The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Page 59

• Page

of 59 First / Last

Next
  • andywilkie35 3 Nov 2011 12:04:27 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After playing up to a certain moment in the game somewhere around 10 times across repeated attempts on the N64 and Gamecube, last night I arrived at this point.

I'm determined to complete it this time. I don't know why I always give up at this point (would say where but cant be arsed to type out spoiler tags on my phone) as its where the main game really begins as far as I know.

Really does look excellent graphically. Although it is yet another game I play with 3D turned off.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• roz123 4 Nov 2011 13:59:06 7,112 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Now that development on The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword has finished, what lies ahead for the series? Producer Eiji Aonuma answered that exact question in an interview with Portuguese gaming site MyGames.

Some fans have been asking for a remake of Majoraís Mask for the 3DS, but it sounds like Nintendo has something completely new in store for the system.

Aonuma told the site:

ďWe are already preparing a new game, a game in the series for the Nintendo 3DS, but donít think that it is a direct sequel to the Zelda titles released on DS. We are talking about a new game, but it takes much of what has been done on previous consoles.Ē

So, does this news rule out Majoraís Mask for 3DS? Absolutely not. In fact, Aonuma revealed that heís spoken to Miyamoto about the idea, though Nintendo has decided to make a completely original game because it didnít seem right releasing two remakes so quickly.

ďItís something Iím asked about often and I assure you that it is something Iíve spoken to Miyamoto about. But recently we released The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D as a remake. We are considering the idea, but it didnít seem right to launch a remake one after another, so the next Zelda game on 3DS will be original.Ē
  • Monsieur_Blade 14 Nov 2011 10:26:57 338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I just can't make my mind up about this game? I'm not sure whether I love it or hate it!

It's my first ever Zelda game and after hearing people say it was there 'favourite game of all time' and 'best game ever...etc' I had really high hopes!

To start with, I just want to clarify that I do think it's a great game, it's just there are a couple of things that stop it being superb and really frustrate me:

- The first is the vagueness of what to do next. Most of the time I've been fine and used the 'magic stone' if I've got stuck but there's been a couple of times that I've had no idea what to do next! I ended up wandering around determined to work it out but in the end I had to admit defeat and look at a Wiki-guide.

The first place I got stuck was when you have to empty the well by becoming young Zelda again. I knew I had to do something with the well but I'd have never worked it out without the guide! The second place I got stuck was using Din's fire to open the Shadow Temple. Again, I spent hours looking around and getting really frustrated before finally giving in and looking at the Wiki-guide. I just found it really frustrating that it made it so vague and it ruined my enjoyment of the game a little.

- The second negative point was the repetitiveness of the game. Don't get me wrong, there were some great little puzzles and some brilliant boss fights but the game does repeat itself quite a bit e.g. Go to a dungeon, get a key to open a door, go to the next room (locked door) find another key to open it...etc

I've just got one dungeon left to complete now and I am enjoying the game a lot more now I'm not just aimlessly wondering around.

It's still probably the best handheld game I've ever played but it's a long way off being anywhere near my favourite game of all time. I can totally understand why it was incredible when it was first released 13 years ago but I do think some people look back at it through rose tinted specs some times. Maybe I'm too use to having my hand held by modern games but I just found the vagueness of a couple of puzzles absolutely infuriating.

Still a great game overall though!
  • AcidSnake 14 Nov 2011 10:35:11 7,214 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Monsieur:
    "Go to a dungeon, get a key to open a door, go to the next room (locked door) find another key to open it"

Much as in "Start the game, do stuff, game ends"?
    It's how you find the key or open the doors that's a good part of the gameplay...Of course if you don't like that the whole game will lose some shine :)

I do remember getting stuck in the original release, but eventually finding my way out without guides...Maybe other than having your hand held you're too interested in the destination and not enough in the journey?

If it's the desert temple that's left you're about to hit my favourite dungeon...Hope that changes your mind... :)

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Popzeus 14 Nov 2011 11:14:38 8,272 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The funny thing for me is I'm getting stuck in a lot of the same places that I did when I first played it.

Figuring out how to open the door to the Water Temple, for instance. Real facepalm moment when I finally realised that the Hookshot works underwater - I'd been trying to do it from the dry lake bed and it was too far away!

But also I've been getting stuck in whole new places based on trying to do things out of sequence based on my vague memories of long-ago playthroughs.

Still a fantastic game, though.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Monsieur_Blade 14 Nov 2011 12:00:34 338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    @Monsieur:
    "Go to a dungeon, get a key to open a door, go to the next room (locked door) find another key to open it"

Much as in "Start the game, do stuff, game ends"?
    It's how you find the key or open the doors that's a good part of the gameplay...Of course if you don't like that the whole game will lose some shine :)

I do remember getting stuck in the original release, but eventually finding my way out without guides...Maybe other than having your hand held you're too interested in the destination and not enough in the journey?

If it's the desert temple that's left you're about to hit my favourite dungeon...Hope that changes your mind... :)
    I think my main problem with the whole key, locked door thing is that you finally work out a puzzle and get a key (hooray!!), open the door and then your hit with another locked door almost straight away. By the time I hit the 4th or 5th dungeon I was kinda hoping for something a bit different.

My final dungeon is the Shadow Temple AcidSnake. I finally got Din's Fire and opened the temple doors last night.

The Desert Temple was the last dungeon I completed though and I've got to agree with you - It was the best dungeon so far and made me fall back in love with the game :) I absolutely love the final boss fight!

Maybe your right about not being interested enough in the journey. Now I'm older and at work all week I don't have as long to play games so I haven't been exploring the world as much as I would back when I was a kid.

It's def a special game though cos I can't wait to get home tonight and complete the Shadow Temple. I've played 43 hours so far so it's def been value for money, even if it has left me frustrated at times.

Super Mario Land 3D should be arriving on Friday as well so it's the perfect time for me to complete Zelda as I'm not worried about having nothing to play once I'm finished now!
  • Kay 14 Nov 2011 13:13:08 17,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Monsieur_Blade wrote:
    It's still probably the best handheld game I've ever played but it's a long way off being anywhere near my favourite game of all time. I can totally understand why it was incredible when it was first released 13 years ago
    This sums it up. It's still a 13 year old game, and in many respects it obviously doesn't compare to modern games, so of course you're not likely to consider it as "the greatest game ever" in 2011. You have to remember this was the amongst the very first 3D action-adventures to be released, and it pioneered many gameplay elements that are still used to this day. The fact that you still consider it a great game, possibly the best handheld game ever, is testament to how spot-in Nintendo got it the first time.

Also the dungeon formula can sound quite repetitive when you put it like that, but every dungeon has a strong sense of identity and unique puzzles that make each one stand out, with the art design and music also helping. Changing the water level in one dungeon, going back in time to solve part of another dungeon, etc. I think the set of dungeons in OoT, as a whole, remain the best in the series - they're all unique and complement each other nicely.

Btw, if you're like me you'll love the game a lot more after the epic finale. Possibly then you'll see why the game is so cherished.
  • AcidSnake 14 Nov 2011 13:18:32 7,214 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Kay:
    Also true...
    Like Z-targeting, that was pretty damn novel at the time...

It's amazing how large and daunting the whole game seemed back then...The skulltula hunt made you see every nook and cranny of the map...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• andywilkie35 14 Nov 2011 13:38:27 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got up to the Water Temple last night. Officially the furthest I've ever got in my repeated attempts to finish the game :)

Absolutely loving it - the graphics are lovely. As said earlier, I still play with the 3D completely off though, it's much better for it IMO.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Monsieur_Blade 14 Nov 2011 13:38:35 338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Btw, if you're like me you'll love the game a lot more after the epic finale. Possibly then you'll see why the game is so cherished.
    Oooow you've got me excited now! Just one more dungeon to go!!

I actually think I'd probably enjoy the game more on a second play through as I won't get stuck as much and it should flow a lot better. As I said, I've so far clocked up over 43 hours on the game but I'd say at least 15 hours of that has been me aimlessly wondering around trying to figure out what to do next!

I think I'm actually gonna feel quite sad when I complete the game as although it's frustrated me at times, it is a great world to explore and an incredible achievement on a console the size of the 3DS :)
  • Monsieur_Blade 17 Nov 2011 11:30:14 338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Finally defeated the Shadow Temple boss last night. It took me about 10 attempts! I don't know if it's just me but I found it the hardest boss in the game by a long way!

It's strange though cos I actually found the Shadow Temple the easiest dungeon out of them all, it was just the boss that gave me trouble. I finally worked out (with a little help from a wiki guide) that I needed to target-lock on to the crazy eye thing and shoot it with an arrow. I kept trying to manually aim and getting squished!

Just got the final boss battle to go now! The games really grown on me since I completed the desert temple and the shadow temple. I'm not getting as frustrated now :)
  • AcidSnake 17 Nov 2011 11:36:57 7,214 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @monsieur:
    Because they're just going to let you walk up to the final boss? :)

The challenges await you!

• elstoof 17 Nov 2011 12:02:21 6,591 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Managed to completely miss the fire arrows this time round, don't remember having them pointed out to me about them either. How did I manage to pick them up as a 13 year old idiot but not now o_O
  • Deleted user 17 November 2011 12:06:07
    Monsieur_Blade wrote:
    I'm not getting as frustrated now :)
    It's a bastard when a game needs you to think isn't it? :D

Skyward sword is the same, thankfully
  • Popzeus 17 Nov 2011 15:55:39 8,272 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's funny, I don't remember finding the Water Temple particularly hard or frustrating when I played this the first time.

It was driving me to distraction last night though!

I've been through all 3 water levels about 5 times and still have at least two areas I can't get into for the life of me, and the worst thing is I can't quite figure out whether it's because I'm lacking some item or just that they require some really tight timing or pixel-perfect positioning and I lack the skillz.

I'm not angling for tips here BTW, I'm determined to see this through under my own steam. Just thought I'd vent...

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Lexx87 17 Nov 2011 16:30:03 20,869 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pop...You need none of those.

Probably just missing a hard to spot hootshot thingy...

Speak the truth hussy!

• Zackv4861 16 Dec 2011 19:31:26 1,082 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jesus i forgot how much i love this game and hate it at the same time!! I don't think anyone can deny it looks stunning though!! Just about to head to Ganondorf's castle. Nearly done!!
  • Monsieur_Blade 17 Feb 2012 12:11:19 338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I haven't played this for a couple of months and decided to try and finally finish it.

I'm up to Gannon's castle now and the game is still proving just as infuriating/brilliant as it was before!!

The only room I had left to clear was the Fire room but I had no idea how to get to the final ruby and open the door. I tried everything - hover boots, throwing bombs, trying to pick up the big column...etc. After an hour of failed attempts I gave up and looked at a wiki guide. Turns out I was trying the right thing with the column I just needed to have the Golden glove thing in order to lift it. I had no idea it was in the Shadow room!

This is the only thing that really frustrates me about this game. It just seems so vague about what to do next. If I hadn't looked at the guide I don't think I'd have ever worked it out!

I don't think it's that I'm rubbish at working things out either cos I loved Limbo for example, and worked out the puzzles pretty quickly. Zelda just seems to be vague for the sake of it sometimes.

Still a great game though!
  • Kay 17 Feb 2012 12:27:24 17,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Monsieur_Blade wrote:
    If I hadn't looked at the guide I don't think I'd have ever worked it out!
    Or you could have tried looking at one of the Sheikah stones, perhaps? :)
  • Monsieur_Blade 17 Feb 2012 12:38:41 338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Monsieur_Blade wrote:
    If I hadn't looked at the guide I don't think I'd have ever worked it out!
    Or you could have tried looking at one of the Sheikah stones, perhaps? :)
    I tried that but there wasn't a Sheikah stone for Gannon's temple for some reason?
  • Kay 17 Feb 2012 12:48:42 17,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's odd then. Maybe the devs felt that, by the end of the game, you wouldn't need any more help? :)

In any case, from what I remember the golden gloves item wasn't exactly hard to find... I guess games of that era forced players to explore existing areas properly, before moving on/giving up.

Edited by Kay at 12:50:19 17-02-2012
  • Monsieur_Blade 17 Feb 2012 15:11:34 338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    That's odd then. Maybe the devs felt that, by the end of the game, you wouldn't need any more help? :)

In any case, from what I remember the golden gloves item wasn't exactly hard to find... I guess games of that era forced players to explore existing areas properly, before moving on/giving up.
    I think that's maybe it. I've become so used to modern games pointing out exactly what I need to do to move forward that I'm not used to having to search around and find things to progress. I think if the golden gloves had been in the fire room I would have been ok. It's the fact that they were in a different room entirely. I'm not used to games having to make you work!
  • Red_Bool 11 Apr 2012 15:10:57 1,173 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been playing this for a couple of weeks now. It's been 12 years since I completed it on the N64, but luckily I can't remember anything about the dungeons and puzzles (apart from some global things) :)

This is the first time I've bought a remake of a game I already own (twice even, on the N64 and on the Windwaker extras), but I have not regretted it one second: This game is still as awesome as it was when I first played it.

It also really "feels" much better than Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword imo.
  • Lukree 28 Feb 2013 08:24:43 158 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm at the final boss encounter and damn... Am I old or what, but I have tried to beat him at least ten times with no success. Have even watched some youtube videos, but I still cannot aim and shoot arrows fast enough.

But really superb game, I have really enjoyed it. If just more games with similar sense of wonder and as good overall design were released...
  • el_pollo_diablo 9 Sep 2013 00:47:29 2,064 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bongo Bongo you complete BASTARD.
  • Page

of 59 First / Last

Next