• SpaceDave3000 10 May 2011 02:07:46 78,432 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sorry.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• lucky_jim 10 May 2011 02:09:22 5,325 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Damn you and damn your goddamn "facts". The Amiga was the best thing ever, apart from the Dreamcast and the Spectrum. Now there's a FACT*.

*Fact might not be factual.
  • SpaceDave3000 10 May 2011 02:16:34 78,432 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It wasn't a vanilla amiga, it was an amiga 2000 with this monster plugged into it.

Sorry, sorry.

/shoves facts up arse

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• infoxicated 10 May 2011 02:17:29 1,176 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lightwave & Video Toaster were pretty cutting edge on the Amiga back then.

It does look dated, I'll agree, and some of the texture work was cheesy looking even then. The low cost of production meant they could do so much more with CGI per episode that they probably over used it at times, too.

But B5 was a cracking story for four good seasons.

Nu BSG I couldn't watch beyond the mini-series because of the shaky-cam, although I did watch Razor because my brother was mad on it and convinced me to watch it. That was cliched and shaky.

I still watch original BSG to this day. It might be cheesy in a 70's kind of way, but the dynamic of it just seems much more convincing to me than the contrived shit in the remake.
  • AcidSnake 10 May 2011 08:50:45 7,285 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @infoxicated:
    No...The original has no dynamic to speak of unless you mean "There's something dangerous - No-one go there - Starbuck and/or Apollo go anyway! - Things go wrong - Through humour and understanding the dangerous place isn't dangerous at all - cylons! - pew pew pew - Final scene and everybody's laughing out loud"

Razor is a terrible way of trying out BSG, try some proper episodes without looking too closely at the effects (they get much better)...

@oldschoolsoviet:
    I was always under the impression that Tigh was trying to quit but then had no more reason to when Ellen showed up...
    And the heavy raider thing was because many systems were out of use because of the virus...So no communications (or lights)...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• infoxicated 10 May 2011 10:56:03 1,176 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Maybe you had to be there?

I watched the original BSG movie in a cinema in the late 1970's with SENSURROUND! And by the time I left I was convinced that shit was real. Felt like the whole cinema shook when the Galactica went by - no calibre of sock restrainment could have saved this seven year old!

I loved the characters, and Baltar seemed so very menacing, even if the Cylons were a bit stupid in general.

The new BSG left me kind of cold, and then my shaky cam hatred just got in the way of me warming to it.

I can appreciate why people like the new one, but for me the plot lines were closer to Lost than BSG. I'd hoped for a Star Trek TNG treatment for the franchise, so in the looks of the ships & sets they delivered somewhat, but the characters all felt contrived.

Season one sits in my collection unwatched... maybe one day I'll learn to appreciate shaky cam and the lack of substance it fails to mask! ;o)

The new
  • AcidSnake 10 May 2011 11:04:38 7,285 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got the original series as well and do sometimes watch it for the cheese factor...
    It' s a relic from an older time...

And you must not let shaky cams stop you...Otherwise you wouldn't be able to view Firefly either...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• glaeken 10 May 2011 11:17:25 11,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The new BSG did not feature enough funky futuristic disco music or robot dogs :) I am old enough to remember watching the originals when they came out as well but for me the new one is leagues ahead of the old. That is not to say its perfect. The overall story arc goes majorly wrong for me and I do think they should have done a few more straight up adventure episodes that were not part of the overall arc. When it was good it was very good though and when it was bad it was still enjoyable enough.
  • infoxicated 10 May 2011 12:39:42 1,176 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LOL! on the robot dog front - the scenes with Boxey & Muffit kill me to this day when I watch it. Amazing how they were even allowed to have that chimp in a robot dog suit! :D

Regardless of the cheesy 70's vibe, I still think Lorne Greene, Richard Hatch & Dirk Benedict were great in their roles, and Jane Seymour was amazing as Serina. There was definite chemistry between the characters and that's the dynamic I was talking about, AcidSnake.

Not every episode ended with the Knight Rider/The A-Team cliche of everybody laughing, either - for example; the episode where Serina dies was quite unexpected, and in the final episode where Apollo narrowly misses seeing the broadcast of the moon landing I think it demonstrates they were taking the story arc seriously in a time when story arcs in episodic TV were almost unheard of.

Firefly has nowhere near the level of shaky cam work that Nu BSG has. I'm sorry, but if a tv programme needs that shit to enhance the tension then I'm afraid it's trying too hard!
  • Clive_Dunn 10 May 2011 13:02:00 4,782 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /passes rose tinted glasses back to infoxicated.

Come on now, the original was mostly rubbish with the exception of the starting film. Gay Cylon leaders, Baltar being put in charge of a basestar ( after being executed in the original film ), the same space scenes over and over again, 70's disco, Fred Astaire, Dicky Hatch being a terrible actor etc etc.

The only saving grace was Dirk Benedict.
  • nickthegun 10 May 2011 13:05:07 60,422 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The original BSG was garbage but very watchable.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• AcidSnake 10 May 2011 13:19:12 7,285 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Infoxicated:
    With chemistry you mean their bromance?
    It was nowhere near believable enough...Adama loses a son and is pretty "meh" about it...Apollo loses his wife and mourns for like 4 whole minutes...Boxey accepts a random stranger as his father in no time...

The only clear thing the original has over the new one is the centurions' "by your command"...That just sounds awesome...

• glaeken 10 May 2011 13:50:07 11,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did not even notice the shakey cam much in BSG. I guess its there but I must have been to much into it at the time to let it bother me.

I actually think Richard Hatch has been redeemed by his part in new BSG. I rather liked his character and I think he acted it well. The character even has a pretty good story arc.

Oh and I do agree the sound effects for the centurions are superb in the original :)
  • infoxicated 10 May 2011 14:38:44 1,176 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    It was nowhere near believable enough..
    It was as believable as it needed to be for its time - it's not any less believable than Star Wars and people lap that shit up!

And if believability is the barometer we're using, then the whole Starbuck arc in the remake is about as ridiculous as anything that's ever been filmed in the name of Sci-Fi! ;o)

Seriously - I'm glad you can enjoy the new one, and I'm happy the idea got another chance to see the light of day after it was cancelled. It just wasn't my cup of tea.
  • AcidSnake 10 May 2011 14:43:10 7,285 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Infoxicated:
    Fair enough mate :)
    No need to get into all this, I really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it to others...

And for some laughs I'd recommend the original as well...

But how do you know about the Starbuck arc if you've only seen the mini-series and Razor?

• infoxicated 10 May 2011 14:58:55 1,176 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Because my younger brother - I'm 38, he's 20 - is an insufferable bore who tells me these things at length when we go out for a curry!

He also got me to watch some YouTube tribute montage to the Pegasus, which was actually very impressive and did make me want to see what happened with Apollo and the Pegasus, but again I couldn't handle the shaky cam... makes me feel sick!
  • nickthegun 10 May 2011 15:13:08 60,422 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    infoxicated wrote:
    I'm 38

Jesus, I had you down for 15 tops.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• infoxicated 10 May 2011 16:29:07 1,176 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @nickthegun - you've been on my ignore list for years mate, but you seem to pop up and post pathetic digs in my direction anyway. I tend to ignore people who post personal insults on forums regardless of whether any of their other posts are of merit. Just thought I'd let you know that it's a waste of effort on your part. Cheers!
  • silentbob 16 Jul 2011 23:40:38 28,997 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Recently began working through this for the first time.

Have to say it's blown me away so far. Surprising, classy, savvy and dark - it's probably the best US series I've seen this side of The West Wing. In many ways it's anti-sci-fi, focussing on theological, political and emotive subjects. It feels brave as a series, even now.

Any show that constantly has me thinking "how the hell did they secure funding for this?!" is probably headed in a direction I'll like.

Just at the head of Season 2 now, so some way to go. Thus far, very impressed - looking forward to the rest.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Derblington 16 Jul 2011 23:57:44 21,909 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's great. My BD complete collection arrived this week :)

Download the webisodes to watch between seasons 3- 4 (I'm pretty sure that's where they're placed, but look it up to be sure).
  • grey_matters 17 Jul 2011 00:12:54 3,792 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The average quality of the episodes dip quite noticeably from now on but the peaks are just as good, imo.
  • silentbob 1 Aug 2011 22:44:48 28,997 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just hit season 3 - generally bloody excellent so far.

Problem though - Disc 1 of Season 3 Blu-ray is rated 18. The wife isn't great with overly violent scenes etc. and is refusing to watch the first disc.

Can anyone remember if it's a particular episode that's 'bad' - the BBFC is less than fucking useless in this regard. Not asking for details just ideas as to which one she can skip is needs be.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• _Price_ 1 Aug 2011 23:18:29 3,074 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From what I recall it's more the suggestion of a few 'adult themes' than real violence. There's a bit of up-close and personal shooty-shooty / stabby-stabby in the first few episodes (extremely minor spoiler) but otherwise nothing that should offend too much. Plus she'd miss-out on one of the greatest moments in television if she doesn't watch them.

On a personal note: you may want to savour the first half of Season 3. It and its preceeding series are generally the best BSG has to offer (admittedly aside from the occasional awesome moments in the later series). Not that Razor, Season 4 and the final season are 'bad', it's just that the writers make a few stupid decisions and never take the chance to walk them back.
  • Flightrisker 27 Oct 2011 11:49:00 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    espibara wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Was re-watching some of this the other day on Sky. It really has dated alarmingly quickly imo.
    I recently got the blu-ray box set after not wtaching it for 18 months and i was blown away actually by how good it looked.

The only gripe I have with galactica is the cutting and pasting of of the CGI scenes of the same shots all the time.
    It's not so much the visuals as the whole approach really. Dunno, was all somehow cheesier than I remembered.
    Just started rewatching t all on bluray and was coming in here to remark on how well it's dated :) Each to their own I guess. If anything the averageness of tv shows these days makes it seem even better than I remembered. What I'd give for a proper show like this nowadays with even half of the brilliantly written and acted characters Battlestar had.

I think a lot of the problem now is with shows having to get right to the point straight away. While BSG starts fast in terms of story they do gradually build up the characters in a way that really pays off. Not sure if they'd get away with that now in this cancelling-happy time. Lost also wouldn't have gotten past a season.

Anyway, Battlestar, I think I was too harsh on it towards the end. It tried it's best to tie everything together and while some of it got a bit messy over all it was a fantastic show. Can't wait for the pegasus parts.
  • Flightrisker 17 Nov 2011 18:01:34 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bear McCreary is a legend

http://io9.com/5858962/and-now-bear-mccreary-playing-battlestar-galactica-a-la-accordion
  • SG 17 Nov 2011 21:00:28 1,896 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm eagerly awaiting 'Blood & Chrome'.

Add me on Nintendo network! I'm 'Sy' or 'Sy_the_Brit_1982' (I've got US systems, hence 'the_Brit').

• Flightrisker 18 Nov 2011 10:29:42 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was until i read this:

During the 2011 San Diego Comic-Con, Syfy's president of original programming, Mark Stern, hinted to an uncertainty regarding which format the project was going to be released in, weighing the possibility of making it into an online series.
  • Page

of 38 First / Last