The UK General Politics Thread Page 3

• Page

of 228 First / Last

• Deleted user 14 April 2011 18:06:49
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    Most of the budget deficit was caused by us buying huge shares in the banks, right?

And the share prices of the bits we own are rising much slower then our interest repayments, right?

So why don't we start the job now of selling it all back to the private sector. I'm sure we'd find buyers.

The quicker we do this the better, surely, as we're losing money every day we hold onto those shares.

1. Right, mainly. Ridiculous spending in other areas hasn't helped.
    2. Not really. If timed correctly then we would make a profit, however...
    3. Supply and demand - as the Government sells then the price may decrease to a less good position
    4. No. see 3.

The reasoning behind why the government chooses to sell would also have a wider impact, might be good, might be bad.
  • Deleted user 14 April 2011 18:07:26
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    Full quote from the BNP

It's cynical opportunism, isn't it? It's almost like a ceremonial adoption of our policy about two weeks before any major vote. In other words, [Cameron] knows what ordinary British people are thinking. He completely ignores that until two weeks before a major poll and then all of a sudden starts pressing a few buttons to try and make people believe he's actually doing something about immigration. It's a farce, it's a con, and if we had copyright on our manifesto we'd have our lawyers round his office within hours.

Can't copyright an idea.
  • RedSparrows 14 Apr 2011 18:28:51 23,879 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wish that the confusion about immigration wasn't mistaken for 'clear and critical thinking on the part of the public in regards to immigration'.

• RichieTenenbaum 14 Apr 2011 20:34:37 2,226 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    Most of the budget deficit was caused by us buying huge shares in the banks, right?

And the share prices of the bits we own are rising much slower then our interest repayments, right?

So why don't we start the job now of selling it all back to the private sector. I'm sure we'd find buyers.

The quicker we do this the better, surely, as we're losing money every day we hold onto those shares.

1. Right, mainly. Ridiculous spending in other areas hasn't helped.
    2. Not really. If timed correctly then we would make a profit, however...
    3. Supply and demand - as the Government sells then the price may decrease to a less good position
    4. No. see 3.

The reasoning behind why the government chooses to sell would also have a wider impact, might be good, might be bad.

We wouldn't sell them all at once. But shouldn't there be some kind of public plan to at least start?
  • spamdangled 14 Apr 2011 20:37:38 27,426 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    Full quote from the BNP

It's cynical opportunism, isn't it? It's almost like a ceremonial adoption of our policy about two weeks before any major vote. In other words, [Cameron] knows what ordinary British people are thinking. He completely ignores that until two weeks before a major poll and then all of a sudden starts pressing a few buttons to try and make people believe he's actually doing something about immigration. It's a farce, it's a con, and if we had copyright on our manifesto we'd have our lawyers round his office within hours.

It's almost like Cable knew what he was talking about when he said Cameron was risking stoking the fires of the extremists.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• lucky_jim 14 Apr 2011 20:46:00 5,334 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

We aren't american!

It's 10 billion!

GTFO it's trillion. Our billion is retarded.

EG is based in Brighton, which is a city in the UK. My country my numbers!

YOU GTFO!

I know I'm going to annoy everyone with my pedantry here, but the UK started legally and officially using the "US" billion some time in the 1970s. What we think of as a "British" billion is actually mainly used in the French-speaking world now (possibly some others, I'm less certain there though). Just to really confuse matters, both definitions are originally French.
  • spamdangled 14 Apr 2011 20:47:57 27,426 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was always taught that another 3 zeroes grades it up. So six zeroes is a million, 9 is a billion, 12 a trillion, etc.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• lucky_jim 14 Apr 2011 20:51:30 5,334 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not sure what's used in maths, never been my strong point: but I know for the purposes of business and government we've not used the (mis-named) "British" version of a billion since the seventies. I had to research this for a style guide (writing, not fashion!) I was writing once, and while I wish I could permanently expunge it from my mind, it's stuck.
  • richarddavies 18 Apr 2011 10:13:31 2,841 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've just got a general question that popped in my head the other day that I was hoping a more "schooled" member of Eurogamer could answer. Im aware of the reasons for the cuts that are being made left right and centre and I agree that they should be made but it's more the ferocity of the cuts and the time limit im questioning. The cuts have been made in line so that the debt should be gone before the next election. Is that time limit for anyones benefit other than Cameron? It just seems like ALOT of people are losing the jobs and national services are losing alot of funding to make sure the debt is gone within 5 years. Couldn't the debt just of been stretched out over 10 years, 15 years? and probably saved alot of jobs and heartache in the process? I just can't think of anyone apart from the conservatives gaining from getting rid of the debt in such a heavy handed way.
  • RichieTenenbaum 18 Apr 2011 10:17:52 2,226 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    richarddavies wrote: The cuts have been made in line so that the debt should be gone before the next election.

No they're not.

They're trying to lower the deficit, not the debt. The debt is how much we owe. The deficit is how much we're spending more then we take in every year.

And we won't get anyway near wiping out the deficit before the next election.
  • richarddavies 18 Apr 2011 10:33:01 2,841 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ahh shit bags, bad wording on my part. Your right. I meant "THE DEFICIT" Dun nun nuuuuun.
  • spamdangled 18 Apr 2011 10:57:11 27,426 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The speed of the cuts isn't to eliminate the deficit, that's just a nice byproduct. He wants to dismantle the state. That's why he wants it all done before the next election, because it's unlikely the tories will survive past one term. He wants to achieve in one parliament what Thatcher didn't quite manage in over a decade.

• disusedgenius 18 Apr 2011 11:07:04 5,528 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dismantle is a bit strong. Cut back is a bit less hyperbololistic.
  • spamdangled 18 Apr 2011 11:09:04 27,426 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How about calling it a "crash diet"?

• LionheartDJH 18 Apr 2011 11:11:24 19,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dismantle the state? Haha, darkmorgado in talking bollocks shocker!

She dives for cheese pasties

• disusedgenius 18 Apr 2011 11:13:32 5,528 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    How about calling it a "crash diet"?
    Probably accurate, I'm sure we'd end up piling it all back on as soon as the fad is over.
  • LionheartDJH 18 Apr 2011 11:16:54 19,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    StarMagic wrote:
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    Yeah, it was crap. I was expecting OJ style hijinks but was left bitterly disappointed.

Another one to add to you're unbelievable taste pile.

That was a joke SM, I have neither read TKAMB or seen the movie. Would like to watch the movie at some point though, looks quite interesting.

She dives for cheese pasties

• RichieTenenbaum 18 Apr 2011 11:26:55 2,226 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah. And avoid any conversation along the lines of "But, wait, the country can also raise revenue"
  • spamdangled 18 Apr 2011 11:27:05 27,426 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The state definitely needs a diet, but Cameron is risking giving it anorexia.

• RichieTenenbaum 18 Apr 2011 11:29:13 2,226 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't think our state is overstuffed.

Of course there's waste. But there's always going to be waste. There is in any organisation. I laugh when people say it's a public sector thing. I worked for a big corporation for a year and the waste and levels of bureaucracy there was incredible. It was almost designed so no one could get anything done.
  • spamdangled 18 Apr 2011 11:31:20 27,426 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I see "No to AV" campaign are stooping to a new low by wheeling out the old "winston churchill once said" standby for a quick quote.

• Youthist 18 Apr 2011 11:35:46 10,057 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We need Aargh in here for some more DM ownage

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• richarddavies 18 Apr 2011 11:35:48 2,841 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    The state definitely needs a diet, but Cameron is risking giving it anorexia.

But Anorexia is a disease. And that needs alot of thereapy to help and hopefully cure. Are you saying we need thereapy?.......Wait, what are we talking about?
  • spamdangled 18 Apr 2011 11:37:59 27,426 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    We need Aargh in here for some more DM ownage

Who rattled your cage?

• Youthist 18 Apr 2011 11:39:02 10,057 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just get irritated by you continually spouting misinformed, naive political nonsense as fact. I apologise :-)

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• RichieTenenbaum 18 Apr 2011 11:39:19 2,226 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    darkmorgado, you're talking shit, mate. Total shit.
  • disusedgenius 18 Apr 2011 11:39:54 5,528 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I see "No to AV" campaign are stooping to a new low by wheeling out the old "winston churchill once said" standby for a quick quote.
    You actually think that's worse than the 'ARMOUR FOR OUR BOYS NOT REFORM' posters?
  • spamdangled 18 Apr 2011 11:41:57 27,426 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    I just get irritated by you continually spouting misinformed, naive political nonsense as fact. I apologise :-)

And I get tired of you pouncing on me every two seconds without provocation, no matter what the subject.

• Page

of 228 First / Last