Wii U Page 626

• Page

of 1386 First / Last

• Raiko101 9 May 2013 13:14:57 6,568 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And Nintendo only changed their focus this year, after it became apparent major publishers were not going to follow up on their launch titles.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Armoured_Bear 9 May 2013 13:21:12 11,652 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Luckyjim wrote:

My prediction is that the Wii U will be no different to the Wii in terms of major third-party support and the frequency of first-party releases. Where it'll differ is in its Indie support and it's substantially lower sales.
    I don't even know if they will get the indies at the moment. Sony seem to be pushing massively in that direction and lots of good news has been plastered around, whereas the only dev feedback we hear from people working on the wii u is that nintendo are unhelpful and don't care.
    That's not even close to being true.
    Here is one of many examples.
    Could you name one recent example?

I've seen that Nintendo have lost EA, those Avalanche guys who are over the news and that Aliens game, but haven't seen anything good in months. (To be fair you are right in that those aren't Indie, but I think the point stands.)

Whereas Sony have been getting massive press in the last few weeks. Dropping PS Mobile costs, the much publicised indy drive for PS4 etc.

I'm not saying neccesarily that nintendo are not doing anything for the Indy guys (they may be, they just aren't publicising it, which is weird as they need all the goodwill they can get at the moment.) My point was more that Sony are doing it better.

Edit:

Massive press is probably the wrong word. Several articles is probably a better way of putting it.
    http://mynintendonews.com/2013/04/24/indie-title-forgotten-memories-officially-coming-to-wii-u/
    http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/05/01/the-next-wii-u-indie-is-pop-up-origami-game-tengami
    http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-truly-wants-to-be-indies-best-friend-252169.phtml
    http://forums.gametrailers.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1349194

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Sid-Nice 9 May 2013 13:22:36 15,851 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think we should have a Wii U related Jeffrey Matulef prediction thread; although this will be too simple to predict, as we'll have at least 2 days to find the next negative Wii U tweet before he posts an article about it.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Pinky_Floyd 9 May 2013 20:29:39 8,247 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Very tempted to order a basic from base.com at 149.99

I've never ordered from base, does anyone have any experience of buying there?
  • Progguitarist 9 May 2013 20:39:43 10,506 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't do it.

Wait another while and they'll be 100.
  • Pinky_Floyd 9 May 2013 20:42:51 8,247 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Don't do it.

Wait another while and they'll be 100.
    I'm not convinced that really will be the case. I hold my hands up and say that the possibility is there, but my gut instinct tells me that even an official price drop won't see the basic drop much under 150.
  • Sid-Nice 9 May 2013 21:20:13 15,851 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I heard a rumour that Nintendo were planning on including Nintendo Land with the Base model too. There is definitely a Wii U restructure on the cards; my sources at Foxconn claim production on the Base unit has ceased and production of the Deluxe/Premium model could end by November.

Hopefully a more realistic price point and some first party titles could change the Wii U's fate.

NNID Sid-Nice

• ronuds 9 May 2013 21:28:22 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They'll probably make models with more HDD space and keep the same price. I think the WiiU will look cheap compared to the 720 and PS4.
  • Pinky_Floyd 9 May 2013 21:42:11 8,247 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sid and ronuds, I would have to agree with you and am sure Nintendo are beavering away behind the scenes. Bigger HD space and better bundles at a more sensible price seem the most likely.

I still don't think we will see the console go under 150 for a good while yet. Certainly not officially.

Today's Nintendo is not the Nintendo of old who slashed the price of the N64 after launch then sent those of us who paid full price a free controller and 2 games.

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 21:42:30 09-05-2013
  • Sid-Nice 9 May 2013 21:52:43 15,851 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The (white) Basic model (is less susceptible to marks for sweaty hands) is worth 150; for an extra 50 you could get a decent external HDD. The crazy thing with the Basic model being white is the accessories that come with the Premium model are available to buy separately but in black not white.

NNID Sid-Nice

• ronuds 9 May 2013 21:56:29 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    I still don't think we will see the console go under 150 for a good while yet. Certainly not officially.
    I agree. There's really no benefit for them to drop the price right now, imo.
  • Deleted user 9 May 2013 21:59:02
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    is less susceptible to marks for sweaty hands
    Good job, considering the average owner.
  • DFawkes 9 May 2013 22:01:12 23,722 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The average Wii U owner has sweat glands? I suppose that's true. I'd have thought it'd be in the region of 100% of Wii U owners, really. I sweat, though I'm not really one for overly sweaty hands when gaming. I can't say there's any noticeable difference between the amount my hands sweat when playing my Wii U compared to the other consoles I've played.

Edited by DFawkes at 22:03:17 09-05-2013

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Deleted user 9 May 2013 22:02:29
    Excessive sweat is one of those signs you look out for. You know. Signs. Like eyes too close together or always has their mouth open.
  • Pinky_Floyd 9 May 2013 22:02:36 8,247 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I decided to buy. I like the price, I think it's reasonable. At 250, I think it's exactly 100 overpriced.

I have a couple of Wii motes and nunchucks lying around along with a couple of excellent wireless sensor bars. I have an old 120gb Seagate usb hard drive. Pretty certain I have at least one motion plus adapter somewhere too. All I really want is the wireless pro controller and I'm good to go. I do have a red controller that came with Xenoblade Chronicles, does that work on Wii U?

The first and probably only games I will buy for now are Monster Hunter and NSMBU.

What format does the hd need to be, ntfs or fat32?

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 22:03:55 09-05-2013
  • ronuds 9 May 2013 22:04:47 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Excessive sweat is one of those signs you look out for. You know. Signs. Like eyes too close together or always has their mouth open.
    Don't forget chewing the tongue.
  • DFawkes 9 May 2013 22:05:16 23,722 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just assumed it'd be best to format it via the console itself, much like when you format USB sticks for use on 360.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Sid-Nice 9 May 2013 22:21:27 15,851 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    I have a Seagate HDD connected to my Wii U; you can't have any data or PC files on the HDD as the Wii U formats the HDD, you can't transfer saved Wii U data to the PC. It is recommend that you use a HDD with its own power supply.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Pinky_Floyd 9 May 2013 22:32:46 8,247 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    I have a Seagate HDD connected to my Wii U; you can't have any data or PC files on the HDD as the Wii U formats the HDD, you can't transfer saved Wii U data to the PC. It is recommend that you use a HDD with its own power supply.
    My Seagate has two usb leads, one for data and one for power, sound like it might do the job?
  • addyb 9 May 2013 22:40:13 1,240 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    meme wrote:
    Don't forget chewing the tongue.
    And attention seeking on internet forums. ;)
  • Sid-Nice 9 May 2013 22:52:08 15,851 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    My Seagate has two usb leads, one for data and one for power, sound like it might do the job?
    The Y lead is suppose to work; but Nintendo recommend you use a HDD with its own power supply.

NNID Sid-Nice

• neilka 9 May 2013 22:55:21 16,445 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nintendo fans are the only species to have sweat glands on their teeth.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Pinky_Floyd 9 May 2013 23:02:26 8,247 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    The Y lead is suppose to work; but Nintendo recommend you use a HDD with its own power supply.
    Ta - they say:

some bus-powered hard disc drives draw more current than the USB 2.0 specification and might not run stably

I should be ok, mine is a bit older and only 120gb and has been working on usb 2.0 for years.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 9 May 2013 23:13:09 2,218 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would go out and buy a Wii U basic tomorrow for 150 if it came in black.
  • JiveHound 10 May 2013 08:42:02 2,641 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd

Pretty sure the classic controller works with most games.

I would certainly recommend a pro though. Despite not having analogue triggers it's a really good pad. Its battery seems to last a ridiculously long time on a single charge going by mine.

Comes in the really annoying fingerprint attracting gloss at the moment. Why these console manufacturers decided this material is desirable is beyond me.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• CharlieStCloud 10 May 2013 08:55:01 5,350 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Why these console manufacturers decided this material is desirable is beyond me.
    Only Nintendo.

The Xbox 360 is matte as is the super slim PlayStation 3 except the curved edges.

... I truly dislike glossy material. Not only does it looks cheap and tacky, it shows up fingerprints and scratches like nobodies business.
  • JiveHound 10 May 2013 09:01:53 2,641 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yup it's Nintendo that decided it needs to be on pads too. Mental.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Armoured_Bear 10 May 2013 09:06:05 11,652 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    @Pinky_Floyd

Pretty sure the classic controller works with most games.

I would certainly recommend a pro though. Despite not having analogue triggers it's a really good pad. Its battery seems to last a ridiculously long time on a single charge going by mine.

Comes in the really annoying fingerprint attracting gloss at the moment. Why these console manufacturers decided this material is desirable is beyond me.
    The Pro Pad looks nice but there's nothing at all for me to use it with so not an option atm.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Cappy 10 May 2013 09:09:02 12,086 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Upcoming Euro releases, still no date for Pikmin 3. Let's hope it doesn't follow in the footsteps of various other localisations which have lagged behind the US release by six months or even longer. You can't even do anything about it since this system is region locked up nice and tight, just sit and watch the rest of the World play it.

Come to think of it, the Wii U is probably the least import friendly console ever. If your controller breaks for whatever reason you are totally stuffed, the Wii U pad is also region locked, which I couldn't believe. If you buy a cheap Euro Wii U to get a replacement controller that won't work, if you send your broken pad to Nintendo you'll get a Euro pad back which won't work. If it gets stolen or lost they'll send you a Euro pad. NOA won't send you a US pad, so you're stuck with buying another console entirely as your only option to replace the controller.

05/24 Fast & Furious: Showdown
    05/24 Resident Evil: Revelations
    05/24 Sniper Elite V2
    06/21 Ashes Cricket 2013
    06/28 Scribblenauts Unlimited
    07/19 The Smurfs 2
    08/30 Rayman Legends
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 10 May 2013 09:12:51 39,282 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All killer, no filler on that list. Proper system sellers.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Page

of 1386 First / Last