Opinions on Battlestar Galactica, please Page 34

• Page

of 38 First / Last

• CosmicFuzz 29 Jun 2012 09:57:41 23,189 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Season 4 has two good episodes (maybe 4 if you count the finale) and everything else is wheel spinning to drag out the thin plot. Season 3 is better but still suffers from similar problems.

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• AcidSnake 29 Jun 2012 10:01:14 7,214 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's harsh...Episode 4-10 is quite good too as is 4-11 to me...It also contains an episode that chokes me up every single time...Tigh telling Adama the name of the baby...Top acting there...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Chopsen 29 Jun 2012 10:05:34 15,723 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Other people have far better memories for series than I do. I could just about vaguely tell you what the overall gist of the whole thing is. No way I could break a series down and tell you what each season is about, let alone even think in terms of episodes.
  • AcidSnake 29 Jun 2012 10:07:26 7,214 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Chopsen:
    4-10 is where they took a mid-season break and left the audience with a cliffhanger for 6 months or so, that's why I remember :)

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Razz 29 Jun 2012 10:12:16 60,765 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Caprica focused too much on that damn religious nut story...You have the material to make a story about killer robots rebelling against their masters and you go with schisms in a new church and wandering through the matrix?

@Razz:
    Where did you give up in season 4? It has a few slower points but damn if it doesn't deliver some of the finest episodes after that...
    A couple of episodes beofore the finale I think, the one when Boomer escapes with the baby and damages Galactica.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Chopsen 29 Jun 2012 10:13:38 15,723 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, fair enough.

Thinking about it, I do tend to watch these things as box-set binges. I watched the whole of BSG for the 1st time over a mater of a few weeks when the BR came out. So that's why it (and everything else I watch) probably blurs in to one with me.
  • AcidSnake 29 Jun 2012 10:27:05 7,214 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Razz:
    Ah (maybe spoiler it?)...Must be like three episodes left then...

• Deleted user 11 July 2012 18:41:00
    Just started season 2 and I'm really enjoying it now. This season has benefited hugely from the character development from season 1, which I now appreciate a lot more.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Jul 2012 19:49:08 43,227 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1,000th reply.

's alright.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 22 July 2012 19:36:50
    Just finished the Resurrection 2 parter where the Pegasus loses it's admiral.

It's easily some of the best tv I have ever seen. Absolutely gripping stuff.
  • mikew1985 4 Sep 2012 22:26:42 12,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished this a couple of weeks ago, loved it from beginning to end.

Ending is a little bit hokey if you're a cynic but I felt the type of ending was heavily signposted from day one so it sat fine with me.
  • nickthegun 4 Sep 2012 22:32:06 58,784 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. It was.

Head six in the first series: I'm an angel, gaius

The internet at the end of the last series: wtf?!? They are angels? THAT'S FUCKING STUPID!!

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Dirtbox 4 Sep 2012 22:40:19 77,467 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    I've been rewatching this from the start again, thanks to using a US DNS for Netflix.

Season 3 really isn't all that bad at all now in hindsight. It's funny how we all thought it droned on back in the day, most likely due to the silly programming schedules.
    It helps when you don't have to wait for a week between episodes.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• mikew1985 4 Sep 2012 22:44:13 12,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yeah. It was.

Head six in the first series: I'm an angel, gaius

The internet at the end of the last series: wtf?!? They are angels? THAT'S FUCKING STUPID!!
    Despite having only watched it a couple weeks ago I blocked that part out in my head.

Yes, that was stupid.

Edited by mikew1985 at 22:44:21 04-09-2012
  • nickthegun 4 Sep 2012 22:48:33 58,784 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IT WASN'T STUPID!!

It was set up through the entire series!!

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• muttler 4 Sep 2012 23:37:30 3,937 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I liked Faceman as Starbuck!
  • 4gate 4 Sep 2012 23:51:36 362 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It was stupid, almost as stupid as Starbuck taking weeks to notice the 12 numbers in the song might just be jump coordinates for the jump computer which needed (gasp) 12 numbers, Dean Stockwell shooting himself, and Adama saying 'I can't live without her son' and then going and doing precisely that.

Great telly, fucking stupid ending.
  • Flightrisker 5 Sep 2012 07:45:08 18,096 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    4gate wrote:
    It was stupid, almost as stupid as Starbuck taking weeks to notice the 12 numbers in the song might just be jump coordinates for the jump computer which needed (gasp) 12 numbers, Dean Stockwell shooting himself, and Adama saying 'I can't live without her son' and then going and doing precisely that.

What?! It's not like he said fuck it and left her. She died... I'm sure most people would say they couldn't live without the ones they love but that doesn't mean that have to top themselves the minute they died. He meant he couldn't live without her while there's a chance she's alive, as in he had to risk his life to wait for her.

Jesus, talk about reaching! :)
  • mikew1985 5 Sep 2012 07:48:20 12,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Adama and the presidents scenes were nearly always great, had something in my eye on quite a few occasions.

I enjoyed the end and like I said was heavily signposted so I don't see any major problems with it.

Anyway, what a fantastic piece of television.
  • 4gate 5 Sep 2012 08:52:08 362 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    4gate wrote:

What?! It's not like he said fuck it and left her. She died... I'm sure most people would say they couldn't live without the ones they love but that doesn't mean that have to top themselves the minute they died. He meant he couldn't live without her while there's a chance she's alive, as in he had to risk his life to wait for her.

Jesus, talk about reaching! :)
    In isolation yeah fine, but 'I can't live without her son' was to explain to his last surviving family member why he wasn't ever going to see him again.

Ofc, his son was ditching all technology, along with the 50,000 other survivors who all agreed at the drop of a hat, and going off to fuck cave-people, so at that point anything might have made sense :)
  • Flightrisker 5 Sep 2012 08:59:51 18,096 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was pretty fine with the ending except for the coda. Totally unnecessary and added nothing. Just left a weird feeling as the credits role as RDM managed to somehow blow acting as a guy holding a magazine as they rammed AATW down our throats. Euugh that was horrible. Six and Balthar also managed to forget how to act in that scene.
  • mikew1985 5 Sep 2012 09:06:20 12,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That was the scene I was referring to forgetting about, it just seemed odd.
  • glaeken 5 Sep 2012 09:55:41 11,094 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it all started to go wrong with the reveal of the final five. There were plenty of good episodes after that but it was the point where the massively retarded central arc story started to take over.

I always think the writers were great at character development and pulling off very good short arc stories but their overall arc was terrible. There was no escaping that.
  • dr_swin 5 Sep 2012 14:19:14 4,865 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone that is missing BSG and needs to scratch that itch could consider trying 'The Lost Fleet' books by Jack Campbell. Some of it seems a shameful rip off of BSG - especially the President/Commander relationship - but they are entertaining enough and quite compulsive once you get going with them.
  • glaeken 5 Sep 2012 14:24:55 11,094 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rodpad Yep their choice of who they would be was terrible. It just seemed like a really crap attempt at a twist to have such unlikely people be the final 5. I thought in particular Tyrol was pretty dumb given his back story of having a relationship with a cylon and not knowing about it. I mean they ended up both being cylon's.

I agree that final set peace scene where destiny all played out was terrible.

I swear there must have been some sort of nepotism type thing going on amongst the writers. There clearly was a deeply untalented writer in the mix somewhere who was contractually allowed to have x percentage of input. You then had the rest of the writers attempting to recover until the hacks next turn on the script.

Edited by glaeken at 14:25:23 05-09-2012
  • SlackMaster 5 Sep 2012 14:47:26 3,132 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I brought the complete series on DVD on a recommendation from a colleague a while back but haven't got around to watching it yet. Any good?

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• Flightrisker 5 Sep 2012 14:54:00 18,096 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes but get the hell out of this thread you fool! :D
  • AcidSnake 5 Sep 2012 16:13:26 7,214 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the final scene was just to remind people that all of this happened before and will happen again...again...again...

• Page

of 38 First / Last