of 5486 First / Last

• The-Bodybuilder 3 Nov 2013 22:58:23 14,207 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Clear penalty there.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 3 Nov 2013 22:58:54 9,839 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Times gave Arteta a 6 in their player ratings.

And Gerrard a 7. Lol.
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Nov 2013 23:03:22 14,207 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hollywood Stevie must always get a minimum of a 7.
    Arleta is foreign, and could even play for England. They must keep him back.
  • Bremenacht 3 Nov 2013 23:19:46 18,286 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GotM for me:

• Bremenacht 3 Nov 2013 23:26:47 18,286 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    This is worth a read about Spurs' attack:http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/03/tottenham
    That's a good read. It has echoes of what kalel(?) said about Spurs last year, and AVB's performance. Work in progress, basically. It's too much to hope that all the new signings will work out. Most will though.
  • captbirdseye 4 Nov 2013 10:55:16 4,995 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jonjo Shelvey = lol
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Nov 2013 11:07:17 17,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    This is worth a read about Spurs' attack: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/03/tottenham
    It seems to be a pretty common problem these days. Everything is so tight and most teams' are playing in quite a similar pattern with a defensive counter-attack principle. It's really how clinical the final pass and the striker are that make the difference.

Take the Villa match on Saturday as an example, it looked like a boring match and indeed it was in places but on reflection there were two or three very good chances for Villa and some for West Ham but the wrong choice was made or there was a lack of finesse at the crucial moment. This seems to be the difference quite often and when things aren't quite going right those chances just don't come off.

You are a factory of sadness.

• robc84 4 Nov 2013 11:23:26 5,638 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    This is worth a read about Spurs' attack: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/03/tottenham
    It seems to be a pretty common problem these days. Everything is so tight and most teams' are playing in quite a similar pattern with a defensive counter-attack principle. It's really how clinical the final pass and the striker are that make the difference.

Take the Villa match on Saturday as an example, it looked like a boring match and indeed it was in places but on reflection there were two or three very good chances for Villa and some for West Ham but the wrong choice was made or there was a lack of finesse at the crucial moment. This seems to be the difference quite often and when things aren't quite going right those chances just don't come off.
    To follow on from this, some decent analysis from Savage, who I actually really like as a pundit as he doesn't have any 'big club bias'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24794729
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Nov 2013 11:25:20 17,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    To follow on from this, some decent analysis from Savage, who I actually really like as a pundit as he doesn't have any 'big club bias'.
    He does have an anti-Villa bias but that's a different thing, of course.

That is a good article though, very balanced.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 11:29:30 04-11-2013

• faux_carnation 4 Nov 2013 11:25:24 9,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    The Times gave Arteta a 6 in their player ratings.

And Gerrard a 7. Lol.
    WTF? That's mental.
  • kalel 4 Nov 2013 11:27:59 87,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think as Eriksen and Lemala get a grip on the PL, our issues will resolve themselves. Both are potentially the kind of assist machines that is really what we're missing.

In the meantime, I think AVB just needs to be a tad braver, and make slightly better use of Sigurddsson and Dembele. The former may not offer as much energy in the centre as Holtby, but he is a significant goal threat, and I think Dembele should always be one of the two "defensive" midfileders. Sandro and Paunlinho should be an either/or for me, especially at home.

Looking forward to Capoue coming back as well. Shame about his injury, he was looking like the pick of our signings at the season's start.
  • Reacher 4 Nov 2013 11:30:46 834 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I can't believe Lukaku was booked for for colliding with Lloris.
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Nov 2013 11:32:47 39,457 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can't believe Lloris wasn't taken off.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• THFourteen 4 Nov 2013 11:34:24 33,445 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't believe Friedel had to sit down again
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Nov 2013 11:34:53 17,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I do find it strange that Chadli isn't getting mentioned at all in the Spurs-attack conversation, he has looked good every time I have seen him play and he does try to get the ball in the box and doesn't always try to cut inside. He's also a good option as a lofted out-ball as he's fairly good in the air. Personally I'd try to have him play into the channels more but then comes the problem of everyone playing against Spurs at a very deep-lying level.

• Mr_Sleep 4 Nov 2013 11:36:10 17,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I can't believe Friedel had to sit down again
    At his age I'm sure he says oof and ah as he gets up and sits down. I did like his reaction to it all.

• TheSaint 4 Nov 2013 11:39:29 14,417 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't believe Vertonghen wasn't booked for diving.

Edited by TheSaint at 11:39:42 04-11-2013
  • kalel 4 Nov 2013 11:39:36 87,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chadli is kind of the forgotten man at the moment.

Part of the "problem" we're having is that Andros has against all expectations made himself undroppable, whereas I suspect we were planing for him to be a squad player. This has had significant ripple effects on the rest of the squad. It's a good problem to have, but I doubt we'd have bought Chadli if we'd have realised how good Townsend was going to be this year. We might even have rethought Lemala tbh.
  • robc84 4 Nov 2013 11:40:22 5,638 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Not that I want to see Paulihno dropped, as he hasn't really done anything wrong, but Sandro really is a beast in the DM position. Really offers protection for the back 4. For most away games and the tough home games he should probably be 1st pick DM imo.

Not sure where the other 3 fit in really. Dembele looks class on the ball but never really seems to go anywhere with it. Paulinho has shown lots of energy but again not a great deal of end product.

Not really sure what sort of midfielder Capoue is.
  • robc84 4 Nov 2013 11:43:25 5,638 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I also think re the wingers, we should try the novel approach of playing left footers on the left and right footers on the right. May actually get a few more balls into the box.

Maybe not all the time, but it could stretch the game a bit when it is too congested in the middle.
  • kalel 4 Nov 2013 11:47:06 87,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't mind the inverted wingers, but yes, a bit of switching-up would make us slightly less predictable. I just feel like we're very easy to defend against, because everything comes through the middle, and generally at a pretty slow pace.
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Nov 2013 11:47:44 39,457 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can't believe no one has said I can't believe it's not butter yet.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• THFourteen 4 Nov 2013 11:48:14 33,445 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats pretty much how Arsenal played for the last 3-4 years IMO.

Against a well organised defence, we struggle.
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Nov 2013 11:48:36 17,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Part of the "problem" we're having is that Andros has against all expectations made himself undroppable
    It's a curious thing that I have read quite a few opinions from Spurs fans that suggest he isn't quite up to the mantle he has been given by some. He was very dangerous against our lot but there wasn't a great deal of end product either and I suspect it has been similar in other matches. It could, of course, just be a generic backlash I suppose.

• Shikasama 4 Nov 2013 11:48:41 6,843 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Chadli is kind of the forgotten man at the moment.

Part of the "problem" we're having is that Andros has against all expectations made himself undroppable, whereas I suspect we were planing for him to be a squad player. This has had significant ripple effects on the rest of the squad. It's a good problem to have, but I doubt we'd have bought Chadli if we'd have realised how good Townsend was going to be this year. We might even have rethought Lemala tbh.
    I think you could quite easily drop Mr 'Cut inside and blast the ball over the bar'.
  • THFourteen 4 Nov 2013 11:50:18 33,445 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    to be fair to Townsend, he's doing exactly what Bale did, only he's not quite as good yet.
  • robc84 4 Nov 2013 11:51:42 5,638 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I don't mind the inverted wingers, but yes, a bit of switching-up would make us slightly less predictable. I just feel like we're very easy to defend against, because everything comes through the middle, and generally at a pretty slow pace.
    Yep, very predictable. Put 10 behind the ball, watch us pass it sideways, hope for a lucky break. And to be fair it is effective against us.

I'd like to Eriksen get a few more games tbh.

I would also be tempted to play the likes of Soldado in a couple of European games to maybe settle in a bit more and maybe score a couple for confidence. Harsh on Defoe though.
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Nov 2013 11:52:11 17,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    to be fair to Townsend, he's doing exactly what Bale did, only he's not quite as good yet.
    That's just not true, Bale's delivery was always pretty top notch and he would mix it up with drives to the byline as well as shots from distance. It was only in his last season at Spurs that he started shooting more imo.

• kalel 4 Nov 2013 11:52:26 87,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Thats pretty much how Arsenal played for the last 3-4 years IMO.

Against a well organised defence, we struggle.
    You guys have always been characterised by trying to walk it in, but there's no issue in creating chances. You just sometimes seem to be scared to commit to taking them.

We usually look like we're 1-0 up and trying to kill a game even when we're not though. We're brilliant at keeping the ball, but you never get the sense that we're probing or really testing a defence. We just pass it around and hope for a miracle.
  • kalel 4 Nov 2013 11:54:59 87,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Townsend is far from the finished product and yes, he's a little wasteful. But he plays with belief and he's tireless, and causes a lot of problems because of it. Without him we'd be even easier to defend against.
  • Page

of 5486 First / Last