London House Buying Advice

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Feb 2011 13:14:39 17,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Paging the forums' Kirsty and Phil!

Anyway, my girlfriend and I are looking at moving out of rental accommodation and stepping onto the property ladder. I am wondering if you guys could recommend some good areas around the west side of London, north or south of the river, where two to three bedroom houses are somewhat affordable. Preferably it'd be nice to have a walk to the tube or train with links to central London.

We're in the Ealing area at the moment which we like and that's pretty much out of our range for houses with gardens and further out of London might be doable but our foray into Woking was far from inspiring. Just wondering if there are any good recommendations, recent conversations have suggested Wimbeldon and areas around there are pretty good. Essentially I think we just need some areas to go and view as although we know different bits of London it's not quite the same as knowing about decent areas to live in.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Phily50 5 Feb 2011 13:19:22 2,199 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's your price range mate?
  • coastal 5 Feb 2011 13:24:14 5,383 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Er Kingston is nice.. Too far out?

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Mr_Sleep 5 Feb 2011 13:27:41 17,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Price range is somewhere between 200k and 250k.

Kingston I suspect will be too expensive. I'm not against the idea of Kingston but I've pretty much written it off knowing what it's like down there. Same with Richmond, Kew and Twickenham. Although Twickenham might be okay, depending on the area.

• Razz 5 Feb 2011 13:31:28 61,210 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You could probably get something nice in the Balham area

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Phily50 5 Feb 2011 13:36:57 2,199 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good shout Razz. Or indeed have a look round Beckenham or Bromley area. Also not too sure on the current prices but take a look round Edgware/Canons Park/Stanmore area. Was nice when I lived there a couple years ago and not badly priced either.
  • SpaceDave3000 5 Feb 2011 13:37:40 78,225 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Out in the Middlesex area there are loads of places in that bracket. Ealing as you move towards Chelsea and Kensington would be upwards of 300k, but out towards Hillingdon, it's well within your grasp. Nice enough areas as well. Northolt is quite nice.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Mr_Sleep 5 Feb 2011 13:43:13 17,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's the thing, the area is pretty important to us really. The price is obviously important and transport links. So Balham is a decent area then? At least I'd only be around the corner too :-)

• Razz 5 Feb 2011 13:46:31 61,210 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Balham is lovely, also try Barnes and Putney. Ort if you want somoething more central. There are some lovely parts of Hammersmith you move to.

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Mr_Sleep 5 Feb 2011 13:47:36 17,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What's Northolt's transport connections like? I seem to recall it's a bit of a trek on the central line into the centre of town. I did wonder about Northolt actually as I've been up there before and it looked like a good area. Just as long as we stay away from the Greenford parts ;-)

• Mr_Sleep 5 Feb 2011 13:48:50 17,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Balham is lovely, also try Barnes and Putney. Ort if you want somoething more central. There are some lovely parts of Hammersmith you move to.

Yeah, I know Hammersmith pretty well but I just assume it's out of the range tbh. Might be worth a look. Putney is very expensive for the most part but then as one heads more towards Wandsworth it starts to come down in price a bit.

• Mr_Sleep 5 Feb 2011 18:07:43 17,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Little bumpity bump.

What's Morden like? Seems like there's some stuff down there in the price range.

• Deleted user 5 February 2011 18:14:11
    Crime levels are ok: http://www.police.uk/overview/?q=Morden,%20Greater%20London%20SM4,%20UK
  • kadooosh 5 Feb 2011 18:23:56 1,407 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Don't buy in London.
  • The-mods-all-smell 5 Feb 2011 18:28:48 15,531 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    I am wondering if you guys could recommend some good areas around the west side of London, north or south of the river, where two to three bedroom houses are somewhat affordable

Wales?

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• mal 5 Feb 2011 19:20:01 22,581 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's end of the line, meaning it's not too far from a nice bit of greenery. And end of the line down south west isn't as far out as it it north or west (the zones down here are closer together). Not a million miles from Wimbledon which is nice, but it's very quiet in comparison. Has some rough looking bits but I've never had any trouble round that way.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Mr_Sleep 5 Feb 2011 19:43:15 17,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    Wales?

I'm not heading back there for at least another twenty years.

Aargh, I did look at that police thing and it's pretty much the same as the area we're in at the moment so yeah, shouldn't be too bad from that point of view.

mal, good point about southness and distance downwards. Seems like the end of the line down there might be a good choice. I guess we'll just have to go and have a wander around some of the areas and see what they're about.

• matt6666 5 Feb 2011 19:44:08 2,620 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Buy low sell high..
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Feb 2011 19:44:56 17,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In London it's more of a case of buy high and cross your fingers you'll be able to sell higher.

• Jono62 5 Feb 2011 19:52:24 14,125 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    That's the thing, the area is pretty important to us really. The price is obviously important and transport links. So Balham is a decent area then? At least I'd only be around the corner too :-)

I live in Balham and its a good place to live. You have tube and overland nearby so there is always transport. Pubs are decent and the area is very calm. Not much in the way of crime and has become quite upmarket in recent years.

Arthur Smith lives here. Don't know if thats a good or bad thing though.
  • Jono62 5 Feb 2011 19:55:03 14,125 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also Morden is good, however, if you can, get a place in Wimbledon rather than Morden. Its a lot nicer.
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Feb 2011 19:59:30 17,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was looking at Balham earlier and it looks like it might be a bit out of our range for what we want. Might have to look a bit harder to make sure though.

I think Wimbledon will definitely be high on our list, it's been recommended quite a lot recently so I think that's the next place we'll check out.

• Gearskin 5 Feb 2011 20:03:24 2,045 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wimbledon is ace. The village end, especially.

I'd live there.
  • Jono62 5 Feb 2011 20:05:39 14,125 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The village end will be expensive.
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Feb 2011 10:58:36 17,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bump for the weekday crowd.

Wimbledon is still looking like a good shout as it goes. Need to figure out which hubs down there are decent. I was pondering using street view to have a look around but I'm not sure if that'll tell me anything.

• LeoliansBro 8 Feb 2011 11:01:33 44,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you can find a two/three bed house in Wimbledon Village for Ł250k I'll gazump the bollocks off you :)

I only do East London, sorry I can't help more.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• RyanDS 8 Feb 2011 11:04:49 9,388 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sutton is quite nice. Cheap houses, good transport links, low crime.

Bit of a boring place though.
  • Load_2.0 8 Feb 2011 11:05:22 19,296 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I support Balham and think Hammersmith is poo.

Wimbledon and twickenham are both OK and I think you will find a much nicer place there than say in zone 1-3.

2/3 bedrooms with good tube access will be tricky. I think. But I am not sure. I am fairly sure. Just not 100%. Ok. Good.
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Feb 2011 11:08:32 17,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh, Wimbledon Village is probably somewhere where 200k gets you a cupboard and a pot to piss in.

Sutton, eh? Might have a look at that.

Easy tube access isn't an absolute necessity, if anything I'd rather overground to the Wimbledon branch of the district line which is always fucked.

I've had a look at Balham prices and they're over budget by about 50k :-/

• Dougs 8 Feb 2011 11:10:37 67,802 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd also recommend Streatham Hill (as opposed to Streatham Itself). Short bus ride to Bricko, 15 mins into Victoria on the train. Clapham and Balham on your doorstep. Loved living there.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous