Sega Mega Drive Vs Super Nintendo!

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 3 November 2010 20:27:47
    Now before you start about existing threads, hear me out...

Mine is different for these reasons;
    1. There will be a result at the end, unlike other threads that ask you to vote but there is no result.
    2. I am doing the same thing on CVG, so I will combine the results with theirs to get a more accurate overall result.
    3. It's just a lot easier to count everyones votes from a fresh thread.

So, on to the business...

So were you a Sega boy or was you part of the Ninty crowd? Or both!? Well all I want you to do is name your top 3 games from each console. I will then not only pick the winners from each but also count all the votes to see which console was the most loved.

As for me, I was lucky enough to have both consoles in the house (until we were burgled) for many years. So I know only the top 3 count but these are all the ones I can remember playing!

[u]SNES[/u]
    1. Super Metroid - I remember thinking "this is the coolest game EVER!" when I was a kid, also the first game to scare me. Also it is the only Metroid game I have ever palyed. :(
    SM pic

Just watching 2 mins of this video brings back so many memories!
    SM vid

2. Bubsy in: Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind - Used to LOVE this game as a nipper, played death for death with my little brother and mum.
    pic
    3. Plok - Another game I played with the family, you played this red dude that could fire off his arms and legs to hit enemies with! Very coulourful and fun game.
    pic

4.Donkey Kong Country - Played it ALL the time around my cousins!
    5.Super Mario Kart - And we would play this all the time when my cousin came over!
    6.Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts - Great series, shame I missed Maximo.
    7.Super Mario All-Stars - Great Value for money
    8.Super Mario World - Pretty sure that'd the one you can ride Yoshi in, blew me away at the time.
    9.F-Zero - Me, my brother, 2 player...awesome :D
    10.Super Street Fighter II Turbo - I only remember this 'cos even after we were burgled, we still had a copy of it!

[u]
    SEGA Mega Drive[/u]
    1. Sonic the Hedgehog - It has to be a Sonic game, played them to DEATH! And I suppose this is my favorite.
    pic

2. Wonder Boy in Monster World - An absolute classic, deffo one of the greats for me. I
    pic

3. Earthworm Jim - When I played this, i thought it was pure bad ass! It was fun to play and just funny, great game...
    pic
    4. Ghouls 'n Ghosts - It was tough and rewarding and fighting in your underwear never gets old ;)
    5. ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron - LOVED this as a lad!
    6. Altered Beast - Again I have fond memories playing it with my bro and mum...but I played it on a SEGA colection a few months ago, has not aged well :(
    7. Ristar - Very good game, borrowed it to a friend, never got it back :(
    8. Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament - Play 2-player on 1 pad? Brilliant :D
    9. Strider - Not sure I ever completed this but a good game never the less!
    10. Gauntlet - Played this for hours and hours on multi player, I was always the warrior! (AKA Conan :p)

Other classics I remember playing
    Earthworm Jim 2, Cool Spot, The Jungle Book, Forgotten Worlds, Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, Taz-Mania, ToeJam & Earl, Worms
  • Gambit1977 3 Nov 2010 20:31:01 9,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Both!!!

Megadrive
    Best game : World of Illusion: possibly still the best use of co-op ever!!!
    Runner Up: Desert Strike: why has this never been remade?

SNES
    Best game: Super Mario World:
    my favourite game of all time. Can't say more.
    Runner up: Super Star Wars.
    Awesome :D
  • Deleted user 3 November 2010 20:31:43
    Any chance of a 3rd game for each...?
  • Deleted user 3 November 2010 20:31:52
    http://gb.geoffkimball.com/thread.html#
  • Gambit1977 3 Nov 2010 20:33:53 9,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm being awkward ;)

It's a long time ago you know!
  • Deleted user 3 November 2010 20:41:11
    @deathgibbon, this aint random, I've been doing this for weeks! Going through every console...:S

@Gambit, fair enough...I cheated by going through all the games on wiki to help jog my memory!
  • Deleted user 3 November 2010 20:42:38
    @uglygamer - I will need an order for me to be able to score them, so i will leave them as they are i.e SMW was your best snes game unless you say otherwise :)
  • Trowel 3 Nov 2010 20:55:06 17,741 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good lad for mentioning Plok - I thought it was a little limited as a game (not to mention one of the hardest games I ever played), but by Christ, that Tim Follin soundtrack...

1. Zelda III
    2. Super Metroid
    3. Super Mario World
    4. Super Bomberman

Super.

Edited for daftness.
  • trip919 3 Nov 2010 21:09:31 2,271 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Piece of piss. The SNES is the eternal king of all consoles. I had (still do as it goes) both and played my fair share of games on them. I enjoyed the Mega Drive quite a bit but it was no match for the SNES in terms of varied/quality output. But, I'll play your sick game for now. :D

SNES
    1) Super Mario Kart
    2) Yoshi’s Island
    3) Super Metroid

Mega Drive
    1) Shining Force 2
    2) Flashback
    3) Sonic 2

I can’t be arsed to do them justice by writing a summary/essay for each one - so that'll have to suffice for now.
  • AlcohollicA 3 Nov 2010 21:10:41 2,355 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nintendo lad.

1. Super Mario World
    2. Donkey Kong Country
    3. Yoshi's Island
  • Youthist 3 Nov 2010 21:11:35 10,018 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shout out for Super Tennis on the SNES. Superb tennis game, infinitely deep in 1v1.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Youthist 3 Nov 2010 21:13:15 10,018 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Shout out for Super Tennis on the SNES. Superb tennis game, infinitely deep in 1v1.

But there was also NHLPA '93 on MD. Go Roenick.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• spamdangled 3 Nov 2010 21:16:45 27,355 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SNES

Super Mario World
    Super Metroid
    Secret of Evermore
    Link to the Past
    Zombies Ate My Neighbours

MEGA DRIVE

Sonic 2
    Urban Strike (the Strike series really needs to be revived. Nuclear Strike on PSX was awesome, but nothing since then).
    Corporation - predates wolfenstein 3d but manages to be full-3d with dynamic lighting and even more complex than system shock. Awesome in its day, but fuck it took ages to get your head round it.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 3 November 2010 21:22:38
    I had a Mega Drive, don't think I've ever actually played on a SNES now that I think about it.

1) Flashback
    2) Urban Strike
    3) Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Gretters 3 Nov 2010 21:27:42 2,628 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Never had a SNES, was a Sega devotee right up to the Dreamcast. Only one I missed was the Mega CD (yes, I had a 32X /o\).

In no particular order:

Flashback
    Sonic 2
    John Madden '94

(special mention for Micro Machines with the extra controller ports)
  • Ged42 3 Nov 2010 21:28:37 7,727 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was a Megadrive owner, but played on my mate's SNES all the time, so here's my list.

Megadrive:

1. Streets of Rage 2 - Beating the crap out of punks never has been this good. Great action, great music and my 12 year old self loved making Blaze do flying kicks.
    2. Thunderforce 4 - The power of The Metal on the Megadrive \m/, though i was shit at the game and could only complete it with the lives cheat.
    3. Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Might as well stick them together for completeness. Sonic back before the sidkicks got stupid, before the werehog and when he still had momentum.

Runners up: Desert Strike series (with turbo controller), Empire of Steel (I love steampunk), Road Rash series (PIELLAAAAAAAHHH)

SNES:

1. Chronotrigger - Best of the SNES RPGs
    2. Final Fantasy VI - Ok, i played this via an emulator put it's still great stuff.
    3. Donkey Kong Country 2 - Monkeys versus pirate crocodiles, how could it not be good.

Runners up: Lufia 2 (Great boss themes), Starwing/Starfox (/barrel rolls), Blackthorne (Blizzard before Warcraft).

Cross-platform:
    1. Rock'n'Roll Racing - "Get your motor running" bowww-de-de-de-bow-bow
    3. Flashback - Memories are....
    2. Earthworm Jim 1&2 - "OOOHHHH NEEELLLLLLLYYYYY"
  • trip919 3 Nov 2010 21:30:07 2,271 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    SNES

Super Mario World
    Super Metroid
    Secret of Evermore
    Link to the Past
    Zombies Ate My Neighbours

MEGA DRIVE

Sonic 2
    Urban Strike (the Strike series really needs to be revived. Nuclear Strike on PSX was awesome, but nothing since then).
    Corporation - predates wolfenstein 3d but manages to be full-3d with dynamic lighting and even more complex than system shock. Awesome in its day, but fuck it took ages to get your head round it.

You're right the Strike series was excellent. I played the first three classics but never got around to Nuclear Strike - I guess that boat will have sailed by now (or is that gunship has flown?) but a reboot would be most welcome.
  • trip919 3 Nov 2010 21:41:03 2,271 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Good to see Flashback getting a lot of love. It's a stone cold classic but it seems like nobody talks about it these days. Obviously people haven't forgotten it!
  • Deleted user 3 November 2010 21:50:06
    Dear me, this is quite the task!

Snes

1. Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past
    2. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    3. Donkey Kong Country

Megadrive

1. Sonic 1
    2. Rocket Knight Adventures
    3. James Pond 2: Robocod

I do have multiple honourable mentions for both consoles, but i refuse to classify these classics as such. Im not prepared to dish out injustices, so they can stay anonymous.
  • Deleted user 3 November 2010 21:57:54
    @Trowel - Yh I loved Plok, yet it's just one of those games that many people didn't play or have just forgotten it.

@trip919 - it's not a rule that you have to give a reason why, you voted so I am happy :D

@AlcohollicA - Thanks for voting!

@Youthist - I have one vote for each console from you...anymore?

@darkmorgado - thank you for taking part...eventually ;) I will take the top 3 of each list as your vote, k?

@Saturn_Ascends - Never played a snes!? It was alright don't you know ;)

@Gretters - I will take them the order they are in? And micromachines let you play 4 player with either 4 pads or 2 pads...no other game can claim that...I dont think.

@Ged42 - Now THAT is how you vote! CHEERS!!

@TearYouAsunder - I was gonna vote for Jame Pond but I couldn't remember which one I had played :( Thanks for joining us! :D
  • Trowel 3 Nov 2010 22:29:01 17,741 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't believe I forgot to put Zelda number one :(

Fixed.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 3 Nov 2010 22:30:40 7,767 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No zelda? If I meet you in real life I'll break your fucking jaw son
  • Trowel 3 Nov 2010 22:32:56 17,741 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I even imported the mother fucking thing and (infamously in my house) played it for 12 hours the first day I got it.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 3 Nov 2010 22:35:22 7,767 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    heh, I was talking about the op. You've redeemed yourself already.
  • trip919 3 Nov 2010 22:39:39 2,271 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    I even imported the mother fucking thing and (infamously in my house) played it for 12 hours the first day I got it.

Only 12? LOLOL, In my house it was at least 13 hours.
  • Deleted user 3 November 2010 23:15:50
    SNES
    1. Zelda link to the past
    2. Yoshis Island
    3. Super Mario bros
    4. Cybernator
    5. Mario Kart
    6. Axelay

Megadrive
    1. Revenge of Shinobi
    2. Thunderforce IV
    3. Road Rash
    4. Desert Strike
    5. Streets of Rage
    6. Sonic

Fuck it score draw..................much love from me to both.

• Deleted user 4 November 2010 00:20:03
    @Trowel - it's all good! Thanks for letting me know too!

@Jazzy_Geoff - you haven't voted for Zelda either, so maybe yours is the jaw that needs to be broken..."son" ;) Seriously how bout a vote? Oh and the reason Zelda wasn't in my list was 'cos I never owned it and wasn't into gaming like I am today, so no magazines to tell me what to buy...just cheap pre owned games my mum could afford :)

@espibara - cheers for voting!

@everyone else, please don't feel like you HAVE to vote for Zelda as #1, vote for the games you loved the most...probs is Zelda but you get what I mean! :D
  • Jazzy_Geoff 4 Nov 2010 00:21:38 7,767 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    zelda
    metroid
    mario AS
    mario world
    ISS
    Bomberman
    Castlevania 4
    secret of mana
    ff vi