DVDs in the first place Gamecube compatibility might have made it, the mechanism to deal with both disc formats was something Nintendo obviously didn't like paying for they phased it out on the Wii even.
  • Youthist 13 Sep 2013 13:21:16 10,027 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Just watched that comparison video on the front page and I genuinely thought that it was the other way around for the first couple of minutes! The GC version is so vibrant and lively, while the HD version is washed out and bland with very muted colours.

Graphics wise the only difference I can see is a very minor texture increase that is only noticable maybe 20% of the time.

Is this going to be another Silent Hill collection?
    Even though the guy explains it clearly on the voice over, it says HD on the title screen in big letters, the year is current, and it looks hugely better than the right hand side?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Kay 13 Sep 2013 13:21:47 17,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Resident Evil Remake went above and beyond. That's the Yardstick you should be considering for the term remake.
    Only because the original RE had dated so much visually, after only six years. Whereas WW has held up pretty well. Also, the REmake had loads of new content - they essentially took the PS1 original and fashioned an entirely new game out of it.

This is intended to be a faithful remake, just as Ocarina was on the 3DS, so there'll always be a backlash if they change it too much. It's meant to be the same game, just tweaked slightly and updated visually for modern TVs.
  • Deleted user 13 September 2013 13:29:14
    Aye, windwaker is only a HD remaster, in the same vain as metal gear, ico etc. No one ever seemed to get their knickers in a twist over them. But then it is zelda, always divides.

• not_themilkybarkid 13 Sep 2013 13:29:15 29 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    The Wii U could easily run Gamecube software, it can boot Wii games after all. It was removed in the interests of cost reduction and trimming out back catalogue rather than feasibility.

If Nintendo had gone for standard DVDs in the first place Gamecube compatibility might have made it, the mechanism to deal with both disc formats was something Nintendo obviously didn't like paying for they phased it out on the Wii even.
    It's not the loading mechanism that they wanted to get rid of, it was the ports on the side. Controller ports and memory card slots aren't free- and given the install base of the Gamecube vs the Wii, not that necessary. Its fairly safe assumption that the Nintendo loyal who bought a Gamecube would have got a Wii in the first few years, and hence got one with GC backwards compatibility. (I know I did.)

Putting ports for a ten year old console in the Wii U wouldn't make a whole ton of sense. At least we still get one generation of backwards compatibility, unlike PS4 and XBone.
  • Cappy 13 Sep 2013 13:38:43 12,021 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    not_themilkybarkid wrote:
    Cappy wrote:

It's not the loading mechanism that they wanted to get rid of, it was the ports on the side. Controller ports and memory card slots aren't free- and given the install base of the Gamecube vs the Wii, not that necessary. Its fairly safe assumption that the Nintendo loyal who bought a Gamecube would have got a Wii in the first few years, and hence got one with GC backwards compatibility. (I know I did.)

Putting ports for a ten year old console in the Wii U wouldn't make a whole ton of sense. At least we still get one generation of backwards compatibility, unlike PS4 and XBone.
    People must have a pretty low opinion of Nintendo's technical prowess if mapping control to other devices and passing off save data elsewhere could be considered an insurmountable stumbling block.

Ultimately it's a software problem, a problem that Sony tackled for instance, I could make as many virtual PS1 and PS2 memory cards as I liked on my PS3. I used PS1 arcade sticks and PS2 controllers with a USB adapter. Or alternately I could use the PS3 controller.

Are we seriously suggesting that it's impossible to pass control input over to a classic controller pro or the Wii U pad? It's a problem that can be solved with software.

On the other hand the min-DVDs, that's a physical problem that required a physical mechanism. That would always be a cost added to manufacture from the first unit off the production line to the very last.
  • Pinky_Floyd 13 Sep 2013 13:41:20 8,034 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think the sticking point is that the percentage of people who would make use of genuine GC BC is pretty small, so not worth their effort.

I would use it though!

/f-zero

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 13:41:34 13-09-2013
  • sega 13 Sep 2013 13:57:03 907 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I do see the points about why GameCube compatibility was removed, it does make sense in a way. However retro gaming is pretty big and Nintendo have such a history. I don't understand why they don't do special console releases (obviously at a higher price) to cater for fans of their past systems. The sole reason I invested in a Wii was because they said it would be compatible with all past Nintendo systems, which it was. I loved it for that reason and could enjoy new games too. I thought that would be the policy for the future.

At the moment I'd rather have a Wii with GameCube support than being able to play Wii U games. There seems to be the attitude with gaming where we point out that no other consoles have backwards compatibility more than one generation back. Just because it hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean we shouldn't change it for the future. I just find it a concern because of all the digital titles these days. If we can't move them along they're lost forever. I think gaming's past deserves a little more respect.

Edited by sega at 13:58:17 13-09-2013
  • Page

of 1369 First / Last