Sleeping Dogs Page 38

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• crashVoodoo 13 Mar 2013 00:55:56 3,961 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Syrette thanks for that. Not noticed the sale, and i have loads of spare points from my birthday last year.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Syrette 13 Mar 2013 08:52:11 43,744 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No worries.

• MIckelsenWhiteLTD 16 Mar 2013 21:14:49 57 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've just played the first three hours or so of this on PS3 and it's pretty horrible. I doubt I'll return to Hong Kong any time soon.

The story's pretty good so far, really enjoyed the fighting but the driving is woeful, some of the character animations border on the disturbing (for example Popstar looked like an old ventriloquist's dummy when he was speaking and his girlfriend looked like she'd been badly reconstructed after being in an explosion) and there are some very amusing and not so amusing bugs.

If you park up on the pavement and start honking the horn you eventually end up with tens of citizens around the car stuck in looped "WTF?" animations. The radio stations change without any user input. If you don't hit "Select to powerup" when it tells you, you CAN'T power up until the next time it asks. The pathfinding for the route guide is beyond rotten. The map takes a few seconds to actually appear when you bring it up. The crosshair is on the screen but the map fades in later and to top it all off, GTA:Kowloon makes almost exactly the same noise when higlighting a waypoint as GTA:IV does. One of the first missions I did was to go with what's his chops to rob a warehouse in a wee crappy van and I had to drive carefully to aviod police attention. That would have been OK if the car behind didn't insist on crashing into the back of me repeatedly at a set of traffic lights... when they were on red. *crash* reverse *crash* reverse *crash* reverse.

Mind you, it was free, so...
  • kentmonkey 16 Mar 2013 21:53:20 20,760 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MIckelsenWhiteLTD wrote:

If you park up on the pavement and start honking the horn you eventually end up with tens of citizens around the car stuck in looped "WTF?" animations.
    If you sit parked up honking your horn, for no reason in real life, this is probably the least of your worries.

The radio stations change without any user input.
    Not noticed this. Are you sure you're not knocking the d-pad?

If you don't hit "Select to powerup" when it tells you, you CAN'T power up until the next time it asks.
    You can. Just hit start, then choose it from the menu.

The pathfinding for the route guide is beyond rotten.
    It gives you the shortest route in relation to following all traffic laws. You can take shortcuts down one-way streets but it won't show you that, as part of the mission scoring mechanism is to avoid collisions and therefore you stand more chance of that following traffic laws.

Honestly not a HUGE fan of the game, 7/10 at best for me, but some of those 'bugs' aren't even bugs, and seem strange things to throw at the game.

Edited by kentmonkey at 21:54:38 16-03-2013
  • Syrette 16 Mar 2013 21:57:15 43,744 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    If you sit parked up honking your horn, for no reason in real life, this is probably the least of your worries.
    The thought of this just made me glol.

As you were...

• RobTheBuilder 16 Mar 2013 22:49:12 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's got plenty of flaws. But underneath there is a really good game trying to get out.
  • Madder-Max 16 Mar 2013 23:16:32 11,660 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pity its not actually a good game then really.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Syrette 16 Mar 2013 23:26:47 43,744 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah Rob, your opinion is wrong!

;)

• RobTheBuilder 17 Mar 2013 00:42:30 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Syrette on PC it's better because its smoother. But I didn't say it was a great game, just that underneath the dodgy control, suspect physics, and occasionally awkward controls is one trying to get out!!
  • El_MUERkO 17 Mar 2013 02:42:42 17,072 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Pity its not actually a good game then really.
    Say you. One of my favourite single-player experiences of recent years.
  • MIckelsenWhiteLTD 17 Mar 2013 09:33:00 57 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    MIckelsenWhiteLTD wrote:

If you park up on the pavement and start honking the horn you eventually end up with tens of citizens around the car stuck in looped "WTF?" animations.
    Haha. True. I'd spun out onto the pavement and was trying not to run anyone down on my way back onto the road.

About the radio, I'm on PS3 so even with my comedy thumbs I was nowhere near touching the dpad while driving. Thanks for the tip about powering up. I didn't think to look in the pause menu. As for the pathfinding, what you say makes perfect sense. "I'm a cop, you idiot!"

I'll probably give it another go after I've finished ME3. I'd just finished Borderlands 2 on the PC and fired this up and even though they are completely different games there is a distinct difference in overall quality between them.

It's not shit. It's just not great. I suppose it's like having a starter and main from The Fat Duck and finishing off with a McFlurry.
  • killersrquiet 17 Mar 2013 13:14:32 2,045 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    The driving ruins it for me - it just handles like a cheap iOS game, almost like it was an afterthought. The story is decent enough, and I've had fun with the combat. In fact, it feels like a bargain bin game.

Not sure why it revived some gushing praise, mind.
    Precisely the reason I won't buy it. The vehicles have no weight or feeling to them. They just rock side to side.
  • ZuluHero 17 Mar 2013 13:30:21 4,198 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    By those definitions GTA is a bargain bin game as well then. And the combat and driving is better in this! :p
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Mar 2013 13:45:18 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ZuluHero the driving is better than any GTA I've played (all except IV). Not as fun as saints row 3, but it does the job. The combat and running is fun but the execution isn't always great.
  • kentmonkey 17 Mar 2013 20:47:18 20,760 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The driving is all about using the handbrake. Powerslide around every corner with the accelator down and it's more fun and more controllable. Oddly.
  • kinky_mong 20 Mar 2013 11:32:48 10,428 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a really weird bug on this last night. I was doing a drug bust fight in the West side of the map, and every time I tried to throw a weapon at an enemy from the backup wave of thugs that appear it would instantly kill me, regardless of how much health I had left. I was fine to throw weapons at the first lot of goons, but without fail trying on the next lot would trigger the bug.

Otherwise the game has been awesome so far.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Triggerhappytel 26 May 2013 01:26:53 2,695 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just finished the Nightmare on North Point DLC earlier tonight. A fun little extension for the couple of quid that I paid, but very light on actual missions and I found the demon enemies really quite annoying. It was good to return to SD since I finished the main game a few months back, but had I not got this in a sale I'd say it wasn't really worthwhile. It only has six additional missions and they're all go here/chase/fight. Probably only about an hour of content, unless you go after many of the side missions or upgrades.

Anyone played Year of the Snake - worth checking out? I got the game free through PS+ and really enjoyed it, so I don't mind throwing some money their way seeing as I got the game for free.
  • Deleted user 2 August 2013 19:03:05
    (thought i'd share)
    Been thinking about getting a new game, and Sleeping Dogs appears to be the one that's ticking boxes.

The theme kinda grabs me. Looks like it could be fun. £15 seems about the going rate.
  • Cosquae 2 Aug 2013 19:11:35 1,227 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    £5 on Steam right now until Monday.
  • Deleted user 3 August 2013 10:17:41
    £49 Download on Sony PS3 Store
    or £15 in Cex for hardcopy.. Cex it is ;)
  • killersrquiet 3 Aug 2013 11:23:16 2,045 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @blacksea

good to know it's not just Microsoft that have laughable prices for download games
  • Deleted user 3 August 2013 14:53:05
    killersrquiet wrote:
    @blacksea

good to know it's not just Microsoft that have laughable prices for download games
    heh..
    I have it now, in mint condition too. They (Cex) had 2 copies in stock..
    I've check it out tonight, as right now the sun is shining - best make the most of it..

Edited by blacksea at 08:40:49 04-08-2013
  • Deleted user 4 August 2013 08:37:19
    My take so far.. I'm liking the game :)

Comparisons to other PS3 games. Visually it's not as polished as say Uncharted 2, it's not as ground breaking or as perfect as Heavy Rain, it's not as slick as Yakuza 4. Character animation is good, and the model's look more impressive than those in Gran Theft Auto IV, which some compare Sleeping Dogs to. With the number characters roaming around, the vibe feels good. The acting's pretty good also. The story so far seems to be easy enough to follow. There seems to be far less free roam compared to Gran Theft Auto IV, which is probably a good thing. The fighting is easier to get to grips with compared to Yakuza 4.

Edited by blacksea at 08:44:37 04-08-2013
  • Deleted user 6 August 2013 20:08:23
    Still playing the game. Itís a whole lot more open-world now. Itís good fun, which is what counts..

A couple of gripes. Maybe all vehicles have to fit in the same size box, as while some look better than others, the buses look wrong. One type of bus looks too small, and another type of double decker looks both too small, and too narrow. Day to night Fx are good, but no match for the same effect during GTA IV. As much as I like the background gfx, GTA IV is more impressive, although SD looks really quite good at night, with the rain falling. Obviously the rain FX are no match for the likes of say Heavy Rain. Also, as picky as it sounds, and maybe something for Playstation 4, while travelling up hills, thereís no sigh of the rain running down the hills, it defies gravity, heh.
  • Deleted user 8 August 2013 18:11:19
    Discovered a bug that ment re starting a mission. I havn't encountered a bug in a game for years :(

I'll return to the game later. Sure hope the same bug don't show up during the same mission.
  • Doomspoon 8 Aug 2013 19:28:01 2,490 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh, yeah I had a scripted car chase bit where I wasn't driving. I shot some of the guys chasing us as we went into a filter lane. Somehow the car I was in hadn't made it to the lane it was supposed to so chuckles at the wheel decided to keep driving a foot away and towards the wall until the bad guys crowded us and we blew up.
  • Deleted user 14 August 2013 18:17:32
    Doomspoon wrote:
    Heh, yeah I had a scripted car chase bit where I wasn't driving. I shot some of the guys chasing us as we went into a filter lane. Somehow the car I was in hadn't made it to the lane it was supposed to so chuckles at the wheel decided to keep driving a foot away and towards the wall until the bad guys crowded us and we blew up.
    I retired the mission (shot red cars, stop yellow car and jump into it) and all was ok.

I did encounter another (funny) bug. While driving along a motor way, all cars in the outside-lane were driving at a 45 angle with 2 wheels on the barrier. They were driving for so long, then crashing into the first street lamp that came along. I've only seen this bug happen once.

Edited by blacksea at 18:20:31 14-08-2013
  • Deleted user 14 August 2013 18:17:44
    Iím 50% through the story (so say the stats) which is good. The bad news is, combat has become increasingly more difficult, to the point at which an extreme difficulty spike has shown up, much to my annoyance. This in turn has exposed something(s) I really donít like about the combat.

1. Pressing forward and holding X should make the player run. For some reason the game likes to delay this during combat, thus resulting in much unwanted damage to the player. It's infuriating.

2. During combat, when an enemy turns red, the Player should press the Triangle button ASAP to go into defend mode. This works fine, although the Player seems to always loose some energy in the process. This is not good.

Edited by blacksea at 18:19:21 14-08-2013
  • coomber 15 Aug 2013 17:27:43 337 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sounds like your timing is slightly off maybe?

As for the bugs... yeah, there's no shortage of them. I've had to quit and reload the game on three occasions so far. The glitches are the only thing that lets the game down for me though. Easily among the best games of last year from what I've seen, and I can't be too far from finishing it.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2013 19:50:48
    @coomber I've only had one real bug that required a mission re start.
  • Page

of 41 First / Last