Dust 514 Page 9

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• mothercruncher 21 Sep 2012 22:04:44 7,880 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got an invite, spent 8 gajillion minutes downloading and patching it. Loaded it up, had absolutely zero idea what I was supposed to do and why I was supposed to do it, hated the core gunplay and thought the graphics were bland as musty old cardboard.

In short. No. In long. Noooooooooooooo.
  • ResidentKnievel 21 Sep 2012 22:16:28 6,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a crime that they've decided to pretty much transplant the opaque interface for EVE in to Dust. Buying items and creating load-outs is an absolute mess, unless you already have a good understanding of EVE it's going to be incredibly confusing and boring.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 22:16:48 21-09-2012

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Progguitarist 22 Sep 2012 03:04:08 10,537 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They've dropped the bal big time.

Instead of an FPS where the players reactions and skill with the controller determine the outcome of battles Dust is a game where the player who has invested more time in the game wins. You can't compete with higher level weapons or players who have pumped all skill points into Assault Rifle handling. So either you are there from day one or else you buy booster to compete with the no lifers.

All they needed to do was created a fun, competent shooter...add a few twists to what is already out there. Instead, they've created the fussiest, most needlessly complicated, inaccessible pile of shite and forgotten the core elements that make people play FPS's altogether.

Game is doomed.
  • ResidentKnievel 23 Sep 2012 17:08:37 6,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think once the whole MMO part of the equation gets implemented the meta-game aspect will make a lot more sense. I'm not usually a fan of meta-game shooters like Call of Duty but I think it can work in a single shard MMO environment.

I agree with the "fussiest, most needlessly complicated, inaccessible pile of shite" part, though.

• Widge Moderator 24 Sep 2012 10:10:29 13,746 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just booted it up and thought "I don't have time for you"... maybe further down the line.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Cjail 24 Sep 2012 12:28:58 12 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dust 514 could be a "nomen omen" game.

Edited by Cjail at 13:14:22 24-09-2012
  • Gambit1977 28 Sep 2012 11:17:13 10,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haven't played this since about, June (perhaps?)
    Is it still poo? It was really awful back then.
  • Ginger 28 Sep 2012 11:29:48 6,921 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Integration with Eve is coming along nicely

London open taekwondo champion

• Progguitarist 28 Sep 2012 12:41:55 10,537 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    It's still as shitty as it was then. They could integrate this with Kelly Brook's tits. It's still going to be a massive turd gyrating back and forward between two massive piles of donkey shit,
  • Gambit1977 28 Sep 2012 12:47:00 10,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    It's still as shitty as it was then. They could integrate this with Kelly Brook's tits. It's still going to be a massive turd gyrating back and forward between two massive piles of donkey shit,
    Shame. :(
    Nice idea. But just so dull and brown. The shooting was awful too. And I've never ever played another game where the start menu lagged!
  • Progguitarist 28 Sep 2012 12:49:57 10,537 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's a new build being released next week. If that doesn't show enormous improvements then this is truly fucked.
  • Fregonesi86 28 Sep 2012 13:53:46 2 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hello all.
    We are a gaming clan been around since early 2010 we are currently looking for new members to expand our separate game division. So if you are considering joining a clan here are the games we currently support and have active clan divisions in...

Games we play:
    Battlefield 3 http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/en/platoon/2832655240995126581/
    Dust 514
    EVE online
    Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

If you are interested in joining a clan please feel free to check out our active website at D3LR.net and see what we have. If you have any questions please reply to this thread or make a thread on our website it will be answered when possible. To go straight to our clan application go here D3athD3alers.net/app . If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

We are a clan that started out in the north american time zone with a few members in EU and are currently looking to heavily expand into the European time zones so any European members looking for clans please apply.

• Widge Moderator 5 Oct 2012 21:19:51 13,746 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's just a bit SLUGGISH. Killzone was a measured shooter but it felt satisfying, this feels like a match to repeated deaths. Warhawk had scale but a fantastic immediacy.

I just don't have the CARE to invest in the epic layers of menus and whatnot. It's just too much to devote time to.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• ResidentKnievel 5 Oct 2012 21:33:37 6,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In a normal FPS you control the buggy/jeep type vehicle with both sticks, left stick to accelerate/reverse and the right stick to steer.

In DUST 514 you control the buggy/jeep type vehicle with the left stick only with no way to change it.

Yes, it plays as terribly as it sounds, yes, they've had months to fix it and yes, it's indicative of the game as a whole.

• Progguitarist 9 Oct 2012 21:08:10 10,537 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, there may be some hope for this after all.

The new build is MUCH better. More stable and the gun play is actually decent.
  • RedSparrows 10 Oct 2012 14:45:28 24,289 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Glad to hear it. I hope it doesn't die on its ass.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 14:48:14
    Still destined to fail. By the time this ships the next gen will be just around the corner and nobody will give a fuck about this.

I was negged for saying this on the front page but let's see what happens shall we.
  • HisDudness 10 Oct 2012 15:34:58 1,017 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They must have planned some transition though. I can't imagine them keeping it off of PCs forever either. If they have the PS4 update ready at release, it could actually capture a big audience as launch titles are typically thin for the new consoles.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 16:04:48
    That would be its only hope of lasting success, but such an undertaking would surely require a prohibitively huge increase in resources and financial risk - given that the first version of the game isn't even done yet and therefore completely unproven as a model.
  • HisDudness 10 Oct 2012 16:12:37 1,017 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't imagine it being prohibitively expensive to port a Unreal Engine game to PC. In fact it makes so much sense, it's bound to happen sooner rather than later. The big risk, I guess, would be cannibalizing their EVE subscribers. But I reckon those players would see the games as complements rather than substitutes?

PS4 doesn't exist though, so no point in thinking about that.
  • Progguitarist 10 Oct 2012 16:53:30 10,537 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It'll be a moderate success. This build is alot more accessible and the squad commands are working properly now. It's decent at the moment...it won't trouble cod or BF but it will probably have it's own following.
  • Ron_Justice 10 Oct 2012 17:54:40 2,488 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I played a couple of times at the Expo and enjoyed the build they had there and as PG says above they've come a hell of a long way. When I first played it back in June / July it was atrocious. This is actually fun now and certainly no worse than something like Blacklight.

Steam/Origin - Ron_Justice
    PSN - hyper_808

• ResidentKnievel 10 Oct 2012 18:01:42 6,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CaptainQuint wrote:
    That would be its only hope of lasting success, but such an undertaking would surely require a prohibitively huge increase in resources and financial risk - given that the first version of the game isn't even done yet and therefore completely unproven as a model.
    I can't see how a quick PC/PS4 port would be such a huge financial undertaking

• RedSparrows 10 Oct 2012 18:19:18 24,289 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PS4 might be.

Also, if it is only as good as Blacklight then it is in the shit. Hopefully not.
  • Progguitarist 10 Oct 2012 19:02:12 10,537 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Ron_Justice It's also not going to be truly "finished". They always be upgrading and adding new content.

I think it'll do fairly well. Needs a proper ADS view now and we'll be really heading in the right direction.
  • Widge Moderator 11 Oct 2012 00:10:16 13,746 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd imagine the PS3 -> PS4 transition would be along the lines of Medium details vs Ultra details. In a simplistic world maybe.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Triggerhappytel 11 Oct 2012 07:00:53 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I tried giving this another go earlier in the week, and it just sat on the loading/title screen for bloody ages. I think it was trying to find a server, but I don't expect to have to wait 10 minutes without any joy.
  • Ron_Justice 11 Oct 2012 08:34:47 2,488 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Progguitarist , your right. But then what modern FPS is truly finished? BFBC2 was receiving patches for a year, CoD's get tweaked over time and BF3 has pretty much turning into a service now - Patched / DLC every three months over the life of the game.

I played a bit last night and enjoyed it. It's a wee bit too easy though - In my first game of what is essentially TDM I managed to get a very positive K/D while basically running around like a loon - and it's still a little rough around the edges - animations not quite working, HUD / Spawn interface not very accurate. Having said that, it's very serviceable. It perhaps takes too long to drop people with the default Assault rifle - an entire magazine - but it's OK. Not as polished as other AAA shooters but then I didn't ever expect it to be.

I'll also echo the issue with loading times. This is bound to get better, on a nuts and bolts level, but it must have taken me about 10 / 12 minutes to get in a game last night and that's not down to 'searching' for games or anything. Just the hoops that game asks you to jump through before letting you in a game. Admittedly, that time did include selecting my load out, race, bloodline, class, skin and a couple of videos to explain stuff but still. A quick join button would be very welcome.

Steam/Origin - Ron_Justice
    PSN - hyper_808

• ResidentKnievel 11 Oct 2012 10:01:36 6,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You'll never get a quick join button, it's an MMO after all.

I rather like the opening video, got me rather excited, then I played a few matches and felt a bit bleh.

• Page

of 13 First / Last