Raspberry Pi Page 8

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Next
  • mal 15 Oct 2012 15:04:37 22,334 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I guess you can use a wireless keyboard, or one of those wireless controllers that come with a USB nubbin like the logitech ones.

Chopsen wrote:
    Guess I could try archlinux, but cba with learning another distro, and it sounds like *such* hard work.
    At least with Arch stuff you 'install' gets compiled for the right ARM version, rather than the ARMv4 ABI like ARM Debian does. Apparently the later ARM instruction sets add some stuff that really does speed a lot of stuff up.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• localnotail 15 Oct 2012 18:15:13 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    For those of you using your Pi to run XBMC, how exactly do you control/navigate? Does XBMC Commander for the iPhone/iPad support connections to the Pi version?
    I've got XBMC Remote on my HTC. Also can use mouse & keyboard. Can get an adapter to use original XBOX remote I think.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• woodnotes 16 Oct 2012 22:07:34 4,921 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Love the Pi so much - the possibilities are literally endless.

I've made an automatic downloader with one now that just sits connected to my NAS and runs Sabnzbd/SB/CP etc. Works like a charm, and saves me having to turn on my PC to check for new releases and also for my PC having to do the work in the background whilst I'm using it for something critical.

Now just making another Pi in to a media centre with Raspmbc. Also looking to get another Pi as a vintage games box with Mess/Mame. I know it's not going to play all games at full speed but it'll certainly be fun to give it a go.

Seeing so many other projects on the web spanning all kinds of ideas and it's just amazing what you can do with the little PCB. Ah well it certainly fulfills the geek in me. It's the new Commodore 64 :)
  • woodnotes 16 Oct 2012 22:10:59 4,921 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kafeen wrote:
    Anyone else for a lego case?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1515
    http://www.thedailybrick.co.uk/lego-sets/custom/lego-custom-raspberry-pi-case.html

Really strange as I randomly had a thought about a lego case for it this morning. Then I googled it and realised many others have had the same idea. And then I see this post! It's got to be done, off to the Lego shop this weekend me thinks :)
  • YoshiMcTaggis 31 Oct 2012 19:21:17 2,782 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimoroni/picade-the-arcade-cabinet-kit-for-your-raspberry-p

YES PLEASE
  • DaM 10 Nov 2012 16:07:23 12,897 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just ordered one for Santa to give to my boy. I was thinking about teaching programming via Scratch, but have just realised it would make a nice MAME machine linked to an old LCD with a USB arcade joystick....

I can see my failure to learn programming on the Spectrum repeating itself....
  • Sockbag 15 Nov 2012 17:42:19 83 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got mine yesterday, got Wheezy up and running on a 16GB Medion SDHC card (a tenner from Aldi) and I'm using an HTC phone charger to power it.

It's just beautiful.
  • DaM 15 Nov 2012 18:34:28 12,897 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What are you going to do with it?
    Is it rubbish at rendering websites? I read that somewhere, I was thinking of using one to power an orders status board at work using a old 40" flat screen TV. Clearly this would give me a reason to upgrade my games TV, and be good fun at work!
  • Sockbag 17 Nov 2012 12:06:21 83 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I like to program (Python) and I'm keen to have a play with the GPIO.

I'm probably going to knock up a family friendly general knowledge Quiz game using a Wiimote for inputs. You know, for the kids, for Christmas. Imagine the delight on their faces!

So, to answer your question - I dunno.

EDIT: Oh, and the web browsing is a bit lacklustre tbh.

Edited by Sockbag at 12:14:32 17-11-2012
  • Deleted user 24 December 2012 03:31:43
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Ginger wrote:
    time to put it on a shelf and forget about it (like my first one which got delivered a couple of weeks ago)
    Got mine.
    Took it out of it's box and looked at it.
    Put it back in it's box.
    That's it.

Brilliant piece of kit! Recommend one to anyone.
    Hahaha :D
  • OptimusPube 25 Dec 2012 23:17:44 2,907 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• swede 1 Jan 2013 20:42:02 391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wifey got me one for Christmas with a pibow case and dinky little Rii wireless kb/trackpad.

Messed around installing some things on Raspian. Such as Quake 3, open office and Scummvm. Really nice.

Also played around with XBMC. This works really well and the remote control app is cool.

It's can be a little overwhelming, but the best thing to do is not to panic or get frustrated, the answer will be out there and it's so quick and easy to 'reset' to a base image.

I am a professional coder, but haven't used Linux before really. I used to code on a UNIX terminal about 20 years ago(!) though, so this ancient knowledge has helped a bit.

I can't wait to see how the clever people really push it.
  • DaM 18 Jan 2013 19:50:21 12,897 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finally got ours plugged in last night, and relieved that it works. Son lost interest after 30 seconds as I was explaining the difference between a command line interface and a GUI for some reason. Wireless dongle hasn't arrived yet, but found this....Chameleon, a multi-emu launcher. The song on the video brought back some memories /shudder/.

It's going to be another "educational" machine like the Spectrum :) Actually you could have different launchers on different SD cards a games one, programming one, school one etc. Maybe the simple arcade games will give him some ideas for games that I'm sure I could help him program in Scratch (never actually coded a game, but I know the principles...).

Now to find my MAME romset...it's on DVD somewhere....

Edited by DaM at 19:50:59 18-01-2013
  • DaM 18 Jan 2013 22:50:43 12,897 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've figured out I can Bluetooth a sixaxis to it, access MAME roms on the NAS and plug it into the living room TV to make a massive annoying arcade game, leading my wife to realise that the MAME cabinet in the playroom will be relatively unobtrusive :)
  • SuperBas 8 Feb 2013 07:28:51 1,450 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just ordered one of these, to make a low powered torrent box I can leave on for long times. However, I would also like to learn more about Linux. I know the RP runs on a version of Debian, do you guys know of a book on Debian that would help me understand the workings of the RP?

Edited by SuperBas at 07:30:53 08-02-2013
  • warlockuk 8 Feb 2013 09:25:20 19,133 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just read up on Debian.org - it'll have all the info on terminal etc you need.

If you're installing squeeze or something just install ssh on it and then you can ssh into it from another machine and do all the configuration without fiddling about.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Chopsen 8 Feb 2013 10:24:39 15,713 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you want a proper book this is quite good:

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/How_Linux_Works.html?id=rLpQAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

It is quite old, but then debian is quite an old-fashioned distro so it works ok.
  • lucky_jim 23 Dec 2013 18:17:21 5,255 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thinking of getting a Pi to use as cheap flexible XBMC box. What's the real-world performance of the model B for that? Can it manage 1080p?
  • HoriZon 23 Dec 2013 19:10:49 13,496 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    Thinking of getting a Pi to use as cheap flexible XBMC box. What's the real-world performance of the model B for that? Can it manage 1080p?
    Been doing just that for months now and it's fine it plays 1080p just fine too.

Get RaspBMC and you are done.

As for controlling it I use the TVs own remote as it does something fancy with HDMI? Or use a phone app.

Edited by HoriZon at 19:12:55 23-12-2013

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• lucky_jim 23 Dec 2013 20:06:41 5,255 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Great, sounds like just what I need. Thanks!
  • Deleted user 23 December 2013 20:11:10
    I keep hearing about this thing. Is it worth picking up? Sounds interesting...
  • RobAnybody 23 Dec 2013 20:18:54 881 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Depends what you want to do with it. Its applications and extremely varied and there is a great deal that it is capable of.

Best starting place is possibly here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

and their forum:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/
  • K-Project 23 Dec 2013 20:26:47 358 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey, not wishing to hijack the current discussion, but has anyone here tried RetroPie on their Raspberry Pi? Is it tricky to set up, and more improtantly, does it work well when you have?

My RPi is currently hiding somewhere in a box packed away because we had builders in not too long ago, but I'd really fancy turning it into a classic emulator when I find it.
  • Deleted user 23 December 2013 20:33:41
    RobAnybody wrote:
    Depends what you want to do with it. Its applications and extremely varied and there is a great deal that it is capable of.

Best starting place is possibly here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

and their forum:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/
    Thanks.

I've dabbled in a bit of coding, so I am interested in learning something like python. Sounds like it could be used as a cheap dlna or for home entertainment too. Considering the price of stuff like Roku's etc, this could be pretty good.

Edited by SG59 at 20:35:11 23-12-2013
  • phycus 24 Dec 2013 05:47:54 298 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I run RasPlex on the Pi and Plex Server on my laptop to stream movies from, you can then get plex remote for android (not sure about iOS or windows phones).   Connect everything via your home network and its pretty straightforward.  Interface is pretty slick and it fetches movie descriptions and thumbnails.

Only problem I found was with my USB wireless network adapter and my virgin super hub router causing streaming issues, £5 network cable got me round that issue.
  • mrpon 24 Dec 2013 09:55:53 28,427 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've heard Plex works quite well on a Chromecast as well.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• ozthegweat 30 Apr 2014 15:54:28 165 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just bought one myself, being inspired by this: one-way mirror + LCD monitor + Raspberry Pi + wood/glue/drill/Binford 3000 = Magic Mirror
  • Salaman 30 Apr 2014 16:15:14 18,861 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bought one of them kits with the raspberry pie and a casing for it. Need to read up on what to do with it now.
  • TheSaint 30 Apr 2014 17:19:33 14,199 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That mirror is very cool.
  • ozthegweat 30 Apr 2014 17:41:49 165 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Salaman I'm in the same boat. Just google "ideas raspberry pi" and start from the top. It'll take a while ;)
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Next