Wii U Page 784

• Page

of 1363 First / Last

• macmurphy 15 Jul 2013 11:57:15 999 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pikmin 3 got five stars (out of five) in the Sunday Times. Not sure how they are allowed to get a review out before everyone else, and it was a pretty shitty bitesize review, but better than a kick in the tits.
  • LeoliansBro 15 Jul 2013 11:58:10 44,246 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It isn't a good console. It would have been six years ago but today it's archaic, about to be overtaken, lacks certain basic functionality we've had elsewhere for the better part of a decade, and in the Gamepad has the largest resource-sapping white elephant of an answer to a question nobody was asking since Kinect.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• binky Moderator 15 Jul 2013 11:58:46 9,632 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It cant be turned around, it really, really cant. Its lost any momentum it had and even the big guns cant save it.

The best it can hope for now is to give it away with a box of cornflakes and let it burble away until their next harebrained POS.
    Based on the E3 direct... I think you're probably right. Doesn't stop me looking forward to playing the planned games though. It's a bit like the Wii for me. It was never going to be my "go-to" console.
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Jul 2013 12:00:40 11,267 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    binky wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Still, it's by no means Nintendo's worst console. At least it doesn't actively give you headaches like the Virtual Boy did.
    That's the thing. It's really not a bad console in the slightest. It's got some strange design decisions, sure, but it's genuinely a good console.
    It was brought to market about 4 or 5 years to late IMO. I think that's a big part of the problem.
    How on earth could they produce a console more powerful than a 360 in a small, cool chassis with a hugely expensive controller for anything approaching a decent price 4 or 5 years ago?

The problem is that they did not hugely recruit and expand in the 3-4 years before release to be able to produce enough games in HD. That's why Iwata and Miyamoto should be removed from their positions.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• nickthegun 15 Jul 2013 12:01:29 59,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Which is why its failing, really. 'Everyones second console' is an insane business plan.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Raiko101 15 Jul 2013 12:04:49 6,312 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So what's the Vita's excuse?

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Bremenacht 15 Jul 2013 12:05:26 18,275 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't see any problem with Wii U that cannot be solved by many more games. Good ones. And a price cut.
  • ResidentKnievel 15 Jul 2013 12:05:56 6,201 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

How on earth could they produce a console more powerful than a 360 in a small, cool chassis with a hugely expensive controller for anything approaching a decent price 4 or 5 years ago?
    Seriously now, they probably could have, the GPU is based on 5 year old tech, the CPU is a triple core version of the Gamecube CPU and the chip is built on a 45nm process.

Edit: the gamepad probably would have been out of the question but the console itself probably wouldn't have been impossible to mass produce 4-5 years ago.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 12:08:48 15-07-2013

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• nickthegun 15 Jul 2013 12:06:19 59,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dont know how to break this to everyone, but the vita failing doesnt make the Wii U look any better by association.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 15 Jul 2013 12:07:21 38,232 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Well too bad for them, because while we might have been up for the Wii U then the world doesn't want it now. Nintendo are going about this all wrong. Go big or don't fucking bother turning up in the first place.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Progguitarist 15 Jul 2013 12:09:10 10,441 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's definitely the worst console I've ever owned. There's not one game that is close to "must have" status.
  • Pinky_Floyd 15 Jul 2013 12:09:53 7,907 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    It isn't a good console. It would have been six years ago but today it's archaic, about to be overtaken, lacks certain basic functionality we've had elsewhere for the better part of a decade, and in the Gamepad has the largest resource-sapping white elephant of an answer to a question nobody was asking since Kinect.
    Weird, because it's almost the total opposite for me. I love the miiverse functionality, the ability to post directly (including screenshots) to the appropriate miiverse forum while in game. Brilliant functionality that is lacking even in the next gen consoles. It lacks the online multiplayer functionality that other consoles have but I mostly do my online stuff on the PC so not an issue for me personally.

The gamepad is brilliant - with my large plasma always in demand by the family, I can use the gamepad to torture myself with Mario U. It's comfortable, the display is of surprisingly good quality, the speakers are excellent. It works superbly in the games that support it such as Lego City Undercover.

This isn't a defensive post, I'm not even sure how I would go about 'defending' a console, this is just my experience and I've owned a 360 and PS3 since launch. The only thing 'bad' I can see about the whole thing is the lack of software (which will hopefully improve), everything else I am honestly perfectly happy with.

I just get puzzled when I see such negative opinions as my own experience is the polar opposite. Lumping the gamepad in with Kinect just seems odd. Kinect is shite - the gamepad really isn't. Odd comparison too, one is a camera and the other, well, isn't.

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 12:10:31 15-07-2013
  • Progguitarist 15 Jul 2013 12:10:10 10,441 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Raiko101 The vita has a much healthier looking release schedule than the Wii U.
  • binky Moderator 15 Jul 2013 12:11:20 9,632 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Which is why its failing, really. 'Everyones second console' is an insane business plan.
    Quite true.
  • DFawkes 15 Jul 2013 12:13:35 22,978 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    binky wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Still, it's by no means Nintendo's worst console. At least it doesn't actively give you headaches like the Virtual Boy did.
    That's the thing. It's really not a bad console in the slightest. It's got some strange design decisions, sure, but it's genuinely a good console.
    That's how I feel too. There are a lot of problems with how it has been managed, and Nintendo catching themselves off guard when they switched to HD, along with all the other bits and bobs we've all discussed over the past many pages, but the console itself really isn't bad.

Nintendo wanted a console that was roughly on par with the 360 and PS3 so it could have versions of those games along with the usual first-party stuff. In that regard, they were successful. They wanted the OS to keep the focus on the games, as well as the community features. That too was successful. They wanted the Gamepad to be something you could pick up and use, regardless of TV usage, and it works great for that. It all does exactly what they clearly intended.

Of course, why they intended their console to be on par with others that are soon to be transitioned away from, or why did they not push harder for ports of things, or all those other questionable decisions we've all brought up are the issue.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Deleted user 15 July 2013 12:18:30
    Bremenacht wrote:
    I don't see any problem with Wii U that cannot be solved by many more games. Good ones. And a price cut.
    Well the price as dropped to 200 on amazon, and has instantly gone into the top 15 video game sellers, of course you can't judge how much its selling, but its selling the console. And its got a pretty good release schedule in the next few months.
  • ResidentKnievel 15 Jul 2013 12:18:47 6,201 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote: The only thing 'bad' I can see about the whole thing is the lack of software (which will hopefully improve), everything else I am honestly perfectly happy with.
    This is why I think it's one the worst consoles there is, they live and die by their software. I'm puzzled as to how someone could be satisfied paying 200 odd quid for a nintendo-centric twitter feed.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Armoured_Bear 15 Jul 2013 12:20:07 11,267 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Seriously now, they probably could have, the GPU is based on 5 year old tech, the CPU is a triple core version of the Gamecube CPU and the chip is built on a 45nm process.

Edit: the gamepad probably would have been out of the question but the console itself probably wouldn't have been impossible to mass produce 4-5 years ago.
    You're exagerrating the tech side and omitting how much 2GM RAM and 32GB Flash Memory Costs would have cost then.
    They can't make a profit on it now, how could they have then?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 15 July 2013 12:21:21
    Nintendo fans like things that are 4 or 5 years old.
  • nickthegun 15 Jul 2013 12:21:25 59,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    By not using flash memory for a start, genius.

• Deleted user 15 July 2013 12:22:23
    Aargh. wrote:
    And non nintendo fans like abusing things that 4 or 5 years old.
  • Pinky_Floyd 15 Jul 2013 12:23:14 7,907 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote: The only thing 'bad' I can see about the whole thing is the lack of software (which will hopefully improve), everything else I am honestly perfectly happy with.
    This is why I think it's one the worst consoles there is, they live and die by their software. I'm puzzled as to how someone could be satisfied paying 200 odd quid for a nintendo-centric twitter feed.
    I'm currently playing through Lego City Undercover and Mario U - 2 of my favourite games of this year so far. Pikmin 3 is out next week. I also paid 150 which made the whole thing a lot better value.

I'm far from satisfied with the current game drought, but I'm having a huge amount of fun with these games and with the console in general (as I have some wii stuff to work through too - metroid prime trilogy, super mario galaxy 2 and a few others).

If that puzzles you, I'm not really sure what else to say. Sorry, I suppose :)
  • binky Moderator 15 Jul 2013 12:24:25 9,632 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    Because Nintendo make stuff you can't get else where. That's really all there is to it. I used to be against the idea of Nintendo making stuff for other consoles as has been touted on here a few times. Now I realise that's not such a daft idea really.
  • LeoliansBro 15 Jul 2013 12:25:26 44,246 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    And non nintendo fans like abusing things that 4 or 5 years old.
    But it isn't, is it? It's 5 year old tech on a console released less than a year ago.

• Deleted user 15 July 2013 12:25:42
    Why was it ever a daft idea? The hardware isn't anything special.
  • Afiddes 15 Jul 2013 12:26:07 1,164 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    the thing is, do sales figures really matter??

i have a wii u and will pick up software i like for it. As long as i play it for over 200 hours in its life then i am happy (200 console - 1 per hour)

With lego city, Monster hunter (when i can pick them up) along with pikmin i can see the 200 hour mark flying by

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• nickthegun 15 Jul 2013 12:28:38 59,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you want point two to happen in the future, point one matters like a motherfucker.

• LeoliansBro 15 Jul 2013 12:29:29 44,246 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Afiddes wrote:
    the thing is, do sales figures really matter?
    Erm.

Higher sales = larger install base = better profit for games made on the platform = more games (or any games).

• Progguitarist 15 Jul 2013 12:30:13 10,441 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Afiddes You'll have lots of fun completing Pikmin and Lego City 10 times each.
  • DFawkes 15 Jul 2013 12:30:31 22,978 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    That's not really the fault of the console though, that's the fault of Nintendo for not ensuring software support for the thing they released.

I obviously can't speak for everyone (in fact I'd be surprised if this covered anyone else anywhere, which is a big problem) but there is plenty of stuff out there for me, as a Wii U only owner. it's just that, if it's your second console, that strips almost all of the games away. Most of them are multi-format, so if you have a 360 or PS3 you've already got the majority available.

That leaves 14 games, give or take, and a good few of those are mini-game collections. Pretty much leaves you with ZombiU, Mario and Lego City, as far as software goes. If the features of the console itself are of no interest, 3 games just isn't good enough. Thankfully I love the Gamepad and Off TV Play, but people will already know if that's of use to them.

Edited by DFawkes at 12:30:47 15-07-2013

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Page

of 1363 First / Last