Compact backup cam recommendations Page 5

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• monkman76 5 Aug 2011 13:28:17 3,976 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Won't make the camera smaller though, if what valli says about it still needing a focal plane shutter is right.

I assume it will need one, otherwise it won't be compatible with any current E-mount lens, or indeed almost any of the old MF lenses you can attach to a NEX.
  • Deleted user 5 August 2011 14:43:43
    Yes, it would be suicide to exclude a normal shutter. :)
  • DrDamn 9 Aug 2011 14:23:00 1,215 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well circumstances have meant I had to scale back my ideas of an NEX C3 and I switched to a Sony HX9. Lacks Raw and Av/Tv modes (though does have full manual). Stronger points are the video capabilities (1080p 50/60fps) and funkier/fun modes like sweep panoramic and 3D. Big ol' zoom on it too. I should really baulk at features like background defocus but I'll give them a go. Impressions to come when it arrives. Got a reasonable deal on it, combination of Quidco, Currys discount and Sony cashback means it's going to cost about £215.
  • Mageme 10 Aug 2011 12:15:07 1,994 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interested to know your impressions of the Sony HX9. Was looking at this, as well as the Nikon S9100 as potential backup cams, but with cashback this is tempting.

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• DrDamn 12 Aug 2011 14:17:02 1,215 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had a little time to play with the HX9 now. It's a nice little(ish) camera with a lot of features. Going to take a while to get the most out of it I think. The sweep panorama mode is a really nice addition and works shockingly well. Stuff like Background Defocus and Twilight Modes are also interesting. Background defocus is never going to really replicate a good SLR lens but it does produce an interesting effect. It's not as predictable as I would like but certainly an option.

Picture Quality and Low light capabilities are better on the Canon S95. In particular pixel peekers will probably be disappointed with the PQ when zoomed in on a picture in post processing due to noise handling - but in terms of producing good pictures on screen an printed at normal sizes I think it works well. For regular low light (i.e. indoors during the day without a flash) the Canon S95 is really impressive, the HX9 not so much, and on top of that there is no way to tone down the flash should you need to resort to that. In darker conditions extra modes should help the HX9 somewhat. There is a special Twilight mode which takes 6 exposures and combines the results to reduce noise, I've seen good feedback on this.

The zoom is very nice and sizeable and maintains some good clarity at full zoom too. The interface is pretty good with excellent built in help on the camera which explains all the functions and features.

Overall if PQ or low light performance are your primary concern then something else will probably suit you better. If you are more interested in versitility and some of the addition functions then this is a great back-up to an SLR.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2011 11:14:49
    I may have approached the compact camera issue in the wrong way: got a nice deal on a 2nd hand Voigtländer 21mm with external viewfinder and bought it on Friday.

It's ridiculously small and compact, now for a Leica M adapter to the NEX. But which NEX will it be, the "pro" 7 or the newer 5N which seems very cool as well. I really want swivel screen and manual controls for "hip firing". I'll know next week.

Beautiful gem the lens is in any case!
    http://www.scandinavianphoto.se/img/img_large/316889.jpg
  • Deleted user 1 September 2011 10:05:07
    Very nice, Fuji X10 announced:
    http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/fuji-x10-announced/
  • Nth 1 Sep 2011 10:28:01 3,119 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Let's hope they've learned from the issues with the X100. Could be good.
  • monkman76 1 Sep 2011 11:35:55 3,976 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Meh, tiny sensor. Might be good, but it's just a compact, not in any way close to the X100.
  • monkman76 1 Sep 2011 11:41:49 3,976 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Samsung NX200 looks interesting though - APS-C sensor like NEX, 20MP - and unlike NEX they have a sensible compact prime, the 30mm f2.
  • Deleted user 1 September 2011 13:20:09
    monkman76 wrote:Meh, tiny sensor. Might be good, but it's just a compact, not in any way close to the X100.
    Oh man, I've missed that. I was blindly assuming it had the same sensor as the X100 and was drooling all over the place. :)
  • Rhythm 1 Sep 2011 13:25:07 2,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    valli wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:Meh, tiny sensor. Might be good, but it's just a compact, not in any way close to the X100.
    Oh man, I've missed that. I was blindly assuming it had the same sensor as the X100 and was drooling all over the place. :)

It's this year's entry into the family currently occupied by the LX5 or the Powershot S95.
  • monkman76 1 Sep 2011 13:37:55 3,976 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    valli wrote:

Yeah I missed it at first, then started to wonder how a 4x zoom could be that small... :-)
  • monkman76 1 Sep 2011 13:39:20 3,976 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    valli wrote:

It's this year's entry into the family currently occupied by the LX5 or the Powershot S95.

More like an Olympus XZ-1 with the fast lens :-P
  • Rhythm 1 Sep 2011 14:32:47 2,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    X10 has an f2.0 lens, just like the LX5 and the S95, or did I read it wrong? The Olympus has an f1.8 :-/
  • monkman76 1 Sep 2011 14:51:41 3,976 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah fair enough I didn't realise the lenses on the LX5 or S95 were that fast, I take it back :-)
  • Deleted user 2 September 2011 21:56:52
    NEX-5N ordered and dispatched to my US addy. \o/ Sending it home when it arrives, most likely on Mon. \o/
  • mal 2 Sep 2011 22:26:33 22,339 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice work there. I'd be interested to know whether you do actually end up carrying it around with you. It's still a bit bigger than the current crop of teensy 1/2.3" DSLR companions.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 3 September 2011 08:11:32
    With the 18-55 zoom I bought with it, yes. With the 16mm or a Leica M lens, it's more or less equal to the XZ-1, thus very compact if you ask me. But yes, I'm interested too. :)

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/32843-Oly-XZ-1-vs-NEX-5N-21mm-VC-vs-Drinks-Can-vs-Credit-Card
  • PatrickEwing 13 Sep 2011 14:26:09 2,127 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I'm about to invest in a NEXC3, Seems to be perfect for my photography expertise (lack of), It'd be interesting to see how I get on with a big old lens attached to a tiny body, but I'm wondering as to whether anyone has any experience of using the pancake lenses? I can't establish how essential it would be to have it when weighing up paying £400 without or £500 with it bundled.
  • monkman76 13 Sep 2011 15:22:37 3,976 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got the NEX-3 (older generation) with the 16mm pancake, and I'd say it's well worth getting if it doesn't bump the price up too much. With the 16mm attached the camera+lens easily fits into a cargo shorts or jacket pocket (not quite jeans pocket!), and it's also nice to have the f2.8 aperture for low light. It's a useful lens for indoor shots in pubs / restaurants etc.

HOWEVER - from what I hear, the even newer NEX-5N apparently has a much better sensor than the C3, especially at high ISOs (ie. in low light) - and I think they're currently pretty close to the C3 in price. If I were to replace my NEX-3 it'd definitely be with the 5N and not the C3.
  • PatrickEwing 13 Sep 2011 15:29:44 2,127 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll take that on board, low light is one of the main reasons I'm looking to upgrade my camera, got two kids under 2 at home and I'm fed up of my shoddy indoor photos of them.

You can't bring another camera into the equation, It's taken me 3 weeks of intense internet research to decide on the c3!
    /starts checking out the NEX 5N.
  • monkman76 13 Sep 2011 15:52:12 3,976 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry! Just to throw another spanner in the works - how fast do under-2s move? If it's keeping them in focus you're struggling with, no mirrorless camera will match even an entry-level DSLR for tracking moving objects. Just sayin' :-)
  • mal 13 Sep 2011 16:17:41 22,339 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I usually pre-focus, and stop the aperture if I'm taking pictures of my nephews. Though if they're playing trains, it's usually possible to get a good photo since they're playing trains, since they're sometimes still for whole fractions of a second while they fix their train.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• cheeky_prawnking 13 Sep 2011 19:05:10 4,274 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have asked the question on another site, as I am looking at a compact as backup and when I cba to lug the SLR.

Another name thrown into the mix was a Ricoh GRDIII, according to the person who suggested it, and I will quote him:

the thing that appeals to me is Ricoh's "snap focus" feature which allows you to preselect a focus distance (either 1m, 2.5m, 5m or infinity) which results in almost instant shutter release. The reason for this is that the process of auto focussing is what generally causes shutter lag with a compact camera and by bypassing this stage then shutter lag is more or less removed.

Could be good with kids, I think a site called Cambridge Cameras are currently doing them on discount at £299.
  • Deleted user 13 September 2011 20:02:17
    My 5N arrived today! Battery was at 3% and now it's pitch black here for any tests unless I put the Nikon flashlight in Slave mode. The combo of 5N + Voigtländer 21mm Leica M prime is teh shit though!

First time with a NEX ever, bloody hell they're small.

Oh, and the focus peak function is the coolest thing since coated lenses! (ok, that may not be true but I'm really impressed by the little bugger). Focus peak in action for those who don't know:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGPF375-2rA
  • Mr-Brett 13 Sep 2011 20:12:59 12,723 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm very jealous, just looked up the 5N and it seems like a great piece of kit.

That focus peak is a stroke of genius.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Deleted user 13 September 2011 20:44:25
    I took this shot while the battery was charging, the 21mm Voigtländer fits it perfectly:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2505528/img/nex5NVoigtlander.jpg
  • TheRealBadabing 13 Sep 2011 21:09:01 1,283 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Sorry! Just to throw another spanner in the works - how fast do under-2s move? If it's keeping them in focus you're struggling with, no mirrorless camera will match even an entry-level DSLR for tracking moving objects. Just sayin' :-)
    Unless it's one of the new PENs. Or even a GF3/G3. Both are at least as fast as an entry level DSLR.

I admit you are right if you mean "no Sony or Samsung mirrorless camera" though. The new NEX line looks very tempting for still shots indoors/at night but they still haven't addressed the main reason I got rid of mine: slow AF speed.
  • monkman76 13 Sep 2011 21:30:07 3,976 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:

monkman76 wrote:
    Unless it's one of the new PENs. Or even a GF3/G3. Both are at least as fast as an entry level DSLR.

I admit you are right if you mean "no Sony or Samsung mirrorless camera" though. The new NEX line looks very tempting for still shots indoors/at night but they still haven't addressed the main reason I got rid of mine: slow AF speed.

They're as fast at acquiring initial focus, but contrast detect AF (used in all mirrorless cameras) is still miles behind phase detect for tracking focus of a moving object like an energetic kid :-)
  • Page

of 13 First / Last