The all-new Premier League thread Page 3180

• Page

of 5247 First / Last

• SuperCoolEskimo 29 Jan 2013 00:07:05 9,705 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Villa won't come to Arsenal. We'll end up trying to haggle a bargain on deadline day with no luck and all our office staff will be at home by 6pm like they were on deadline day in August.
  • kalel 29 Jan 2013 08:48:33 86,259 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I completely missed Rossi going to Fiorentina. 8m? Could be very shrewd if he returns to full fitness. Bet they wish they'd taken the 35m we offered a couple of years ago.
  • Shikasama 29 Jan 2013 09:00:54 6,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I saw that the other day. He must be very broken now.
  • LeD 29 Jan 2013 09:01:09 6,208 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Arsenal finalise new signing at last! Never heard of the guy though...

• Shikasama 29 Jan 2013 09:10:54 6,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DC looks dead inside
  • kalel 29 Jan 2013 09:17:01 86,259 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Coutinho to Liverpool done. Big question marks over him apparently. Will be interesting to see what happens there.
  • Dougs 29 Jan 2013 09:21:11 66,609 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, especially as he didn't really want to go it seems.
  • roz123 29 Jan 2013 09:27:53 7,112 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cuntiho
  • captbirdseye 29 Jan 2013 09:27:56 4,782 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't get where he would fit in though? And Liverpool would have a really light weight midfield with Coutinho, Gerrard and Lucas.
  • kalel 29 Jan 2013 09:31:47 86,259 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I guess he replaces Sahin.
  • captbirdseye 29 Jan 2013 09:34:27 4,782 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Forgot about him although I'm sure most Pool fans did :D.
  • kentmonkey 29 Jan 2013 09:45:57 20,416 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Thing is, there was no chance of us ever paying what he was valued at back then. And there was no way he was going to leave Spain without playing for one of the big two. The situation now is completely different.
    From what I understand, when we first went in for Villa he could be had for 18m. That isn't exactly the park we normally play in, we normally play in the park with the really shit Park's in, but it's not so far removed that it could have come to fruition. However it (and this is allegedly, obviously) never got beyond enquiry stage, as he just didn't have any interest of leaving Spain. Not just for the UK, but for Italy as well.

While I would assume he wanted to play for one of the big Spanish teams, he genuinely seems like the type of person who struggles with the thought of living anywhere else. Much like Baines.

He's exactly what we need, in a striker sense. I just worry he'd get pissed off living outside Spain.

And I really rate Giroud. I know you weren't having a dig but I said at the start of the season that he'd do well and I've never lost faith in him. He has drive and doesn't let a miss upset his morale/confidence. He just keeps plugging away. He's got good movement and willing to be part of the build-up as well, as well as being the type of striker he wants to get in the box to stick his toe on the end of a cross. Something we've been lacking.

I've no idea why some have continued to have it in for him, or why some in the media (including Garth Crooks this weekend, but then he is a feckless moron) saying that he's struggled and needs to up his game. He's got 14 goals in his first season for fuck's sake. Michu doesn't have many more than that, and has started far more games than Giroud, but he's not struggling.

I don't think he's buy of the season or anything like that, but I'm more than happy with him and more than happy for him to be our leading striker and for us to sign a squad striker to help with numbers. Where we need improving, in terms of quality, is defensively in midfield, which will allow Cazorla to play more like a number 10 and free him up from midfield defensive duties, which he sucks at and clearly can't be bothered with.
  • King_Edward 29 Jan 2013 09:50:08 11,454 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I didn't realise he'd scored 14 goals. He got those quietly.
  • kalel 29 Jan 2013 09:52:10 86,259 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    He's got 14 goals in his first season for fuck's sake. Michu doesn't have many more than that, and has started far more games than Giroud, but he's not struggling.
    You're not really comparing like for like here. Michu has a good amount more goals in the league and has massively influential in the big games in particular. Giroud on the other hand has not been truly convincing yet, and has really only made a major impression against lesser teans.

I wouldn't say he's "struggling" but he certainly hasn't made anything like the impact Michu has.
  • kalel 29 Jan 2013 09:54:40 86,259 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    He's been scoring lots of non-crucial goals in games like the battering Arsenal gave Newcastle and West Ham, plus got a couple against Brighton.

Six of his 13 (I think) goals came in those three game.
  • nickthegun 29 Jan 2013 09:55:29 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    He got those quietly.
    Because he has scored all of those against shit teams.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kentmonkey 29 Jan 2013 10:01:53 20,416 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No, you're right, I hadn't been clear and I hadn't meant it as an exclusive like for like comparison.

Michu at the moment is the better player and signing. Hence why I'd give him signing of the season. He's been really effective in games.

However the 'struggling' comments made by Arsenal fans and media are mainly about Giroud struggling to find the net. Most people acknowledge that he's put in good performances, but that he's struggling to find the net. One game a reporter said that once again Giroud had spent 90 minutes on the pitch and hadn't found the net. What that reporter failed to acknowledge was that the feckless performance of the players behind and around him had led to Arsenal creating something like 2-3 chances in that whole game (this was recent but my memory is blocking out who it was against. It may have been Swansea) and none of them had fallen to Giroud. He can't score if he hasn't got a chance to score from.

Consequently though, Michu has created one assist. Giroud has nine. So while he hasn't scored as many goals in the PL games as Michu (8 vs 13 I think) he has created a lot more goals.

Again this isn't and was never meant to be like-for-like against Michu, he's just the most obvious new signing I could think of who everyone pretty much agrees is doing well. But anyone who thinks he's struggling, either in scoring terms (8 from 22 is fine for me when we play a game that is meant to share the goals out amongst the front three and midfeidl anyway and not have a genuine 'lead' striker) especially considering his first season, or the impact he has on our game with his link up play and assists is Garth Crooks mental.
  • nickthegun 29 Jan 2013 10:05:55 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was going to say 'and michu does this with worse players around him' but I dont actually think thats completely true.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kalel 29 Jan 2013 10:07:10 86,259 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maybe. From where I'm standing the jury is still very much out on Giroud, but perhaps I'm more likely to fall in with the general media view, as I don't watch every minute of him play.
  • Dougs 29 Jan 2013 10:15:33 66,609 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He's certainly not the finished article as yet but there's enough there that makes me think he'll be fine. He's got a good first touch, he's strong (but has been bullied in some games, expect that to improve as he adapts) and has a decent finish (but again is a bit inconsistent). The criticisms are fair to a point though, he does need to do it in the tighter games or he'll be seen as a flat track bully. Only to a point though as he has scored a number of goals/assists when games have been tight.
  • kentmonkey 29 Jan 2013 10:18:18 20,416 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Two of those games he got goals in where we ended up battering the opposition only really changed to be in our favour when he came on.

I like him. Not World Class, not sure he ever will be, but I like his effort and I think he's good enough to work in a system where the goals are shared out. I'm more worried about the chance creation we've had in recent months, which has been very lacking. It's always more difficult to score when you know the chance you've got is likely to be the only chance for the next 45 minutes than it is when you know another chance will be around the corner.
  • Shikasama 29 Jan 2013 10:26:33 6,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    One thing you definitely can say about Arsenal this year is that they share the goals around the team
  • Dougs 29 Jan 2013 10:28:57 66,609 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Which was always the intention - last year we were criticised for being too reliant on van Persie.
  • Kay 29 Jan 2013 11:05:30 17,758 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    He's been scoring lots of non-crucial goals in games like the battering Arsenal gave Newcastle and West Ham, plus got a couple against Brighton.

Six of his 13 (I think) goals came in those three game.
    Yeah, the two goals he scored in the 3-2 win against Brighton were non-crucial. O_o
  • Shikasama 29 Jan 2013 11:07:21 6,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Walcott has been the king of non crucial goals according to that table Kalel posted the other week.

So if Giroud and Walcott aren't scoring the crucial goals...it must be Podolski!
  • kalel 29 Jan 2013 11:08:45 86,259 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The comma in that sentence had a purpose.
  • Dougs 29 Jan 2013 11:10:11 66,609 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, Pod has scored most 1st goals or something
  • Kay 29 Jan 2013 11:10:13 17,758 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Villa won't come to Arsenal. We'll end up trying to haggle a bargain on deadline day with no luck and all our office staff will be at home by 6pm like they were on deadline day in August.
    Btw, the fact that his wife gave birth again last night makes it very unlikely that he'll move now, I should imagine.
  • faux_carnation 29 Jan 2013 11:25:15 9,039 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Coutinho to Liverpool done. Big question marks over him apparently. Will be interesting to see what happens there.
    Big question marks? Apart from the fact he's barely had a chance at Inter I haven't heard anything about big question marks. Last tim he had a run in a team (Espanyol) he did well.

Saying all that, it's obviously a gamble, but that's the market we have to shop in now. We can't afford the sure thing anymore.
  • kalel 29 Jan 2013 11:26:44 86,259 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Andrea Ramazzotti, who covers Inter for Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport and has watched all Coutinho's 28 games for the club, told BBC Sport: "He just didn't show his potential in Milan. Coutinho played very well when he was on loan at Espanyol last season, and started well for Inter this season, but they were only brief spells really.

"For the rest of the time he just showed flashes of his potential and I fear the way of playing in England, which can be very physical, will not suit him, because he has a slight frame."

Sounds like question marks to me.
  • Page

of 5247 First / Last