The UK General Politics Thread Page 97

• Page

of 253 First / Last

• Dougs 4 May 2013 14:09:40 69,464 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We wouldn't be part of the EU under UKIP silly.
  • RobTheBuilder 4 May 2013 14:12:21 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was presuming they weren't big enough to actually take us out of Europe. God help us if ever that happens.
  • FWB 4 May 2013 14:43:06 45,554 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like UKIP. They are creating a database of the fucktards I'm going to ship to the Falklands when I take power.
  • spamdangled 4 May 2013 14:46:09 27,441 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Hah, otto just retweeted this:

Oh sweet jesus.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 4 May 2013 14:49:17 27,441 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    xuiton wrote:
    402 comments, have you read them all? so you fail to explain given my history. Of course if I had a history of posting in the forums, it would make more sense, try again.
    So because I post in the forums means I don't read the front page and the comments there? Riiiight.

Besides, people other than me on the thread have already pointed out the idiocy in your comment posts.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• senso-ji 4 May 2013 15:53:48 6,038 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think UKIP is a flash in the pan; their policies seem to entice a demographic of society that's getting smaller with each passing year. I doubt whether most people under 50 and not living in upper middle class England voted for them.
  • DaM 4 May 2013 16:40:41 13,520 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    I think UKIP is a flash in the pan; their policies seem to entice a demographic of society that's getting smaller with each passing year. I doubt whether most people under 50 and not living in upper middle class England voted for them.
    But they've forced the Tories to promise a proper referendum on leaving the EU. If The Sun and The Daily Mail get behind that.....
  • RobTheBuilder 4 May 2013 17:02:17 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The problem is so many people think of themselves as being more upper class than they are. I think a large part of this is a protest vote. I haven't seen the turnout figures but I can imagine neither labour or Tories particularly inspired their voters to turn up, which always helps protest parties.
  • senso-ji 4 May 2013 17:03:28 6,038 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Tories have a lot of backbenchers who want out of Europe, not sure it was just UKIP that forced Cameron's hand.
  • FWB 4 May 2013 17:11:48 45,554 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wonder how many migrants back UKIP? Many can be very conservative and look to squash any potential threat to their lives in a new country. That, of course, is other migrants.
  • RobTheBuilder 4 May 2013 17:13:01 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @senso-ji UKIP made it harder for him to ignore the backbench nutters
  • Bremenacht 4 May 2013 18:06:49 19,637 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think to call UKIP votes protest votes is a bit premature. If you've given up on the party you've probably followed most of your life, who do you vote for next? Something similar, I'd suggest.

Call them racists, bigots etc all you like, but they're picking up momentum now and cannot be dismissed.

Of course, they're bound to shoot themselves in the foot sooner or later.
  • Deleted user 4 May 2013 18:15:39
    Its all the media and big parties fault. We're meant to be sorting the economy out, but time and time again we shove immigration into the picture. The stats show the numbers are almost meaningless, but we still insist on painting a picture that doesn;t need painting and far from reality.
  • spamdangled 4 May 2013 20:11:46 27,441 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Of course, they're bound to shoot themselves in the foot sooner or later.
    They've been shooting themselves in the foot for a while now, to be fair.

• spamdangled 4 May 2013 22:46:49 27,441 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Senior Tory MP and deputy speaker arrested on suspicion of male rape and sexual assault

This is going to be huge.

Edited by darkmorgado at 22:47:20 04-05-2013

• El_MUERkO 4 May 2013 23:03:09 17,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Senior Tory MP and deputy speaker arrested on suspicion of male rape and sexual assault

This is going to be huge.
    that's what he said ... through the ball-gag
  • spamdangled 4 May 2013 23:51:01 27,441 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Will be very interesting to see how the Tory party responds to all this and how it develops. It's not just one guy, it's two. So unless the two are connected to each other, it's hard to imagine that it's one of those "I'm going to ruin you for my 5 minutes of fame" thing. So far only 1 MP (mine, who is fucking useless and does nothing for his constituents) has spoken up in his defense. That said, it's very early days yet so I'm sure more will come out during the week ahead.

• Deleted user 4 May 2013 23:52:31
    Hasn't been convicted yet so should probably hold off condemning.
  • spamdangled 5 May 2013 04:08:10 27,441 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I did just pretty much say that dude when I said "it's early days yet".

And fwiw, I actually have always quite liked the deputy speaker.

Edited by darkmorgado at 04:08:39 05-05-2013

• thelzdking 8 May 2013 18:22:01 4,413 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Presumably they were afraid she would defect to UKIP.

Anyone with a spine would've told her to fuck off forever. The Tory party is pathetic whenever it comes to addressing its internal problems. It's probably why they've been mounting up for decades.
  • Retroid Moderator 8 May 2013 18:51:22 45,309 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    She's a cartoon Tory utterly oblivious to facts. So yes, they were probably terrified a "known" Tory from TVland would defect.
  • Moot_Point 9 May 2013 12:22:08 4,592 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    "upper-middle class"?

Deluded individuals?

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• glaeken 9 May 2013 13:04:40 11,261 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would think UKIP has a lot of working class support. It's where I most often hear the statement of “foreigners coming over here and stealing our jobs” expressed.

Upper middle class types actually are not really effected by this and it probably means they can just get their house remodelled more cheaply. If anyone really is losing out to foreigners stealing jobs it's really going to be people at the bottom of the employment market in the main.
  • Moot_Point 9 May 2013 13:29:52 4,592 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There it is again, "upper-middle class". W.T.F? :p

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• President_Weasel 9 May 2013 13:30:45 9,656 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I would think UKIP has a lot of working class support. It's where I most often hear the statement of “foreigners coming over here and stealing our jobs” expressed.

Upper middle class types actually are not really effected by this and it probably means they can just get their house remodelled more cheaply. If anyone really is losing out to foreigners stealing jobs it's really going to be people at the bottom of the employment market in the main.
    It's "jerbs".

People are idiots and can easily be persuaded to vote against their best interests by use of one or two hot button issues (and lies). Hopefully UKIP will be a flash in the pan that mostly serves to split the right wing vote like the SDP split the left* and gave Thatcher an easy ride.

(*on the other hand, the SDPs policies were less idiotic, so maybe labour's stubborn refusal to move towards the centre created the SDP and split the vote, who's to say?)
  • glaeken 9 May 2013 13:43:11 11,261 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If UKIP do split the right wing vote that will be Ok. Except of course that means the rise of the Millipede. On balance though I guess wishy washy Millipede might be better than pure evil. It's just pure evil could do with a better balance than I supposed I don't hate that guy quite as much as the other lot.

Edited by glaeken at 13:43:26 09-05-2013
  • Deleted user 9 May 2013 13:56:54
    President_Weasel wrote:
    glaeken wrote:

It's "jerbs".

People are idiots and can easily be persuaded to vote against their best interests by use of one or two hot button issues (and lies). Hopefully UKIP will be a flash in the pan that mostly serves to split the right wing vote like the SDP split the left* and gave Thatcher an easy ride.

(*on the other hand, the SDPs policies were less idiotic, so maybe labour's stubborn refusal to move towards the centre created the SDP and split the vote, who's to say?)
    Just going by a selling newspapers - alot of over 50's in our area buy the mail or the express. I know its all ancedontal, alot of them don't like change, and do blame issues on the typical mail baiting headlines they produce on a daily basis.

They're old and cranky and frankly society has changed so quickly in their lifetime, they feel alienated. Some of the old cranky bastards i have to talk to on a daily basis and some of the stuff they come out with is right wing rhetoric that ukip is good at keeping in the minds of the electorate. Some of them are great people but they do have an old world view that only the tories or UKIP are trying to hang on to.
  • imamazed 9 May 2013 14:03:44 5,948 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "a lot" is not one word
  • glaeken 9 May 2013 14:03:46 11,261 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You do wonder if you could make the Mail disappear over night what a positive impact it would have on the country. I know a few older folks that read it and they all swallow the bullshit hook line and sinker. It's just perfectly aimed at old folk who want to believe the world has all turned to shit since their day.
  • Dougs 9 May 2013 14:15:00 69,464 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They know their market, that's for sure.
  • Page

of 253 First / Last