The Killing (Forbrydelsen) Page 3

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

  • TechnoHippy 21 Dec 2011 17:32:42 14,719 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Season 3 is apparently on its way, not quickly enough in my opinion :-)

    My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

  • chopsen 21 Dec 2011 17:55:38 16,125 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My only criticism of the 2nd series was that it was so much shorter, and didn't have enough time to develop things so richly as the 1st. Buch's fit assistant and Plough in particular sounded like they could have been fleshed out a bit, esp Plough given his eventual significance. Like how the wheeling and dealing with the far right parties was tinged with portraying their more human side as well - that was underused. The real strength of the 1st series, I thought, was how they explored the impact of events on side characters - the family of the girl where particularly well done. Normal in cop dramas the family of the murdered barely figure, unless as suspects.

    So yeah, series three. Get to it.

    Edited by Chopsen at 17:56:24 21-12-2011
  • freedumb 22 Dec 2011 22:57:38 1,112 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think they've covered that angle in the 1st series though and didn't need to retread it in the same way. It was shorter and more focused (and with more "killings" ) but the investigation itself and the political stuff still retained its depth. Saying that it wasn't soulless though.

    I enjoyed Raben's story, character and integral usefulness to the plot (as a fugitive, as a determined character looking for the truth, and as someone struggling with his own memory and mental illness) and a lot of that emotion and family relationship angle was actually covered (albeit in a different way) with his character, and family.

    I agree that the Plough revelation at the end seemed a bit rushed and could have been developed or signposted more throughout the series. I remember near the beginning he was loyal and defensive of Monberg so I had suspected him of acting in Monberg's best interests e.g. covering up some stuff earlier but not they way it turned out with personal motive of H.C. being his son and the leaks to the PM.

    Still as a whole to me it was a series just as good, in a different way.

    Edited by freedumb at 23:04:50 22-12-2011
  • THFourteen 22 Dec 2011 23:04:14 33,820 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got season one of this for the mrs for Xmas. Hope it's good!
  • binster 23 Dec 2011 02:23:38 534 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't get what Sarah Lund's plan was at the end. Go out on your own with who you suspect to be the killer, and accuse him to his face in the middle of nowhere and hope he doesn't shoot you in the head and then sort of survive. You'd think she'd get him to confess, on a wire, then go back to the station and get him arrested. No wonder she got Meyer killed. She's rubbish.

    Oh, er, THFourteen don't read that spoiler.

    Edited by binster at 02:24:04 23-12-2011
  • chopsen 23 Dec 2011 08:29:00 16,125 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, there were a couple of points in the last ep where I went "Really?"

    The whole thing about Lund getting shot multiple times at point blank range was a bit shit I though, and nearly a shark-jumping moment for me. Surely a special forces guy knows how to make sure someone dead or not, and he didn't think a shot to the head would have secured a kill?.
  • freedumb 23 Dec 2011 21:44:16 1,112 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Chopsen
    Does seem like an anomaly. I think a possible explanation for that would be that Strange, even though a ruthless killer, had some affection for Lund, remember him stroking the wound on her face in the apartment, and even before he shot her he still took a last moment to stroke her face. You'd expect him to still make sure of the job though with the possibility of a vest on.

    Another possible explanation could be that he had to change his plan with Lund now there to thwart his scheme with Raben (whatever he was going to do with Raben, e.g. signs of a scuffle then take him out), to make Raben look like the killer of Lund after a scuffle rather than a planned execution style headshot?

    @binster
    There's no way that Lund is rubbish as we've seen in both series but it was a dodgy plan. You're right it was still reckless though. She should have at least had a wire as you said with a backup unit silently following nearby. She was armed and probably thought she could handle it, but allowed herself to get too close, literally and figuratively, dropping her guard.

    Edited by freedumb at 21:46:20 23-12-2011
  • Deleted user 23 December 2011 22:00:07
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 23 December 2011 23:21:29
    Chopsen wrote:
    My only criticism of the 2nd series was that it was so much shorter, and didn't have enough time to develop things so richly as the 1st. Buch's fit assistant and Plough in particular sounded like they could have been fleshed out a bit, esp Plough given his eventual significance. Like how the wheeling and dealing with the far right parties was tinged with portraying their more human side as well - that was underused. The real strength of the 1st series, I thought, was how they explored the impact of events on side characters - the family of the girl where particularly well done. Normal in cop dramas the family of the murdered barely figure, unless as suspects.

    So yeah, series three. Get to it.
    If you start a petition that says exactly this, I will sign it.
    Season 2 was not up the standards of Season 1. I accept that there was prioritisation due to time-limitations, and the focus went on the political side - which was both topical and interesting - but the emotional heart of the programme just wasn't there.
  • binster 24 Dec 2011 00:33:17 534 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    freedumb wrote:
    @binster
    There's no way that Lund is rubbish as we've seen in both series but it was a dodgy plan. You're right it was still reckless though. She should have at least had a wire as you said with a backup unit silently following nearby. She was armed and probably thought she could handle it, but allowed herself to get too close, literally and figuratively, dropping her guard.
    Heh, Sarah Lund isn't rubbish really, that was just hyperbole. But she keeps doing irrational things, like going into the warehouse that got Meyer killed without calling for backup. That's just sloppy police work.
  • Deleted user 24 December 2011 00:55:33
    binster wrote:
    Heh, Sarah Lund isn't rubbish really, that was just hyperbole. But she keeps doing irrational things, like going into the warehouse that got Meyer killed without calling for backup. That's just sloppy police work.
    I understand it in that she is alienated from the police force in season 1 (and more literally at the start of season 2). The way they do things is slow, illogical, and ruled by bureaucracy. And she starts to find out that something corrupt is happening in the police force and stops trusting the others - especially Brix.

    This is taken through to Season 2, where she doesn't trust her partner and clearly you are shown that you should not trust politicians.

    Her not acting according to procedure is perfectly understandable to me. But then maybe I'm a maverick cop and am just self-servingly covering up for the fact I do a shit job, day in, night out, allowing innocent people to die because I keep fucking up hostage situations.

    /drinks heavily.
  • binster 24 Dec 2011 01:48:18 534 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stompy wrote:
    I understand it in that she is alienated from the police force in season 1 (and more literally at the start of season 2). The way they do things is slow, illogical, and ruled by bureaucracy. And she starts to find out that something corrupt is happening in the police force and stops trusting the others - especially Brix.

    This is taken through to Season 2, where she doesn't trust her partner and clearly you are shown that you should not trust politicians.

    Her not acting according to procedure is perfectly understandable to me. But then maybe I'm a maverick cop and am just self-servingly covering up for the fact I do a shit job, day in, night out, allowing innocent people to die because I keep fucking up hostage situations.

    /drinks heavily.
    True that she's suspicious of the force, but she didn't even go in with Meyer as a two man team. She's off the chain.

    Also, in series one, at one point she won't even let Meyer have a meal with his family cos she wants to go dredge a lake. You can't tell me that couldn't wait a couple of hours while Meyer eats icecream.

    Dammit Stompy you're out of line, now get out there and solve some crimes or I'm taking your badge.

    Edited by binster at 01:48:57 24-12-2011
  • Deleted user 24 December 2011 10:28:38
    binster wrote:
    Also, in series one, at one point she won't even let Meyer have a meal with his family cos she wants to go dredge a lake. You can't tell me that couldn't wait a couple of hours while Meyer eats icecream.
    She is a dirty bitch, isn't she? Getting all in his family's face with her jumper on.


    binster wrote:
    Dammit Stompy you're out of line, now get out there and solve some crimes or I'm taking your badge.
    I'm busy shooting non-white people in the face at the moment.
  • binster 24 Dec 2011 10:50:14 534 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To be honest Stompy, I'm beginning to wonder how a squirrel in a hat ever got a job at the precinct...
  • twelveways 3 Jan 2012 16:01:32 4,061 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it worth watching this if I have already seen the yank version? Also, is there a second season of the yank version coming out?

    I liked it, upon reflection the overall story-arc does seem a little weak but I think it was done superbly, the two cops were great and, as mentioned before, I like the way it didn't just follow the investigation but also followed the girl's family.
  • chopsen 3 Jan 2012 16:39:06 16,125 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I only saw the 1st episode of the American one and having watched all the original, and it irritated me. Probably because of cognitive dissonance. I would not be surpised if you had a similar response to me, but just the other way round. The first ep of the American at least was like a shot for shot remake, except somehow less atmospheric and less well acted. I've heard that the person wot did it is different in both versions, but I'm not 100% on this.
  • TechnoHippy 12 Nov 2012 19:42:46 14,719 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Season 3 starts on BBC 4 Saturday at 9pm. Looking forward to it.

    My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

  • freedumb 26 Dec 2012 00:33:15 1,112 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finished series 3 - as a whole top stuff again - lots of tension and sustained depth of investigation, characterisation and plot threads. A melancholy ending like before as well.
  • Maturin 26 Dec 2012 11:43:41 3,098 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It was ace. Don't forget season two of Borgen starts next week.

    In the meantime wife and I are watching the blurays of the original Swedish Millennium Trilogy.
  • BillMurray 26 Dec 2012 11:49:44 7,789 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Everyone seen Adam Buxton's The Killing literal translation? It's brilliant.

    http://youtu.be/hy3EdPbxIAY
  • UncleLou Moderator 26 Dec 2012 11:59:20 35,711 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    Everyone seen Adam Buxton's The Killing literal translation? It's brilliant.

    http://youtu.be/hy3EdPbxIAY
    :D

    Watched season 2 a few weeks ago, it's at the same time very good and not nearly as good as season 1, IMO. I preferred the first season's more personal storyline and the slower pacing which really set it apart.
  • riz23 26 Dec 2012 12:28:48 1,340 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    BillMurray wrote:
    Everyone seen Adam Buxton's The Killing literal translation? It's brilliant.

    http://youtu.be/hy3EdPbxIAY
    :D

    Watched season 2 a few weeks ago, it's at the same time very good and not nearly as good as season 1, IMO. I preferred the first season's more personal storyline and the slower pacing which really set it apart.
    It's true. Season one was so very different, the ultimate banality of the truth so real and sad whereas series 2 was just another cop show imho although still a good one. I haven't finished series 3 yet but it too does not quite have the magic of the first.
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Dec 2012 12:37:56 17,178 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    Everyone seen Adam Buxton's The Killing literal translation? It's brilliant.

    http://youtu.be/hy3EdPbxIAY
    That's fantastic!

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • UncleLou Moderator 26 Dec 2012 12:52:52 35,711 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep For owners it's the World Cup!
  • freedumb 27 Dec 2012 19:17:56 1,112 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Maturin

    Borgen's another stellar series.

    Haven't seen the M trilogy (even though I've got the remake unwatched on sky+) but will do so in the future.

    Thinking of nabbing the trilogy of this later on for a rewatch.
  • Deleted user 26 April 2013 19:11:20
    Third season of the US one somehow being made.

    The second was all kinds of arse, so no idea why they're bothering.
  • convz 24 Jun 2013 00:20:38 377 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Would you guys recommend watching the US version for someone who's just watched (and enjoyed) the original? As far as I know the first season is pretty much the same, so if the second series is rubbish I may swerve it

    Overall thought it was really good, Danish spoilers - I felt like the end was a huge anti climax though, like Vagn was going to express his love for her etc, not once also did his story tie in with the rape, the whole ending just seemed very rushed which is incredible for a 20 episode show about one case!
  • riz23 24 Jun 2013 13:43:47 1,340 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @convz I thought the ending was superb. Not rushed but reflective of the harsh banality of this sort of crime. It was depressingly realistic and therefore all them more powerful for this reason.

    You have watched the other two Danish series right? I don't think they were as good as the first but worth a watch nevertheless. The US one can be safely avoided.
  • UncleLou Moderator 24 Jun 2013 14:22:25 35,711 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    BillMurray wrote:
    Everyone seen Adam Buxton's The Killing literal translation? It's brilliant.

    http://youtu.be/hy3EdPbxIAY
    That's fantastic!
    This still cracks me up.
  • Razz 3 Aug 2013 09:27:42 61,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finally got around to watching the 2 episodes last night. OMG it took every bit of will power to force myself to bed and not watch the whole thing. What wonderful pacing and atmosphere. I've been told to watch this so many times but never had the patience for it until now. so glad I waited.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

Log in or register to reply