Wii U Page 588

• Page

of 1345 First / Last

• Sid-Nice 6 Apr 2013 01:56:26 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My milkman used to deliver cheese, eggs, fruit juice, cream in addition do my daily pint of gold top, yet the fucking neighbours are telling him to go soft cheese only?

NNID Sid-Nice

• addyb 6 Apr 2013 07:43:07 1,020 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    My milkman used to deliver cheese, eggs, fruit juice, cream in addition do my daily pint of gold top, yet the fucking neighbours are telling him to go soft cheese only?
    A soft cheese only man? That be a nice pitch going round neighbourhood drumming up business.

* Knock Knock*

"Excuse me love I'm just wondering if you would be interested in my cheese?"

SLAP!!!!!

*close door*
  • Ienjoysquid 6 Apr 2013 07:45:49 30 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I caught our milkman contaminating my silver top with nob cheese. I have never ordered a pinter since.

I failed to ask him his opinions on the Wii U as I was too busy calling the dairy.
  • THFourteen 6 Apr 2013 07:54:51 32,857 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    The 3DS would have been a disaster had Nintendo not desperately slashed a third off its price tag five months after launch. Given that Nintendo have repeatedly stated they won't do the same with the Wii U, I'm not sure why there's any cause for optimism that the Wii U will enjoy a similar revival in fortunes.
    It's already available cut price.
  • Birdorf 6 Apr 2013 08:08:39 122 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Wii U'll be fine....

Super Metroid for 6 bob next month. Purchase justified.

It does look slightly (very) grim at the mo, but I'm looking forward to playing some SNES on the gamepad, and once the price officially drops and the Wii Fit and casuals get on board, it'll get some momentum, developers will flood to it and everything will be fine.

It'll be fine, it'll be fine...
  • Birdorf 6 Apr 2013 09:10:03 122 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It'll be fine.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Apr 2013 09:11:43 10,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Zombi U for 24 quid at amazon

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Tekkirai 6 Apr 2013 13:50:22 104 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    According to Destructoid, there's noises from developers that they are receiving Wii U dev kits for free. Now there's an act of desperation if I ever saw one, if true.
  • CharlieStCloud 6 Apr 2013 14:02:03 5,046 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Zombi U for 24 quid at amazon
    Up to four weeks to be delivered? It shall soon be readily available for 20.

As for the news of 'dev kits for nothing', it could just be one of many rumours started up by those who find joy in Wii U's present doom and gloom however, if true, then that is indeed a sign of desperation.
  • Sid-Nice 6 Apr 2013 14:05:45 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tekkirai wrote:
    According to Destructoid, there's noises from developers that they are receiving Wii U dev kits for free. Now there's an act of desperation if I ever saw one, if true.
    The April Wii U update will allow Wii U owners to develop their own games and upload them to the eShop; you will receive 2 Nintendo Stars for each sale, which can be redeemed from the Stars Catalogue on the official Nintendo website.

These are certainly desperate measures for a console with no games.

NNID Sid-Nice

• addyb 6 Apr 2013 14:17:03 1,020 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nice one. Going to make RC Pro Am 3 and upload it.
  • roz123 6 Apr 2013 14:25:40 7,112 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I heard they gave the devs making Shovelknight a free dev kit but they are a new studio who all came from wayforward. Most the games they made were for Nintendo platforms
  • Aretak 6 Apr 2013 15:25:48 10,345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Aretak wrote:
    The 3DS would have been a disaster had Nintendo not desperately slashed a third off its price tag five months after launch. Given that Nintendo have repeatedly stated they won't do the same with the Wii U, I'm not sure why there's any cause for optimism that the Wii U will enjoy a similar revival in fortunes.
    It's already available cut price.
    Irrelevant. An official price cut complete with accompanying ad campaign would have an infinitely more pronounced effect on sales. The current retailer-driven price cuts have the stench of death surrounding them, because it seems as if retailers are just clearing stock (and they are). Not to mention that an official cut allows the possibility of retailers selling it even cheaper on top of that in their own price wars.

Nintendo need to essentially relaunch it at this point, and it needs to happen well in advance of the new consoles arriving. Ditching the Basic model entirely and getting the Premium officially down under 200 with a couple of games would be a good start. Retailers would then shave another 10-20 off that and it'd seem a much more attractive prospect, both as a lone console and something to sit beside a PS4/720.

Announcing it at E3 combined with a glut of box-ticking game announcements (3D Mario, new Zelda, etc.) would go a long way towards resuscitating it. I don't actually expect any of this to happen though.
  • DFawkes 6 Apr 2013 15:26:19 22,588 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tekkirai wrote:
    According to Destructoid, there's noises from developers that they are receiving Wii U dev kits for free.
    That's very nice of them, and would certainly tie into working towards the coming holiday season. Might not be enough time to fully develop games though, but I could see smaller indie stuff happening in that time frame, like ports of stuff using the Unity engine.

Certainly a positive thing to do :) I could see it being rather easy to twist this into "ooh, desperation!" if it weren't for the fact it ties in with what we already knew already about Nintendo trying to make it more attractive for indie devs to make stuff for Wii U by giving them a larger cut, plus that deal that gives them the Unity engine to use.

It's more the timing that's strange - all those rumours from before the Wii U was even out about them trying to make it welcoming to indie devs, so why not start it back then?

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Cappy 6 Apr 2013 16:16:38 11,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Cappy wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    You conveniently omit the significantly higher RAM and significantly more capable GPU.
    It's not relevant to the argument, which is that the Wii U isn't outright better than the PS3 and 360.

It should be, but it isn't.
    Of course it is, why on earth are the recent ports like NFS and Deux Ex being beefed up?
    At this point the burden of proof lies with you. We've already seen feedback from developers, we've seen teardowns of the entire console, if there's some magic component in there that makes the memory faster and the CPU better than the PS3 and 360 you'll have to prove that.

Otherwise, just accept it's a pro/con situation and the Wii U isn't outright better than the other HD platforms.

I don't know why you bother, of course Nintendo have held back documentation from third parties in the past. It happened, it's a fact. In the mid 90s they were charging something ridiculous like $17 royalties versus $8 for the Playstation, because it's a privilege to be allowed to make games for a Nintendo console. Hardware documentation was treated as privilege also. Even on the Gamecube they were telling us that publishers wouldn't mind paying extra royalties for the privilege of releasing games on the Gamecube... Or they could just make games for the extremely popular PS2.

All in all it paints a picture of astounding hubris and arrogance, third parties were there to serve Nintendo and perhaps be allowed the honour of releasing games on their systems. Any information on exploiting the hardware was jealously guarded. That's initially the reason why Nintendo became interested in Rare, they'd managed to squeeze impressive performance out of the NES without any help.

Nintendo slowly had to modify their behaviour because Sony entered the market. Now they stick to screwing people via less overt methods. Have Nintendo stopped dragging their heels and paid that massive EU price fixing fine yet?
  • roz123 10 Apr 2013 09:06:04 7,112 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Runner2 is out on Thursday
  • Deleted user 10 April 2013 09:10:23
    So when are these April updates going to appear? I hope they sort out the PAL Wii up-scaling. It's like playing on a big 3DS screen.
  • malloc 10 Apr 2013 09:20:53 2,299 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Cappy wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    You conveniently omit the significantly higher RAM and significantly more capable GPU.
    It's not relevant to the argument, which is that the Wii U isn't outright better than the PS3 and 360.

It should be, but it isn't.
    Of course it is, why on earth are the recent ports like NFS and Deux Ex being beefed up?
    At this point the burden of proof lies with you. We've already seen feedback from developers, we've seen teardowns of the entire console, if there's some magic component in there that makes the memory faster and the CPU better than the PS3 and 360 you'll have to prove that.

Otherwise, just accept it's a pro/con situation and the Wii U isn't outright better than the other HD platforms.

I don't know why you bother, of course Nintendo have held back documentation from third parties in the past. It happened, it's a fact. In the mid 90s they were charging something ridiculous like $17 royalties versus $8 for the Playstation, because it's a privilege to be allowed to make games for a Nintendo console. Hardware documentation was treated as privilege also. Even on the Gamecube they were telling us that publishers wouldn't mind paying extra royalties for the privilege of releasing games on the Gamecube... Or they could just make games for the extremely popular PS2.

All in all it paints a picture of astounding hubris and arrogance, third parties were there to serve Nintendo and perhaps be allowed the honour of releasing games on their systems. Any information on exploiting the hardware was jealously guarded. That's initially the reason why Nintendo became interested in Rare, they'd managed to squeeze impressive performance out of the NES without any help.

Nintendo slowly had to modify their behaviour because Sony entered the market. Now they stick to screwing people via less overt methods. Have Nintendo stopped dragging their heels and paid that massive EU price fixing fine yet?
    10 years ago this post would still have been out of date.
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Apr 2013 09:24:48 10,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Montgomery_Flange wrote:
    So when are these April updates going to appear? I hope they sort out the PAL Wii up-scaling. It's like playing on a big 3DS screen.
    What's the issue with the upscaling?
    I hadn't heard about that.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• nickthegun 10 Apr 2013 09:25:28 58,782 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And if I havent heard about it, it doesnt exist.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• DFawkes 10 Apr 2013 09:33:37 22,588 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As far as I've been told (by an old article of EG), it can look a bit terrible if using any cable other than HDMI because it forces you to use less than optimal settings and doesn't let you change them.

Mostly fine with HDMI, except again it takes away some options. The ones that I feel aren't as good, but it really shouldn't be something that's chosen for you.

Edited by DFawkes at 09:34:50 10-04-2013

• Raiko101 10 Apr 2013 11:30:47 6,055 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @roz123 I got impatient and bought the XBLA version a couple of weeks back. Great game. More than playable with an analog stick, but the d-pad will make a hard playthough a little easier for yourself.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Deleted user 10 April 2013 11:34:04
    I really hope they hurry up with the Virtual Console. Surely games like Super Mario 64 and OOT should have been there from launch.
  • neilka 10 Apr 2013 11:35:13 15,641 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I quite enjoyed it when I played it on Steam a month ago too.

I'm sure the Wii U version will sell great though!
  • Raiko101 10 Apr 2013 11:40:08 6,055 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Montgomery_Flange If the 3DS is anything to go by, they wont be there at launch. It would appear that with the 3DS, they've been spreading out the releases of bigger titles in order to give lesser known games a bit of chance to to sell.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• neilka 10 Apr 2013 14:14:04 15,641 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wii U version of Splinter Cell Blacklist allows you to use the GamePad to "peer through keyholes"

They certainly know their target demographic.
  • DFawkes 10 Apr 2013 14:45:01 22,588 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As their target demographic (people who want to play Splinter Cell on Wii U) I'd say it'll do nicely :) Nothing revolutionary or anything, but I'm not fussy about that. I am concerned at the lack of mentioning off-screen play - it would be annoying if the Peek-cam was mandatory and stopped them adding it. I don't mind silly extras for the sake of it, but not if it means no off-screen play.

• Progguitarist 11 Apr 2013 19:59:55 10,400 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is Nano Assault Neo worth a damn?
  • Birdorf 11 Apr 2013 20:18:14 122 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Seems a bit bare-bones compared to the 3DS version. It's not really gripped me.
  • Page

of 1345 First / Last