Next
  • Load_2.0 13 Jan 2011 15:47:59 18,886 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Use a fork.
  • shamblemonkee 13 Jan 2011 15:48:38 14,261 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    from a quick peruse of the net yeah 100-200 is looking likely.
  • Load_2.0 13 Jan 2011 16:02:16 18,886 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also buy her phone halo for birthday/christmas.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20000938-248.html
  • PhoenixFlames 9 Jan 2012 08:39:10 8,899 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can anyone tell me if this is genuine or dodgy?

I'm all set to buy a car from someone on Wednesday, the only thing that seems odd to me is that he is a dealer who is selling it from his private home address. He says he gets the cars (all part exchange) through his agent to sell on. I'm guessing that's just where some older cars go as some dealers take a part exchange but don't really want the older car on the their forecourt...?

I've been to view it, taken a test drive (well the missus has) and checked the VIN numbers on the engine against the V5C registration document. All fine. I have also seen a VOSA MOT certificate saying it passed as well as older service certificates for work carried out.

He wants cash payment but he will be delivering it and handing over the keys before I pay so it seems all good. I'm just worrying I've missed something being a car noob. Definitely not the sort of person to get scammed but this isn't an area of expertise.

Edited by PhoenixFlames at 08:39:45 09-01-2012

PSN - phoenix1flames

• billythekid 9 Jan 2012 09:41:03 11,023 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Knowing a few car dealers, the reason for the deal he's set up is because this is a 'cash car'.
    Basically it's not going through his books, it came in for cash and if it goes out for cash then there's no record and no tax to pay.
    The car itself will probably be fine and if it's a good deal then it's not something that would bother me.
  • PhoenixFlames 9 Jan 2012 09:56:55 8,899 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Knowing a few car dealers, the reason for the deal he's set up is because this is a 'cash car'.
    Basically it's not going through his books, it came in for cash and if it goes out for cash then there's no record and no tax to pay.
    The car itself will probably be fine and if it's a good deal then it's not something that would bother me.
    Fair enough. I'm happy with that. Thanks.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Jacksie66 9 Jan 2012 12:23:11 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My first car was a 97 Opel Corsa i got for €500. Cracking little car.

The insurance for a year cost me €3200 though....
  • PhoenixFlames 9 Jan 2012 13:09:27 8,899 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is a Renault Clio 1.4 Expression Automatic, 52 Reg, 50,000 miles for 1750

Edited by PhoenixFlames at 13:09:55 09-01-2012

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Madder-Max 9 Jan 2012 13:18:05 11,618 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Would stay away from Renault or peugot if were you. My Brother in law owns agarage and they are the most unreliable for parts apparently as he see the same cars evey 6 months or so for steering rods, brake pads etc...

99 problems and being ginger is one

• DaM 9 Jan 2012 13:25:50 12,898 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jacksie66 wrote:

Bloody hell!

I had a meeting with a bloke this morning about a website we are doing, but his day job is an insurance investigator - he told me a few of the scams that are done, it's unbelievable. Basically the fraudsters know that they would lose in a court if the insurance company disputed...but it would cost the insurance so many 1000s in legal costs, it's cheaper just to pay them a lesser amount to bugger off. And everyone, from garages, to no win/no fee lawyers are in on lots of the scams, they all make money from them.
  • PhoenixFlames 9 Jan 2012 13:28:56 8,899 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Would stay away from Renault or peugot if were you. My Brother in law owns agarage and they are the most unreliable for parts apparently as he see the same cars evey 6 months or so for steering rods, brake pads etc...
    I've read conflicting reviews. Some well known sites say it's a good second hand buy. Some owners says it's the most reliable car they have ever had, some say the opposite.

All I know is that it's low mileage, only just had the cambelt changed (which I understand would cost around 600 and has to be done every 50,000 mikes ish), has just passed an MOT and has quite a lot of service history paperwork. The test drive was smooth.

Also, my sister in law has a very old one that still going and my gf had a 52 reg Peugeot for years that never went wrong.

I appreciate the advice though. I imagine I could search for any car and find bad reviews of it. It's a bit like diagnosing yourself on the internet...sooner or later you will find a site telling you that you might have a brain tumour.. ;-)

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Dougs 9 Jan 2012 13:40:36 66,653 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oooh, cam belt, that reminds me, sure my garage recommended that I change mine at some point (05 Focus). Really should get that done....
  • Jacksie66 9 Jan 2012 13:41:39 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Jacksie66 wrote:

Bloody hell!

I had a meeting with a bloke this morning about a website we are doing, but his day job is an insurance investigator - he told me a few of the scams that are done, it's unbelievable. Basically the fraudsters know that they would lose in a court if the insurance company disputed...but it would cost the insurance so many 1000s in legal costs, it's cheaper just to pay them a lesser amount to bugger off. And everyone, from garages, to no win/no fee lawyers are in on lots of the scams, they all make money from them.
    Thats a standard insurance quote here in Ireland for a young first time driver. My 18 year old brother got quoted €6000 on a 98 Fiat Punto off Quinn Direct..

€6000 !!!
  • billythekid 9 Jan 2012 13:44:12 11,023 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When cam belts go bad.
  • Madder-Max 9 Jan 2012 13:44:35 11,618 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Madder-Max wrote:
    I've read conflicting reviews. Some well known sites say it's a good second hand buy. Some owners says it's the most reliable car they have ever had, some say the opposite.

All I know is that it's low mileage, only just had the cambelt changed (which I understand would cost around 600 and has to be done every 50,000 mikes ish), has just passed an MOT and has quite a lot of service history paperwork. The test drive was smooth.

Also, my sister in law has a very old one that still going and my gf had a 52 reg Peugeot for years that never went wrong.

I appreciate the advice though. I imagine I could search for any car and find bad reviews of it. It's a bit like diagnosing yourself on the internet...sooner or later you will find a site telling you that you might have a brain tumour.. ;-)
    Apparently it mostly on suspension parts like the bushes, rods and wings and brakes that need regularly replacing.

• Madder-Max 9 Jan 2012 13:45:53 11,618 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cam belts are susceptible on the more powerful cars like scubies (need replacing at 50,000 miles) 3 litre V6 Omegas (40,000 miles) etc

• PhoenixFlames 9 Jan 2012 13:50:12 8,899 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Madder-Max wrote:

Apparently it mostly on suspension parts like the bushes, rods and wings and brakes that need regularly replacing.
    Thanks, I will have another look at the most recent service paperwork before I hand any money over to see if any of this has been changed recently. Probably good if it has, won't need doing for a while.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• azurelas_2 27 Jan 2013 22:41:05 1,108 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quick bump;

I have just bought a 2005 VW Golf TDI from France (I live in Belgium). It'll be transported to Belgium, at no extre cost, and all the paperwork seems to be in order. For 1500.

Just seems to good to be true
  • elstoof 27 Jan 2013 23:14:07 6,606 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hope you transferred the money via Western Union.
  • Tonka 28 Jan 2013 06:30:27 20,011 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /marks as intersting

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• azurelas_2 28 Jan 2013 10:40:23 1,108 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @elstoof I'm not that stupid (I think) ^^

No, the guy is going to come over with the car, let me test-drive it beforehand and, then, if all goes well and I'm happy with it, he'll let me buy it cash. I haven't transferred any money in any way.
    I have notified the police though, because I was stupid enough to hand over my physical address and he sounded Roma on the phone :/
  • nickthegun 28 Jan 2013 10:45:08 58,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, you are basically going to get mugged for 1500 euros. Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• mcmonkeyplc 28 Jan 2013 10:46:15 39,384 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ricky Roma?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• azurelas_2 28 Jan 2013 15:54:52 1,108 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Police are involved now
  • Concrete 28 Jan 2013 16:13:23 561 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What happened? It was obviously a scam though, the car was worth about 10 times that much.
  • azurelas_2 28 Jan 2013 19:26:51 1,108 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nothing yet, Belgian police are amongst the laziest and work-shy public servants in the EU. They're saying that they can't do anything until something bad happens, by which point I'll have lost my money if not more.

They are going to monitor the transaction, and are waiting for the chassis-number to come through
  • elstoof 28 Jan 2013 19:43:56 6,606 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What you need to do now is not actually get the cash so you don't have it on you. That way when the VW Golf full of rapists turn up they can't mug you for your cash.
  • azurelas_2 28 Jan 2013 19:54:58 1,108 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @elstoof I'll be wearing this.
  • azurelas_2 2 Feb 2013 16:42:31 1,108 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ...just bought a Ford Fiesta Zetec S (2002 model).
    The most fun I've ever had. What a brilliant little car.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next