Installing an SSD Page 5

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• WoodenSpoon 22 Jun 2012 14:37:13 12,306 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Max Payne 3 had bastard load times on my mechanical dinosaur drive, that's a good shout for SSD'ing.
  • Deleted user 22 June 2012 16:18:19
    When I got mine, I could spend hours happily, just booting shit up!
  • Bremenacht 18 Jul 2012 12:19:29 19,665 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone who's been using an SSD for more than a year notice any slow-down?

I've been noticing a bit of jitter on some video playback and slight delays in starting some stuff, which I'd previously attributed to an old laptop struggling to cope with new stuff.

So I used an SSD benchmark tool (AS SSD), which reports my C300 as being half as fast in some measurements than the published benchmarks (e.g. Anands SSD benchmark db). Having said that, other measurements appear a lot faster, which bumps it's overall 'score' up to something like normal, based on on what other C300 users report on the Crucial forums.

I've not updated the firmware since I got it, so I'll probably see better performance again when I do update it. It's about 5 firmware revisions out of date.

Anyone else experience problems like this with their SSDs? Even if you don't, it may be worth your while benchmarking it and keeping the results for future reference.
  • Deleted user 18 July 2012 13:05:51
    The intel drives have a suite of apps that need to be run periodically, so something definitely degrades, not sure about Crucial though.
  • Rusty_M 18 Jul 2012 13:20:28 4,949 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a 60GB OCZ Vertex 2E for about 18 months. I think windows takes a touch longer to load up but haven't noticed anything else. Never touched the firmware.

I'm tempted to do a full reinstall soon to clean everything up.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• Ryze 19 Jul 2012 11:46:02 3,148 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Anyone who's been using an SSD for more than a year notice any slow-down?

I've been noticing a bit of jitter on some video playback and slight delays in starting some stuff, which I'd previously attributed to an old laptop struggling to cope with new stuff.

So I used an SSD benchmark tool (AS SSD), which reports my C300 as being half as fast in some measurements than the published benchmarks (e.g. Anands SSD benchmark db). Having said that, other measurements appear a lot faster, which bumps it's overall 'score' up to something like normal, based on on what other C300 users report on the Crucial forums.

I've not updated the firmware since I got it, so I'll probably see better performance again when I do update it. It's about 5 firmware revisions out of date.

Anyone else experience problems like this with their SSDs? Even if you don't, it may be worth your while benchmarking it and keeping the results for future reference.
    I guess that the size of files on the drive would make a difference if it's approaching being full.

Lots of small files would be a lot of work for the drive controller circuitry, despite the fact that there's no seek time involved. There would still be overhead involved in managing the filesystem.

Do go for firmware updates, and run any housekeeping utilities supplied by the manufacturer. Take a backup before the firmware updates.

In fact, due to the nature of SSD drives, I'd be tempted to have Windows backup take a system image every fortnight at least. Writing repeatedly to SSDs is what degrades them. You're probably aware, but NEVER defrag your SSD. Needlessly ages your drive. Think of writing to the SSD like recharging a battery. Limited lifespan, but your warranty will keep you sorted, as long as you're taking an occasional system backup onto your HDD.
  • SuperBas 19 Jul 2012 13:34:26 1,498 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Been using one since the beginning of this thread, no problems here. A few months ago I reformatted for a clean Win7 install, there was no speed gain. I'm still happy with my SSD.
  • Bremenacht 19 Jul 2012 18:12:31 19,665 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Ryze - Good advice there, ta. It's about 75% full now. I know these drives can have problems at that level and that the later firmware improves behaviour greatly for this situation. I'll post an update if the improvement is worthwhile.
  • Bremenacht 24 Sep 2012 18:47:14 19,665 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still haven't flashed that drive.

Anyway. I wasn't terribly enthused by the Samsung SSDs advocated by some, but I might have to change my mind:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6328/samsung-ssd-840-pro-256gb-review

Sounds pretty good.
  • FutileResistor 28 Sep 2012 22:04:39 1,239 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Samsung 830s were/are brilliant.
  • FutileResistor 28 Sep 2012 22:13:39 1,239 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Re: performance degradation over time.

Are you using Windows 7?

Check TRIM is working

Open a command prompt

type in "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify"

DisableDeleteNotify = 0 means TRIM is working

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 means it isn't and you need to investigate further. Probably you haven't installed the SSD in AHCI mode.

Edit, oh yeah typically 70-75% full is the figure where performance starts dropping off on SSDs.

Edited by FutileResistor at 22:15:42 28-09-2012
  • mrpon 19 Oct 2012 15:08:31 29,587 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, I've received an email from Crucial telling me there is a firmware upgrade for my 128GB m4. Any scare stories I need to be aware of?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• mikew1985 19 Oct 2012 15:33:51 13,047 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh really? They obviously don't love me as much then.

I updated the firmware when I bought it over a year ago, it's not that revision is it?
  • mrpon 19 Oct 2012 15:38:00 29,587 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    25th September, apparently. Tempting, with faster boot ups, faster TRIM and better power management.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/support/ssd/index.aspx?source=web&cpe=m4firmware_uk

• mikew1985 19 Oct 2012 15:56:06 13,047 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Think I'll go for it.

If it goes bad I have most important stuff on my large HDD and I could do with tidying up my Windows install.
  • mrpon 19 Oct 2012 15:57:42 29,587 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Log some boot up times first.

• mikew1985 19 Oct 2012 16:00:34 13,047 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll be sure to do that just after I finish compiling my latest GPU benchmarking graphs.
  • Bremenacht 19 Oct 2012 16:31:43 19,665 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Double-check. It might require a disk-wipe.

That's why I've put off my firmware upgrades.
  • SuperBas 15 Nov 2012 15:56:37 1,498 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Two years later, ONE MONTH AND THREE DAYS PAST THE WARRANTY PERIOD, my OCZ Vertex 2 died. I have now replaced it with a Samsung 830, hopefully it'll last longer.

So yeah, anyone who got a Vertex 2: start using your warranty if you're nearing the two year period. I noticed something was up when Windows started freezing completely, then after a reboot, the BIOS couldn't see the SSD. I tried switching cables, but it's well and truly dead.

Edited by SuperBas at 15:59:53 15-11-2012
  • ecu 22 Jan 2013 15:43:48 77,336 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ordered myself a SSD just now, it should arrive tomorrow. Any tips for a first time user? I've read a bit of this thread and done some research but I still want to triple check I know what I'm doing before I set it up.
  • Dirtbox 22 Jan 2013 16:27:57 79,216 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nothing really, just dump your OS on it and be sure to have apps that have a caching option use that drive. Despite what people tell you, the different it makes to game loading times is negligible, So unless it's a game with a lot of loading screens, it's a bit pointless.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• UncleLou Moderator 22 Jan 2013 16:52:09 35,855 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Enable AHCI in your Bios, it helps performance.

But do this to avoid a BSOD.

edit:

If you actually make a fresh install, ignore the link, but activate AHCI before the installaion of the OS.

Edited by UncleLou at 16:53:48 22-01-2013
  • Sharzam 23 Jan 2013 08:30:12 3,366 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @dirtbox

Yeah since getting a larger SSD I thought I would put more games on it. With the exception of MMOs very little real change, surprised me a bit for example starcraft 2 is limited by blizzard servers not the drive.

MMOs though benefit massively due to pop in on zoning and draw distance being improved.

Edit : been using a ssd as a system disc for a while now so no real change for me there. Also not saying no change at all in games just that it isn't a particular big improvement.

Edited by Sharzam at 08:37:38 23-01-2013

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• ecu 25 Jan 2013 15:44:01 77,336 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Enable AHCI in your Bios, it helps performance.

But do this to avoid a BSOD.

edit:

If you actually make a fresh install, ignore the link, but activate AHCI before the installaion of the OS.
    Cheers, all up and running now. Getting boot times of 20-25 seconds, it's great. Windows Experience Index is now at 7.5. :D
  • Futaba 9 Mar 2013 23:18:00 3,546 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    technician27 wrote:
    SSD is same as normal HDD the way you install it and the way you use it :) Only difference is SSD has better performance as most of people know :)
    Wow, that's amazingly insightful. POTY for sure.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• urban 16 Mar 2013 14:21:51 11,070 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well nice, my SSD seems to have failed. Don't buy refurbs...haha

Say 5 minutes into windows it'll start to lock up, things start to hang, explorer disappears, CTRL + ALT + DEL brings up 'Preparing security options' then it blue screens with 0f4 stop code. Doesn't actually dump the bluescreen info so I can't diagnose at all.

CHKDSK /R simply throws up an unspecified error or sometimes specifys a bad sector but can't rectify. Doesn't reboot, force reboot and then it won't actually boot. Full shutdown and repeat...
    Tried Hirens boot cd to check for boot sectors but even that hangs and throws up errors.

P.S updated to latest firmware (2.4) and fully up to date mobo firmware, drivers etc.

Sat in work downloading a fresh copy of windows to install on one of my data drives, joys! Think I'll be buying a Samsung retail drive next! This one was a Corsair Force 3 240gb.

Anyone know any fun ways of destroying/looking at/making art out of SSDs?

Edited by urban at 14:28:28 16-03-2013
  • StixxUK 25 Apr 2013 12:10:15 7,293 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Think I'm gonna get one of these.

Time to upgrade from Vista to Windows 8, I've had the upgrade sitting here since Jan but haven't got round to it. I was gonna buy an external USB drive to backup my documents, then do a clean install but instead I think I'm just going to install W8 on a new SSD.

What's the best value proposition at the moment? Looking at the Samsung 840 120gb on Amazon for 85 quid at the sec.

Is 120gb enough for Windows 8? All my media will be on a separate old seagate HDD (which I'm currently using as my main drive).
  • ecu 25 Apr 2013 12:23:11 77,336 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do it, you won't regret it. 120GB is enough.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last