Chris Moyles blasts BBC in on-air rant

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous
  • HoriZon 22 Sep 2010 18:03:33 13,495 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    From DS:

Chris Moyles blasted the BBC in a half-hour rant on Radio 1 this morning.

The DJ told listeners that he had not been paid since July and accused the corporation of having a "huge lack of respect".

"Do you know what, I wasn't going to come in today," he said. "I hate the fact I've been put into a position by Radio 1 and the BBC that I don't want to be in.

"I'm very very angry, very very angry or being put into this position. I can't tell you how furious I am. I haven't been paid since the end of July and no-one cares about it. No one's bothered."

He continued: "They can't be bothered to pay me. Why should I come in? It's a two-way street. What annoys me is the fact I mentioned it to people this week. Fix it, just get it fixed. It's a huge lack of respect and a massive FU to me. 'It doesn't matter'? Really? It's for free? I love my job, don't get me wrong I love my job."

He said that he believed the problem had occurred due to administrative issues after he signed a new one-year deal with the corporation.

"It's to do with our new contracts. Some dope, I pretty much know who's responsible in this building. I even know the name of the moronic div. I bet you any money their ass is getting paid," he said.

Moyles revealed that his agent Vivienne Clore had convinced him to carry on doing the show "for the listeners". He also appeared to confirm recent reports that he had split from his girlfriend of eight years Sophie Waite

"I don't need it at the moment. I don't need any more stress in my life at the moment and they know that and yet they can't be arsed," he said. "'It doesn't matter, it's only Chris, it doesn't matter'. I've had enough. I don't need it. Every morning I'm in, like the rest of us are. Every day flogging it, working it every single day, we care about this show more than anyone else on this network. We work so hard - 'Oh, you've not been paid, don't worry about it'.

"I know a lot of people think 'whinge, whinge, whinge' - it's respect, I'm sick of it."

The presenter made an apology for his rant, which he then withdrew, saying: "Sorry. Actually I'm not sorry for the outburst because I need to get it out of my system. Fine, you can dock me five minutes' pay for this morning, I'll give you that."

He added: "Can you imagine if Terry Wogan had not got paid for two months, would you even think that would ever happen? It just wouldn't, would it? Do you ever think anyone would forget to pay Chris Evans for two months and nobody would panic about it?"

Moyles was further angered when a listener texted in telling him to "stop moaning" because he is paid "a fortune compared with most people".

"You know nothing about my life," he hit back. "And by the way, what, because I get paid more than you that means if I don't get paid for two months I should just do oh well, harumph?

"And by the way I slept on someone's sofa last night so don't [talk] to me about my life, you have no idea, my friend. If you have a problem with that I'll pay your licence fee and you can switch off and listen to someone else. Go and read the Daily Mail, you miserable fart."

According to The Guardian, the BBC has declined to comment.

------------------------

boo hoo.

Used to listen to Chris a few years ago but switched off and moved to Radio 2 and now Chris Evans is on it great!

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• thefilthandthefury 22 Sep 2010 18:06:08 24,949 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I normally hate the guy, but I am fully behind him with that. If somebody messed with my pay they'd be getting it non stop until it was sorted.
  • LionheartDJH 22 Sep 2010 18:09:54 19,359 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I also don't like him, but yeah generally you should get paid for the work you do, and in this case it's no different. Fair play to him for still doing his show though.

She dives for cheese pasties

• woodnotes 22 Sep 2010 18:11:50 4,921 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can listen to it from 9 mins:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00trmcd/The_Chris_Moyles_Show_Wednesday_Sheridan_Smith_in_the_studio/
  • kalel 22 Sep 2010 18:13:17 86,240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Him not being paid is not on, but doing that is deeply unprofessional. If he wants to make a point, he shouldn't have gone to work at all.
  • morriss 22 Sep 2010 18:13:49 70,911 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pay him. No debate, really.
  • Deleted user 22 September 2010 18:14:20
    woodnotes wrote:
    You can listen to it from 9 mins:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00trmcd/The_Chris_Moyles_Show_Wednesday_Sheridan_Smith_in_the_studio/

Cheers.
  • Whizzo 22 Sep 2010 18:15:04 43,031 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Send in the Bobs.

"I looked into it more deeply and I found what happened was he got laid off about five years ago and no one ever told him about it. But through a glitch in Payroll, he still gets a pay-check. I went ahead and fixed the glitch."

"So, um, Chris has been let go?"

"Just a second there, Professor. We, uh, we fixed the glitch. So he won't be receiving a pay-check any more. So it'll just work itself out naturally."

"We always like to avoid confrontation whenever possible. The problem is
    solved from here on, then."

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 22 September 2010 18:15:12
    How can you not pay someone?

He's right to be annoyed.
  • HoriZon 22 Sep 2010 18:16:15 13,495 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Him not being paid is not on, but doing that is deeply unprofessional. If he wants to make a point, he shouldn't have gone to work at all.

Agreed its not good if he's moaning about it on air he should have spoke to the management and if that fails not come in at all doing this on air isn't a good idea really.

I'm sure the beeb wouldn't miss him with declining listening figures and Scott Mills ready to take the spot.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• morriss 22 Sep 2010 18:16:16 70,911 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also, good on him for speaking out. I like people breaking rank and putting their neck on the line instead of just falling in, rank and file.

However, live by the sword, die by it. He has to expect to be fired now. But still, his pride's in tact and I'm sure he'll get work.

/has never listened to, or has no kind of relationship to, Chris Moyles
  • VandelayIndustries 22 Sep 2010 18:18:11 1,521 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Fine point.
  • DaisyD 22 Sep 2010 18:18:57 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is he not being paid because he's one of their high earners on the 'not being paid for a few months' list, co I know quite a few of their high paid execs aren't getting paid at the moment and they probably have more talent than him.
  • The-Old-Bill 22 Sep 2010 18:19:25 5,101 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Agreed its not good if he's moaning about it on air he should have spoke to the management and if that fails not come in at all doing this on air isn't a good idea really.

I'm sure the beeb wouldn't miss him with declining listening figures and Scott Mills ready to take the spot.
    Not getting payed is what makes him unprofessional, surely.
  • lucky_jim 22 Sep 2010 18:20:50 5,252 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think he's pretty obnoxious. But I know when work have messed up my pay, which happens virtually every time they have to make an adjustment to it, I feel deeply insulted - possibly out of all proportion. He's right to complain because it does feel like a deliberate "fuck you" even when it isn't.
  • Restart 22 Sep 2010 18:25:20 4,704 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Clearly nobody had the heart to tell him that he was sacked 2 months ago.
  • kalel 22 Sep 2010 18:25:30 86,240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's all very well taking a stand, but that's both burning your bridges and also putting off future employers.

It's a dick move imo.
  • Deleted user 22 September 2010 18:27:41
    I don't agree with him doing it live on air, that is a tad unprofessional. Surely he could have arranged a meeting with management to discuss this in private. But think about it for a moment. You pay a licence fee to the BBC. They give alot of air time to "Pay your television licence or else!" advertisements.

Although this is radio and not television so this might be a totally mute issue, as I'm not sure the licence fee covers radio, does it? Must do, a proportion of it must go into investing in their radio sector.
  • Deleted user 22 September 2010 18:28:46
    DaisyD wrote:
    Is he not being paid because he's one of their high earners on the 'not being paid for a few months' list, co I know quite a few of their high paid execs aren't getting paid at the moment and they probably have more talent than him.

Does this mean he isn't supposed to be getting paid at the moment, which I assume he or his agent must have agreed to for them to be able to do it?
  • Captain_Peach 22 Sep 2010 18:28:50 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I guess if you break up with your girlfriend of 8 years your not going to be in a great state of mind.

Let's not forget that.
  • graysonavich 22 Sep 2010 18:30:40 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You'd think he's the only one in the world that's ever gone a few missed pay cheques.
  • M83J01P97 22 Sep 2010 18:30:40 6,522 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shitty that he hasn't been paid, but I do really hope this event quickly leads to him being shafted off the Radio once and for all.

Moyles is genuinely not meant to be a very nice person when he doesn't have his cheeky-chappy media face on. There was that whole spitting in a guys face thing which was quickly forgotton about once Moyles climbed some mountain for charity or something.

And he just isn't funny. Ever.
  • Deleted user 22 September 2010 18:31:07
    AltCtrlDelete wrote:
    Although this is radio and not television so this might be a totally mute issue, as I'm not sure the licence fee covers radio, does it? Must do, a proportion of it must go into investing in their radio sector.

Car boot sales are used to fund the radio.
  • Metalfish 22 Sep 2010 18:32:25 8,785 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's a dick move imo.
    In my definition of a "dick move" it's where you put someone else in an untenable position. This is a self-dicking.
  • Deleted user 22 September 2010 18:33:47
    Micro_Explosion. wrote:
    AltCtrlDelete wrote:

Car boot sales are used to fund the radio.

I just find it interesting that they call it a TV licence and TV licensing, and then use a proportion of that money to invest in something totally different "radio" for which a licence is not required. Anyway, I've forgot my point.

• DaisyD 22 Sep 2010 18:37:49 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Micro_Explosion. wrote:
    DaisyD wrote:

Does this mean he isn't supposed to be getting paid at the moment, which I assume he or his agent must have agreed to for them to be able to do it?

No idea. I was really asking the question myself. I know some of the highest paid in the organisation are currently taking no pay for 2 or 3 months. It was on the Panorama about public sector pay the other day.
  • Deleted user 22 September 2010 18:41:08
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    I normally hate the guy, but I am fully behind him with that. If somebody messed with my pay they'd be getting it non stop until it was sorted.

this
  • kentmonkey 22 Sep 2010 18:41:17 20,413 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would piss myself laughing if that was the case.
  • FutureDave 22 Sep 2010 18:55:30 535 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    thefilthandthefury wrote:

this

But would you spend 25 minutes ranting at your customers? It isn't their fault, it's an issue that should only be taken up with your boss. What he did was thoroughly unprofessional and typically childish of the talentless tit. It shows how much respect he has for listeners. How he's still on the radio I really don't know.
  • Dirtbox 22 Sep 2010 18:59:36 77,454 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wouldn't care if they never paid him again.

What's he on, 600,000 a year? Cunt.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous