Dragon's Dogma Page 114

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• Triggerhappytel 30 Apr 2013 00:28:16 2,664 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apparently if you use pawns which are much higher level than you, you level up slower as a result. I can't personally confirm that, but that's what I've read.

Anyway, I thought I'd run through a couple of side missions to get back into the swing of it, and got distracted exploring and ended up in Soulflayer Canyon. That's what I love about this game so much; that exploring is just so fun and so interesting, and night can easily creep up on you if you're out in the wild and not keeping an eye on the sun and the shadows. My characters are also higher level than I thought - both have just reached level 39. I'll probably do a few more levels and then head back to take on the Drake in Devil's Grove soon.

Edited by Triggerhappytel at 00:31:20 30-04-2013
  • Rodriguez 30 Apr 2013 01:08:00 1,080 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pffft ha ha! Just got a top level 3rd tier Bitterblack archistaff whose description has this cracker of a line: "Magick-rich blood courses along its veined shaft." It's a crooked shaft too...!

Oh christ, I'm close to pissing myself with laughter here :D! Good night.
  • Shikasama 30 Apr 2013 07:41:32 6,277 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    I suppose it doesn't matter, though. The game is a bit too easy as it is. Maybe I should stop being lazy and drop Shikasama's overpowered level 129 warrior...
    He's now an overpowered level 136 Warrior :)

I really am dreading te ide of having to swap to warrior/fighter to dragonforge stuff for him. I don't think I can stomach doing the Ur Dragon as it s I'll just have to grind littler dragons.

The final bosses of the game (Ur-Dragon, Death, Bitterblack Boss) really aren't very friendly to yourwarriors/fighters.
  • shamblemonkee 30 Apr 2013 09:58:56 14,040 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bah, the best loot i've had form bitterblack so far is a measly virtuoso ring
  • L_Franko Moderator 30 Apr 2013 10:02:18 9,689 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Started this last night but only managed a short session, I finished up just after cutting one of the heads of that bigass snake.
    I'm thinking I might start again though as I wanted my character to be a pathfinder type guy and I hit warrior by mistake while reaching for a drink. I continued a little just to see what the game was like though.

From what I've seen so far I like it, it looks nice (I installed the texture pack upgrade) and seems to play well. Very much looking forward to getting into this game properly and seeing what other beasties it has to throw at me.

One question, in the early stage that I ended up in last night is there any side quests in your home village worth doing or shall I just continue with the main quest after cutting a head off that giant snake?
    I really want to get the game into full swing but if there is something worth doing at this point it would be good to know.
  • shamblemonkee 30 Apr 2013 10:07:24 14,040 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @L_Franko once you get to the capital you'll be able to change vocations (class) fairly soon so it may be worth persevering.

It's actually beneficial to progress in multiple vocations as you'll unlock extra perks that carry between them - in that way you can bolster sya defence or stmaina

Edited by shamblemonkee at 10:10:54 30-04-2013
  • L_Franko Moderator 30 Apr 2013 10:14:43 9,689 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah, excellent I shall continue as I am for now then.
  • RedSparrows 30 Apr 2013 10:42:50 20,757 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    yeah, the vocations are interesting: the more levels you gain as, say, an archer, the better your basic stats will become for archer-type characters. But if you switch to a mage, you will have the wrong kind of stats, but can then unlock some useful trick in magecraft that will then, once you go back to being an archer, might open up Magic Archery etc.

You do need to have a pretty firm idea of what kind of class you want to be, but you can move through other ranks to get bonuses to then use on your 'main'. This is all relevant if you want to min-max, or at least a little bit of that.
  • quadfather 30 Apr 2013 10:49:53 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dying to get back on this after reading the comments, but I'm in the middle of moving house, argh

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• fletch7100 30 Apr 2013 11:09:18 6,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    bah, the best loot i've had form bitterblack so far is a measly virtuoso ring
    Unlocked a skill which I guess works once a day is if an enemy hit leaves you with 0 health chance it will leave you with 1 HP instead. Has come in handy when getting one hit killed then running off with 1 HP. my pawn has the skill as well so hope it works as well for him

Got it from a cursed item, don't know if its a common find
  • Shikasama 30 Apr 2013 11:12:05 6,277 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got shite all from my first run in Bitterblack until the final chests after the end boss, so don't feel too bad!
  • Tryhard 30 Apr 2013 11:25:52 3,485 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    Started this last night but only managed a short session, I finished up just after cutting one of the heads of that bigass snake.
    Just so you know that is not a real fight but a setup fight,virtually a cutscene you can wave your weapon at.
  • L_Franko Moderator 30 Apr 2013 11:30:18 9,689 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wasn't expecting to never see that bugger again and I did seem to deal with it rather easily. Pretty sure I know where it might pop up again so I shall be ready for it tonight.

Edited by L_Franko at 11:30:31 30-04-2013
  • shamblemonkee 30 Apr 2013 11:46:07 14,040 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @fletch7100 I have that skill too but haven't tried it out, i also assumed there was an internal cooldown on it but don't remember seeing what the paramter was.
  • Rodriguez 30 Apr 2013 14:29:52 1,080 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    @fletch7100 I have that skill too but haven't tried it out, i also assumed there was an internal cooldown on it but don't remember seeing what the paramter was.
    I've found that skill too! But I have also acquired a different new skill that rapidly speeds up the healing process when standing near an anodyne healing spell or healing spring. My health is zipping up now, it's very useful!

Shikasama wrote:
    I really am dreading te ide of having to swap to warrior/fighter to dragonforge stuff for him. I don't think I can stomach doing the Ur Dragon as it s I'll just have to grind littler dragons.

The final bosses of the game (Ur-Dragon, Death, Bitterblack Boss) really aren't very friendly to yourwarriors/fighters.
    You don't really need the Ur Dragon Shika, I got three lots of my equipment DF'd last night by beating a Cursed Dragon in Bitterblack. I only had Kyrk and Orenda for that fight too as my other pawns had been previously thrown off a cliff by a Stone Golem :-(

Speaking of the Cursed Dragon, I'm now in love with Great Cannon skill again. I've found that if you cast it in its pure form (without any elemental enchantments - just the pure white energy orbs) it does loads of damage to them! Lay down 3 orbs, Tusk Toss into them and boom, shit loads of magical projectiles firing towards the enemy!

BTW, Bokur looks pretty beastly now, that new weapon you've acquired is truly the hammer of hammers, wonder if he's any good at DIY :p? Last night I found and equipped a new ring to Orenda too that has rather awesomely boosted two of her spells above the original max skill levels - she now is able to cast Great Anodyne and Great Frigor!
  • Restart 30 Apr 2013 18:08:20 4,678 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I just completed the game and decided to go back into the depths to use my Moonbeam Stones. Bad idea. I was immediately greeted by the most ridiculous collection of monsters I've ever seen.
  • fletch7100 30 Apr 2013 19:11:40 6,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Think I may venture back into Bitterblack Isle tonight :)
  • Shikasama 30 Apr 2013 19:26:48 6,277 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah Orenda can be nasty when she lets loose and uses her damage spells.

I recently grabbed a sorceror pawn that had High Fulmination and jesus christ...nsty shit. It tore apart a gore cylcops.

And yeah, I'm definitley going the other dragon route ratehr than the Ur Dragon because fuck that. On that note, aovid resetting Bokur over the next few days Bbecause I'll be vocation hopping quite a bit
  • Rodriguez 30 Apr 2013 21:22:09 1,080 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just a quick heads up, I've changed Orenda to a Sorcerer for a short time as my main is taking on Mage duties to get her equipment Dragonforged.

I don't think she'll change occupation for other users unless I enter the rift, but have mentioned it just in case!
  • Shikasama 30 Apr 2013 22:03:43 6,277 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah Rod I've just done that, dragonforged Bokur's equipment and now he is..well, is it bad that I'm jealous of my pawn? He doesn't have Bitterblack sword yet which is slightly irritating but he has a DF2 Ascalon to use in the meantime!

I really couldn't decide between the immortal Sabatons (he has the rest of the set dragonforged) and the Assault Boots, but in the end 33 extra strength is fucking rare so he is wearing the Assaults.
  • Rodriguez 30 Apr 2013 22:12:19 1,080 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Uuughh, it's taken me 25mins+ to beat a ThunderWyvern as a Mage... At least Orenda was raining meteors on the fucker!
  • Shikasama 30 Apr 2013 22:14:01 6,277 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had to do it as a Warrior because for some reason I thought that would be a better idea than a Fighter - no sympathy mate.

That hammer in a dragonforged state is balls nuts though.
  • Shikasama 30 Apr 2013 22:34:58 6,277 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Haha!

That's 4 living armours and 2 wraiths. Let's do this thing.
  • Rodriguez 30 Apr 2013 22:37:18 1,080 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That looks fun :D!
  • Shikasama 30 Apr 2013 22:38:22 6,277 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    OH GOD FOUR WRAITHS!
  • oldschoolsoviet 30 Apr 2013 22:39:04 5,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ended the night on Lv105, and I'm still getting my arse flung around sideways. God knows how this would be at the recommended Lv45-50. Eeeek.

Currently D.Forging the hell outta stuff, now I know how to use the bait meat, but this is continuing to amaze and entertain in huge measures. This is how DLC should be !
  • Shikasama 30 Apr 2013 22:43:37 6,277 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet Once I acepted my policy of using wakestones as curatives life got a lot more palatable :p
  • oldschoolsoviet 30 Apr 2013 22:57:07 5,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Shikasama Still have 60-odd from the endgame. Well supplied.
  • Shikasama 30 Apr 2013 23:09:53 6,277 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That encounter is impossible without a sorceror. Annoying.
  • Rodriguez 30 Apr 2013 23:25:17 1,080 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Shikasama

It can't be that impossible, remember one of the core pawn principles:

"Even in numbers a weakling is a weakling still!"

:D
  • Page

of 132 First / Last