Today I learned... Page 2

  • Page

    of 18 First / Last

  • Fab4 23 Sep 2010 13:26:04 6,118 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I learnt today that our company has 6 months to survive if we don't start shifting major amounts of our products :-D

    Edit: Not that I'm worried.
  • Youthist 23 Sep 2010 13:27:18 10,028 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And you start to help by...laughing about it on a chat forum! They are fucked!

    Ah - post edit. I couldn't smell the fear in your initial post - someone needs to create an emoticon for that. A grin but one masking terror.

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • kadooosh 23 Sep 2010 13:41:41 1,494 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Out of interest what do u sell?

    If it's cleaning products then take out Barry Scott. Do us all a favour
  • S.J.Rogers 23 Sep 2010 13:44:32 3,557 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    I couldn't smell the fear in your initial post - someone needs to create an emoticon for that. A grin but one masking terror.

    8-)

    How about that..?
  • Fab4 23 Sep 2010 13:49:39 6,118 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We develop what is basically a mobile wifi/umts/(whatever radio you would like) switch for organisations who would like their people out in the field to securely communicate with a centralized network.

    Its predominantly aimed at people like the fire brigade, police, ambulance etc, but could be used anywhere. We currently have a demo with Rotterdam harbour police who use it on their boats to communicate with their control rooms. The main benefit is that it automatically switches to the best available network, offering redundancy.

    Fucking recession has hit potential sales though, and our funded projects are all coming to an end shortly :)
  • coastal 23 Sep 2010 13:51:42 5,388 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Today I learnt that there's parts of Belgium inside Holland, and inside those enclaves there's further inner enclaves which are Dutch. In fact, "there's a Belgian parcel within a Dutch parcel within a Belgian enclave, which in turn is surrounded entirely by Dutch territory…"

    The Enclaves and Counter-enclaves of Baarle

    bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

  • Fab4 23 Sep 2010 13:53:18 6,118 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Btw, I'm not worried because over here in Holland, if youve been employed with a company for over 5 years, when you are made unemployed you get 70% of your final monthly salary for 6 months, and then decreasing percentages of that salary over the space of another year. Its not like the UK where you are basically out on your ear.
  • Youthist 23 Sep 2010 13:56:21 10,028 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh so you were not worried. Scratch the emoticon request, SJ

    Plus who can read the word "Enclave" without feeling like they are back on the Wastelands?

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • terminalterror 23 Sep 2010 13:59:38 18,937 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    coastal wrote:
    Today I learnt that there's parts of Belgium inside Holland, and inside those enclaves there's further inner enclaves which are Dutch. In fact, "there's a Belgian parcel within a Dutch parcel within a Belgian enclave, which in turn is surrounded entirely by Dutch territory…"

    The Enclaves and Counter-enclaves of Baarle

    That is really fascinating!


    I hereby declare this thread a success!
  • Fake_Blood 23 Sep 2010 14:06:06 4,316 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fuck, I am Belgian an didn't even know about the enclaves.
  • terminalterror 26 Sep 2010 19:48:08 18,937 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Today I learned that in 1970, an Australian named Leonard George Casley seceded his farm (along with the farms of 4 neighbours) from the Commonwealth of Australia under the Treason Act 1495, forming the Principality of Hutt River, because of a dispute over wheat quotas.

    [Thanks to an administrative error on the part of the office of the Governer General of Australia,] Casley was inadvertently addressed as the "Administrator of the Hutt River Province" which, under the application of Royal Prerogative, makes this recognition binding on all courts. After the government threatened him with prosecution, Casley styled himself "His Majesty Prince Leonard I of Hutt" to take advantage of a Commonwealth law that a monarch could not only not be charged but that anyone who interfered with his duties could be charged with treason. Although the law in this matter has since changed, the Australian government has not taken any action against Hutt River since the declaration. Under Australian law, the government had two years to respond to Casley's declaration; the failure to respond gave the province de facto legal status on April 21, 1972.

    It gets better:

    Following repeated demands by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for the payment of taxes, on 2 December 1977 the province officially declared war on Australia. Prince Leonard notified authorities of the cessation of hostilities several days later... Hutt River citizens are now classed by the ATO as non-residents of Australia for income tax purposes; thus income earned within the province is exempt from Australian taxation.

    What a guy!
  • CosmicFuzz 26 Sep 2010 19:51:16 25,030 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D That's amazing!

    Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

  • RetardStrong 26 Sep 2010 20:50:31 3,229 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Fuck, I am Belgian an didn't even know about the enclaves.
  • sirtacos 29 Sep 2010 16:57:05 7,337 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago


    Today I learned that the Nazis landed in the US and that J. Edgar Hoover was an utter cunt.
  • terminalterror 29 Sep 2010 18:13:53 18,937 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:


    Today I learned that the Nazis landed in the US and that J. Edgar Hoover was an utter cunt.

    That was a truly fascinating read. Thank you!
  • Deckard1 29 Sep 2010 18:32:17 28,765 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Today I learned that I'm pretty closely related to James Earl Jones!!
  • HoriZon 29 Sep 2010 18:35:03 13,569 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Today (well the other day) that someone me and silentbob knew back at school now has his own TV show on Channel 4!! he was a cock though!

    I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

  • Deckard1 29 Sep 2010 18:38:22 28,765 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    did you have relations with him? You could sell the details to the news of the world.
  • terminalterror 1 Oct 2010 11:05:13 18,937 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This model shows what a man's body would look like if each part grew in proportion to the area of the cortex of the brain concerned with its movement.

    and a counterpart: Man scaled proportional to sensory input
  • localnotail 1 Oct 2010 11:15:16 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    that sensory homunculus looks like Tony Blair o_O

    yesterday I learned this about coding links in posts:
    smoothpete wrote:
    It's the capital A in the A href. Lower case a opens a new tab or window

    Capital A

    Lower case a

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • boo 1 Oct 2010 11:19:25 11,861 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool!

    Just Another Lego Blog

  • DaM 1 Oct 2010 11:54:54 13,362 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Today I learned that I'm pretty closely related to James Earl Jones!!

    Is he your father? Do you have a hot secret sister and mother?
  • mal 1 Oct 2010 13:33:20 22,727 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    This model shows what a man's body would look like if each part grew in proportion to the area of the cortex of the brain concerned with its movement.

    and a counterpart: Man scaled proportional to sensory input
    I remember this image from an encyclopaedia when I was younger which is a similar idea, but not as cool as those homunculi.

    Today I learned that while my spellchecker recognises 'homunculus' it doesn't recognise the plural. Or the compound word 'spellchecker' for that matter...

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • terminalterror 2 Oct 2010 16:01:03 18,937 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TIL Cleopatra lived closer in time to the first Moon landing than to the building of the Great Pyramid.

    The Great Pyramid was built around 2560 BC.

    Cleopatra lived from 69 BC to 30 BC

    Human beings land on the Moon, 1969 AD.
  • Deckard1 2 Oct 2010 16:17:35 28,765 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    This model shows what a man's body would look like if each part grew in proportion to the area of the cortex of the brain concerned with its movement.


    More accurate version
  • terminalterror 2 Oct 2010 17:08:09 18,937 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you shuffle a deck of cards, chances are that the new order of playing cards has never existed before.


    Mathstime!

    I'll assume everybody on earth spends every waking moment constantly shuffling decks of cards in an attempt to shuffle just one particular order of cards, and I'll assume shuffling a deck takes 10 seconds.

    6 billion people spend 16 hours everyday shuffling a deck of cards, at the rate of 6 decks per minute, hoping for a specific order.

    They shuffle 6 * 10^9 * 365 * 16 * 60 * 6 = 1.3 * 10^16 decks per year

    There are 52! possible orders, which is 8 * 10^67

    On average, it would take about 6 * 10^51 years to see any specific order, while the universe is only about 1.4 * 10^10 years old.
  • RelaxedMikki 2 Oct 2010 18:35:49 937 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    today I learned that someone called 'terminalterror' can make my head hurt remotely with the power of maths.

    I am now in fear of a new superweapon that can rain down the mind-warping agony of sums onto an unsuspecting civillian populace from the safety of a calculation-proof bunker in a different continnent.

  • heyyo 2 Oct 2010 18:48:08 14,372 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Today I learned that i'm blessed, but the Hennessey goes straight to my head after my chest.
  • TechnoHippy 2 Oct 2010 18:52:15 14,719 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    If you shuffle a deck of cards, chances are that the new order of playing cards has never existed before.


    Mathstime!

    I'll assume everybody on earth spends every waking moment constantly shuffling decks of cards in an attempt to shuffle just one particular order of cards, and I'll assume shuffling a deck takes 10 seconds.

    6 billion people spend 16 hours everyday shuffling a deck of cards, at the rate of 6 decks per minute, hoping for a specific order.

    They shuffle 6 * 10^9 * 365 * 16 * 60 * 6 = 1.3 * 10^16 decks per year

    There are 52! possible orders, which is 8 * 10^67

    On average, it would take about 6 * 10^51 years to see any specific order, while the universe is only about 1.4 * 10^10 years old.

    Does the possibility that people tend to shuffle cards in the same way affect your calculations?

    My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

  • terminalterror 2 Oct 2010 19:06:56 18,937 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Techno Hippy wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    If you shuffle a deck of cards, chances are that the new order of playing cards has never existed before.


    Mathstime!

    I'll assume everybody on earth spends every waking moment constantly shuffling decks of cards in an attempt to shuffle just one particular order of cards, and I'll assume shuffling a deck takes 10 seconds.

    6 billion people spend 16 hours everyday shuffling a deck of cards, at the rate of 6 decks per minute, hoping for a specific order.

    They shuffle 6 * 10^9 * 365 * 16 * 60 * 6 = 1.3 * 10^16 decks per year

    There are 52! possible orders, which is 8 * 10^67

    On average, it would take about 6 * 10^51 years to see any specific order, while the universe is only about 1.4 * 10^10 years old.

    Does the possibility that people tend to shuffle cards in the same way affect your calculations?

    I haven't factored that in. If you assume that people start with the same order of cards (brand new pack from same manufacturer) then similar shuffling techniques could well mean you'd have the same order crop up with different people.

    However, that is irrelevant to my calculations, as it isn't seeing how long it will take for two people to shuffle the exact same order of cards. It is how long it will take for just one specific order of cards to appear (e.g. King of Spades, 4 of Clubs, 7 of Clubs etc.).
  • Page

    of 18 First / Last

Log in or register to reply