Rick Rubin - the greatest producer ever? Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Yuroko 7 Mar 2011 09:25:03 27 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Absolutely love the Johnny Cash American Recordings albums. They all sound amazing. I always thought RHCP Californication sounded like shit though. Album had no dynamics, just sounded flat. Alright album though I suppose.
  • kalel 15 Jan 2013 12:08:12 87,000 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    *BUMP*

Rubin producing the new original line-up Black Sabbath album!

http://www.ozzy.com/us/news/black-sabbath-13-due-out-june-2013
  • morriss 15 Jan 2013 12:28:35 70,943 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    andywilkie35 wrote:
    Blood Sugar Sex Magik makes him a great producer by default. The rest just back this up.
    this.
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Jan 2013 15:09:24 14,588 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Massive Rubin fan. Love his work with Public Enemy, Beasties and more rescent-ish Petty,Zz Top, Diamond et al and the brilliant Cash american recordings.

So looking forward to the new Sabbath...I'm listening to them a lot at the mo, awesome band in their pomp.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• nickthegun 15 Jan 2013 15:15:10 59,487 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its a testament to how much its in his blood that he still works after selling his half of Def Jam.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Trane 15 Jan 2013 15:19:28 4,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know this is pretty old now, but the answer to the question in the thread title is still an unequivocal 'Yes'.
  • MatMan562 16 Jan 2013 21:12:53 2,411 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Technically it's not the original line-up of Sabbath as Bill Ward isn't there.

Rick Rubin has produced some of the best records ever made but i've heard that he's supposed to be an arse and doesn't actually do much. That list would suggest that's either bullshit or he's just incredibly lucky.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• SilentTristero 16 Jan 2013 21:56:04 291 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Was looking for an album I'd genuinely consider to be a favourite of mine, and then remembered he 'did' De-loused in the Comatorium. Pretty much the only one, although a lot of great albums on there, obviously.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 16 Jan 2013 22:02:29 9,779 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Never knew he produced Deloused. Always thought ORL was too much of a control freak to bring someone like Rubin on board.

By The Way by RHCP was a triumph. Great album.

Edited by SuperCoolEskimo at 22:02:54 16-01-2013
  • QotSAfan 16 Jan 2013 22:20:57 1,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rubin excels at emphasising the vocals and their melody in the mix and consequently making an album more accessible.

My vote for greatest 'producer' would be Albini though.
  • Maturin 16 Jan 2013 22:55:48 2,959 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rubin is a brand rather than a real producer these days. He left Metallica alone and the shit they came up with was Death Magnetic. Awful production including distortion at the recording stage.

Sabbath should be better because Tony Iommi knows what he's doing and has essentially coproduced most of the band's output..
  • kalel 5 Jun 2013 12:29:24 87,000 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    New Black Sabbath is currently free to stream on iTunes.
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Jun 2013 12:33:38 14,588 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    New Black Sabbath is currently free to stream on iTunes.
    I'm awaiting the hard copy.
    Heard 2 tracks so far, excellent

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Zomoniac 5 Jun 2013 12:36:45 7,826 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How much of the sound engineering and mastering is a producer responsible for? There's some great stuff in there, but some things that stand out as shite. Californication, whilst I love the songs, is one of the worst sounding albums I've ever heard. And the drum sound on the first three System Of A Down albums is painful.
  • Rhaegyr 5 Jun 2013 12:55:20 1,586 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    He's an amazing producer no doubt, though the bands don't always do his production justice (especially recently).

I think my personal favourite will always be Brian Eno, though.
  • Alastair 5 Jun 2013 13:07:03 15,604 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    From creating Def Jam to rejuvinating Johnny Cash's career, this guy has imo the most varied and impressive discography ever.

I can almost guarantee that at least one of your favourite albums has been produced by him. An absolute legend.
    Wow for two things.
    1, that's an impressive list
    2, I only own 2 albums off that list... Licensed it Ill and Electric. Both are great!

Not as nice as I used to be

• Humperfunk 5 Jun 2013 13:38:45 2,125 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The best thing Rick Rubin has ever done is his debut production effort "The Pricks", by The Pricks.

I'd never even heard of it before seeing that list and it's definitely the best thing he's done.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Maturin 5 Jun 2013 13:46:41 2,959 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rubin is more of a brand than a producer these days. He does very little of the actual work and has sub-producers and engineers create the recordings. He'll listen to the results and suggest things, but he's become more of a guru than a producer.

And so bands that need a proper producer such as Metallica end up making a complete balls of things because there's no one really telling them what to do.

It seems more and more you pay a lot of money to put Rubin's name on your album without him contributing very much.
  • warlockuk 5 Jun 2013 15:32:57 19,148 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Was it Rubin who did the new Sabbath album? 'cos it sounds like he recorded the band and then let Ozzy record over the top Karaoke style from another studio where he couldn't punch the monkey controlling the fx / volume knob.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Maturin 5 Jun 2013 16:38:02 2,959 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Was it Rubin who did the new Sabbath album? 'cos it sounds like he recorded the band and then let Ozzy record over the top Karaoke style from another studio where he couldn't punch the monkey controlling the fx / volume knob.
    I doubt Rubin ever went near the desk during the whole recording of 13.
  • Deleted user 5 June 2013 16:42:24
    @warlockuk you like slagging off the new Sabbath album at every given opportunity.
  • warlockuk 6 Jun 2013 11:48:49 19,148 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Choppi don't be pathetic.
    I like slagging *everything* off at every given opportunity. :D

The first track released was just total wank until the last two minutes and the vocals just don't sound like they fit in.

I really enjoyed the article with Rick on the recording of the album, though. I don't think the album's really *that* shit; Ozzy was always going to be the awkward/weak point once Bill Ward was out.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• wizbob 6 Jun 2013 12:33:07 777 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Rubin earned his place in musical history with Def Jam (The Beastie Boys, Slayer & Public Enemy were the gateway to the 90s for me) and by shepherding Johnny Cash through the production of the American recordings. I'm suspicious about the role of a music producer though, especially given the lack of signature sound in that discography. Albini takes an engineering credit - that's tangible.
  • Deleted user 6 June 2013 13:47:21
    Electric by The Cult is one of my favourite albums. Quite a clean sound though - maybe a smidge overproduced. Still great though.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next