A Thread of Ice and Fire Page 7

• Page

of 62 First / Last

• PazJohnMitch 5 Jun 2012 23:05:08 8,066 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saturn_Ascends wrote:
    It was Mandon Moore who tried to kill Tyrion in the books. Yes, I had to look this up. Too many names.

Blount and Swann aren't Kettleblacks.
    The 3 kettlebacks all begin with Os.

Osfryd, Osney and Osmund.
  • Mr-Brett 5 Jun 2012 23:46:08 12,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So it's pretty much certain that the swamp kids won't be turning up in the TV series then? They do talk a lot of bollocks but it's still a shame.

I was thinking that it must be tricky to decide who to cut given that the story isn't finished yet and one of the cut characters could become integral later on, meaning they'd have to insert them at some other point, could get messy.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• PazJohnMitch 6 Jun 2012 00:12:22 8,066 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    So it's pretty much certain that the swamp kids won't be turning up in the TV series then? They do talk a lot of bollocks but it's still a shame.

I was thinking that it must be tricky to decide who to cut given that the story isn't finished yet and one of the cut characters could become integral later on, meaning they'd have to insert them at some other point, could get messy.
    The book writer is heavily involved in the TV series though. I am sure he would have mentioned to the TV team if a character needed to be included.

They could also do a tactical insertion. I am sure Podrick Payne is in the book a long time before he was introduced into the series. In the TV series Tyrion mentions him at the start of the penultimate episode and he then saves his life at the end of the very same episode.

The books themselves chuck in new characters frequently. Sometimes just to kill them off a few chapters later.
  • Scimarad 6 Jun 2012 09:14:09 8,549 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought they were turning next season but I could be wrong.
  • Mr-Brett 6 Jun 2012 10:05:30 12,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good points PazJohnMitch. Scimarad, if they're turning up next season then it'll be interesting to see how they explain that (if indeed they do at all). The swamp kids being from the southern part of the North with Bran and Rickon heading in the opposite direction.

• Salaman 6 Jun 2012 11:27:02 19,069 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Same as in the books no? There they show up at winterfell ... euh ... at some point. I forget why. Surely they can show up on the road or in the wilderness heading north for the same reasons.
    Green dreams or runnign away from all the fighting down south.

I kind of want to re-read the books as I plowed through them the first time and glossed over so many of the details. I've given them to a friend to read though. :-/
  • Mr-Brett 6 Jun 2012 12:13:55 12,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I guess mystical nonsense covers just about every eventuality...

• Fydria 6 Jun 2012 16:31:38 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Mr-Brett They will be in season 3.
  • ResidentKnievel 8 Jul 2012 22:11:24 6,201 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just finished the books, the next two series should be awesome!

But after that, I hope the TV producers take the show in a different direction, like maybe making Dany not stick around in Mereen, but instead having her smash all of Slaver's bay. They'll have to cut back a lot of the tangents, too.

Also, I thought Jon comes across a lot better in the books. In the second TV series he's portrayed as a thick oaf who's decent with a sword, he winds up Craster, has to be constantly lectured by Mormont and Halfhand, lets a prisoner escape, (Halfhand doesn't want that to happen in the TV series, in the books he doesn't mind) which leads to his companions being killed.
    He doesn't come across as someone that could believably become the Lord Commander, whereas in the books he does.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 22:13:39 08-07-2012

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Mr-Brett 8 Jul 2012 22:51:33 12,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't notice the title change before, is that new?

• Metalfish 8 Jul 2012 23:13:51 8,819 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just read the first one. Yeah. So I'll come back when I've read the others.

Yeah.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Jul 2012 03:55:35 7,403 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyone else think the Dany changes to the TV version were for the better? I seem to remember much faffing about in the desert when I read the books.
  • mcmonkeyplc 9 Jul 2012 08:06:42 39,457 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The faffing is still to come.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Metalfish 9 Jul 2012 10:06:20 8,819 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's been an entirety of faffing about on the steppes in book one. I guess George RaRgoesthedino Martin needed them to be a constant threat whilst not actually doing anything.

/Runs before, you know spoilers.
  • Tuffty 13 Jul 2012 23:29:58 1,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some new faces for S3. The Reeds! Brynden! Missandei! Gareth from The Office!

No Ramsey...yet.
  • ilmaestro 13 Jul 2012 23:33:32 32,453 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have fewer issues with them (visually) than I did with the new cast members for Season 2, overall.

• PazJohnMitch 14 Jul 2012 08:28:26 8,066 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ramsey does not properly appear until the fifth book though. (Given they did not seem to include him in the second season).

Shireen is a confusing addition. Stannis denied her existence in season 2.

I like Dennis Pennis as Thoros.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Jul 2012 08:38:02 7,403 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Ramsey does not properly appear until the fifth book though. (Given they did not seem to include him in the second season).
    Isn't he in the second book, but pretending to be someone else? I forget whether that's the second or third book.
  • Tuffty 14 Jul 2012 09:22:57 1,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's the second. I believe his forces are under attack by Ser Rodrik in which he disguises himself as Reek and escapes. He then meets up with Theon and stays with him for a time still as Reek before Theon asks him to go out and get help. It's at the end of the book when he comes back and betrays Theon.

I dunno, but to me it's they either give Ramsey some airtime now, or just have Theon not show up for the next 2-3 seasons.
  • PazJohnMitch 14 Jul 2012 09:34:00 8,066 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Given that Winterfell is already destroyed at the end of Season 2 it looks like Ramsey was simply not included. (Unless in the TV series he is the guy that Theon met on Pyke who suggested the Bran and Rickon ploy to Theon).
  • Tuffty 14 Jul 2012 19:53:12 1,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah that wasn't Ramsey, that was just another Iron islander. I think it makes more sense in the TV show than in the book because as an Iron islander, you'd think Theon is more willing to listen to him rather than seemingly some random servant.
  • L0cky 14 Jul 2012 20:47:07 1,530 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The cast choices look good. Dennis Pennis seems surprisingly well suited to Thoros.

The only one "wrong" is Missandei. I guess Nathalie Emmanuel won't be playing a 10 year old girl.

• Tuffty 17 Jul 2012 22:57:11 1,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^ Chance for more boobs though innit?

Heard an interesting theory of the letter that Jon got from Ramsey in ADWD. Theory is that it was written from Mance Rayder instead. After his spearwives are killed he scrawls a message sending it to the wall writing it so that it will inflame Jon, the Queens men and the Wildlings drawing them all to march south which is what he wants.
  • L0cky 17 Jul 2012 23:55:43 1,530 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Could be, Jon was wondering why he hadn't heard from Mance.

When's the next book anyway?
  • Megapocalypse 29 Oct 2012 14:31:08 5,427 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finished After the Feast last night and am now lost for what to read next. Spent the last 18 months reading this series and now actually having to wait for the next one makes me sad. When's it out? :eek:
  • Fydria 29 Oct 2012 14:43:50 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It will be out in the next 1-5 years.

But seriously I'm hoping next year sometime perhaps?

Edited by Fydria at 14:44:24 29-10-2012
  • Deleted user 29 October 2012 14:53:27
    Megapocalypse wrote:When's it out? :eek:
    GRRM recently said that it'll be out in 2014 but also that he's terrible at keeping dates.
  • mcmonkeyplc 29 Oct 2012 14:57:45 39,457 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He's never going to finish it.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• LeoliansBro 29 Oct 2012 15:40:44 44,248 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He put off the last book for five years, the release date slipping 6 months at a time all the way...

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Alastair 20 Feb 2013 16:08:33 15,762 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, I am approx halfway through the existing books...
    Last bit I read was Jon Snow taking command of the Wall to repel the attack by Mance Ryder, and then discovering that Noye was killed by the king of the giants in the tunnel.
    I guess I'm still on the 'interesting' books - I've been reading this pretty solidly since the beginning of December (I'm obviously a much slower reader than Genji!) and am absolutely loving it. Just a bit concerned about reading too many spoilers in this thread.
    But hey, the Red Wedding - shit, I wasn't expecting that!
    Nor indeed the events at King's Landing on the first day of the new century!
  • Page

of 62 First / Last