• Page

of 61 First / Last

• Jeepers 2 Jun 2011 13:14:23 13,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    President Weasel wrote:
    meme wrote:
    No, I make sure that all my comments are one sentence, no more, no less, otherwise something bad would happen to the universe, like an implosion, or maybe an explosion, but either way if it's more than one sentence something bad would happen, maybe not the end of the world that might be an exaggeration, but still bad, like Hitler bad.

You should really have a semicolon before "maybe not the end of the world" and a comma after, it would help your sentence enormously.
    You should have a full stop after 'after', not a comma.

Sentence fragment. See me after the lesson.
  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 13:15:05
    I sense an imminent caning.
  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 13:22:08 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /takes out cane
  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 13:23:53 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    Genji wrote:
    President Weasel wrote:
    meme wrote:
    No, I make sure that all my comments are one sentence, no more, no less, otherwise something bad would happen to the universe, like an implosion, or maybe an explosion, but either way if it's more than one sentence something bad would happen, maybe not the end of the world that might be an exaggeration, but still bad, like Hitler bad.

You should really have a semicolon before "maybe not the end of the world" and a comma after, it would help your sentence enormously.
    You should have a full stop after 'after', not a comma.

Sentence fragment. See me after the lesson.
    "Sentence fragment." is not a complete sentence. You are not a '50s noir detective.

Or perhaps you are.
  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 13:30:17
    It was a good post, if you like eyestrain.
  • otto Moderator 13 Jun 2011 23:39:07 49,290 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So the thing that annoys me about the whole Ice & Fire saga thingy is not the way main characters get snuffed out at regular intervals (I like that), it's the way (bah just deleted a whole load of stuff here, it's too spoilery - meh)

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• mcmonkeyplc 13 Jun 2011 23:41:47 39,412 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well a bit like spooks then... :)

So far the spoilers have been too general to spoil anything I think. Please keep them that way.

I probably won't be the only one that's reading through this and watching at the same time that needs re-assurances about the kind of saga that we are getting ourselves so invested into.

800 pages per book IS an investment! :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• otto Moderator 13 Jun 2011 23:46:20 49,290 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just read it as long as you keep enjoying it, if you don't, then stop.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• mcmonkeyplc 13 Jun 2011 23:49:03 39,412 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    True enough.

• President_Weasel 14 Jun 2011 01:10:50 9,142 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I could use a full stop, a comma, a semicolon or a colon in the example above and it would still be perfectly cromulent. So there.

Otto, there's yet another thread somewhere which is specifically about the books rather than this book/TV comparison thread (which is recent and was only made because three people were being pissy about people who had read the book being in the HBO thread, and one of them made this as a ghetto for book discussion. I'd suggest going there and posting whatever spoilery discussion you wanted to post, as I think I might like to read it.

As for the HBO thread, I'll post there if I like, god damn it. However, I do think your Tywin spoiler was a bit pointlessly spoilery; why did you post it?
  • otto Moderator 14 Jun 2011 01:14:00 49,290 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Who, me? It was marked as a spoiler. As far as I'm concerned, if it's marked as a spoiler, no-one has any grounds for complaint.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Genji 14 Jun 2011 05:59:43 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As long as it's marked as a book spoiler, not an episode spoiler, then yeah. I think the confusion comes from people not knowing which is which, and inadvertently reading about things (eg. Tywin Lannister up shit creek) that won't happen in the TV series for at least three seasons.

But you didn't even say that much. I do think some people have gotten overly hysterical about "spoilers" so vague that they essentially mean nothing at all.

Still... better safe than sorry! :p
  • mcmonkeyplc 16 Jun 2011 17:24:28 39,412 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just finished the book! Awesome! Haven't read the preview of the Clash of Kings yet, but that's coming to me tomorrow! Can't wait!

• mcmonkeyplc 16 Aug 2011 13:17:28 39,412 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Getting to the end of Storm of swords book 1:

I'm starting to get the feeling that Robb is going to die soon :(

In fact I get that feeling everytime I read his name :S

Storm of swords book 2 arrives tomorrow. I wonder what tragedy awaits me at the end of book 1 tonight :'(

• Genji 16 Aug 2011 13:59:44 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't worry so much. Breaking a wedding pact isn't that bad.
  • mcmonkeyplc 16 Aug 2011 14:14:56 39,412 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's not what I'm worried about, it's the war and how it's going.

Like he himself says, he has won every battle, yet he is still losing the war

• Genji 16 Aug 2011 14:18:41 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah well, at least he's happy in his love life.
  • mcmonkeyplc 16 Aug 2011 14:30:16 39,412 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well that obviously means that's going to screw up too.

They should rename this series A song of fucking up Starks and fire.

• Genji 16 Aug 2011 14:33:09 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wouldn't have it any other way. There wouldn't be any drama if you knew exactly what was going to happen!

Hope you enjoy part 2! The third book is probably my favorite of the series so far.
  • mcmonkeyplc 16 Aug 2011 14:39:08 39,412 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well so far it's the only one where something good has actually happened!

Dany freeing the unsullied

• brokenkey 29 Aug 2011 18:07:33 6,975 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just finished reading the first book whilst on holiday. Can someone wiser than me answer the following questions?
    1. Was there any relevance in Robert saying that he'd arranged that Lysa's son was going off to be the ward of Tywin (page 41), but Lysa and someone else both insisting to the Starks that the child was going off to be the ward of Stannis?

2. Who were the two people Arya saw in dungeons of Red Keep on page 333, discussing Ned's progress towards discovering the secret of Robert's children?

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Poorandugly 29 Aug 2011 22:46:51 553 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Just finished reading the first book whilst on holiday. Can someone wiser than me answer the following questions?
    1. Was there any relevance in Robert saying that he'd arranged that Lysa's son was going off to be the ward of Tywin (page 41), but Lysa and someone else both insisting to the Starks that the child was going off to be the ward of Stannis?

2. Who were the two people Arya saw in dungeons of Red Keep on page 333, discussing Ned's progress towards discovering the secret of Robert's children?

I'm sure someone wiser than me can give the correct answer, but:
    1. Can't remember the part, but at a guess he'd be killed if he went to Tywin. (But Robert doesn't know that.)

2. Varys (the spider) was one of them. The other I don't know.
  • Genji 31 Aug 2011 02:32:23 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    2. Varys (the spider) was one of them. The other I don't know.
    I didn't know who that was until I saw the TV series, where it was revealed to be Maester Illyrio - the guy that was helping Viserys arrange the marriage of Dany to Drogo. He seems to have an interest in returning the Targaryens to the throne, and is friends with Varys.
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 Nov 2011 14:31:33 39,412 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A quarter of the way through dances with dragons. Much better than a feast of crows although it seems to me that the story is in danger of being spread to far. So many new angles!

Can't wait to finish it. I wonder what stark is going to snuff it in this.

• Khanivor 25 Nov 2011 15:18:32 40,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I'm coming on to halfway to the end of that book too. Then I get to join the host of people hoping Martin finishes the series before we all die.

Does anyone else find themselves talking/thinking in the manner of speech of the book after a good reading session?
  • Deckard1 25 Nov 2011 15:53:55 27,604 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted

Hush you ponce

• Tuffty 4 Jan 2012 12:41:05 1,534 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Guess this is a better place to discuss this without fear of spoiling the thread in the TV forum.

I read on a production blog that they filmed the last shot in Belfast recently before moving off to film in Iceland. They had said what the last shot was and by reading what characters were in it, those who read the book will know straight away what moment in the story they're referring to. For those wondering, it's of Bran, Rickon, Hodor and Osha standing and looking over the landscape, which will obviously have a ransacked Winterfell added later.

I do have a concern though, in that Jojen & Meera Reed weren't listed. And to add to that, there has been no casting news regarding either of them so I wonder if they've been ommitted entirely. Would be a shame as they both have an important role in Bran's development. Maybe that casting information hasn't come out yet. Or they may decide to give more focus on Osha and kind of merge both those characters to her. They've already made her a bit of a mysterious character in the first series and it removes the headache of adding too many characters to the TV show.

Edited by Tuffty at 12:43:57 04-01-2012
  • Salaman 4 Jan 2012 15:19:39 18,953 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Does anyone else find themselves talking/thinking in the manner of speech of the book after a good reading session?
    Yes. Absolutely.

Is the last book out on paperback yet?
    I bought a box set in August and plowed through all 4 (well 5, with the part1 and 2 in there) books in the following weeks. The last book was only available in hard cover though. :-(
    So I decided to wait a bit.

Oow. Same thing goes for the new Pratchett one actually.
    Maybe I should go and have a look at some book-site. Bollocks, paperback not yet available. October 2012 for Dance with dragons and June 2012 for Snuff. :-(

/fingers crossed

Edited by Salaman at 15:42:48 04-01-2012
  • Dougs 4 Jan 2012 17:08:34 67,027 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But Jojen and Meera Are integral, not least in developing.Bran's 3rd eye, but also because of where they come from.

I've just started book 4. Thought 2 was a bit slow but rattled through the 3rd.
  • MrDigital 4 Jan 2012 20:56:22 1,866 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, the third is fantastic, probably the best in my opinion.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Page

of 61 First / Last