• Page

of 92 First / Last

• TechnoHippy 2 Apr 2014 21:32:39 14,707 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    The Booth at the End (Season 1)

10/10

I love the philosophical aspect of it, and the concise nature of the story-telling. Xander Berkeley is also excellent as 'The Man'.

Will most likely blast through Season 2 tonight. I hope it is as good.
    I liked this, unfortunately it's over all too quickly.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• RyanDS 2 Apr 2014 21:37:58 9,257 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dairyfree wrote:
    Is it lol funny or just a few smiles every now and again?
    First season is shit. But seriously stay with it and from season two onwards it becomes amazing. Unfortunately you do need the background of the very short first season.
  • Kostabi 2 Apr 2014 21:48:15 4,910 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Betas - 7/10

First half had me genuinely laughing out loud but the second batch of episodes sprinkle the jokes a little thinner, which is a real shame.
  • vijay_UK 2 Apr 2014 22:27:30 2,110 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    Betas - 7/10

First half had me genuinely laughing out loud but the second batch of episodes sprinkle the jokes a little thinner, which is a real shame.
    Hey, someone else who's seen it! The beardy man is the star of the show.
  • TechnoHippy 3 Apr 2014 20:51:35 14,707 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Walking Dead - Season 4

Probably my favourite season so far, the separate threads helped each character shine in their own respects. The atmosphere was darker and just clicked for me. And the ending bodes well for another season.

9/10

• glaeken 3 Apr 2014 22:58:59 11,143 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fleming - 7/10 - Sky series on Ian Fleming and his war time activities. It's also the story of the gestation of Bond and there are plenty of nods to the Bond character and how Fleming might have come up with him. Pretty enjoyably overall though I am sure they took a lot of liberties with the facts. I don't think the real Fleming ever got as hands on as is shown.

Edited by glaeken at 22:59:41 03-04-2014
  • Dairyfree 3 Apr 2014 23:55:16 1,154 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I've acquired the first two seasons of Parks & Recreation. I watched Community due to this thread and loved it so I'm hoping for the same with this.

I've seen It's always Sunny In Philadelphia recommended in here too so I might try that after.

Edited by Dairyfree at 23:55:33 03-04-2014
  • GuiltySpark 4 Apr 2014 01:12:51 6,363 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's Always Sunny and Parks are possibly the furthest possible tones away from each other I've seen, in the same genre at least. You sure as hell won't be finding any lovable goofy characters in It's Always Sunny.

Get bent.

• Chopsen 4 Apr 2014 08:44:06 15,870 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Charilie's kind of adorable.
  • Dairyfree 4 Apr 2014 09:41:42 1,154 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I'd be happy with the shift in tone to a darker comedy if that's the case.
  • boo 4 Apr 2014 10:07:04 11,752 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Behind the times I know, but just completed series 2 of Eureka.
    I really like it - it's settled down to a bit more meta-story and a the 'problem of the week' has become part of the story rather than all of the story.

Just started series 3 - don't like the 'fixer' woman, but I guess that's the whole point.

However, I have heard bad things about series 4...

Just Another Lego Blog

• Physically_Insane 4 Apr 2014 10:26:53 8,765 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Portlandia S1.

Didn't know a thing about it before I started watching and I was pleasantly surprised. It reminded me of Monty Python in places. Highly recommended.
  • TarickStonefire 4 Apr 2014 13:26:05 3,045 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Physically_Insane wrote:
    Portlandia S1.

Didn't know a thing about it before I started watching and I was pleasantly surprised. It reminded me of Monty Python in places. Highly recommended.
    It gets better and better every series, too :)

AY-OH, RIVER!

Not sure if you've seen that one yet...

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 4 Apr 2014 13:28:24 3,045 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dairyfree wrote:
    I've acquired the first two seasons of Parks & Recreation. I watched Community due to this thread and loved it so I'm hoping for the same with this.

I've seen It's always Sunny In Philadelphia recommended in here too so I might try that after.
    First season of P&R will *probably* make you turn off in disappointment - I know we did, after pretty much the first episode. "This is just a shitty rip off of The Office!" I said.

It gets so, so much better from season 2 onwards, though season 1 isn't actually *bad* as such, just a bit weak. CHaracters are got rid of and it all tightens up and becomes wonderful :)

Interestingly I tried COmmunity several times, and both times couldn't make it to the end of Season 1. It just thinks it's so clever, or that's the vibe that oozes from it. Also, fuck Chevy Chase.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TechnoHippy 6 Apr 2014 17:44:14 14,707 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    West Wing - Season 1

I loved watching through these again, it's some of the finest television ever made. The writing is superb and watching the characters go about their business is pure joy. To to top it all I think I've fallen a little bit in love with CJ :-) It ends on one hell of a cliffhanger as well.

10/10

• faux_carnation 6 Apr 2014 18:07:15 9,265 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Physically_Insane wrote:
    Portlandia S1.

I got through about 3 episodes before I gave up. It seems really mean spirited and vindictive to me without ever earning the right to be like that.
  • CosmicFuzz 6 Apr 2014 18:07:55 23,869 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I really do love the West Wing. Currently rewatching season 2 of Newsroom and its also fantastic.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• TechnoHippy 6 Apr 2014 18:28:38 14,707 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not seen that yet.

• beastmaster 6 Apr 2014 18:32:55 11,330 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    House of Cards (US version) Season 2 - 8/10

After a rather stunning first episode, I was hooked. It's pretty much more of the same, which is no bad things. A number of strands in the plot were left unexplored but I expect they'll return in season 3.

Create characters, great cast and looking forward to the next one.

Next up, Game of Thrones Season 1. Let's see what all the fuss is about.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• glaeken 7 Apr 2014 09:53:11 11,143 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Walking dead series 4 - 7/10 - I liked it a lot over previous ones once we got past the prison battle bit where the inept governor once again showed his awesome powers of stupidity. Once it got to the on the road bits with the different groups it got much more enjoyable apart from characters being surprised by noisy stealth zombies which is still annoying. Overall it's much better to follow them travelling rather than have them stuck in one place though. Of course I am sure they will be stuck in once place now for the whole of season 5.

Edited by glaeken at 09:54:31 07-04-2014
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Apr 2014 11:08:35 23,869 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Not seen that yet.
    If you like West Wing you'll like Newsroom. Similar super ironic dialogue and far too many intelligent people packed in the one building. I love it.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• vijay_UK 7 Apr 2014 11:41:25 2,110 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Not seen that yet.
    If you like West Wing you'll like Newsroom. Similar super ironic dialogue and far too many intelligent people packed in the one building. I love it.
    Agreed, The Newsroom is brilliant.
  • glaeken 7 Apr 2014 11:46:56 11,143 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did not get the brilliance of the Newsroom. Every character talks at about 500 Mph and they all talk like they are the same person. It's also very preachy. I made it through the first series but decided that was enough.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Apr 2014 11:49:13 23,869 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I can see why people would be put off by it. I enjoyed the first season quite a bit, although you have to ignore the occasional GOD BLESS AMERICA. Season 2 is really fantastic though, I enjoyed it loads more.

You're bang on with it's problems though. Very, very similar to West Wing, although you could get away with it because a) they were actually meant to be super smart and b) they were serving the president.

• TechnoHippy 7 Apr 2014 20:11:20 14,707 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll check it out.

• Short-Round 8 Apr 2014 01:01:55 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mad Dogs (all 4 series) 9/10

Really enjoyed this, even though it's not really background material (I got lost a few times while not paying attention). I also appreciated that each series had a sensible number of episodes, as do most British shows. What pisses me off about American shows is they're mostly 20+ eps, so require a significant investment of time.

The King of Queens (all 9 series) 10/10

This is my comfort background show. I love it, think I've gone through the whole thing about a dozen times over the years.
  • fletch7100 8 Apr 2014 10:40:51 7,227 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Barquo

Only just start watching this, it's basically a French love child with The Shield/The Wire as it's parents. Same writer as Mersine and Prophet

Just a heads up in case anyone else wants to check it out
  • Mola_Ram 9 Apr 2014 15:38:10 7,235 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Justified - Season 5

There was too much stuff going on, and the whole season was way more complicated than it needed to be. The performances were still great as always, as was the writing. And I always welcome more helpings of Dewey Crowe, the world's most lovable neo-Nazi. But it wasn't Justified at its best.

So far the best seasons have been 2 and 4. Here's hoping it follows an even-number pattern. Even at its worst, it's still one of the better shows on TV, and deserves to finish on a high note.

7.8/10
  • richardiox 9 Apr 2014 16:43:23 5,581 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Short-Round wrote:
    Mad Dogs (all 4 series) 9/10

Really enjoyed this, even though it's not really background material (I got lost a few times while not paying attention). I also appreciated that each series had a sensible number of episodes, as do most British shows. What pisses me off about American shows is they're mostly 20+ eps, so require a significant investment of time.

The King of Queens (all 9 series) 10/10

This is my comfort background show. I love it, think I've gone through the whole thing about a dozen times over the years.

I've just finished re watching the complete King of Queens. Fantastic and underrated feel good comedy.
  • beastmaster 9 Apr 2014 21:49:26 11,330 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Game of Thrones Series 1- 10/10

Holy fuck! What a brilliant series and what a closing shot. I suppose going of this I can assume no major character is safe from the chop.

Tyrion Lannister is easily my favorite character, although I really like some of the minor characters as well. I hope the 'dance instructor' comes back. His scenes kind of reminded me of The Princess Bride for some reason.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Page

of 92 First / Last