Revolution in the middle east Page 66

• Page

of 84 First / Last

• Load_2.0 14 Jun 2013 09:50:33 19,149 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So the CIA will distribute weapons and train the "Rebels" in Syria.

History has shown that always ends well.
  • mcmonkeyplc 14 Jun 2013 09:53:30 39,440 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Syria to be invaded in 2030 confirmed.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• senso-ji 14 Jun 2013 09:59:07 5,855 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just irresponsible from the US. Given the history of western 'military assistance' in the middle east you'd think they'd have a firmer grasp on the implications. But hey, Senators need their arms manufacturer friends help push profits up, so why not help escalate a civil war here and there?
  • RedSparrows 14 Jun 2013 10:22:47 22,315 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It'll work if they don't down tools the minute Assad goes.*

*Possibly.
  • mcmonkeyplc 14 Jun 2013 10:35:44 39,440 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I still think nuking the entire planet is the best way to deal with this.

:p

Come and get it cumslingers!

• fletch7100 16 Jun 2013 20:23:43 7,227 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A task force of 300 US Marines has been deployed on the Syrian border rumoured to be helping with the arms shipment to the Syrian rebels

Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
  • unicorn69 16 Jun 2013 20:28:05 81 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Syria is a strategic location. There will be a war and everyone knew it.

Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

• FWB 16 Jun 2013 20:30:40 44,268 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The new Iranian government likely to reach out?
  • El_MUERkO 16 Jun 2013 21:07:42 16,975 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Syria is now beyond saving. It's the war Sunni and Shia nut bars have been wanting for decades.
  • unicorn69 16 Jun 2013 22:27:09 81 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    just a interesting story If this is really true than Syria migth be the next Iraq.

Edited by unicorn69 at 22:27:41 16-06-2013

Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

• OptimusPube 16 Jun 2013 22:30:33 2,960 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Daily Mail lol.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• Deleted user 26 June 2013 10:18:55
    Meanwhile, in Qatar, the 61-year old Emir makes way for his 33-year old son.

Unexpected and rather mysterious.

The new Emir is a football fan.

Sheik Tamim's Qatar Sports Investments owns 70 percent of the football club Paris Saint-Germain.
  • Deleted user 3 July 2013 20:25:33
    Any one watching the news? Miltary Coup De-Tat in Egypt.

Chief of justice takes presidential powers, interim government to take its place before new elections
  • MrDigital 3 Jul 2013 20:51:56 1,866 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wasn't convinced this would happen, blimey.

Not sure how I feel about this. Morsi was democratically elected... Equally, the protests in Egypt now are larger than they were during the initial revolution, one could argue that although "official" forms of democracy were subverted, that the raw people power has prevailed in a democratic way.

What now? Genuinely no idea.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• RunningMan 16 Jul 2013 10:22:24 2,396 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd vote for this kid. Interview with a 12 year old egyptian kid who has a remarkable grasp on the situation.
  • ResidentKnievel 14 Aug 2013 15:30:11 6,181 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At least 95 anti-government protesters killed in Egypt

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 15:32:06 14-08-2013

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Deleted user 22 August 2013 10:01:56
    Behind the scenes stands the Al-Saud:

Why Saudi Arabia is taking a risk by backing the Egyptian coup

Prince Bandar has also been to Moscow. Being on opposite sides of the civil war in Syria (the kingdom is seeking the fall of Bashar al-Assad, who Russia supports militarily) was no impediment to a productive visit. Both sides agreed to keep the oil price high, found common ground in their hatred for the Muslim Brotherhood, whom top Russian Arabists in the ministry of foreign affairs equate with Islamic extremists. Russia feels it has every reason to fear political Islam, with a population of indigenous Muslims from the Caucasus, which is rising as a proportion of the Russian Federation's total population, and expected to hit 19m or 14% of the population by 2020. "Are you mad?" an MFA official told his US counterpart "to support the guys with beards over the guys with ties?".
  • LetsGo 25 Aug 2013 09:03:47 5,184 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can someone help me understand?!

I get that chemical weapons are not nice at all however, what's the difference of this bloke using chemical weapons against his own people compared with using guns and bombs? Both kill people and both are terrible.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 25 Aug 2013 09:31:03 37,849 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Assuming they're using mustard gas, as that appears to be the chemical weapon of choice in situations like this, then you're looking at a gas that will cover a much larger area than a bomb. Mustard gas causes blistering and burning of the lungs (and the lovely effects that come with that like fluid build up in the lungs and destruction of mucus membranes), it will cause severe chemical burns on the skin and eyes, over time it melts fat (body fat!) and to top it all off it's carcinogenic.

That stuff sticks around a good long while too, so when you're dropping it on a civilian area you're really going to do some damage. That's why there's always an international outcry when they're used.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• LetsGo 25 Aug 2013 09:35:20 5,184 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • LetsGo 25 Aug 2013 09:35:20 5,184 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks Tom.

IMO killing innocent people is killing innocent people, shouldn't matter if its mustard gas or a hand pistol.

Yes, it's worse but it's still bad.
  • Maturin 25 Aug 2013 09:55:02 2,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Can someone help me understand?!

I get that chemical weapons are not nice at all however, what's the difference of this bloke using chemical weapons against his own people compared with using guns and bombs? Both kill people and both are terrible.
    It partly comes from its early uses in conflicts such as WW1. There's always been some unspoken code of what is sporting and unsporting in war (daft though that is). Also weapons that maim rather than kill have been looked down upon. Yes you can kill your enemy, but using weapons that make him suffer is a no no.

Edited by Maturin at 09:56:00 25-08-2013
  • LetsGo 25 Aug 2013 09:58:37 5,184 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So using bombs and guns don't make people or their families suffer?! Not deliberately trolling or being pedantic, just amazes me that now it's chemical weapons, only now are we thinking of getting more involved.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 25 Aug 2013 10:01:30 37,849 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gas is much more inprecice as well. It has the tendency to be bloiwn around you see.

So you're looking at a weapon that will kill lots of people in an agonising manner, but then also maim and injure many many more people outside of that radius in a similarly painful fashion. People affected by gas can often be in agony for the rest of their lives. Imagine having 3rd degree burns on your lungs.And they've just dropped several payloads of that stuff of sleeping civilians. Families with children.

Edited by MrTomFTW at 10:03:25 25-08-2013

• Maturin 25 Aug 2013 10:05:48 2,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    So using bombs and guns don't make people or their families suffer?! Not deliberately trolling or being pedantic, just amazes me that now it's chemical weapons, only now are we thinking of getting more involved.
    Oh they do make them suffer,

But I'm talking directly of open traditional warfare here. So soldiers tend to use weaponry designed to kill. Artillery and bullets of sufficient calibre to get the job done. These are traditionally seen as playing fair. This kind of thing goes back a long way to the Napoleon era and beyond where there really were sporting ideals in warfare.

There have been plenty of weapons systems that are more likely to maim - such as battlefield lasers (to destroy sight), flechettes, land mines etc. that generally soldiers are not keen to use, for fear their enemy would.
  • Rodriguez 25 Aug 2013 15:49:48 1,092 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MrTomFTW

From what I've read and seen on the news, I think it's been implied that Nerve Gas (Sarin, I think) has been used and not Mustard Gas (though they apparently have large stockpiles in Syria), the former being far deadlier if your aim is to outright kill people.

The points you make about Mustard Gas are sadly all too true though. My parents told me stories about my Liverpudlian Great Grandfather, who had been burned by that stuff during WW1. He hadn't managed to get all his gear on properly during an attack and the gas burned him around the upper chest/neck area, though he was lucky to have just about got his gas mask on before potentially inhaling it, others weren't so lucky :(. There was a large sore on his neck for the rest of his life though because of that despicable stuff.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 25 Aug 2013 16:30:56 37,849 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well if it's Saren then no wonder they're about to receive an international arse-kicking then. Deploying WMDs on your own population is generally frowned upon.

• CaptainKerbal 25 Aug 2013 16:49:13 365 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The other implication is that, if it is being used, then that means Syrian military leaders have battlefield access, the agents are not secured somewhere but are accessible.

Anyone with enough determination can potentially get them. And use them. Imagine sarin in a western city in peacetime conditions in November. Death toll would be thousands, economic damage running into billions, and the retaliation apocalyptic. 9/11 would look like a minor emergency.

The chances are not high it would happen, ever, but if the stories are true then style field use edges the possibility closer.

I honestly think a military strike is now inevitable, probably cruise missiles and air strikes, no boots on the ground other than "advisors" - remove Assad's air superiority and he's gone.
  • Deleted user 25 August 2013 17:23:10
    Gas in general is nasty shit and it's use is frowned upon because it's a "dirty" way of killing/maiming people.

This entire conflict could be ended rather quickly if the western military hit a few choice targets with cruise missiles and precision air strikes, that tends to knock the will to fight out of any regime. The use of nerve gas on civilians would be justification enough for that at this stage.
  • NBZ 25 Aug 2013 18:51:32 2,371 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RunningMan wrote:
    I'd vote for this kid. Interview with a 12 year old egyptian kid who has a remarkable grasp on the situation.
    Going back to this. This was back in October, before Morsi eevn had done anything. Inititally the military had stripped him of all power, and he had just about got to a position when you could actually call him a president as opposed to a figurehead.

Just because a kid says it doesn't mean that its truthful analysis - he will regurgitate what he has been told.
  • Page

of 84 First / Last