Wii U Page 652

• Page

of 1356 First / Last

• Deckard1 15 May 2013 17:54:22 27,675 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Point me to one post you've made that wasn't you whining like a bitter old woman youthist.

Hush you ponce

• Fake_Blood 15 May 2013 17:54:26 4,165 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Let's agree to disagree.
    Almost E3 hu?
    VIDJAGAMES!
  • nickthegun 15 May 2013 17:55:09 59,419 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I cant say that im not disappointed that you have rebuffed my olive branch, Youthist.

I was looking forward to exploring our feelings, finding out what drives your grumpy guts to poop everywhere.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• JiveHound 15 May 2013 17:55:47 2,410 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Posh new title, what's that in aid of then?

If it's to mitigate the circle jerk that's been going on for months it ain't working.

Or is this actually the circle jerk thread? Where's the real one?

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Sid-Nice 15 May 2013 17:56:59 15,852 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    The Wii 2 would have had a healthy user base by now and in 2012 Nintendo could have then launched the Gamepad peripheral ($100) as an add-on.

If the Gamepad add-on failed;
    You can remove the "If" right there. If you want people to adopt peripherals and developers to make games for them, they need to be bundled in the base unit from the off. See things like Move and Kinect to highlight how little risk people take with a fragmented user base. File alongside why not adding a second nub to the PSP was the correct idea.
    My point being if the Wii 2 launched in 2010 (holiday/Christmas) at $249.99 with Kinect as the only real competition at $149.99, the Wii brand bandwagon would have continued into the HD era.

As HDTV’s sales began to rise HD consoles gained in popularity with Wii owners upgrading to the Xbox 360 and PS3. If a high definition Wii console was available with Wii Sports HD etc. the people who were introduced to gaming through the Wii would have continued to buy the brand they were familiar with.

The introduction of the Gamepad (bundled with Nintendo Land) at a later date at $100 wouldn’t have been the “Make or break situation” that Nintendo have created with the Wii U. Sony won’t launch the PS4 bundled with the Vita and expect consumers to pay $700.

Even though the Gamepad is the Wii U’s USP; the console would have performed better if the control scheme was optional. Until Nintendo or a genius Nintendo fan create a hook for the Gamepad; the majority of gamers will pass.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Bremenacht 15 May 2013 17:57:03 17,777 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
  • Armoured_Bear 15 May 2013 17:57:15 10,568 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Watch out Youthist, the rest of the bufty club will arrive as backup!

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 15 May 2013 17:58:39
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Watch out Youthist, the rest of the bufty club will arrive as backup!
  • kalel 15 May 2013 17:58:57 86,904 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok, I've now taken off my pants and am pulling very hard on my testicles. And everyone can see.
  • nickthegun 15 May 2013 17:59:44 59,419 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ban for homophobia, please. Utterly unacceptable.

He totally called it

• Sid-Nice 15 May 2013 18:00:24 15,852 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Ok, I've now taken off my pants and am pulling very hard on my testicles. And everyone can see.
    That's the problem with having a camera on the Gamepad.

NNID Sid-Nice

• mal 15 May 2013 18:08:00 22,448 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Here's a pro tip! If you think somebody is trolling, baiting or simply being annoying, then put them on ignore. Contrary to what has been said, it does actually work and it actually cleans this thread up quite significantly.
    It's be super nice if we could have ignored users per thread, as some threads just bring out the worst in some people.

Of course, the simplest solution is to just ignore this thread, which I normally do unless the rest of the forum is deathly boring (as it's tending towards today).

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Sid-Nice 15 May 2013 18:09:05 15,852 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just had a vision of Wii U fans fighting with the Wii U haters at the Eurogamer Expo. Old men beating up little kids just doesn't look right.

Deckard1 this is your cue.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Deleted user 15 May 2013 18:13:57
    Normally anything relating to Nintendo would be old men beating off little kids.
  • Bremenacht 15 May 2013 18:16:33 17,777 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    That's not actually what I am saying. I'm pointing out that this has all the hallmarks of abandonware at the present an I speculated that Nintendo might be better off moving to a stronger console in 18 months' time.
    If they do that then they are dead. They will have to outspec or outmarket or produce unimaginable innovation to regain credibility, which will eat up all their cash and won't necessarily be successful anyway. The installed Wii U base will hate them.

For those reasons, the Wii U will not be abandoned. Nintendo have committed themselves to it for better or worse. You will not see a replacement console until whatever it is they had planned anyway.

E3 will not settle any argument. They'll announce some new games, make some promises.

I really don't understand why you think that because Nintendo is a company selling products, they should behave like other companies selling products.
  • Bremenacht 15 May 2013 18:22:08 17,777 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    I just had a vision of Wii U fans fighting with the Wii U haters at the Eurogamer Expo. Old men beating up little kids just doesn't look right.

Deckard1 this is your cue.

?

No?
  • nickthegun 15 May 2013 18:30:40 59,419 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hang on... shouldnt they release the other scribblenauts game before they announce a new one? Who the hell is going to buy unlimited when theres one around the corner with Aquaman in it?

He totally called it

• Ryze 15 May 2013 18:31:15 3,123 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Ryze wrote:
    It's launch, sell games until people stop buying games, then eventually give up. If the console gets cracked wide open, and games stop selling completely, then it's time to move on.
    No it isn't. No matter what the industry, it really really isn't.

Let's talk about break even points. Say Mariokart becomes cost effecttive once it has sold 15m copies. Nintendo projected 15m userbase in 18 months, 5m today. Gravy, let's plough ahead.

But they didn't make the 5m userbase and only got 3.2m. Suddenly they wonder if they are going to get to the magical 15m number where they make a profit on MarioKart WiiU. Should they: do it anyway even though their internal metrics tell them it'll make a loss?

The numbers are fictional but hopefully you see the point.
    /yawn

Don't be silly, boy. Nintendo's 1st party games up to this point have likely reached break-even before 1 million copies have been sold. How much would you expect a game like Mario Kart Wii would realistically cost to develop? It may take time, but nothing from Nintendo has required even GTA III level budgets yet unless I'm massively mistaken. I'd have to take a look at specific figures to check how games revenue is divided up, but they're the publisher, platform holder and the developer. They own the rights to all of the properties from which they make games, and don't pay out to any other companies bar taxes, replication, distribution and retail.

Imagine for a moment (or have a google), how much of a £50 game download must go directly to Nintendo, then multiply it up by a few thousand, and consider that a game like NSMBU is pretty much a remake of a remake, with ONE voice actor who recorded about 15 words several years ago. The game's made up of carefully placed blocks, for Christ's sake. It's hardly Heavy Rain, and that broke even on the PS3 alone.

They're the platform holder, and - just to make it nice and basic for you - pretend that they pay a huge royalty to THEMSELVES every time Nintendo sell a Nintendo game developed by Nintendo that plays on a Nintendo console. Add the eShop and it's then retailed by Nintendo.

One way of reducing the cost of some of these larger HD games, that Nintendo have only just started having to develop over the past 2-3 years for this new console that they've released called the Wii U, is to keep the size and number of their development teams relatively small unless it's completely necessary to expand. The drawback here, is that the games may take longer to develop... oh wait!?!

Yes - they've cocked up their timing. They're not Microsoft, or Sony. That's very obvious. Doesn't mean they're forced to quit, as they've not completely released 'their product' yet - only a fraction has come along so far. Their costs are much lower than their competitors, as they're not paying either for expensive hardware, or royalties to a string of tech compaies to licence audio CD playback, DVD / Video CD / Photo CD and all the other associated stuff that's been gradually supported on games consoles since the Sega Saturn days.

They play a slightly different game, and they don't always win straight away. The DS wasn't looking too hot this far after launch either, and I believe the NES didn't take off immediately.

Pretend that the Wii only got Zelda and Wii Sports one year after release. Nintendo Land ISN'T comparable to Wii Sports, and nothing that they release, apart from Wii Sports 3 is likely to be.

Funny that I'm describing Nintendo's position in the console business, but I'm unwilling to buy their consoles. The generally don't appeal to me, and I only bought a 2nd hand Wii in 2011 and nothing Nintendo prior to that. I do like to play their games, however.

I hear they're rather popular and it'd be nice to see some of them this year.

Edited by Ryze at 18:39:10 15-05-2013
  • Widge Moderator 15 May 2013 18:31:28 13,436 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Widge wrote:
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    The Wii 2 would have had a healthy user base by now and in 2012 Nintendo could have then launched the Gamepad peripheral ($100) as an add-on.

If the Gamepad add-on failed;
    You can remove the "If" right there. If you want people to adopt peripherals and developers to make games for them, they need to be bundled in the base unit from the off. See things like Move and Kinect to highlight how little risk people take with a fragmented user base. File alongside why not adding a second nub to the PSP was the correct idea.
    My point being if the Wii 2 launched in 2010 (holiday/Christmas) at $249.99 with Kinect as the only real competition at $149.99, the Wii brand bandwagon would have continued into the HD era.

Well then there is the assumption that Nintendo could have broken even with a console @ $249.99, with the required HD assets inside, back then, remembering that is the ethos for their machines.

Sony & Microsoft distort the true cost of consoles because they are happy to throw money at the fuckers to get them into houses. Hugely risky if you fuck it up.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• MrTomFTW Moderator 15 May 2013 18:32:48 37,766 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks like they may just ditch the old one in Europe thanks to the lawsuits.

edit: I am slow, that was in response to nickthegun.

Edited by MrTomFTW at 18:33:18 15-05-2013

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• kalel 15 May 2013 18:39:55 86,904 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Amazing to think the PS2 has only just been discontinued this year.
  • Armoured_Bear 15 May 2013 18:41:30 10,568 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Amazing to think the PS2 has only just been discontinued this year.
    Bloody hell, I thought it was a few years ago.
    Amazing.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• JiveHound 15 May 2013 19:20:25 2,410 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Adds credence to the ten year PS3 cycle everyone laughed at.

Everyone that misconstrued ten years viability as ten years cutting edge anyhow.

Ryze, summed it up best. Nintendo knows how to be profitable, the Wii U will be fine. No matter how much they borked its launch.

Edited by JiveHound at 19:26:37 15-05-2013

• Pinky_Floyd 15 May 2013 22:41:30 7,679 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks for the friends adds chaps. Reckon me and Binky are one letter away from mistaken identity :)

My wireless controller pro arrived, it's possibly the nicest pad ever, and 80 hours out of one charge? Nice. Counter balances the 10 minutes I get out of the gamepad on a full charge.
  • JiveHound 15 May 2013 23:00:45 2,410 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    80?! I'm not surprised going by my experience but that is impressive.

It is a nice pad, analogue triggers away from perfection.

• addyb 15 May 2013 23:17:11 1,045 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I do like the pro pad. Feels very similar to the 360 in terms of comfort which I like as the 360 pad is thee benchmark imo.
  • Ryze 15 May 2013 23:19:15 3,123 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, the Wii U Pro controller is a light, expensive 360 pad, minus analogue triggers and a headset port.

Does the job. Now Nintendo need the games. The heat is on, eh?

• addyb 15 May 2013 23:27:09 1,045 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ryze wrote:
    Yeah, the Wii U Pro controller is a light, expensive 360 pad, minus analogue triggers and a headset port.

Does the job. Now Nintendo need the games. The heat is on, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjzXlRzM6PQ&hd=1
    Yeah I wish it had analogue triggers. The lack of headset port doesn't bother me as much, as to be honest im not really the big online gamer I was a few years ago. If I wasnt using party chat on the 360 I'd just use TS on the PC for comms.

Still a stupid omission via Nintendo there's no doubting that. It just doesn't hinder me thankfully.

Edited by addyb at 23:30:58 15-05-2013
  • Ryze 16 May 2013 00:13:19 3,123 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    If they've got games in the pipeline why have't we seen so much as a screenshot?
    - I want a screenshot of Agent, by Rockstar. Plus some of the concept material for the next 'Red Dead' game.

- I also want to see more of The Last Guardian - there's much more that they COULD show than they are showing.

- I've not seen any screenshots of Treyarch's next COD game. You know it's in development. Screenshots?

- I also want to see the Dual Shock 4 controller, but back in November 2012. I want to see it 6 months ago.

- I want a load of Gran Turismo 6 screenshots and an announcement, but I want it 3 months ago. WHY CAN'T I HAVE Gran Turismo 6 info in February 2013?!?!?!?!?!? Did GT6 not exist in Feb 2013?!? Why didn't I see it? If I cover my eyes when I look at you, you wont be able to see me, surely?

:D

There's more, because we don't know about, or haven't seen the 1000 games in development across the globe that haven't been announced or showcased, because they either haven't been announced, or haven't been showcased!

Comical character.

Edited by Ryze at 00:18:49 16-05-2013
  • Syrette 16 May 2013 00:14:56 43,295 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    tell em why u mad son

• Page

of 1356 First / Last