Fez - 2D/3D in a Studio Pixel style Page 18

• Page

of 26 First / Last

• Mr-Brett 2 May 2013 19:57:19 12,803 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, I've played plenty of juddery games and at all sorts of frame rates but perhaps this is different. I wasn't *trying* to "act high and mighty" perhaps it's because I'm so obnoxious that it just happens naturally :)

To prevent further derailing I think it best that I leave it there.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Pinky_Floyd 2 May 2013 20:46:38 7,906 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I loved this game. Arguably the greatest game on the console, after Minecraft.
    Smashing, I know to leave it well alone then ;)
  • bunglebonce 2 May 2013 20:48:16 2,134 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Roddles wrote:

Also the classic "it's only a game" comment doesn't really work. Product is buggy. Product cost money. Try saying that to anybody who's wasted money on Sim City.
    It does - that's absolutely no reason to call anyone an obnoxious cunt.

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• Roddles 2 May 2013 20:50:02 1,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Obnoxiously belittling those who have major problems with a purchase.

Nope.
  • andytheadequate 2 May 2013 21:07:36 8,191 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd - it's a mixture of genius and frustrating. There are some bugs/ performance issues, it can be very confusing what to do, and some of the puzzles are just plain obscure.

But it's sense of exploration and achievement when you figure out a puzzle is amazing. Definitely worth a try, but can't guarantee you'll love it
  • RedSparrows 2 May 2013 21:13:27 22,769 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's brilliant.
  • Pinky_Floyd 2 May 2013 21:13:54 7,906 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @andytheadequate Will keep that in mind, sir! 
  • danathjo 2 May 2013 21:55:35 7,388 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That Roddles guy really needs to get laid

anyway, was there a confirmation that this was coming to PSN? Looks perfect for the vita...at worst, PS3 (although can't see myself playing this on the train with notepad at hand)

Edited by danathjo at 21:57:12 02-05-2013
  • Roddles 2 May 2013 23:00:49 1,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Deary me, playground cliches now.

Anyway, seems there's a variable in the exe that refers to the timer which could hopefully be patched (or hacked) to enable untorn and judder free gameplay.

In regards to blank menus it seems for some odd reason it conflicts with anything that uses Rivatuner's OSD, ie MSI Afterburner. I can't for the life of me understand why they'd conflict, but they do.

Reads like a Vizinni post.
  • riz23 2 May 2013 23:25:50 1,295 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Certainly one of the best gaming experiences I have had in the past ten years. Maybe since Mario 64. I absolutely lost myself in the world of Fez. Such achievement at working out certain things too. A brilliant brilliant game.
  • Mr-Brett 3 May 2013 11:12:47 12,803 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This talk of the PC one encouraged me to have another crack at the Xbox version, I enjoyed it and seemed to make more progress. I notice it seems to have the same framerate issues but can't say I'd really noticed them before.

• Bremenacht 3 May 2013 12:12:03 18,321 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Roddles wrote:
    Obnoxiously belittling those who have major problems with a purchase.

Nope.
    I didn't read it that way at all, and given his history of not behaving like that at all, I think you've overreacted.
  • Bremenacht 3 May 2013 12:18:13 18,321 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    The thing is, I am a gamer that requires a feedback loop, Fez very much doesn't provide an interactive feedback loop at the point I described. As an example, I assumed that it had something to do with the lightning so I spent ages trying to piece together some kind of timing related thing or something to do with illumination but as I had nothing to interact with to give me a clue I just gave up.

I'm not sure if I have always been this way regarding feedback loops but trial and error is very much part of how I play games, probably through conditioning. This idea being subverted is a good way for games to move as it requires more lateral thinking but I wasn't prepared for that and so I just gave up.
    I'm similar. I went in with certain (incorrect) expectations as to how it would play, and was a bit disappointed as a result. Leaving it for a few weeks to go back to the head-scratching bits made things worse, resulting in the months-long gap since I last played it. I think I'd be better of resetting the game now and trying again - with a notebook this time. Actually, do I even have a choice, given the update bug I read about some time back.

What would really raise this game into something more people could get into would be some sort of interactive notepad into which you could c/p symbols from the game, from which to organise and make sense of them. Could be brill on Wii U.
  • Mr_Sleep 3 May 2013 12:35:20 17,082 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Exactly the same here too, I went back to it a few times to try and piece it together and I had no idea. I think, even at the time, the problem was that there was nothing up to that point to indicate that you were supposed to pay attention and it seemed to be a game requiring the use of the world spin mechanic and that was it. Then there was this other level of complexity that just foxed me. I agree too that it would be sensible to start again but I bet I'd still get stuck in the same place. Looking at a chalkboard and feeling inadequate, much like my days in school.

A screenshot diary of specific items would be ace.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Raiko101 3 May 2013 13:17:02 6,315 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd Ah, they're not remotely similar. Fez is well worth having a look at. It really is a blast to the past, and that has nothing to do with the graphics.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Mr-Brett 3 May 2013 14:54:21 12,803 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can someone give me a hint on where to start with the infamous notebook stuff? I've written down a few of the square icons but I'm not seeing anything so far.

• Raiko101 3 May 2013 18:59:34 6,315 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If anything looks remotely like it's communicating something, start making notes. Square patterns, foreign text, etc... The further you explore, the more they'll crop up, but the hints they leave don't always paint a full picture. You'll be cross-referencing quite a bit.

It's all good fun though.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Rhaegyr 3 May 2013 19:46:52 1,744 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I started my notes when I found the fox jumping over the lazy dog.

Eureka moment.
  • Widge Moderator 8 May 2013 20:19:08 13,617 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    2nd part of the remixes and unreleased OST is out. Will feed back.

Features a Baiyon remix.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Deleted user 10 May 2013 11:00:09
    "it's number one on steam and it's not even out yet, try harder with your boycotts pc geeks"

Fez creator decides to try to irritate the vocal pc crowd some more.
  • kinky_mong 10 May 2013 11:13:41 10,299 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hahaha I love Phil Fish!

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• kinky_mong 22 May 2013 10:23:15 10,299 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So a thought just occurred to me with regards to the recent PC version, (spoiling this just in case some people would rather not know about the type of puzzle yet) how on earth will the rumble puzzles work if you're not using a rumble enabled controller?

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• caligari 2 Jun 2013 22:11:27 17,057 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I love the music and art-style, but I'm finding the game a little aimless.

I've tried to understand the map, but I seem to end up repeating the same sections over and over again.

Will it 'click' for me, or should I simply move on - and end up hating myself forever?
  • Kay 2 Jun 2013 22:33:41 17,895 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The map is a bit fiddly, but you get used to it. I guess it depends on how far in you are, but if you're still not enjoying it after a couple of hours then the rest of the game probably won't change your opinion.

You can always leave it for now and come back to it later - I guess you need to be in the mood for something more gentle and slower-paced to fully enjoy it.
  • caligari 2 Jun 2013 22:50:27 17,057 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's a real shame (only in my opinion) that it's so 'open-world' - I just don't have the patience for anything like this if it's not a little more 'concentrated' (ala Limbo, Braid, Last Ninja).
  • monkehhh 13 Jun 2013 19:01:10 3,330 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://vimeo.com/68238416
  • L0cky 14 Jun 2013 17:54:25 1,530 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    \o/
  • L0cky 14 Jun 2013 17:55:43 1,530 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    It's a real shame (only in my opinion) that it's so 'open-world' - I just don't have the patience for anything like this if it's not a little more 'concentrated' (ala Limbo, Braid, Last Ninja).
    It's open world in the same way Metroid was open world, not in the same way as Skyrim is open world.

I think it was about 20 hours to do everything? Something like that.
  • Deleted user 28 July 2013 18:24:27
    I completed it on about 120% last year, came back to it today right at the start of second playthrough and got the sun glasses so can see 1st person.

Now what? I been wondering around for a bit but noticed nothing different, what am I missing?
  • CharlieStCloud 28 Jul 2013 21:40:00 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Choppi wrote:
    Now what? I been wondering around for a bit but noticed nothing different, what am I missing?
    It is just a little bonus for completing the game, seeing the world through the little guys eyes.

... nothing new (to be found) or anything extra for using this unfortunately.

A nice 'ah ha!' moment, is all.
  • Page

of 26 First / Last