Best "budget" tablet for internet browsing Page 6

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• mrpon 30 Nov 2011 16:29:37 28,740 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some negatives in case people think we're gushing a bit too much. Some of these are potential firmware limitations.

- no lock screen, tap the power button and it's on
    - strange screen quirks, in landscape my bottom middle app tries to move itself when I tap it
    - can't delete empty home screens nor add any more (comes with 4)
    - usb mount mode is fussy, sometimes it connects other times needs some fiddling (could be my PC)
    - kickstand is very flimsy, anyone accident prone is going to break it
    - navigation menu can't be removed and overlaps on some apps
    - webcam is pretty awful

Edited by mrpon at 16:33:57 30-11-2011

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• sport 30 Nov 2011 16:43:13 12,685 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll counter that post by saying Redtube works wonderfully! 7" in one hand, 10" in the other...
  • mrpon 30 Nov 2011 16:44:08 28,740 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh you got the 101 did you? ;)

• ReGuRgIt8oR 30 Nov 2011 16:52:30 2,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Very good mrp.

Have you got ITV Player working on it ?

Mine says device not compatible (I've installed Adobe Air)

Oh and I've got a lockscreen on mine - might be LauncherPro that does it.

Edited by ReGuRgIt8oR at 16:53:25 30-11-2011
  • sport 30 Nov 2011 16:54:15 12,685 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HA!

All good negative points mate, although I think the home screen issue might be resolved with a different launcher app - not sure - or is that purely firmware based?
  • mrpon 30 Nov 2011 17:27:37 28,740 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ReGuRgIt8oR wrote:
    Have you got ITV Player working on it ?
    Yes. Google for ITV_Player_1.0.0.apk, it works but it isn't great, slightly choppy and out of sync.

Anyone technical minded, have a look at get_iplayer (this isn't a DRM remover mods!). The interface is pretty shocking and hairy, but I've managed to negotiate the hairs and setup some BBC downloads. These work off the bat either streamed to the A70 or copied across.

Worth noting though, I've found audio sync issues with some of these downloads either streamed or even copied over. I can't pinpoint this issue and it could be size, codec, memory etc. Just something to bear in mind if this is going to be your number one video playing device.

HTH.

Edited by mrpon at 17:28:37 30-11-2011

• heavy_salad 30 Nov 2011 20:17:05 720 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Right I've ordered an Archos 70 from CPW. Got the dispatch e-mail, and it says there'll need to be someone in to sign for delivery or they'll leave a card. Will this actually happen as generally I've found the courier will stick the item in my porch or at worst give it to my neighbour, but I don't think I've ordered anything from CPW before or had Yodel deliver a parcel.

I'll be at work tomorrow most likely when it's delivered.
  • PhoenixFlames 30 Nov 2011 20:42:31 8,942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sport wrote:
    I'll counter that post by saying Redtube works wonderfully! 7" in one hand, 10" in the other...
    :-D

PSN - phoenix1flames

• ReGuRgIt8oR 1 Dec 2011 10:22:26 2,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone found a nice slip case that the Archos 70 fits into ?

Also I noticed that Carphone Warehouse ran a credit check on me despite this being a one off card purchase. No doubt buried in T
  • heavy_salad 1 Dec 2011 17:59:34 720 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fucks sake, got my Archos 70 delivered today and the bastard screen is cracked. Just came in the cardboard box in a courier bag - and the tablet itself didn't have any sort of bubble wrap or protective layer to protect the screen.

I've e-mailed CPW. Anyone had any dealings with them to know what they're like with this sort of thing? Should I expect to jump through hoops/wait for fucking ages or are they pretty quick?

EDIT: Gave them a ring in the end (said it'd take up to 4 days to reply to an e-mail). Lad on the phone said I could just take it into a local store to exchange it, which is handy enough I guess.

Edited by heavy_salad at 18:51:28 01-12-2011
  • Lt_Drebin 2 Dec 2011 10:30:33 146 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Picked mine up last night and was allowed to "check it all worked" before putting it away until xmas. Is the screen meant to have diagonal lines going across when you hold it up to the light? They look like scratches but they're regularly spaced and perfectly straight so I presume they're meant to be there.
  • sport 2 Dec 2011 10:41:04 12,685 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Drebin - I'll check mine tonight and let you know. I personally haven't noticed anything wrong with the screen - looks fine to me, but then I haven't really held it up to any light for a detailed check.
  • Lt_Drebin 2 Dec 2011 10:54:59 146 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks sport :-) Really pleased with the tablet so far - the glowing reviews on here all seem justified. Not sure why others have criticised the build quality. I think it all feels really nicely put together.

Can't wait for the 25th now. It'll be seeing me through an afternoon at the in-laws.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 2 Dec 2011 11:01:02 2,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lt_Drebin wrote:
    Picked mine up last night and was allowed to "check it all worked" before putting it away until xmas. Is the screen meant to have diagonal lines going across when you hold it up to the light? They look like scratches but they're regularly spaced and perfectly straight so I presume they're meant to be there.
    Just checked mine and it has them too.

Not noticed them until you pointed it out though.

Mine are approx 5mm apart running diag from top left to bottom right (landscape with Archos badge at bottom).
  • Lt_Drebin 2 Dec 2011 12:00:43 146 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks for checking Regurg, was wondering if it might be a defect. Not a big issue, could only see them when the screen was off and at specific angles.
  • mrpon 2 Dec 2011 12:11:28 28,740 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    mrpon, did you get a chance to try the wiimote a little more. Is it quite responsive?
    In a word, very. It's fabulous in fact, no lag at all. This is using the GameBoid Lite version. Think I'll be replaying a few GBA classics on it!

• sport 2 Dec 2011 12:37:11 12,685 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    sport wrote:
    mrpon, did you get a chance to try the wiimote a little more. Is it quite responsive?
    In a word, very. It's fabulous in fact, no lag at all. This is using the GameBoid Lite version. Think I'll be replaying a few GBA classics on it!
    Su-bloody-perb! Thanks mate. Some Castlevania beckons and perhaps some classic Zelda \o/
  • mrpon 2 Dec 2011 12:41:01 28,740 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Okay next recommendation, Marvin. It's a ZX Spectrum emulator and very good. Works again with the Wiimote (after some key mappings) and gameplay is smooth, no lag, looks gorgeous in landscape. It even connects up to WorldOfSpectrum to download the games!

Just been playing Exolon and it's funking great.

EDIT: 5000 Spectrum games is 220MB :)

Edited by mrpon at 12:47:00 02-12-2011

• sport 2 Dec 2011 18:09:07 12,685 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heads up lads - you can get it now for 95 + free delivery from E2save

http://www.e2save.com/tablets/simfree/archos/Archos-70-Ti-tablet.html?tariffcode=simfreeprice&ef_id=TBirygqoEGQAAFsLCUgAAMBF:20111202140733:s&affiliate=aw47868#features

And just in case you're a little sceptical of the company - E2save is the trading division of CPW.
  • mrpon 5 Dec 2011 10:03:21 28,740 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    sport wrote:
    Su-bloody-perb! Thanks mate. Some Castlevania beckons and perhaps some classic Zelda \o/
    Been playing quite a lot of Metroid Zero Mission over the weekend, with a Nunchuck!!. It's actually a better control method than the original! Love it.

Next update, the TV out setting. When my cable arrives.

• sport 5 Dec 2011 10:25:45 12,685 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice mate. I was setting up another one yesterday for a xmas present - installing Market etc, and one thing I have to advise is to install LauncherPro - really does change how the tablet feels - lovely, quick and flowing.

Also discovered that in Settings > About Device > Power Management (I think), there's a performance setting that is defaulted to "Optimal" - you can change it to "Overdrive" - apparently "Optimal" caps the CPU at 800Mhz, "Overdrive" allows it to go up to 1.0Ghz.

@Drebin - also found those diagonal lines, but I had to really hold it up to the light and get it at just the right angle - wouldn't have known otherwise.
  • mrpon 5 Dec 2011 10:44:35 28,740 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice EG article on retro Android gaming.

• Deleted user 7 December 2011 22:11:30
    Decided (well, fiancee decided for me) that I shoudl check the two out and set them up. Made a very stupid error and went into Market with my own email address to buy them some games (dont know their emails). Bought a few and went to set them up and delete my account... only to find the games were tied to that email address.

Bugger! SO, I'll set them up with the free stuff and then leave it to them to do the rest.

Needed to check they worked anyway. Really nice pieces of kit I think. Wouldnt mind one myself.
  • heavy_salad 8 Dec 2011 21:43:29 720 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Quick question if I may, having finally got my (working) Archos 70. I installe the Swiftkey tablet keyboard on it. However, when I hold the tablet on its side, the 'buttons' - home, settings, etc. - overlap the keyboard slightly. Anyway I can avoid this?

Also, if anyone has any general tips or tricks or mjst have apps I would greatly appreciate it, cheers.
  • mrpon 8 Dec 2011 22:50:05 28,740 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah bit of a bummer when that happens. Haven't found a way round myself, best bet could be the support pages for that keyboard. They seem to have voting system going on for new features.

• Nasty 20 Dec 2011 23:41:14 4,741 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Quick heads up. Just picked up another from CPW. This time, for the same money, I've ended up with an Archos 70 it2. This comes with 3.2 honeycomb and a 1024x600 resolution.

Edit: Still 2.2 but the higher res screen is nice and it feels a lot more responsive than the 70a.

Edited by Nasty at 00:27:08 21-12-2011
  • MattyB2007 21 Dec 2011 19:51:14 2,700 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there a way of telling the model? Might pick one up on Saturday.

Live - Revenge First,
    Wii U/PSN & Steam - Revenge_First (Matt on Wii U as well)
    3DS - Matt - 1246-8695-7316

• sport 21 Dec 2011 20:53:10 12,685 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    Quick heads up. Just picked up another from CPW. This time, for the same money, I've ended up with an Archos 70 it2. This comes with 3.2 honeycomb and a 1024x600 resolution.

Edit: Still 2.2 but the higher res screen is nice and it feels a lot more responsive than the 70a.
    Holy Shit! Should I pick up number 3....hmmmmmmmm....

Revenge, just make sure it's the 70 "Internet Tablet" ("2" in this case), and not the "Ereader", and try a demo of one before you buy, making sure the res is 1024x600. I do find the Archos naming conventions a little confusing myself tbh
  • DugBriderider 22 Dec 2011 10:48:22 528 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There seems to be strong evidence for this 70 IT2 from ArchosFans

Nasty appears to have been very lucky (perhaps a stock mistake at CPW?) if they put this one out in Januaray at the same price it puts a dampener on the one I have wrapped up for the family this Christmas.

Oh hears the press release 70b is what you need to google.
  • Nasty 22 Dec 2011 11:00:37 4,741 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah. Looking everywhere else it looks like a mistake on CPWs part. I was going hell for leather trying to get another one and couldn't get one online or in the shops. Credit to the folks at Buchanan Galleries CPW who eventually found 4 in stock at their East Kilbride store. Seems they maybe got an early delivery and marked them up wrong.

I did a firmware update but it stayed at 2.2. I suspect there will be an update to Honeycomb by the time its 'released'.

Edited by Nasty at 11:05:07 22-12-2011
  • Page

of 9 First / Last