Manly activities that men do Page 13

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• Salaman 15 Jun 2012 11:17:53 18,236 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    I created THIS from a piece of MDF with a jigsaw. I think i can file that under 'Manly -subfolder- Nerd'.
    Sorry, you're left handed. That's just not manly.
  • Goban 15 Jun 2012 11:19:04 8,996 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    Goban wrote:
    Buztafen wrote:
    I created THIS from a piece of MDF with a jigsaw. I think i can file that under 'Manly -subfolder- Nerd'.
    Be careful not to ladder your tights on that rough edge.
    :( Jigsaw's are manly. I could've chopped my fingers off...or atleast of grazed myself.
    :)

We've recently moved into a very old house 1730 or thereabouts and the drains are really shonky, so once a month I'm having to rod them. Nothing quite like being shoulder deep in shit to make you feel manly... Hold on that doesn't sound quite right :/
  • Goban 15 Jun 2012 11:19:20 8,996 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Goban 15 Jun 2012 11:19:36 8,996 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Goban 15 Jun 2012 11:20:39 8,996 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seem to have caught multipostitis.
  • Salaman 15 Jun 2012 11:22:12 18,236 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I demolished a friends shack 3 weeks ago.
    Concrete pillars with 4 concrete slabs between them for walls.
    We carefully unscrewed the (asbestos) Eternit roof thingies. Went to get a sledgehammer and I then swung it about for an hour until my arms felt like they'd fall off. By then I was surrounded by concrete debris.
    So much fun though.
  • L_Franko Moderator 15 Jun 2012 11:23:03 9,680 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Buztafen wrote:
    That's true, it is BEASTLY!
  • Buztafen 15 Jun 2012 11:27:56 15,957 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    Salaman wrote:
    Buztafen wrote:
    That's true, it is BEASTLY!
    DARN TOOTIN!
  • smoothpete 15 Jun 2012 11:47:51 31,014 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Could've been worse, could've gone through the ceiling. My brother-in-law has done that a few times. Still no joy with the leak then?
    Sadly not. I'll be up on the roof again at the weekend with more sealant. I think I'm going to knock a hole in the leaking part of the ceiling so I can properly identify where the water is coming in.
  • Dougs 15 Jun 2012 11:49:42 64,881 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Concrete pillars with 4 concrete slabs between them for walls.
    We carefully unscrewed the (asbestos) Eternit roof thingies. Went to get a sledgehammer and I then swung it about for an hour until my arms felt like they'd fall off. By then I was surrounded by concrete debris.
    So much fun though.
    I was helping my brother-in-law rip out an old chimney breast. A large lump of concrete reinforced with steel was left (presumably the old hearth for the upstairs room). Took lots of sledge-hammering and chipping away with a kango before it eventually gave way. And utterly destroyed the table and various things we'd placed underneath to break it's fall. That felt good.

Edited by Dougs at 11:51:52 15-06-2012
  • mrpon 15 Jun 2012 11:50:22 27,638 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Buz, keep onto that jigsaw for future proofing purposes (fatty)

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 15 June 2012 11:54:34
    I burned an entire wooden bed in a very small BBQ a couple of weeks ago.
  • Buztafen 15 Jun 2012 11:57:11 15,957 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Buz, keep onto that jigsaw for future proofing purposes (fatty)
    :) Its a 'comfort curve' for my rippling abs I'll have you know.
  • Dirtbox 15 Jun 2012 11:57:18 76,315 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    I like the belly curve, but where is the drink holder?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• neilka 15 Jun 2012 12:02:17 14,938 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    FILTH
  • elstoof 15 Jun 2012 12:10:38 6,136 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dougs I hope the wall is strong enough to stay up without the reinforcing chimney breast.
  • Buztafen 15 Jun 2012 12:24:21 15,957 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Buztafen wrote:
    I like the belly curve, but where is the drink holder?
    That'll be added to the Mk2 PRO edition.
  • smoothpete 23 Jul 2012 09:44:14 31,014 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, thinking about getting a canoe. An open canadian style one. Pretty manly. Does anyone have one? Kinda surprised by how much they are! Even 2nd had ones are 400+. I can get a brand new one from Amazon for 500 so will probably do that, unless anyone has any suggestions.
  • magicpanda 23 Jul 2012 10:31:41 13,006 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have a look into inflatable Kayaks Pete.
  • Dirtbox 23 Jul 2012 10:36:51 76,315 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I used to have a boat that I rescued from the side of the thames, it was fibre glass.

I think it's still where I left it around about here. Help yourself.

• Mr-Brett 23 Jul 2012 10:37:15 12,676 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fell a tree and carve one? that would be the most manly way.

Portable view - Never forget.

• henro_ben 23 Jul 2012 10:41:53 2,192 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Inflatables are ok if you're not going to use it very often - easy to store, transport etc. but they do tend to be slower.

What are you going to be paddling on pete? Rivers? Estuary? The sea...!?

Generally speaking the longer they are the better they are at going in a straight line, the thinner they are the quicker but tippier they are and the more they curve up at the ends the more manoeuvrable they are - but this will affect the length/tracking.

I went for a kayak rather than a canoe in the end but did try out a few - they tend to be much heavier than an equivalent length kayak, so keep that in mind... Also a kayak is somewhat easier to get started with, the paddling for a canoe is a bit harder to get to grips with, well, I found it so anyway!
  • smoothpete 23 Jul 2012 10:44:19 31,014 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I used to have a boat that I rescued from the side of the thames, it was fibre glass.

I think it's still where I left it around about here. Help yourself.
    No shit, I might well go have a look. My friend's boat is moored up like 5 metres to the right of that, outside the boat yard shop.

Not really interested in an inflatable one. I've looked at them, I don't think they'd last very many seasons before I managed to break it somehow or put a fag burn in it.
  • smoothpete 23 Jul 2012 10:46:11 31,014 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    henro_ben, just on canals and on the thames. Actually I personally would prefer to get a couple of kayaks but the missus is insistent that she wants a canoe.
  • LeoliansBro 23 Jul 2012 10:50:53 41,863 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Guarantee you get arrested for swiping the wrong boat pete :)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Dirtbox 23 Jul 2012 10:51:13 76,315 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Actually Pete, I think this might be it. Upturned by the looks of it.

The worry is it's in what used to be my neighbour's garden, mine was the one just to the left of it. You can get into them via the path that goes between them and the houses. It's not really ideal as it's quite deep and needs a wooden frame or something. It's also a little bit leaky. It weighs quite a lot as it's solid fibre glass, definitely not a one man job. Have a look one evening though.

But I don't know if burglary should be on the list of manly activities. Perhaps piracy.

Edited by Dirtbox at 11:05:32 23-07-2012

• henro_ben 23 Jul 2012 10:54:50 2,192 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    henro_ben, just on canals and on the thames. Actually I personally would prefer to get a couple of kayaks but the missus is insistent that she wants a canoe.
    They're certainly easier to get into than a kayak, and you can fit a lot of gear in them. Suspect you might have a few interesting 'discussions' during the first few trips as you get used to steering it, arf!

Have you got a canoe/kayaking club anywhere near by? Would be worth popping along one evening/weekend just to try out a few of their canoes to give you a better idea of what to look for/buy.
  • THFourteen 23 Jul 2012 10:57:37 31,781 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    So, thinking about getting a canoe. An open canadian style one. Pretty manly. Does anyone have one? Kinda surprised by how much they are! Even 2nd had ones are 400+. I can get a brand new one from Amazon for 500 so will probably do that, unless anyone has any suggestions.
    heh amuses me that you can buy a canoe from amazon.

is that a canoe in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
  • smoothpete 23 Jul 2012 11:04:20 31,014 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    Have you got a canoe/kayaking club anywhere near by? Would be worth popping along one evening/weekend just to try out a few of their canoes to give you a better idea of what to look for/buy.
    yeah just near my office. We were intending to hire one last thursday but the river was flowing too fast and they were worried we'd end up in Maidenhead
  • Dirtbox 23 Jul 2012 11:07:10 76,315 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you get one, make sure you get a little standby outboard that you can pop in the water. Nothing worse than one day deciding to row to Henley for a meal and don't want to do anything but call a taxi to take you home.

• Page

of 22 First / Last