Eurogamer Expo 2011 Page 14

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• spamdangled 26 Sep 2011 15:37:57 27,441 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    The whole concept of The Run is fucking stupid. People buy need for speed to race fast cars, not to go fucking free-running.

The two demo levels they had, and the longer career branch they formed part of, had no suggestion of free-running. Very much point to point racing.
    Didnt the whole release make a big thing about how you are no longer confined to a car and will instead have to escape from the police on foot? Hence the title?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 26 Sep 2011 15:38:47 27,441 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Noone else noticed the old granny playing guild wars 2 then?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• brokenkey 26 Sep 2011 15:40:41 7,154 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Next year my girlfriend wants to come in a HEV-Suit corset.
    Win.

If she wants to come in that you shouldn't keep her waiting a year.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• MrTomFTW Moderator 26 Sep 2011 15:41:09 39,758 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Next year I'm coming dressed as E. Honda.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• agparrot 26 Sep 2011 15:42:01 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It was my favourite expo so far I think, helped by it being in the whole hall. Generally queue times seemed better than last year, although obviously some of the premium-interest stuff was pretty busy - Skyrim, Batman, MW3 and Vita, which seemed really, really busy on Saturday.

The Retro and Indie arcades were all sorts of great, although along with the "20 years of id software" session just conspired to make me feel old.

Rage looked better than I thought it would. nickthegun is right about Ninja Gaiden 3 - it's just not Ninja Gaiden, it seemed like some sort of simplified junk game. I don't have any reassuring words for pinebear about Anarchy Reigns, it's an absolutely mental 4UP fighting game with mental special moves, played at light speed with lots of button mashing. MW3 looked... like COD, BF3 looked great, the PC version really was rather jaw-dropping and made me a bit jealous. Skyrim looked like a more refined Oblivion, with improved graphics and interface. Arkham City looked great. NFS: The Run seemed like the Hot Pursuit code library has been lifted wholesale into another title, but they gave out a quality keyring.

Ratchet and Clank was hilarious in multiplayer co-op, and Awesomenauts was set up for 3v3 action on the stand which was also fast paced and fun. I got murdered at AssCreed Revelations but it seemed like great MP fun.

There was loads of stuff I didn't get to play, Retroid said Ridge Racer Unbounded was quite reminiscent of Flatout, but I didn't ever find the machines where it was running. I was glad I'd gone for two days, as this certainly means you're a bit more relaxed about waiting to play stuff, but it was very rare to wait more than 15 - 20 minutes, and many games you just had to wait for the person in front of you to finish.

My Curry food was tasty, the Saturday night bash seemed really well thought out, had free beer and more new faces, although truth be told I was exhausted by then so didn't do as much circulating as I might have done. Was fun watching some of those old games being played, catching up with people and just chatting and laughing a lot. Ace out of 10.
  • nickthegun 26 Sep 2011 15:42:03 61,299 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    You'd gone home by the time I met her, otherwise I would have introduced you. Mind you, if Nick saw her too, she must have been hanging out for a while.

It must have been about 8 o'clock. And, yeah, it was certainly a case for 'so what? i have nice boobs'. I was just quite surprised that no one told her as she fell further and further out. It was quite mesmeric by the end.

Also, I think I inadvertently worked out who she is from the 'you may also like' sidebar on grays expo video.

/not a stalker

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• wideawakewesley 26 Sep 2011 15:46:28 5 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    So not even a good video? Seems a bit of a dull thing to be showing to warrant having an iPad stuck to your stomach.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the quality of the video, but as a marketing gimmick, it worked for us. Whether that turns into new listeners to our show, who knows, but it was way more effective than the regular t-shirts we wore last year. I was a bit surprised there wasn't anyone else there with anything similar as it got us a lot of attention and it was nice to have booth babes staring at me for a change and not vice versa...

...ok, I admit I may have done some staring too.
  • Alastair 26 Sep 2011 15:51:01 16,405 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Next year my girlfriend wants to come in a HEV-Suit corset.
    Win.

Awesome, what time do you think you'll be arriving?
  • warlockuk 26 Sep 2011 15:56:01 19,223 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Next year we probably won't be as busy with other stuff so I dare say we'll come down the night before + stay until Sunday.

It'd be boob central, though, she's pretty epic in a corset. \o/

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Alastair 26 Sep 2011 15:57:33 16,405 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    It'd be boob central, though, she's pretty epic in a corset. \o/

My boob radar was working perfectly at that point... :o)
  • warlockuk 26 Sep 2011 16:00:22 19,223 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's how you located us :D

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Alastair 26 Sep 2011 16:01:48 16,405 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    :o)
  • localnotail 26 Sep 2011 16:02:45 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Did the dazzling awesomeness of your dogtags mean that you escaped the doghouse for being a dirty stop out, Alastair?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Alastair 26 Sep 2011 16:07:08 16,405 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Surprisingly, no mention was made about what time I got home or got into bed (23:15 and 00:00 respectively).
    I guess because I then got up at 06:30 to get breakfast for the Ginger Ninja when he came trotting in asking for it.
  • localnotail 26 Sep 2011 16:08:32 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Result \o/

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Alastair 26 Sep 2011 16:11:35 16,405 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep, except for my headache and tiredness through the day. Would have loved to stay later, but I think in retrospect I balanced it about right.
  • brokenkey 26 Sep 2011 17:24:09 7,154 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    You'd gone home by the time I met her, otherwise I would have introduced you. Mind you, if Nick saw her too, she must have been hanging out for a while.

It must have been about 8 o'clock. And, yeah, it was certainly a case for 'so what? i have nice boobs'. I was just quite surprised that no one told her as she fell further and further out. It was quite mesmeric by the end.

Also, I think I inadvertently worked out who she is from the 'you may also like' sidebar on grays expo video.

/not a stalker

Share then, don't be shy

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• MrTomFTW Moderator 26 Sep 2011 17:24:48 39,758 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I would have loved to have stayed out too but a 5 hour drive the next would not have been good had I rolled in after midnight.

Maybe next year eh?

• Huntcjna 26 Sep 2011 17:40:34 13,877 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    That Joker girl was well-chosen

nickthegun wrote:
    My highlight/lowlight was seeing a woman obliviously falling out of her dress at the after party while the people she was talking to steadfastly refused to tell her.

Two buttons down and a pink nose and the bastards never said a word. Neither did I, to be fair, but its not really the kind of ice breaker most people enjoy.

I think she was one of my toilet friends*, she came to talk to me afterwards and I became completely fascinated by watching for nipple flash. They were very nice breasts, and there was no way of fixing that dress to stop it happening, so I simply admired them.

*exited cubicle of ladies loo at party to discover 3 young women having an involved, informed debate about gaming. This was a complete joy to me and made me hopeful for the future. Of course, none of them post on here, but they did all have blogs / websites of their own.

edit: Oh, and +1 to the Tintin praise, it was very charming indeed, and kept the feel of the illustrations very nicely.

I also witnessed this slippage during a period when the aforementioned young lady was stroking my friends imaginary parrot (disclaimer: not a euphemism or a reference to eg's own agparrot).
  • sideeye 26 Sep 2011 17:49:17 36 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    localnotail wrote:

/not a stalker

Care to share the video that she is in so we can all have a perv as well?
  • nickthegun 26 Sep 2011 17:51:08 61,299 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not really, no.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• psychokitten Moderator 26 Sep 2011 17:54:18 7,794 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thread is not at all venturing into creepy territory

Anyway, EG Expo 2011 was just plain wonderful. Great set up this year and it was so much fun to meet up with everyone, and familiar forumites I hadn't met at the previous expos :)

Mid-year LAN party anyone?
  • warlockuk 26 Sep 2011 18:16:48 19,223 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wideawakewesley wrote:
    We'll have to agree to disagree on the quality of the video, but as a marketing gimmick, it worked for us.
    Ah, right - I didn't get that it was a marketing gimmick (d'oh). I just assumed that if you made something that nerdy you'd have a load of video on there or at least some kinda touch-screen interaction.

x-ray of your chest that you tap to pull the organs out operation-stylee or something...

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 26 September 2011 18:18:32
    If he reads this, I want to say thank you to Ignateous Cheese for the ticket for Sunday. It turned out to be the best day of the Expo for me :)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 26 Sep 2011 18:18:48 39,758 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    psychokitten wrote:
    Mid-year LAN party anyone?
    If it's in the north, you're on haha.

• Huntcjna 26 Sep 2011 18:30:30 13,877 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I will agree its getting a little dark in here so back to games. Heres a few impressions from me below.

Dark Souls - Incredibly tough tutorial, the first boss was hard as nails but in the best way possible. I liked the fact that me and the friend I was playing with found two different ways to approach him, my favourite being my route of dropping a couple of platforms from above him and launching a jumping attack to knock about 30% of health off. He inevitably still destroyed me in three hits though as my armor was too heavy for me to roll at speed. Its exactly like Demon Souls in terms of enemy design and UI but there was some horrible slowdown on the 360 version.

Vita - I queued about 40 minutes and while its a nice piece of kit I just can't see it doing any better than the psp did in the west. I played little deviants which ran smooth and was quite a nice demo title to see all the control options but I was bored of it before my ten minutes ran out and it smacked of typical launch line up filler. With ipad gaming going from strength to strength I just can't see it going great guns at all unless of course a mobile modern warfare kicks up interest.

El Shaddai - Im playing this at the moment anyway (its great go buy it immediately) but it was nice to see lots of people trying it. The art looked particularly amazing on the Samsung LED TV's.

Witcher 2 - Went to the session for the 360 version demo and while the draw distance isn't hitting the heights of its PC counterpart everything else looked great. Red engine looks like its scaling really nicely for 360 use and the foliage was crisis levels of good IMO.

Tin Tin - Fabulous little surprise, the art and animation was great and while I found the game play mechanics a little simple for my tastes they really do justice to the licence oh and you can play as Snowy in coop!

Rage - Buttery smooth at 60fps and the graphical quality was superb. I think this has a few surprises up its sleeve and while people were writing it off as 'a borderlands clone' its a far better realised world and the gun play was fantastic.

Ninja Gaiden 3 - Horrible I have nothing good to say about it. Its a poster child of how to attempt to westernise a sequel and fail miserably. That studio has produced nothing of any merit since Itagaki left and on this showing may never do again. Don't even get me started on the awful QTE's.

Ridge Racer Unbounded - Beautiful but bastard hard. I like the mechanic of drifting to reach power and then busting through parts of the scenery to shorten the route but it needs AI work. As usual though bugbears physics stuff was superb and that is the games shining light at the moment.

NFS The Run - PASS

Skyrim - In ten minutes I managed to find a massive electric broadsword in a cave hidden by a waterfall and massacred a hideout full of bandits. I want it. Now.

Anarchy Reigns - This was absolutely bat shit crazy and not in a good way. Looks great in motion but is so so unbalanced. It needs some kind of reversal system or the skinny ninja character is all people will be playing.

I got an abundance of free stuff which was nice including a special edition copy of Rift with 40 days play time from the nice ladys on the Trion Worlds stand. All in all a great experience but 10.00am tickets next year me thinks because the 11.00am queue was obscene.

• Whizzo 26 Sep 2011 18:46:47 43,352 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got first place with total destruction on my second go on Ridge Racer, I'm super awesome of course. Shame I could only get third on a later attempt after the win a t-shirt tweet appeared!

It's another Flatout in everything but name, which is good.

This space left intentionally blank.

• wideawakewesley 26 Sep 2011 20:24:36 5 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    wideawakewesley wrote:
    We'll have to agree to disagree on the quality of the video, but as a marketing gimmick, it worked for us.
    Ah, right - I didn't get that it was a marketing gimmick (d'oh). I just assumed that if you made something that nerdy you'd have a load of video on there or at least some kinda touch-screen interaction.

x-ray of your chest that you tap to pull the organs out operation-stylee or something...

If only we had the resources for that. I'll leave it up to the games companies to take the initial concept and run with it.

;)
  • warlockuk 26 Sep 2011 20:27:40 19,223 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh. 600 tshirt! I bet feckin' Insert Coin try that. Some mug'll buy it ;)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• davey_wells 26 Sep 2011 22:51:54 93 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone else play on the 3D F1 simulator on the Alienware stand??

Highlight of the show for me. Not even got a clue what game it was!
  • Page

of 16 First / Last