The all-new Premier League thread Page 4717

• Page

of 5370 First / Last

• spindle9988 12 Mar 2014 09:12:49 3,528 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    To be fair the reason it was bought up in the first place was someone suggesting that once Liverpool were in the top 4 that they would be there for good.

The reality is that they have a world class player who will eventually be off to a bigger club (most likely Madrid), regardless of whether they have CL. Sadly, it's the way of the football world.
    If he does go, it will be all about how the money is reinvested. It was different for spurs because they sold bale without haviing champions league football the following season. If Liverpool sell suarez in the next window, we (should) have champions leauge football so will be able to attract a different class of player
  • tincanrocket 12 Mar 2014 09:20:34 2,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    To be fair the reason it was bought up in the first place was someone suggesting that once Liverpool were in the top 4 that they would be there for good.
    I don't think that was strictly what was said, it was more along the lines of Liverpool having been in the top four not too long ago for an extended period. I don't think there was even a hint of entitlement in the post (as in Liverpool deserving to be a top four club). I think it's just that certain clubs fans like to take a swipe at Liverpool, for whatever reason. Spurs and Man U fans need something to moan about rather than their own clubs ;) - don't worry, it will all change and you can go back to lolling at us soon

Sure, Suarez will almost certainly have his head turned, and Liverpool won't be able to compete with the wages he's likely to be offered by a team bankrolled by either an oil baron or the Spanish government, but I don't know that he is purely motivated by money. He'll leave at some point, but he may stay for a season if Liverpool reach the Champions League. We'll have to wait and see (and endure the World Cup in the meantime).

Oh, and if newspaper reports are to be believed, I can't believe Utd are planning on letting Hernandez go at the end of the season - I'd have him at Liverpool, and he'd be a good shout for Spurs too.
  • mikew1985 12 Mar 2014 09:23:38 12,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There will likely be one striker out in the summer and I can see it being Hernandez. I wouldn't blame him, he'll want first team football and he's given us some great years but he's unlikely to get 1st team football with us.

He'll never be allowed to leave to go to Liverpool though. That much is obvious.
  • askew 12 Mar 2014 09:25:25 12,163 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Van Persie to Galatasaray or Fenerbace ;)
  • robc84 12 Mar 2014 09:27:15 5,478 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fair point, but I can guarantee that you won't get someone of the same quality, and the players you bring in will likely need time to adjust.

I mean we attracted some pretty good players (Paulinho, Eriksen, Capoue) and some others with the potential to be good if they settle (Soldado, Lamela, Chiriches etc). If they all settle next year and hit some form we could be real force. The point is it wasn't an instant impact. In the mean time your rivals are strengthening. You will also have more games to deal with, you had a free run at it this year.

Who knows though, you may well get a top 4 spot again next year (assuming you don't screw it up this year :) ), but the point is it's not a self perpetuating top 4 like it used to be.
  • mikew1985 12 Mar 2014 09:27:26 12,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Could be RVP out too, yea. Who knows?

The only thing thats certain is it's not Rooney and nobody would take Welbeck :D

We're also heavily rumoured to be in the market for a striker too, which means at least one out to my mind.
  • tincanrocket 12 Mar 2014 09:28:15 2,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mikew1985 surely you'd be better off getting shot of Welbeck rather than Hernandez, though?

Edited by tincanrocket at 09:28:57 12-03-2014
  • mikew1985 12 Mar 2014 09:31:11 12,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    tincanrocket wrote:
    @mikew1985 surely you'd be better of getting shot of Welbeck rather than Hernandez, though?
    Well you'd think but Welbeck offers a little more versatility tha Hernandez - not the finishing instinct and ability or the boyish good looks - but he offers a bit more in terms of interplay with a strike partner.

Either way the only reason we would consider letting Hernandez go is if he wanted to leave. I'm guessing he will be itching for 1st team football which we're just not going to be able to offer him in our current system.
  • Dairyfree 12 Mar 2014 09:32:56 1,142 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Hernandez doesn't run around like a headless chicken and has control of his limbs, Moyes isn't a fan of those types of players.
  • mikew1985 12 Mar 2014 09:35:31 12,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be fair Hernandez is not a great footballer, often his touch and hold up play lets him down.

He looks to have improved in that area a little bit but Welbeck is undoutedely a little bit better on the ball and interchanging short passes with teammates.
    Hernandez is deadly in the box and brilliant at getting on the end of crosses and quick counter attacks.

Since our crossing is shit and quick is not how I'd describe any aspects of our play at this stage Welbeck is generally a better option than the Mexican.
  • Dairyfree 12 Mar 2014 09:52:19 1,142 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Fair point about Hernandez touch being shocking, but I'd be 100% more confident when a chance falls to him. The amount of times Welbeck falls over infront of goal and ruins the chance is unreal. I was actually surprised he didn't spoon his goal on the weekend like usual.

And his passing is overrated too imo, he gives it to the opposition or just behind a player all the time.

Edited by Dairyfree at 09:56:45 12-03-2014
  • DreadedWalrus 12 Mar 2014 10:30:49 352 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Considering the controversy a few pages back: West Brom captain Chris Brunt out for six weeks with knee injury

West Brom captain Chris Brunt has been ruled out of action for up to six weeks with a knee injury.

The midfielder was substituted after 65 minutes of Saturday's 3-0 loss at home to Manchester United.

The 29-year-old Northern Ireland international has suffered medial ligament damage, his club said.
  • mikew1985 12 Mar 2014 10:57:04 12,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shame for him, he's a decent player.

I was critical of his diving (earlier in the game) on Saturday but he was obviously hurt in this incident on second viewing.
    I actually thought this might have been worse on seeing the replays though.
  • The-Bodybuilder 12 Mar 2014 14:50:37 14,127 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just glad the ref made the right call.

Oh.
  • DreadedWalrus 12 Mar 2014 17:58:51 352 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder It wasn't really a foul though, to me. People get bundled into each other all the time, though usually on set pieces. Neither Rooney nor van Persie did anything wrong, IMO, and a booking for any one of the three would have been a bad decision.
  • Shikasama 12 Mar 2014 18:05:58 6,741 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hernandez would have been a golden boot winner 6/7 years ago.

Unfortunately his skillset is a bit out of fashion now.
  • mikew1985 12 Mar 2014 18:13:32 12,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Just glad the ref made the right call.

Oh.
    Huh? There was no foul.
  • The-Bodybuilder 12 Mar 2014 23:38:10 14,127 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't mind me, I'm just trolling.
  • mcmonkeyplc 12 Mar 2014 23:43:12 39,435 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I see Welshit is in vogue with certain United fans too :p

Come and get it cumslingers!

• thedaveeyres 13 Mar 2014 09:26:45 10,850 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Interesting stuff, I'm sure you'll agree.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• nickthegun 13 Mar 2014 09:29:34 59,416 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TURN YOUR PHONE AROUND

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• thedaveeyres 13 Mar 2014 09:31:26 10,850 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I quite like the black border. Seems very apt for Spurs' season.

It's not my image

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• mikew1985 13 Mar 2014 09:35:08 12,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I see Welshit is in vogue with certain United fans too :p
    Absolutely not. First thing I said in the pub on Saturday when he scored was "he's still shit".

I do recognise his supposed merits and the weaknesses of Hernandez though. If I had my way it would be a front four of onyl the following players always:

Mata, Rooney, RVP, Januzaj, Kagawa (I LOVE HIM!).
  • mikew1985 13 Mar 2014 09:56:58 12,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:

Interesting stuff, I'm sure you'll agree.
    Or just, you know, what happens when you sack a really good young manager with tactical nous after a couple of poor results and replace him with a young manager wiht no tactical nous who is generally a complete tosser.
  • TheSaint 13 Mar 2014 09:58:50 14,292 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A good tactical brain isn't worth much if you can't motivate / bond with the players though.
  • spindle9988 13 Mar 2014 09:59:56 3,528 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I dont hate shrewood but it was still such a strange decision. It would of been nice to see an english manager do well. As has been said before in this thread though, it just seemed like a massive step backwards
  • TheSaint 13 Mar 2014 10:02:14 14,292 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it was actually quite sensible.

You don't stand much chance of getting a really good manager mid-season and at the point he was sacked achieving top four was already unlikely so just getting someone in to steady the ship and take them through to the end of the season was a good move.
  • morriss 13 Mar 2014 10:04:55 70,928 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rumours are AVB wanted out and had alienated everyone. Apparently he net with Levy and indirectly asked to be fired. Wouldn't budge, wouldn't compromise.

I'm still convinced he threw the match against Liverpool. It was obvious to everyone that our defensive line was far too high and he didn't change it. He just sat and watched us get punished over and over again.

That was strange. He had his won agenda and the interest of the team was secondary.
  • Mr_Sleep 13 Mar 2014 10:09:14 16,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Considering the drubbings that Spurs got from certain teams that is a pretty damning set of statistics. Although, it's probably not really fair in some ways as Sherwood has had much less time and his team have played teams under different circumstances.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Dairyfree 13 Mar 2014 10:17:51 1,142 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    morriss wrote:
    Rumours are AVB wanted out and had alienated everyone. Apparently he net with Levy and indirectly asked to be fired. Wouldn't budge, wouldn't compromise.

I'm still convinced he threw the match against Liverpool. It was obvious to everyone that our defensive line was far too high and he didn't change it. He just sat and watched us get punished over and over again.

That was strange. He had his won agenda and the interest of the team was secondary.
    Why did he want out though? He got given cash i the summer, unless the DoF was buying players he wasn't happy with.
  • Page

of 5370 First / Last