Sleeping Dogs Page 33

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• Zizoo 6 Sep 2012 14:20:27 8,274 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Face level is easy to raise. I was level 10 with about 10 favors and a few races to go.

I managed to get to level 10 Triad as well. It's all about the outfits.
  • urban 6 Sep 2012 14:48:13 10,940 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, how good is it?
  • Zizoo 6 Sep 2012 14:51:48 8,274 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ilovechips

That is strange. Maybe they were moves he got via Jade Statues?
  • 1Dgaf 6 Sep 2012 14:52:18 3,798 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Ilovechips

If you allow people to buy boosts for XP, then there's no gameplay reason for XP in the game.

If you can skip it or use a shortcut, then it's optional in gameplay.

And if developers have a financial incentive to make things slightly harder to get, it may skew game design.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, but the issue is more complex than 'If people have they money, let them buy XP'.

Devs aren't doing the consumer a favour by giving the chance to buy something that wasn't necessary in the first place.

I understand people like unlocks and that they can be profitable. If so, make them cosmetic. But XP and money actually affect the game (which has leaderboards to boot).

EDIT:

I haven't found all the outfits yet. They get very expensive, too.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 14:54:42 06-09-2012

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• Deckard1 6 Sep 2012 14:55:06 27,671 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What the hell are you on about?

Hush you ponce

• 1Dgaf 6 Sep 2012 15:07:47 3,798 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Sleeping-Dogs/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80253510811?cid=search

• Deckard1 6 Sep 2012 15:10:46 27,671 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok but anything on there you can earn yourself, so whats the problem? They're just short cuts for people if they want them. I really don't understand why you would be annoyed by this?

Hush you ponce

• StarchildHypocrethes 6 Sep 2012 15:16:00 25,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OUTRAGE

If you don't think it's necessary, don't buy it. No-one's forcing you.
  • Mr-Brett 6 Sep 2012 15:18:10 12,758 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As far as I know there's no proof that the game was designed to require dlc purchases and most people (well me and just about everyone in this thread) have done fine without them. Yes is almost impossible to get level 10 triad in one playthrough but that's hardly indicative of nefarious actions on the part of the developers. Games requiring multiple playthroughs to get everything is not exactly unheard of.

As for allowing people to get more stuff quicker by buying dlc harming the consumer, I don't see how. It's a bit shitty but since there's no actual reason to think it's required then it's completely optional. If there was competitive multiplayer then sure, it'd be harmful to the other players. The leaderboards are pretty throw away and if you care about achievements then you have bigger issues than this :)

I'm not saying this kind of thing isn't an issue, it's a messy complex situation with potential to cause a lot of damage to consumer trust in the industry (already there's a building distrust/dislike of developers in general). I just don't think this is the game to have the discussion about, check out the mobile sector for truly disgusting business models.

Portable view - Never forget.

• 1Dgaf 6 Sep 2012 15:33:11 3,798 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it's a fair discussion for all games that do it. In some ways it's more understandable from SD given its development issues - I'm glad the game is out and I hope it gets a sequel.

As you say it is a complex situation. And may not seem relevant or even worth discussing to some, but we see its done to full extent in things like ME3 which is full of dubious unlocks and extra content that people feel is questionable.

AAA titles are taking their leads from mobile games in this respect. We're edging towards a peculiar mix of full-price freemium.

I'm not against DLC, I'm not against companies making money. I understand that big budgets mean big risks. But we just have to be a bit cautious.

On a different topic, I'd argue that if a game has a leaderboard - that is a networked system that compares rank and score, it's a multiplayer game.

• Deleted user 6 September 2012 15:33:50
    @mr-brett

I had a problem of levelling up my triad score after beating the game, and had earlier had issues with falling through the road because of a flakey hard drive. After beating the main campaign installed an SSD drive and was doing fine levelling up the triad score, but after the game hung while replaying mission 2(iirc) I accidentally leapt to my death instead of beating the villain and getting arrested. I couldn't get my triad score to move regardless of mission score. And the “high speed” event kept showing up no matter how many times I beat it.

Checking the sleeping dogs forum suggested deleting the installation files and reinstalling.

When it prompted to patch the game on reinstall, I ignored the prompt and just installed normally, left the game to reach the title menu, quit the game at the title menu, reloaded, downloaded/applied the patch this time(and didn't download the free DLC this time from psn), and everything had fixed itself, and it took me a few hours to get the platinum.

edit: typos

Edited by vizzini at 15:37:00 06-09-2012
  • chrisno21 6 Sep 2012 15:56:27 1,492 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm drawing to the end with a couple missions left, my fave is 10 my cop is 10 and my triad is 9.2 - seems I've managed to get 10 in one playthrough unless I cock up the last couple missions triad xp wise. there is zero need to buy the extra packs, money, face and cop perks are very easy to get, both were maxed with drug busts left to do and half the races left. Triad is harder to max because it's all about mixing up the combos/environmentals/counters to max the XP.

Cracking game - never too hard just focuses on fun, which for someone as put-off by silly difficulty spikes as me is a good thing.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Mr-Brett 6 Sep 2012 15:56:57 12,758 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @1Dgaf Ok fair points but I maintain that the dlc is not required in this case. Yeah we shouldn't dismiss it in any case but it's such a big issue that it really deserves to be discussed in a more general sense, probably in it's own thread.

I have no desire to get into the semantics of the word multiplayer but I did specify "competitive".

• 1Dgaf 6 Sep 2012 16:52:03 3,798 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sure, I don't want to get into semantics either. It just struck me as I was playing, that if there's a leaderboard there's competition. It doesn't matter if we're playing at the same time; a bit like athletics is competitive in that there are records to broken, but that might have been set a while ago.

• Mr-Brett 6 Sep 2012 16:58:23 12,758 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's true, I may be allowing my personal apathy towards leaderboards to influence things. Leaderboards are of course competitive and I was thinking more of more direct multiplayer but leaderboards are their own little meta-game. Do people care much about them? especially in the context of a game like this. How does the XP purchase stuff affect them then?

• 1Dgaf 6 Sep 2012 17:36:12 3,798 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think people like leaderboard stuff. That's what score attack games are; it's why people used to spend cash in arcade machines. Get your three initials on the 'board.

In this, I'm not sure how much it affects it. All we can say for certain, is that if the score somehow relates to XP or money, then it is affected. (Is chaining combos easier if I get access to moves more quickly? Do I do bigger jumps in faster cars? There are lots of stats and challenges in the menus.)

But to figure all that out you end up doing mental gymanstics to work out what the interplay of things is, whether leaderboard positions are valid, temporary etc.

I like things simple. Everyone earns things in the same way. No exceptions.

• Mr-Brett 6 Sep 2012 17:48:55 12,758 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well I think we can agree that the impact is fairly minor here. The XP and money doesn't allow you to get anything you can't get normally anyway so at most it'll allow someone to get a headstart on the leaderboards.

• Mr-Brett 6 Sep 2012 18:09:15 12,758 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You know I was just thinking to myself "Why don't I have a pork bun in my hand?"

• 1Dgaf 6 Sep 2012 20:24:25 3,798 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes, but in competitive terms I think it makes the leaderboard at best confusing and at worst meaningless.

I think I'd be ok with this stuff if you could have matchmaking and leaderboards in games that grouped paid and non-paying players. That way people get their fun but always on the same playing field.

• 1Dgaf 6 Sep 2012 21:11:14 3,798 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In other news, this game has helped me decided something. If I ever with the Euromillions lottery, I'm going to have colour-matched clothes and cars.

Even when I nick cars in the game, I try to steal one that works with what I'm wearing.

• mikeck 6 Sep 2012 23:01:46 1,932 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You guys may already know this...but I've only just discovered with ONE COLLECTIBLE remaining, that after completing all the dates you can view collectibles on the map by toggling with one of the buttons. It shows you were everything is, and also if you have collected them if you highlight the icon.

Frigging great use to me NOW! Sigh, why was this feature hidden. Would have been really helpful a bit earlier on :)
  • Zappanale 6 Sep 2012 23:47:37 83 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I just finished the game- including jobs and collectibles, but not including the, er, medals/trophies, whatever they're called. I probably will give them a shot, just so I can get the steam achievements,
  • Mark1412 6 Sep 2012 23:58:40 519 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm playing this on the PC and it's beautiful! Might be that I've been a console-only pleb for the last six years but I've spent more time staring at wet roads than I have driving this evening.

• dogbot 7 Sep 2012 13:44:48 2,272 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mikeck wrote:

Frigging great use to me NOW! Sigh, why was this feature hidden. Would have been really helpful a bit earlier on :)
    It wasn't "hidden", if you'd done the appropriate missions, you'd have seen it earlier...
  • mikeck 7 Sep 2012 14:03:09 1,932 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dogbot wrote:
    mikeck wrote:

It wasn't "hidden", if you'd done the appropriate missions, you'd have seen it earlier...
    Pedant.

What I meant was, once I'd completed the missions it was never signposted to me that this feature was unlocked.

I didn't expect it from the start (as what would be the point), but it was never highlighted once I had unlocked the feature. No point in a feature if you're not going to explain it's there! ;)
  • 1Dgaf 7 Sep 2012 14:03:33 3,798 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SOmehow I'd missed that you can replay the Triad missions. I decided to play a few for fun and to get my Triad XP up. But no matter what I try, the XP just goes up in dribs and drabs. I've tried variations on melee kills, counters, different attacks, shooting tyres, then drivers, drivers then cars.

Any tips? I've got the 15% extra XP suit on too. I'm not bothered about the cop XP since I've maxed that, but I've only done 50% of the total Triad unlocks. Am at 70% in story mode.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 14:04:01 07-09-2012

• dogbot 7 Sep 2012 14:03:51 2,272 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh. When I completed each of those missions, it was announced in the box that appears in the top left as part of the mission round up. :)
  • Page

of 40 First / Last