Windows 8 Page 30

• Page

of 43 First / Last

• L0cky 19 Nov 2012 22:19:01 1,499 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Bundled Stock and News apps aren't a feature of the OS. Nor have they been advertised as such. Hence why you can remove them in two short mouse clicks. In fact, the only apps that are mentioned on the webpage as "built-in" (ie the only ones approximating an "advertised feature" ) are the ones without ads.
    Their apps page says otherwise.

Edited by L0cky at 22:20:49 19-11-2012
  • Deleted user 19 November 2012 22:25:12
    Their apps page just lists apps. Their "basic apps" list just shows the ones they personally made and recommend. Skype isn't pre-installed, for instance, but it's listed there.
  • Fourwisemen 20 Nov 2012 08:18:14 154 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This maybe slightly off topic but I upgraded my laptop to Win8 and downloaded the free OneNote App, which I think is pretty good (sync to the free iOS versions etc).

One problem I do have is printing a OneNote Workbook and for the life of me can't work out how. Anyone worked this our?
  • RobAnybody 21 Nov 2012 19:44:02 881 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Windows 8 Sales 'Well Below' Projections For Microsoft -

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-8-Sales-Microsoft-OS,19184.html

Well, who'd have thought it eh? ;)
  • Deleted user 21 November 2012 19:47:58
    I think the big problem is that they assumed everyone who bought a recent laptop would upgrade through the cheap offer.
  • superdelphinus 21 Nov 2012 20:45:26 8,016 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    Windows 8 Sales 'Well Below' Projections For Microsoft -

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-8-Sales-Microsoft-OS,19184.html

Well, who'd have thought it eh? ;)
    That is all about Windows 8 PCs, or am I mistaken
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Nov 2012 16:07:36 14,056 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Signs aren't good. When the corporate world rejects your new OS (for very good reasons), it's time for MS to worry. This could end up tanking harder than vista.

What I don't understand, for the life of me, is why MS decided to completely rid of the start button.
    IMO, the metro panel shouldn't mean riding the start button. It would've been so much easier to integrate both, similar to Telerik's touch interface for W7 here. Or even design it better (so at least the start bar wasn't so visibly obvious like in telerik, but still clearly there).

I'm 99% sure this would've satisfied the vast majority of people; touch-screen WITH and over desktop, not forced to dance in 2 different parties.
    Desktop users can happily use it like desktop, touch-users like touch. If touch users got confused, they could just quickly navtigate the desktop way. It would've been a far easier solution and better to slowly transition people, not this culture shock.

Whoever's idea this was should be fired.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2012 16:13:55
    To be fair, both Vista and 7 were also basically rejected by businesses, mostly for compatibility reasons. Last time I checked, the NHS was just about getting around to considering a rollout of Windows 7 for non-essential PCs. No (sensible) business organisation adopts a new OS on launch.
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Nov 2012 16:25:18 14,056 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The issue now is that, security and compatibility aren't even issues now. The issue for the vast majority of businesses (and consumers I guess) is the new GUI. It's just too much change, too soon.

Edit: It's not even launch, most are planning to skip it entirely.
    As you say, compatibility and costs is also an issue, now business will have to retrain staff on how to use metro UI?

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 16:26:33 22-11-2012
  • Dirtbox 22 Nov 2012 16:27:05 77,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think MS have taken a massive misstep with this, they need to do what they do without falling for the apple gimmick bullshit. I was initially hoping that 8 would follow a different branch, but nope, they've followed apple off a cliff.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 22 November 2012 16:29:53
    Compatibility is the primary issue. Most large-scale organisations use some form of esoteric software that rarely, if ever, gets upgraded or replaced. Some machines in GP surgeries were still using Windows 98 up until 2010 because the monitoring software they used just plain didn't work on XP. Likewise the IP phone system our office used didn't work properly on Vista/7, so we stuck with XP. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that most large organisations are still primarily on XP.

If companies aren't willing to make the jump from XP to Vista/7, they sure as shite aren't going to make the jump from XP to 8. If they'd made the jump to 7 it would be less of an issue now, but the gulf's only getting wider.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2012 16:39:09
    It's also worth pointing out that Vista didn't tank - it actually exceeded MS's expectations for lifetime sales. Again, the problem there was with Windows XP. A gap of over five years from launch to successor was pretty much unheard of, so the public perception was that releasing 7 two years after Vista was an admission of its failure.
  • uk_judgement 22 Nov 2012 23:51:19 86 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have followed this thread with interest. I have never "chosen" an operating system before, I have always just used the one on the computer at purchase - which has been XP and then 7. After my laptop died recently, I needed to have a clean install so I decided that once i'd done the 7 install, I would pay the 24.99 and upgrade to 8.

I'd say that I am an average home user of a pc who uses it for emails, some work and admin, storing photos and videos (and a small addiction to Steam).

After the upgrade, which I found to be really helpful and quite simple, my thoughts are that the system is quite flashy and a bit of fun, but when you need to do your normal tasks, you just pop through to the desktop and get on with it. I don't think the absence of the start menu is a problem really. I've added all the necessary shortcuts to the desktop - and most of them to the Start screen as well - and it all seems to be going fine - no major issues at all.

The store is quite interesting, and i'm sure that's where the more basic users than I (not many) will get most of their programs from, but again, there is nothing to stop one downloading and installing like in 7.

Overall, I would say that, yes, it might be a bit gimmicky and be a bit annoying for power-technical users, but for the average user, its not really a bad OS at all. Not like Vista, that was bad!

Just my thoughts anyway!

- Edit for poor grammar and spelling!

Edited by uk_judgement at 23:54:04 22-11-2012
  • oceanmotion 27 Nov 2012 14:53:12 15,647 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Perhaps a silly question but how do you right click on a touch screen ?
  • Dirtbox 27 Nov 2012 15:12:25 77,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Press and hold.

• tincanrocket 27 Nov 2012 15:48:12 2,905 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also posted in the Bargains Thread, but just in case anyone if after a deal on a Win8 PC:

Anyone got one of these Dells? Any comments? Particularly interested in how quiet/noisy they are...

A pretty decent deal for a Dell PC, originally posted on HUKD. I was going to order it for a colleague, but have decided to keep it for myself, as my home PC is an old Quad Core Core2 and is getting a bit long in the tooth. 370 for a Dell XPS 8500:

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=d00x8504&model_id=xps-8500&c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

Use the code BBWTC4RT675BD6 for 10 % off and then 9BDPN3HHGH91DZ for a further 100 discount. Ditch the mouse and save a further 20.

Seemed like a good price for the spec. I should be able to take the gpu out of my current PC to improve performance, and up the RAM cheaply. Might pick up a cheap SSD for the system software.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 18 Dec 2012 13:58:21 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just got a copy of this and quite like the new user interface. I like the mail client.

In terms of functionality i'm not sure it improves on 7 but it seems to be trying to achieve the same thing the ipad does, in that it takes you longer to do shit, but you have a better time doing it.

If that makes any sense :D
  • PlugMonkey 14 Jan 2013 13:32:44 158 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Chopsen

If they wanted people to adopt a new UI, they should have not had the normal desktop exist as a weird parellel environment along side metro, and designed something that seamlessly incorporated Retro software.
    That's absolutely what they *should* have done. Rather then releasing two operating systems awkwardly joined at the hip - 'Metro' for all your tablety social networking, multimedia what-not and 'Desktop' as your working environment - there should be a new, fully integrated working environment that replaces 'Desktop'.

The problem there being: they don't have one. The company is so out of position on everything that they just don't have that side of things ready yet, but they desperately NEED to get the Metro side of things out there, and so we end up with this omnishambles of a paid-for beta release.

They'll sort it out in time, and I don't see anything in Win8 that makes me any more likely to believe that the next step is going to be the dreaded walled garden. 'Desktop' will go, but it will be replaced with a new working environment that integrates with Metro, once they actually have one.

For the time being, the fact that software you download outside of Metro only installs outside of Metro is simply a least worst solution to maintaining it as a viable working environment.

For example: I use Dropbox to back up and share my work between computers, so when I installed Win8, I searched the app store, found it and downloaded it. But that installed it into Metro! What use do I have for Dropbox in Metro? I need it in Desktop! So, I downloaded the exe from the website and installed it normally. Imagine if I couldn't have done that? Imagine if everything did install into the Metro environment? Desktop would be rendered inoperable. So, in my opinion, 'Desktop' apps installing to 'Desktop' isn't the harbinger of a dystopian future where you can only install things through the appstore, it's just that for the time being it's the only way to ensure that the two halves of this thoroughly dysfunctional pairing don't completely trample each other to death.

The thing is though, it's early days, but I rather like Metro for my social networking and multimedia what-nots. There's a chance that Valve may have shot themselves in the foot by fighting this instead of using their current influence to leverage a favourable position on the inside. I am already starting to want my games on the Metro side of the fence, and Valve seem to have decided to set up shop entirely on the working environment side of the fence instead.

The fact that I'm downloading apps from 3rd parties to integrate my Steam games into Metro rather than Valve doing it themselves seems a little farcical, and means they're losing control over how I interact with their service. And they've rather burnt their bridges now.
  • Mr-Brett 19 Jan 2013 11:19:14 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If anyone was planning on making the upgrade you might want to do it sooner rather than later. From the 1st of February it's going to jump up to silly prices of old.

I installed it on a family members laptop the other day because their Vista license had shit itself and upgrading to 8 seemed like the cheapest solution.
    I was quite surprised by how annoying it is to find things without the start menu and by how many things didn't work after the upgrade, like office :/
    Also because it's an older crappy mobile gpu it's impossible to get compatible drivers so it's stuck in 1024x768 which looks awful.

I'll be sticking with 7 for a bit I think.

Portable view - Never forget.

• WrongShui 19 Jan 2013 11:51:27 6,598 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a few issues with this, any game that starts in a resolution different to my desktop has an odd problem where the mouse won't move around the entire screen, as in it's limited to the dimensions of the resolution of the game inside the native screen res.

Occasionally after a restart it will never start up again, just a blinking cursor on the screen till I reinstall it.

Occasionally my SSD is removed from the boot priority, so I have to go into bios and put it back, not sure if this W8 but it never happened in W7.

On a couple of occasions updating the graphics driver has bugged out windows constantly flickering the screen like it's resetting the graphics card untill I boot into safe mode.

Certain games crash the graphics card that didn't in windows 7.

I like it for the most part, preferred 7 though since I could symlink my users directory to my larger hard drive to clear space off my tiny SSD, windows 8 won't behave properly with that at all.

Edited by WrongShui at 11:53:48 19-01-2013
  • Nazo 19 Jan 2013 11:56:17 335 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They should have got rid of the start button years ago, it's a terrible UI design.

Press the windows key, type in a few letters. Pin commonly used things to task bar / desktop. What's hard about that?
  • CharlieStCloud 19 Jan 2013 12:00:23 5,042 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    I was quite surprised by how annoying it is to find things without the start menu and by how many things didn't work after the upgrade, like office ... : /
    This may help with your Office woes ... Microsoft Office Home Premium 2013 Preview

Try it!
  • Fake_Blood 19 Jan 2013 12:12:25 4,063 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    They should have got rid of the start button years ago, it's a terrible UI design.

Press the windows key, type in a few letters. Pin commonly used things to task bar / desktop. What's hard about that?
    It's easy! It really is the fastest way to find an app.
    That's why it's in Win7.
  • Nazo 19 Jan 2013 12:38:31 335 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Nazo wrote:

It's easy! It really is the fastest way to find an app.
    That's why it's in Win7.
    Exactly, that's why I don't get why people are confused by 8, it's really not that different to use.
  • Dirtbox 19 Jan 2013 12:49:17 77,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Because it's completely unnecessary and obstructive. As to the start button being useless, that's purely a matter of opinion and one that few people will agree with.

• Steve_Perry 19 Jan 2013 13:18:15 3,544 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I never, ever use the new start screen. I find it obtrusive. It looks nice, and using it on touch is lovely. But for an average PC, windows 7 all the way.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• grey_matters 20 Jan 2013 14:53:36 3,671 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finally decided to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.
    I've bought the Product Key but the bastarding Download Windows application is reporting an "Unspecified Error" almost immediately (and terminating the Download).

Presumably I can just download an ISO from somewhere and upgrade from a disc, any recommended sites?
  • Dirtbox 20 Jan 2013 14:58:01 77,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep. copy the iso's files onto a USB drive and install directly from it. You don't even need to boot from it.

• grey_matters 20 Jan 2013 15:11:55 3,671 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Yep. copy the iso's files onto a USB drive and install directly from it. You don't even need to boot from it.
    Great stuff. Any particular recommendation for a safe place to download from? Isohunt ok?
  • Dirtbox 20 Jan 2013 15:13:18 77,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think I just got one off tpb.

• Page

of 43 First / Last