Best PS2 game EVER! Page 4

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

  • trip919 19 Oct 2010 21:21:09 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    GTA 3 is the best game. Close this thread now.

    There are clearly a lot of PS2 games you did not play.

    Utterly groundbreaking, genre defining games that also set the bar so high that they still haven't been matched - aren't in abundance on the PS2 nor any other console.

    Sorry.

    Utterly groundbreaking, genre defining games that also set the bar so high that they still haven't been matched are exactly what the PS2 had in abundance.

    Iím not dissing the PS2 Ė Itís my second favourite console with an incredible library thatís second to none. But, games that change the landscape of gaming and leave ripple effects that are still unmatched many years later, arenít in abundance on any console Iím afraid.
  • King_Edward 19 Oct 2010 21:22:34 11,467 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Except the PS2 :p

    And the Snes too.
  • trip919 19 Oct 2010 21:24:48 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    pac666 wrote:
    Okami

    Too in thrall to Zelda. The Dungeons are terrible and the combat dodgy but it trumps Zelda in it's overworld thatís brimming with life. Still an incredible game.
  • Ryze 19 Oct 2010 21:26:02 3,147 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Colossus
    San An
    Burnout 3
    Burnout 2
    God of War 2

    etc...

    PS2 was / is an amazing console. They really ought to look into releasing a limited edition posh looking PS3 Slim with BC.

    Surely they can pull that off for £250-£300 in 2010.

    /hugs 60GB BC PS3

    /gets burned by heat of 150w+ launch PS3

    It's even a cheap heater in the winter - waiting for all of those patches and installs!

  • King_Edward 19 Oct 2010 21:44:44 11,467 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Or just a PS2 HD. I'd buy one.
  • trip919 19 Oct 2010 21:45:48 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • trip919 19 Oct 2010 21:46:29 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ryze wrote:
    Colossus
    San An
    Burnout 3
    Burnout 2
    God of War 2


    Colossus Ė Fantastic game that is certainly unique Ė groundbreaking yes, but it hasnít sent waves throughout the industry that are still being felt today.
    San An - Replace with GTA 3
    Burnout 3 Ė A drugged up version of 2
    Burnout 2 Ė Granted
    God of War 2 Ė The first one goes before it and they are both a mishmash of various other games released up until that point. So no. Itís influential and has been copied endlessly but itís not a groundbreaking game.
  • caligari 19 Oct 2010 21:50:07 17,180 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rage_Quit_Rob wrote:
    CVG forums are like a chimp colony, so I think its pretty impressive that they have evolved to a point where they can cobble together a list.

    Glolzers.
  • trip919 19 Oct 2010 21:53:23 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Rage_Quit_Rob wrote:
    CVG forums are like a chimp colony, so I think its pretty impressive that they have evolved to a point where they can cobble together a list.

    Glolzers.

    The works of Shakespeare are just around the corner.
  • King_Edward 19 Oct 2010 21:59:30 11,467 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Timesplitter
    FFXII
    DMC
    Onimusha
    GodHand
    PoP: TSoT
    Katamari
    BG&E
    Tekken Tag

    And so on and so on and so on...
  • trip919 19 Oct 2010 22:18:47 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Timesplitter
    FFXII
    DMC
    Onimusha
    GodHand
    PoP: TSoT
    Katamari
    BG&E
    Tekken Tag

    And so on and so on and so on...

    Timesplitter Ė Goldeneye was there first and then Perfect Dark continued on with a plethora of options.
    FFXII Ė Different battle system hardly revolutionary
    DMC Ė Granted
    Onimusha Ė Reskin of Resident Evil
    GodHand Ė what has this shaped?
    PoP: TSoT Ė Granted
    Katamari Ė Granted
    BG&E Ė Zelda lite
    Tekken Tag - ???
  • Raiko101 20 Oct 2010 00:35:39 6,581 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TimeSplitters 2 is my favourite PS2 game, closely followed by Red Dead Revolver. The former got more time out of me than any other game ever. Including any online game i've ever played,or any GTA.

    3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

  • Obiwanshinobi 20 Oct 2010 01:40:09 866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Onimusha Ė Reskin of Resident Evil
    You didn't get the hang of the instant kill techniques, did you? Can you strike down 5 dudes at once with a basic sword in Resident Evil? I don't think so.
    Which is not to say Onimusha has ever fully bloomed into the sort of flower I would like it to.
  • Deleted user 20 October 2010 02:08:52
    Raiko101 wrote:
    TimeSplitters 2 is my favourite PS2 game, closely followed by Red Dead Revolver. The former got more time out of me than any other game ever. Including any online game i've ever played,or any GTA.

    A fantastic game, I'm disappointed there hasn't been a nextgen one yet or a similar splitscreen bot shooter.
    I do prefer the Gamecube one though, the PS2 one looks like shit compared to it and I even prefer the controls on the GC.
  • Deleted user 20 October 2010 10:13:05

    A fantastic game, I'm disappointed there hasn't been a nextgen one yet or a similar splitscreen bot shooter.
    I do prefer the Gamecube one though, the PS2 one looks like shit compared to it and I even prefer the controls on the GC

    Gotta disagree with you there, I had both versions (dont ask) and the gamecube one seem to struggle when a game has played to long. Me and some friends used to play with no kill limit for an hour, PS2 managed fine...the GC version crashed 3 times, I think the highest it got to was about 500 kills.

    trip919, I don't think bigger is better like you have assumed. But Vice City is a better experiance across the board imo, story, visuals, sharper gameplay...everything basically. Yes GTA III came first but to be fair you take away the "sandbox" and leave just the missions...it's desperatly average if you ask me.
  • bobmar360 20 Oct 2010 11:24:08 925 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vice City was the best GTA game and the only game that really made me play the ps2, oh Gran Turismo whatever number it was, was good too
  • Zerobob 20 Oct 2010 11:37:20 1,610 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SotC
    San Andreas
    God of War

    Played GT4 a lot too, but it got boring after a while, as impressive as it was.
  • Deleted user 20 October 2010 14:34:16
    "While only one year removed from GTA III, Vice City was an immense improvement over what we had previously thought was the greatest game ever made. The targeting was better, the soundtrack was more recognizable Ė filled as it was with memorably cheesy Ď80s hits Ė and the city was a hell of a lot brighter and more fun to explore than Liberty City was. It had a hero (sort of) with an actual personality and spoken lines, purchasable properties that came with their own missions, and it added motorcycles. As cool as GTA III was, it didnít offer any experiences that were quite like ramping crotch rockets over low rooftops. And while GTA III was revolutionary, Vice City improved on it so quickly, and so thoroughly, that we couldnít help but hold it up as the much better game."

    Just read that on GamesRadar
  • King_Edward 20 Oct 2010 15:05:49 11,467 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FACT
  • Cappy 20 Oct 2010 15:07:50 12,088 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I far preferred GTA III myself.

    Every street had it's own character in GTA III, you could instantly see where you were at a glance looking at a screenshot for instance. Gave the world a bit more personality.

    Vice City was rather samey in comparison and the main character was a vile psychopathic thug. One of those games where you wish there was an 'eat a bullet' option.

    Oh no! This drug deal has gone south! I'm owing some serious money to some seriously unpleasant people. Time to smoke the old Smith & Wesson I guess and not bother with all these missions...

    The end. Roll credits.

    The games have never worked as well for me after GTA III when they had to give the main characters lots of dialogue and 'personality'. I cast GTA III's lead as a 'man with no name' figure, in fact with all the dealings with rival gangs playing them off against each other it was slightly reminiscent of a Fist Full of Dollars.
  • trip919 20 Oct 2010 21:32:34 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To try and quantify why: GTA 3 is the better and more important game then anything released on the PS2 for me. Itís a game that exists in that rare stratosphere only occupied by the elite. It wasnít a game that was all about the tech, with minimal thought given to the gameplay features. The mission variety, scope of the world and itís immersive, infectious nature made everything feel tame for the longest time.

    It wasnít a half fulfilled promise or a fractured glimpse of the future (like many games before it) Ė *it was the future*. Itís a rare game that showed you the endless potential of what games could be. It was such a radical step up to the next level that it embodied everything forward thinking games should be: radical and creative.

    Nothing in the series could be considered a radical change. All thatís happened has been slight tweaks or mild changes. So have these cosmetic additions, led to vastly superior games? Hell no. How GTA 3 could be considered average, is simply mind blowing to me.

    Few games attain such heights or could ever hope to. Ultimately: the magic had already been cast. The idea that slight modifications could ever hope to replicate a modicum of that is bafflingly to me.

    I will state again: I have really enjoyed the other GTA games but to be considered superior they have to challenge and aim to stun me into silence and they definitely havenít.
  • Zomoniac 20 Oct 2010 23:08:58 7,907 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    trip919 wrote:
    To try and quantify why: GTA 3 is the better and more important game then anything released on the PS2 for me. Itís a game that exists in that rare stratosphere only occupied by the elite. It wasnít a game that was all about the tech, with minimal thought given to the gameplay features. The mission variety, scope of the world and itís immersive, infectious nature made everything feel tame for the longest time.

    It wasnít a half fulfilled promise or a fractured glimpse of the future (like many games before it) Ė *it was the future*. Itís a rare game that showed you the endless potential of what games could be. It was such a radical step up to the next level that it embodied everything forward thinking games should be: radical and creative.

    Nothing in the series could be considered a radical change. All thatís happened has been slight tweaks or mild changes. So have these cosmetic additions, led to vastly superior games? Hell no. How GTA 3 could be considered average, is simply mind blowing to me.

    Few games attain such heights or could ever hope to. Ultimately: the magic had already been cast. The idea that slight modifications could ever hope to replicate a modicum of that is bafflingly to me.

    I will state again: I have really enjoyed the other GTA games but to be considered superior they have to challenge and aim to stun me into silence and they definitely havenít.

    I never saw that, because the combat mechanics in GTA3 were so unbelievably fucking awful (and then some) that I gave up on it early on. Same thing happened with VC and SA. 3 may have paved the way, but for me IV is the only good 3D GTA by virtue of being the only one that was remotely playable.
  • trip919 20 Oct 2010 23:14:13 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    To try and quantify why: GTA 3 is the better and more important game then anything released on the PS2 for me. Itís a game that exists in that rare stratosphere only occupied by the elite. It wasnít a game that was all about the tech, with minimal thought given to the gameplay features. The mission variety, scope of the world and itís immersive, infectious nature made everything feel tame for the longest time.

    It wasnít a half fulfilled promise or a fractured glimpse of the future (like many games before it) Ė *it was the future*. Itís a rare game that showed you the endless potential of what games could be. It was such a radical step up to the next level that it embodied everything forward thinking games should be: radical and creative.

    Nothing in the series could be considered a radical change. All thatís happened has been slight tweaks or mild changes. So have these cosmetic additions, led to vastly superior games? Hell no. How GTA 3 could be considered average, is simply mind blowing to me.

    Few games attain such heights or could ever hope to. Ultimately: the magic had already been cast. The idea that slight modifications could ever hope to replicate a modicum of that is bafflingly to me.

    I will state again: I have really enjoyed the other GTA games but to be considered superior they have to challenge and aim to stun me into silence and they definitely havenít.

    I never saw that, because the combat mechanics in GTA3 were so unbelievably fucking awful (and then some) that I gave up on it early on. Same thing happened with VC and SA. 3 may have paved the way, but for me IV is the only good 3D GTA by virtue of being the only one that was remotely playable.

    Itís not a perfect game and itís lacking in certain areas, especially the combat (which still hasnít been sorted and was dodgy in the fourth as well). But to say it was unplayable, I donít agree with at all. For everything else it was and represented, it could be forgiven I feel.
  • King_Edward 20 Oct 2010 23:16:59 11,467 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I see you are one of those people that values originality over quality trip. I'm of the opinion that the second idea is usually better than the first. Refinement is every bit as commendable as innovation.
  • trip919 20 Oct 2010 23:24:05 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    I see you are one of those people that values originality over quality trip. I'm of the opinion that the second idea is usually better than the first. Refinement is every bit as commendable as innovation.

    I completely agree, when it really has been put to significant use. I can reel off countless sequels that are better than the first instalment. Iíve talked endlessly about the importance of sequels to rectify the flaws made originally. I just feel some get it right first time and are truly important.
  • Deleted user 20 October 2010 23:51:39
    If you prefer GTAIII, then fair enough I say! Who are we to say you're wrong? My fav game on the console is MGS3 and I KNOW that has a lot of haters!

    Each to their own!
  • trip919 20 Oct 2010 23:54:24 2,274 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I love MGS3! Everything the second should've been!
  • Deleted user 21 October 2010 00:28:42
    trip919 wrote:
    I love MGS3! Everything the second should've been!

    Woohoo! We agreed on something :D
    So do you want or expect a MGS5?
  • tenofspades 21 Oct 2010 16:49:08 1,693 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sly 1 or Sly2.
    Oh and God of War.
  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

Log in or register to reply