The moment you realised the Simpsons is now terrible Page 19

• Page

of 26 First / Last

• xandaca 4 Oct 2011 19:19:13 444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dnbuk wrote:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/04/the-simpsons-facing-cancellation_n_993847.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Greedy Cunts.

Won't happen, but fingers crossed. It needs to finally be allowed to die.

Anyway, this is one of my favourite sequences from the series. The animation is just so glorious from start to finish, you can tell how much fun everyone involved was having whilst creating it.

(ecureuil already posted Snrub, which would have been my other choice)
  • ecu 11 Oct 2011 12:06:29 77,018 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Watched the episode with Bart stealing the videogame the other day (Marge Be Not Proud)

"Stealing!? How could you?! Haven't you learned anything from that guy who gives those sermons at church? Captain Whatshisname? We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies, for fun? Well I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you!?"

:D
  • cianchristopher 11 Oct 2011 12:16:20 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Love that episode!

Bart (racing home on his skateboard to change the answering machine): Gotta get home to change that tape...

Homer (in the car alongside): Gotta get home to change Maggie...

Then the bit with "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh" on the tape where Homer's there: "Marge, is one of the kids at camp?"
  • ResidentKnievel 15 Oct 2011 15:01:36 6,238 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lisa on Ice was on channel 4 today.

So, so good.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Feanor 16 Oct 2011 15:43:24 14,180 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Watched the episode with Bart stealing the videogame the other day (Marge Be Not Proud)

"Stealing!? How could you?! Haven't you learned anything from that guy who gives those sermons at church? Captain Whatshisname? We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies, for fun? Well I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you!?"

:D

Lardlad has the end of that as an mp3, and a bunch of other awesome clips.

http://www.lardlad.com/assets/quotes/season7/3F07.shtml

I really like the first two from one of my favorite episodes, Boy-Scoutz N The Hood.

http://www.lardlad.com/assets/quotes/season5/1F06.shtml
  • andywilkie35 16 Oct 2011 16:07:33 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "Captain Whatshisname?!"

Love that bit so much! :D

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Jacksie66 16 Oct 2011 16:29:30 574 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The episode where the simpsons come to ireland is pointless and stupid. For fuck sake, they made Colm Meaney put on more of an 'oirish' accent to please the yanks. Any shread of respect I had left for the simpsons fizzeled away that day....
  • Articulate-Troll 31 Jan 2012 13:21:48 3,101 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Worst. Guest. Ever!
  • Feanor 22 Apr 2013 23:58:29 14,180 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Great discussion between Conan and other Simpsons writers from the 80s and 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtJ28qOEG1g
  • Deleted user 24 April 2013 17:12:50
    It's 1hr 30. They say lots of things about the Simpsons.
  • Shikasama 24 Apr 2013 17:20:29 6,962 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Some of the newer episodes seem to try really hard to to be 'quirky' and are sometimes so horribly disjointed I find it hard to enjoy them. It feels like they want to do Family Guyss random bits without the insults at times.

Saying that though, in general, the Simpsons is fucking brilliant.
  • RobTheBuilder 24 Apr 2013 17:34:22 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Shikasama I think it's good that they realised it was fading and tried to revitalise it. I think sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. But in general the shows I have seen since the movie have been better than the low point it was at previously - and the Simpsons at its worst is still better than most US sitcoms.
  • cubbymoore 24 Apr 2013 17:42:59 36,501 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That discussion with the writers was quite good. And funny!

But the show has been going for so long I'd be surprised if the majority of viewers haven't had some kind of simpsons fatigue, regardless of the quality.
  • ecu 24 Apr 2013 17:45:19 77,018 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:

But the show has been going for so long I'd be surprised if the majority of viewers haven't had some kind of simpsons fatigue, regardless of the quality.
    It's pitched at a new audience now. If you were a fan of the Simpsons in the 90's, you're no longer the target audience.
  • sega 24 Apr 2013 18:01:15 907 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the bad seasons have definitely eclipsed the good seasons now; and by a large margin. I think the last good season I saw was the one with Homer's Enemy (no idea what year) but I've had very few laughs from it since.

My main problem is Homer used to be quite witty and caring but a tad lazy - now he's just a total idiot. Bart used to be rebellious, cool and a bit of a trouble maker - now he's more of the class nerd. Lisa also used to have a bit of a bad side whilst being clever for her age - now she's an 8 year old more intelligent than Stephen Hawkin.

The endless celebrity cameos and Simpsons travelling all over the world plots also bore me to tears. I've actually only stopped watching it recently, meaning I've been giving it a chance for over a decade. There's always the odd episode with a good joke, but I'm mostly just sat there cringing at it.
  • jonsaan 24 Apr 2013 18:04:18 25,360 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:

It's pitched at a new audience now. If you were a fan of the Simpsons in the 90's, you're no longer the target audience.
    Plus you're older and more jaded. My kids think the Simpsons is the mutz nutz.

FCUTA!

• RobTheBuilder 24 Apr 2013 18:06:57 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Problem was it became "The show trying to be what the simpsons is supposed to be."

That didn't work at ALL. The slight improvements recently have come from it not trying to be what it used to be, and just trying to do something funny instead.
    It will never hit its old peak, but at least it has stopped declining.
  • Deleted user 24 April 2013 18:07:36
    Tromboner.
  • Toonster 24 Apr 2013 18:17:48 6,845 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One of my fave episodes has to be 'Bart Gets an F'. Season 2 was still an awkward transition period for The Simpsons, but that episode perfectly demonstrates the amount of heart and poignancy the show could have, while still remaining extremely funny.

I watched it again recently, and it reminded me of how much I used to struggle in school; I always had times when I tried so hard on a test or an assignment and ended up failing miserably. Bart's plea towards Ms. Krabbapel (sorry there's commentary, it was the best link I could find) is so sincere and heart-breaking, and is possibly the most I've been able to relate to an animated character. Nancy Cartwright did such a phenomenal job that episode.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• RobTheBuilder 24 Apr 2013 18:26:05 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Toonster one of the few early episodes that managed to make being a 'real life' sitcom work. Most of the early ones are way too strained to be classics.
  • ecu 24 Apr 2013 18:30:47 77,018 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was sad to hear that Sam Simon has terminal cancer and has less than 6 months left to live. He takes huge credit for setting the tone and quality of the series as a whole.
  • RobTheBuilder 24 Apr 2013 18:34:15 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ecureuil I'd not heard that, how sad
  • Deleted user 19 July 2013 14:15:30
    Take two tired, overdone cartoons and cross them over for double the pointlessness!
  • RedSparrows 19 Jul 2013 14:19:03 23,257 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ugh. Just kill both, with fire. Especially Family Guy, which is shit and always has been utter shit. At least Simpsons had some glory days.
  • King_Edward 19 Jul 2013 14:21:20 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have a feeling that I'll watch it anyway.
  • ronuds 19 Jul 2013 14:44:01 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe there's enough life left in them that, if combined, they can create one half decent episode?
  • spindle9988 19 Jul 2013 15:43:22 3,617 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love family guy
  • David_Richardson 19 Jul 2013 15:53:05 635 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zombie Simpsons is one hell of a read. Apologies if it's been posted before.
  • Page

of 26 First / Last