Today I learned... Page 14

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 15:18:29 8,254 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been asked what my favourite pub was, the last film I watched, and what I did on new years eve at an interview. I got the job but unsurprisingly any company who asks 'whacky' questions in an interview are complete cunts
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 15:30:44
    MetalDog wrote:
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that last point. I think there's still plenty of stone monuments kicking around from nomad tribes - I think they were plenty creative and structured for the most part. Just look at the Aborigines.
    Well, the Aborigines were only semi-nomadic (or semi-settled, depending on how you view it), moving to different settlements depending on the seasons, like rich people owning a summerhouse elsewhere. Kind of a roaming sedentism. Or at least that's how I understood they were. Could be completely wrong on that point, in which case I'll bow to superior knowledge.
  • MetalDog 9 Jan 2013 15:42:14 23,723 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The way I understand it most hunter gatherers did the seasonal grounds thing - like birds, migrating from spot to spot as needed - occasionally meeting up en mass at set gathering points to trade, swap genes, etc.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• elstoof 9 Jan 2013 15:47:10 7,721 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Maori might be a better example of your point MetalDog, a culture based less of hunter gathering and more on horticulture compared to Aborigine.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 15:47:32
    True enough. To be honest, a lot of the post should have the disclaimer "western civilisation". Similar evolutions (of settlement, not culture or beer) happened in the Americas and Asia around the same time. Though the Asians seemed to be just as booze happy as the rest of us, and all the paleo-Indians developed an entire culture around getting stoned.
  • elstoof 9 Jan 2013 15:54:36 7,721 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a bit chicken and egg as to what was the driving force though; did civilisation come together due to a desire for beer, or did the demand for beer increase because increased numbers of people led to tainted water supply and therefore a need for clean things to drink?
  • MetalDog 9 Jan 2013 15:57:34 23,723 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Even animals like getting pissed. Plenty of them know that rotten fruit = PAAAARTY TIME =D

• RyanDS 9 Jan 2013 16:05:51 9,577 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well beer was important (as was wine) as it was all you could drink safely. Water killed.

(Although the chinese did come up with the safe way of drinking water without alchohol by developing the tea ceremony. Quite a few anthropologists think the tea ceremony became so important as the length it took was enough time to kill the bugs in the water.)
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 16:06:22
    Probably the former - as far as we can tell from various ancient poems about it, beer making didn't initially involve directly boiling the water, that developed as the process was perfected. But whether that in itself happened because of a need to purify the dirtied water or just by happy coincidence could be argued.

This is a discussion that should really be carried out in a pub.
  • RyanDS 9 Jan 2013 16:07:55 9,577 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Probably the former - as far as we can tell from various ancient poems about it, beer making didn't initially involve directly boiling the water, that developed as the process was perfected. But whether that in itself happened because of a need to purify the dirtied water or just by happy coincidence could be argued.

The water didn't need to be boiled as the alcohol did the bacteria killing job.
  • MetalDog 9 Jan 2013 16:09:56 23,723 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Something we can all agree on =)

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 16:10:50
    Early beers were believed to be exceptionally low in alcohol content. They were basically just porridge in the early stages of fermentation. Full of nutrients and vitamin B.
  • elstoof 9 Jan 2013 16:19:52 7,721 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not so much the alcohol killing bacteria as the yeast colonising the beer and leaving the bacteria no nutrients from the wort to develop with.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 16:34:44
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 16:34:49
    elstoof wrote:
    It's not so much the alcohol killing bacteria as the yeast colonising the beer and leaving the bacteria no nutrients from the wort to develop with.
    Dunno about that. My own batches of brews have often turned out terrible from lack of sanitation and ended up destroyed by other bacterias. This is (partially) why, many moons ago, I looked into the history of beer. Given how unbelievably easy it was to fuck it up, I wondered how the hell it developed in the first place. Turns out they kept grain in sacks, then the sacks got inevitably wet as they traveled around, which then became malt. This was desirable because it was sweet (in an age before sugar), so they mixed it with water to make a sweet gruel. Then someone left it out for too long and it started to ferment from natural yeast in the air, and that's literally what early beer was - made in such a short timescale it didn't even have the chance to fuck up (it's also (allegedly) where the straw developed from - a way of drinking the liquid beer without ending up with lots of bits of grain husk and whatnot in your mouth). The process of mashing and worting developed a while after that as they pissed around with different methods, and boiling had to happen to sanitise the wort and stop it from being utterly ruined. The question really is whether the boiling began to purify the water anyway and good, stable wort was a by-product, or if they boiled the water primarily to make the beer better.
  • elstoof 9 Jan 2013 16:50:08 7,721 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've alway assumed that beer made a few thousand years ago was probably pretty nasty stuff, but preferable to drinking water that made you shit constantly for a week and tolerated because of the pleasant side effects - in the same way people will eat magic mushrooms even though they don't taste particularly pleasant. What I do know though, is that some Viking tribes would take great pride in their stirring stick, believing it to hold mystical powers that ensured a good brew, while now we can safely assume that the particular stick probably had a particular strain of yeast living on it which was more tolerant to unhygienic wort so perhaps the yeast strains prized in those days were selected (by trial and error) for these properties instead of the delicate, fragrant yeasts we can use today due to better sanitation.
  • localnotail 9 Jan 2013 17:32:44 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    :lol:

They make the question I had seem rather acceptable.

So far I've asked my mate, mum, dad and brother what is the best idea they've ever had and none of them can answer it!
    "Taking the red pill".

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• LeoliansBro 9 Jan 2013 17:34:46 44,502 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's the late night lament of every gentleman of a certain age who's gone out and got someone drunk enough for casual sex, but unfortunately got himself too drunk to do anything about it in the process.

'Why, oh why, didn't I take the blue pill?'

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Razz 12 Jan 2013 20:53:06 61,387 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Delete your cookies if you view a flight online more than once as prices can go up on repeat viewings. Same goes for renting cars.

If you look up plane tickets from A to B you may or may not be interested in buying, they give you X price.

If you visit the page twice, you are probably more interested in visiting B and they raise the price to X+Y because they think: if you're going to buy a ticket, might as well get more money.

Three times and it's hook, line, and sinker; you want to fly there.

Etc...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• RyanDS 12 Jan 2013 21:06:05 9,577 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Delete your cookies if you view a flight online more than once as prices can go up on repeat viewings. Same goes for renting cars.

If you look up plane tickets from A to B you may or may not be interested in buying, they give you X price.

If you visit the page twice, you are probably more interested in visiting B and they raise the price to X+Y because they think: if you're going to buy a ticket, might as well get more money.

Etc...
    Almost. What actually happens is that by viewing the flight if books the place for you just in case you decide to buy. If you leave and come back, it counts the previous seats as sold for 5 minutes or so.

Generally if you leave it 15 minutes between visits you should get the cheaper price again as the seats have been released.

So my mate at lastminute.com told me.
  • Sarahshade 13 Jan 2013 00:07:06 139 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Today I learned that cranberry juice will make you pee, it will make you pee all day long!

Xbox gamertag: Sarah Doherty22
    Steam: Sarahshade1
    3DS: 0903-3840-7897

• Deleted user 13 January 2013 00:34:44
    anthonypappa must spend most of his life on the hop.
  • elstoof 13 Jan 2013 00:37:54 7,721 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    His caravan window sill is fully lined up with thermos flasks full to the brim.
  • RobTheBuilder 13 Jan 2013 01:15:41 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Today I learned that it's always interesting when a negative review you write ends up in the hands of the person who made it...
  • mal 13 Jan 2013 03:02:25 22,677 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sarahshade wrote:
    Today I learned that cranberry juice will make you pee, it will make you pee all day long!
    Nah, that'll be the vodka it's sharing the glass with.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Sarahshade 13 Jan 2013 10:02:26 139 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @mal I wish it was vodka in the glass with it. Would have made my day at work a little more bearable lol

Xbox gamertag: Sarah Doherty22
    Steam: Sarahshade1
    3DS: 0903-3840-7897

• Luckyjim 13 Jan 2013 16:33:25 2,873 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sarahshade wrote:
    And it's good for cystitis.
  • MetalDog 21 Jan 2013 14:07:00 23,723 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Today I learned that it's always interesting when a negative review you write ends up in the hands of the person who made it...
    Anne Rice on the rampage again?

Today I learned that the old Tales from the Darkside intro still makes me giggle like a child.

BUT

• Ginger 21 Jan 2013 18:33:23 6,867 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Razz wrote:

Etc...
    Almost. What actually happens is that by viewing the flight if books the place for you just in case you decide to buy. If you leave and come back, it counts the previous seats as sold for 5 minutes or so.

Generally if you leave it 15 minutes between visits you should get the cheaper price again as the seats have been released.

So my mate at lastminute.com told me.
    So if i worked for an airline and wanted to write a little web bot that went round and pushed up the prices of my competitors flights I'd be able to do that?

London open taekwondo champion

• Page

of 18 First / Last