The all-new Premier League thread Page 3727

• Page

of 5621 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 2 Jul 2013 12:43:08 17,295 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I should point out that he makes it sound like Sumption gaffed by stating this information but that's not quite fair. It was a necessary argument as part of the explanation of the circumstances surrounding Berezovsky and Abramovich's relationship and business dealings.

I somehow doubt the SSN presenters and Cascarino even know the details of the case, which is amazing since they no doubt get all excited about Abramovich's profile.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 12:44:40 02-07-2013

You are a factory of sadness.

• Steve_Perry 2 Jul 2013 12:43:22 5,016 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It says a lot about sky that they are even bothering to celebrate an owners ten year tenancy. Fair enough for reporting it but rubbing his shaft all day speaks volumes to me.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• vijay_UK 2 Jul 2013 12:44:47 2,325 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    @mikew1985

As you say, the really amazing thing about the clip isn't the subject matter, but just how badly Sky presenters (and indeed the entire format) crumbles when someone with an original and well-informed (and articulated) view comes on. They just don't know what to do.
    Spot on. Syed certainly has balls, credit to him.
  • Mr_Sleep 2 Jul 2013 12:47:35 17,295 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    @mikew1985

As you say, the really amazing thing about the clip isn't the subject matter, but just how badly Sky presenters (and indeed the entire format) crumbles when someone with an original and well-informed (and articulated) view comes on. They just don't know what to do.
    Spot on. Syed certainly has balls, credit to him.
    Credit to him for going on telly and pointing out some of the truths about the Abramovich situation but the thing is, this isn't a scoop or privileged information, it was an open court and anyone could have walked in and listened to the case. He's just being a proper journalist. Not to dilute his skill or his points but it's not like he's going to be done away with because of his secret information. He's not going to suddenly come down with a mysterious illness or something ;-)

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 12:48:02 02-07-2013

• oceanmotion 2 Jul 2013 12:48:39 16,099 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good video. Never thought of it that way. Thought they were just splurging because they could.

Sure I've seen Roman in the background when Putin was on the rise in documentaries so I'm not so sure he is protecting himself, more a mutual understanding involving lots of money.

Edited by oceanmotion at 12:53:39 02-07-2013
  • mikew1985 2 Jul 2013 12:54:10 12,986 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    @mikew1985

Yep, the desperate attempts to point out corruption existing in other forms of business to somehow justify the stance they take is equally cringe worthy.

It happens everywhere else so it's ok!
  • vijay_UK 2 Jul 2013 12:57:47 2,325 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

You're right ofc, nonetheless to have him speak out out on a major channel is admirable. That's how you hurt people - speak out and don't hide. Hopefully it can be a deterrent.
  • Mr_Sleep 2 Jul 2013 13:01:42 17,295 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    @Mr_Sleep

You're right ofc, nonetheless to have him speak out out on a major channel is admirable. That's how you hurt people - speak out and don't hide. Hopefully it can be a deterrent.
    Yeah, I'm not attempting to suggest what he's done isn't admirable, it's good that someone brings this stuff up. The thing is, no Chelsea fan will care and people such as Abramovich are well aware of this. Hell, the government probably love him and the amount of money he brings into the country. Where would we be without the money syphoned off from other countries?

• Deleted user 2 July 2013 13:08:24
    He's not saying anything ballsy or even controversial. It's just amazing how nobody even considered someone might say stuff like this when asked, and that nobody is able to engage with it.
  • Deleted user 2 July 2013 13:13:19
    Shikasama wrote:
    The hilarious bit is when Tits comes in and she thinks shes doing a good journalism by asking her ridiculous question.
    Actually that was when I slightly lost some respect for him. She asked an utterly fatuous and pointless question and he treated it with far too much respect because she's pretty. I think he even said it was a fair point or something.
  • Humperfunk 2 Jul 2013 13:16:25 2,401 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    "Deeply corrosive effect on English football"

Superb

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Kay 2 Jul 2013 13:18:36 17,955 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    The hilarious bit is when Tits comes in and she thinks shes doing a good journalism by asking her ridiculous question.
    Actually that was when I slightly lost some respect for him. She asked an utterly fatuous and pointless question and he treated it with far too much respect because she's pretty. I think he even said it was a fair point or something.
    It wasn't an entirely pointless observation - she said that Chelsea's spending power has made the PL what it is today, which is a fair point. Before 2003 it was still rare for top-level international players to join a PL club whilst in their prime.
  • Humperfunk 2 Jul 2013 13:20:20 2,401 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Christ it gets worse and worse, Kirsty Gallagher embarrassing herself saying he put English football "on the map", what?

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Deleted user 2 July 2013 13:20:38
    @Kay

It has absolutely nothing to do with what he was saying. In fact worse than that, his point was that people celebrating what he's done for Chelsea and the PL in general are ignoring the morally corrupt and completely selfishly motivated way he's done it. So her "point" was in fact reinforcing his.
  • Deleted user 2 July 2013 13:21:55
    Plus also it's bollocks anyway. We were well established as the top league in Europe before he came along.
  • vijay_UK 2 Jul 2013 13:25:54 2,325 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:
    @Mr_Sleep

Yeah, I'm not attempting to suggest what he's done isn't admirable, it's good that someone brings this stuff up. The thing is, no Chelsea fan will care and people such as Abramovich are well aware of this. Hell, the government probably love him and the amount of money he brings into the country. Where would we be without the money syphoned off from other countries?
    Yup spot on. And unsurprisingly, as you say, Chelsea fans care not one bit as long as the trophies arrive but that is where the credibility lies - with Chelsea's own fans.
  • Kay 2 Jul 2013 13:39:45 17,955 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Plus also it's bollocks anyway. We were well established as the top league in Europe before he came along.
    Really? I'd say that in 2003 both Serie A and La Liga were considered more glamorous and higher quality than the PL. It's only after PL clubs started regularly getting into CL finals that it could lay claim to the best league in Europe title, imo.

But anyway, I'm certainly not saying that Roman has been good for English football. But Kirsty Gallacher did have a point in a way, despite the rather trite way she put it, that his millions did help the PL become what it is today, for better or for worse.
  • The-Bodybuilder 2 Jul 2013 13:59:51 14,401 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think viewing figures would say that pre-chelsea that PL probably got higher views than any other league. But yeah, chelski clearly ushered in a new era of the super-club to spend away their problems.

Funny how this page is absent of chelsea fans commenting.
  • Deleted user 2 July 2013 14:03:27
    Everything is "a point". Hers had nothing to do with what he was saying, and made her look like a cretin.
  • Dougs 2 Jul 2013 14:16:41 69,125 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Those millions are more to do with the success of the PL than just how much Chelsea spent. You could argue that them spending big has brought world class players in and improved the quality, but I'm not sure that's the case, bar a couple. Cech, Essien, Drogba. They've bought good players, but mostly overpaid and led to the silly figures paid for some players these days. All clubs spent big off the back of increasing TV deals, commercials and ticket prices

I;ve not seen the vid yet btw somight be getting the wrong end of the stick.
  • nickthegun 2 Jul 2013 14:21:47 61,118 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Everything is "a point". Hers had nothing to do with what he was saying, and made her look like a cretin.
    To be fair to her, she probably had a producer screaming in her ear 'FOR FUCKS SAKE, GET THIS BACK TO FOOTBALL! ITS SSN NOT FUCKING QUESTION TIME!' and went for the first thing that came into her head.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 2 July 2013 14:23:03
    The current status of the PL probably has more to do with Ken Bates, Dave Dein and Alan Sugar than it does Abramovitch. They set the wheels in motion and changed the culture so that big players saw England as a viable option. They brought the likes of Bergamp, Klinsmann and Zola to the PL.

Yes, it's evolved since then and we now get some of the top players in the prime of their career as opposed to the end (although in truth the absolute cream still go to Spain first), but I really don't think he's been more than a catalyst at the most. He just brought more money in. The cultural shift had already happened.
  • nickthegun 2 Jul 2013 14:24:49 61,118 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, on a tangent, Syeds book about the myth of talent is excellent.

• nickthegun 2 Jul 2013 14:26:12 61,118 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the only thing it has done is make the PL more attractive to foreign owners.

• Deleted user 2 July 2013 14:28:44
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think the only thing it has done is make the PL more attractive to foreign owners.
    That is basically what Sky seem to be celebrating really. They actually said that City wouldn't have happened if it weren't for him. It's just all so crass.
  • Blotto 2 Jul 2013 14:34:55 2,777 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    With twitter now being a lot faster and about as accurate for transfer news SSN is now completely irrelevant.

Don't understand why anyone would watch it tbh.
  • IMO 2 Jul 2013 14:41:56 5,726 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blotto wrote:
    With twitter now being a lot faster and about as accurate for transfer news SSN is now completely irrelevant.

Don't understand why anyone would watch it tbh.
    Transfer gossip just looks so much better on SSN. Can't quite put my finger on it though...
  • RedSparrows 2 Jul 2013 14:52:43 23,926 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Great stuff from Matthew Syed on Abramovich on SSN. Don't think they'll invite him back on anytime soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmCtci6cen8
    Awesome.

This is what football discussion should be, rather than 'OMG ROONEY HAVING TALKS WITH MOYES AGAIN AND HE MIGHT LEAVE OH WILL HE? NOT SURE GARETH, HE CERTAINLY SHOT AT GOAL THERE.'
  • askew 2 Jul 2013 14:52:47 12,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Maybe he'a like Robinho where he thought he was signing for someone else and just realised it's Spurs.
    "The San Antonio Spurs? DEAL!"
  • Page

of 5621 First / Last