The all-new Premier League thread Page 3554

• Page

of 5467 First / Last

• Trowel 9 May 2013 10:03:25 17,741 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stiliyan Petrov has announced his retirement.
  • Commander-Keen 9 May 2013 10:05:22 808 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Yeah. Sad times.
  • morriss 9 May 2013 10:05:58 70,975 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Moyes: 6 months in. Moyes' first season. Does MOyes have what it takes against Bayern/Madrid/Barca? Moyes. MOYES. MANCHESTER UNITED.
  • nickthegun 9 May 2013 10:07:03 59,854 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Realistically, who is going to pay Rooney 250 large a week, especially when it appears his best days are behind him?

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deckard1 9 May 2013 10:08:08 27,981 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SparkyMarky81 wrote:
    addyb wrote:
    SparkyMarky81 wrote:
    @addyb

You might not of watched a lot of our games, but you are spot on. We've been shite.
    Any particular area or right across the board? When you made a few signings in Jan you picked up a little bit then but it didn't seem to last long.
    Personally, I think Pardew has been out-thought tactically by most of the other sides we have met. We quite often start well but play poorly in the 2nd half and he doesn't seem to have an effective plan B when things don't go well.

Injuries haven't helped and the squad should have been strengthened last summer too. Players like Jonas and Tiote have been out of form most of the season but Pardew keeps picking them.

The rot started to set in when we changed the formation to accomodate Ba and Cisse in the same team.

I'm not that confident Pardew would turn things around next season either, if we survive this one.
    I think we'd have more chance of staying up if Wigan had won against Swansea strangely, as we would have had to play for the win at QPR. As it is, a point against QPR will probably keep us up and Pardew is going to know that. Que an ultra defensive team selection, and and sitting back in our own half all game. I can't see us getting anything out of the game, and Arsenal will probably give us a hammering. Wigan will get the win against Villa, and we'll go down on goal difference.
  • Jono62 9 May 2013 10:08:59 14,117 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    :( Hope he is giving some sort of role at the club.
  • Shikasama 9 May 2013 10:12:02 6,827 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You're all shining beacons of optimism this morning aren't you.
  • nickthegun 9 May 2013 10:17:38 59,854 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If Pardew plays for a point against QPR, he should be sacked regardless of whether or not they stay up.

• Steve_Perry 9 May 2013 10:18:02 4,134 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Realistically, who is going to pay Rooney 250 large a week, especially when it appears his best days are behind him?
    Chelsea or City I reckon, because they both don't deal in realism when it comes to transfers.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Trowel 9 May 2013 10:18:36 17,741 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Moyes: 6 months in. Moyes' first season. Does MOyes have what it takes against Bayern/Madrid/Barca? Moyes. MOYES. MANCHESTER UNITED.
    Moyes: "Signing Bale was just to piss morriss off."
  • imamazed 9 May 2013 10:18:45 5,569 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think 'Arry will get 'im at QPR next season.
  • LeoliansBro 9 May 2013 10:19:40 44,118 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    If Pardew plays for a point against QPR, he should be sacked regardless of whether or not they stay up.
    Have to agree.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 9 May 2013 10:23:39 59,854 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Chelsea or City I reckon, because they both don't deal in realism when it comes to transfers.
    I cant see either of them offering him that kind of contract when there are alternatives out there.

But, you never know, I suppose.

• Steve_Perry 9 May 2013 10:25:42 4,134 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm not convinced he will be able to recapture his best form now. If it is psychological and he wants a move, then good luck to him. I dare say having a new manager might make him rethink slightly.

His best option is to stay. Not many players go on to bigger things after leaving united.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• teamHAM 9 May 2013 10:29:28 2,931 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Have to agree.
    Pardew plays for a point every game. He works on defence in training, and leaves the rest up to our dinosaur coaches. Although we've seen little evidence of anything this season.

But his whole mentality is not to get beat, by hook or by crook. Even if it means playing players out of position which he has done for pretty much his entire tenure. The difference between this season and last was that we had worldies from Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Cisse at regularly spaced intervals to win us games we were not performing in. This season of course all three are either injured or badly out of form. In addition to that a few sides performed well below par (ie Chelsea and Liverpool).

The people and journo's that wrote after last season that it was the "Return of the Entertainers" clearly didn't watch us at all.

We played 3 defensive midfielders and set up not to get beat against Liverpool and we lost 0-6. We will set up not to get beat v QPR and hope for the best.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Blaketown 9 May 2013 10:29:40 4,649 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    His best option is to stay. Not many players go on to bigger things after leaving united.
    Slowly coming round to the idea he might see out his contract at United and then move to Everton on a free when he turns 30.

United are unlikely to offer him a renewed deal on the same money and another club would have to be mental to pay a transfer fee and match/beat his current deal too.

The question is how mental are Chelsea/City/PSG.

Edited by Blaketown at 10:30:14 09-05-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• LeoliansBro 9 May 2013 10:32:17 44,118 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh I totally agree. But if we don't go out to win against QPR we don't belong in the Premiership. More to the point, Pardew doesn't belong on the touchline.

• President_Weasel 9 May 2013 10:49:53 9,288 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    If Pardew plays for a point against QPR he should be tarred and feathered, and horsewhipped through the Bigg Market.
  • LeoliansBro 9 May 2013 11:03:55 44,118 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fergie in figures.

• White_Shadow 9 May 2013 11:15:35 2,537 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Have to agree.
    Pardew plays for a point every game. He works on defence in training, and leaves the rest up to our dinosaur coaches. Although we've seen little evidence of anything this season.

But his whole mentality is not to get beat, by hook or by crook. Even if it means playing players out of position which he has done for pretty much his entire tenure. The difference between this season and last was that we had worldies from Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Cisse at regularly spaced intervals to win us games we were not performing in. This season of course all three are either injured or badly out of form. In addition to that a few sides performed well below par (ie Chelsea and Liverpool).

The people and journo's that wrote after last season that it was the "Return of the Entertainers" clearly didn't watch us at all.

We played 3 defensive midfielders and set up not to get beat against Liverpool and we lost 0-6. We will set up not to get beat v QPR and hope for the best.
    I think Pardew gets too much blame. In playing 3 defensive midfielders and losing you can give him some blame for lacking ambition, but the score and manner of defeat has to blamed on the players (imo).

Not that I think he's any good or is the long term answer, but at least last season we were usually in the position to win games because we kept clean sheets. This season we've been defensively poor, partly in a tactical way, but more often with individual bad play and mistakes which I don't think you can lump Pardew with.

Edited by White_Shadow at 11:17:28 09-05-2013
  • mikew1985 9 May 2013 11:19:48 12,735 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    I don't know about that, they seem to have a decent enough relationship on the field and from what I've seen.
    Ok. Are you married? If you were caught shagging whores every few years would you still be married at the end of it?
    Huh?

I'm talking about Rooney and RvP, couldn't give two hoots about his personal life. Unless I'm missing some joke in your post there.
  • teamHAM 9 May 2013 11:19:54 2,931 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aye, don't get me wrong I don't completely shield players from blame, just like in 09.

It's a vicious circle, manager has to motivate players, players have to play to manager's system. Players want fans to support them so they can perform, fans want players to give them a reason to support them.

Etc.

One thing is for certain, it's not good enough and I expect big changes in the summer (provided we stay up, although there will be big changes if we go down aswell I'd imagine).

• nickthegun 9 May 2013 11:26:20 59,854 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    I don't know about that, they seem to have a decent enough relationship on the field and from what I've seen.
    Ok. Are you married? If you were caught shagging whores every few years would you still be married at the end of it?
    Huh?

I'm talking about Rooney and RvP, couldn't give two hoots about his personal life. Unless I'm missing some joke in your post there.
    Yeah, I was corrected on the previous page.

• Deleted user 9 May 2013 11:30:20
    I think what may save padrew and give him a 6 game run next season is, the amount of injuries newcastle had all the way up to january. No matter the calibre of your squad being in a relagation battle takes it toll.

Saying that they should have kicked on in the last 6 or so games for the decent position they got themselves back into.
  • kalel 9 May 2013 11:33:16 87,564 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If Newcastle sack Pardew then they're idiots. The whole point of the mega-contract was to show faith and say "we know you're good, so even if you have a blip we still want you here for the long term".

And frankly I think that's right. I think he is good and I think this season probably is a blip.

If they sack him they're right back where they were - a joke of a club that nobody will want to manage.
  • nickthegun 9 May 2013 11:35:49 59,854 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I said it quite a few pages ago but they overachieved last season and underachieved this season. Both blips and I think they will quickly settle into the pack in the middle of the table if yo ustick with pards.

• teamHAM 9 May 2013 11:35:59 2,931 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One thing I do have a little sympathy with Pardew with is the January window.

We knew full well we'd have European games this season, should have strengthened, didn't. We played 14 times Thursday and then Sunday with basically not enough players.

So in January Ashley makes the marquee signings with 20m or whatever it was, except none of them knew the PL, two of them were horrendously out of condition, and the English was poor. And then instant results were expected.

January has never been a good month to do business (unless Liverpool are around) and Ashley/Llambias have at least admitted they made a gross error by not enforcing in the summer.

• spindle9988 9 May 2013 11:40:26 3,586 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sturridge and Coutinho are 2 of the best Jan signings for a long time. Cant understnad why inter sold Coutinho, he's 20 years old and looks like a great player in the making
  • roz123 9 May 2013 11:49:14 7,113 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BT sport are making announcements today. Sounds like it will all be free for BT broadband customers
  • THFourteen 9 May 2013 11:52:36 33,391 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    and the English was poor
    Nobody speaks English at Newcastle.
  • Page

of 5467 First / Last