Binary Domain Page 6

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• puddleduck 29 Apr 2012 15:58:42 1,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Adamical

Cool for posting that as I got bored at the start and turned it off. You definitely reckon it's worth pushing on?
  • RunningMan 29 Apr 2012 16:13:32 2,386 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have to agree with@Adamical, gets much better after an hour or two. Very enjoyable game.
  • Oh-Bollox 29 Apr 2012 16:13:56 5,164 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some of the boss fights outstay their welcome, but it's definitely worth playing. Not as good as Vanquish, but better than most cover shooters.
  • puddleduck 29 Apr 2012 16:51:40 1,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I had just reached a hub thing which seemed interesting but I had found most of the shooting up until that point fairly average. Will give it another go at some point, cheers :)
  • FuzzyDuck 29 Apr 2012 17:32:42 3,899 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Once you get a feel for the game's main mechanic (shooting the little bits off the enemy robots), it becomes immense fun.

The game is also worth stick with just to have the French robot on your team :D
  • Deleted user 30 April 2012 01:08:37
    Started to play this today and utterly adoring it - the enemies' damage system, vast number of enemy types, fast and hectic combat, enjoyably forgiving health system, characters who are actually likeable without forced backstories (Gears Of War 2&3 looking at you), nice set pieces, the cheesy dialogue, interesting plot... Why can't more games be like this?

The game is also worth stick with just to have the French robot on your team

This man speaks the truth! Words can not describe how awesome the contents of the spoiler tag are!

Edited by TheAngryRatel at 01:09:09 30-04-2012
  • Tiiti 30 Apr 2012 08:50:08 497 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I tried the PC demo yesterday and wow, just what he'll is going Jon with the controls? All the tutorial like prompts we're telling me the X360 pad buttons to press... I use keyboard and mouse... Very messed and really put me off right from the menu.

Father. Husband. Gamer.
    X360 | XBO | WiiU | iPad4 | iPhone 5
    PC: i7 2600k, GTX 580 Lightning (sli), SSD

• Adamical 30 Apr 2012 09:29:07 313 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @puddleduck

Yes, absolutely. The story, environments and combat get a lot more interesting as you go on.
  • UncleLou Moderator 1 May 2012 13:27:35 35,426 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lulz, the PC demo is the new benchmark for craptastic PC ports. Shows just Xbox pad buttons on the screen, and this is the keyboard layout for the menu, if you want to try it:

WASD to navigate menus (arrows don't work, mouse doesn't work)
    Enter to cancel (!!!)
    Space to confirm
    ESC does not work at all

edit:

SHIFT turns your character around in a circle. :D

Edited by UncleLou at 13:29:34 01-05-2012
  • Spunkweazle 1 May 2012 13:52:20 470 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just ordered this from Shopto for 13 quid, its going to join the pile of games that has gathered since i started skyrim

It looks a bit Vanquishy

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• agparrot 1 May 2012 14:00:11 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thank goodness I'm playing the 360 version, where the controls do exactly what they are supposed to! ;)

I have just finished playing through Binary Domain for the first time, I started out on Survivor difficulty, and although the damage dealt by some of the bosses was a bit troublesome, it actually made the combat well balanced.

What a great game! It was immediately reminiscent of those PS2 games that Capcom did as they were starting to use more fluid character movements after Dino Crisis and all those kind of games. I don't know if anyone ever played Extermination on the PS2, but the cheesy dialogue of Binary Domain immediately brought that game to mind, for me.

Clearly, it's a buddy cover shooter, so comparisons with Gears are inevitable, but beyond hiding behind stuff and shooting, and starting out with chest-bumping bromance between Dan and Bo, the two opening characters, I think that comparison is a little unkind, even after you've pressed RB/R1 to reload your gun.

It has some great boss battles, that add to the joy of blowing pieces off the regular robot foot soldiers, and the upgrade slots for nanomachines, whilst largely incidental, are a nice touch. There is a clear difference in the power of your weapons as you upgrade them for yourself and your squad mates, and the gunplay is weighty and meaty.

The story is typically bonkers fare, but it runs along at a nice pace and never takes itself too seriously. It's like an occasionally badly translated action movie, although for the most part everything is intelligible and on topic. If you are still, like me, childish enough to suspend your disbelief at even slightly hackneyed stories and characters, it's a great little romp.

The voice command stuff is quite interesting, although if you couldn't overcome feeling like a berk playing Tom Clancy's Endwar, talking to your machine, you're going to have the same problem here. I found it mostly responsive, although it did seem to suffer from a tiny delay which led me to eventually turn it off and use the speech menu.

I enjoyed it so much that I've restarted it on Normal difficulty - it actually feels a little bit too easy now, so I might bite the bullet and start a campaign on the additional difficulty setting that I unlocked when I completed it on Survivor mode.

I feel guilty for playing it from Lovefilm to be honest, and as it's not more than 14.95 anywhere, I might just buy myself a copy. One day there might even be somebody online in the co-op Horde mode.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 25 May 2012 17:02:55 37,363 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I completed this (on Survivor) today. It's pretty good isn't it? So satisfying getting headshots and watching the enemies turn on each other. The bosses were remarkably easy though, just big old bullet sponges with very predictable attacks. Even the end boss went down on the first attempt.

The voice command stuff could NOT understand me though, it kept selecting the wrong thing! I just gave up and used the buttons in the end.

Had a quick go at the MP, won a match and I'll never go back to it again. Everyone else playing was level 30-50!

Tell you what though, having left it to go play Max Payne really made it clear Binary Domain isn't even in the same league when it comes to combat.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 25 May 2012 23:26:36
    is this as good as vanquish?
  • King_Edward 25 May 2012 23:30:17 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No. Still good though.
  • PenguinJim 7 Jun 2012 12:40:29 5,758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just completed this today (Survivor, Recon controls). It's surprisingly similar to Vanquish, but slower and not as smooth or bonkers (even when you're desperately trying to shoot a giant snake motorcycle in the dick before it punches your truck off the road). The story tried a bit harder, though, and there was some imposed variety that made it feel kinda PS2ish. :D

Not a bad game at all, with a couple of laugh-out-loud funny lines, too. After what felt like such a mediocre demo, I wasn't sure I'd enjoy the full game any better, but this thread made me take the risk, so thank you. :p 11.86 well spent!

Now off to play through Vanquish again..!
  • richarddavies 7 Jun 2012 14:12:22 2,581 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    i finished this last week and loved it. Really surprised me how much fun i thought it was.
  • Popzeus 27 Aug 2012 14:02:16 8,272 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bump. Just picked this up on 360 for less than a tenner in Tesco, and a quick read through the thread suggests it was money well spent...

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• neilqpr 2 Sep 2012 19:48:45 2,832 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Started this yesterday, enjoying it. However is it not a bit too easy? Playing on survivior and I rarely have to bother going into cover at all.

Just met up with Frenchie, does the difficulty ramp up at any point?
  • kentmonkey 2 Sep 2012 20:04:12 20,446 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nope. It's painfully easy.
  • Cadence 2 Sep 2012 20:24:42 1,680 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One minor thing that did put me off about the game was the same endlessly recycled quotes from your team mates. Especially the French robot twat.
  • Popzeus 3 Sep 2012 13:11:42 8,272 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still enjoying this immensely. Not usually into third person shooters though, so maybe the things I like about it are the same things that put fans of the genre off - e.g. I hate the obsession with cover that so many of these games have, so I like being able to go in all guns blazing in this.

• glaeken 3 Sep 2012 13:26:00 11,098 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Odd I just picked this up as well. Got it for 10 in HMV as I remember it getting good reviews so I had marked it as a possibly bargain bin purchase.

I was a little underwhelmed at first but it's definitely growing on me. The boss battles are fun and the writing is actually pretty reasonable apart from too much repetition on team mate quotes.
  • Popzeus 3 Sep 2012 13:32:12 8,272 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Worst bit is definitely that first hour of generic-shooter brown corridor nonsense. It doesn't really get into its stride until you reach the upper city IMO.

• glaeken 3 Sep 2012 14:17:43 11,098 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I found that. Once you get into the upper city it became far more enjoyable. I might even have given up on it in that early section but luckily decided to stick with it.
  • mikew1985 3 Sep 2012 15:28:50 12,604 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've kind of given up on it due to Darksiders 2 to be followed by Sleeping Dogs and Borderlands 2.

Shame, I've reached the part with the French robot but there wasn't anything really hooking me in yet tbh.
  • TheMightyRose 19 Sep 2012 13:35:07 174 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Played through this over the weekend and I loved it. The Mighty Rose has not had so much fun with a game since Alpha Protocol. I am currently playing through Vanquish and although the sense of scale and controls are superb it is just not gripping me like Binary Domain did.

The game is not without its flaws for sure such as the previously mentioned same bits of dialogue being repeated over and over again by your teammates when Dan is injured or the fact squad mates will run into your line of sight and then complain about it and cause you to lose trust!

"You OK Dan?" Says the huge musclebound Delroy Lindo lookalike.
    "If you die we'll all be in a pickle." Says the british woman.
    "Don't get careless." Says the super sexy Chinese babe.

And repeat.

On my playthrough the cool french robot Cain disappeared and never came back. Does anyone know how to get him to appear at the end? Is it simply a matter of filling his trust bar?
  • Oh-Bollox 3 Jan 2013 07:16:39 5,164 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That Brendan Keogh bloke did an interesting series of articles on Binary Domain: A Sum of Parts: Other Others.

Edited by Oh-Bollox at 07:22:57 03-01-2013
  • mikew1985 12 Jan 2013 01:24:29 12,604 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Meh, finished, pretty dumb game, good in some ways but from a gameplay perspective; this is utterly mediocre.

Edited by mikew1985 at 01:25:00 12-01-2013
  • Short-Round 28 Jan 2013 23:35:19 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just finished, very enjoyable romp, like someone said it's a bit like a badly translated foreign action film. Way more charm than the Gears games it gets compared to. Hope there's a sequel.
  • Vortex808 29 Jan 2013 09:48:24 6,964 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    One day, I will finally start this!
  • Page

of 7 First / Last