Dark Souls Page 1182

• Page

of 1205 First / Last

• FWB 1 Mar 2014 20:16:48 44,656 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I stumbled on both. Died to the big one. The other at the bottom I ran and ran away from, trying to kite it to an area I could climb a ladder and chuck raining fire down on it. :) Did that with some knight mini-boss.
  • Deleted user 1 March 2014 20:22:39
    Heh, running away from things will become a standard approach from now onwards. Welcome to Dark Souls :D
  • ubergine 2 Mar 2014 07:26:05 2,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Solaire gets killed by the gargoyles shortly before I do. At best he briefly distracts them sometimes.

EMarkM wrote:
    To add, they are weak to lightning if you have any pine resin left, and you should concentrate on the first one first. Keep an eye on the second one, but only to keep out of his way. Don't attack him until the first one is down.
    I will try it with the resin, which I haven't used yet, but I've probably only got one more attempt at this. Losing that whole stack of humanity and going to zero will probably be enough to put this to rest, maybe forever if I move on to a new console.

What I find fun in a game, difficulty wise, is say a boss or enemy introducing a new mechanic that you have to 1) identity then 2) figure out how to counter.

Dark Souls so far is a pretty badly made game in the boss department. The way to kill the asylum demon and Taurus demon feels more like an exploit than a solution (I ran up the ladder twice to kill the Taurus guy) then you have the "shoot the tail" option with that dragon. I killed some lightning statue by positioning myself between it and a bit of rock that it's lightning would get stuck on.

Yes, I've gotten better at beating the regular enemies that show some variety in behavior, which you then have to grind through over and over. I hope though in the sequel that they introduce some kind of nuance and intelligence to the boss design. So far this game only seems hard because it's so shit. Which is a shame because in most other aspects I really like it, it's like the perfect antidote to Skyrim's bland design philosophy.

I think the perfect game would be Dark Souls but with the boss design of Metroid Prime 1 & 2, each a battle but also a puzzle to be solved - but not by a solution that feels like a cheap exploit! Any fight I this game so far when I'm NOT using some cheap tactic I read on a walk through just feels like a barrage of wank, that I may eventually muddle my way through by accident if I do it fifty times.

There's so many other games though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• skiplevels 2 Mar 2014 07:35:19 522 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    I hope they introduce some nuance and intelligence to the boss design too

what's definitely lacking from DS is nuance and intelligence in its boss design

Edited by skiplevels at 07:36:07 02-03-2014
  • ubergine 2 Mar 2014 07:38:05 2,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just found this article on some of the changes in the sequel.

http://m.au.ign.com/wikis/dark-souls-2/Dark_Souls_vs_Dark_Souls_2

Some of it sounds sadly over simplified, but I'd like it if the menus and interactions were more streamlined.

For example, if you are in the bonfire menu and want to perform an action that requires humanity, being able to use the humanity items from there instead of exiting and entering new menus back-and-forth would save on many "for fuck's sake!" moments.

Getting stuck in menus while things are attacking you is pretty lame too. I often take a while to realise that brown menu thing is open against the brown background while I'm wondering why the controls aren't working.

• ubergine 2 Mar 2014 07:39:46 2,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    skiplevels wrote:
    I hope they introduce some nuance and intelligence to the boss design too

what's definitely lacking from DS is nuance and intelligence in its boss design
    Maybe it comes later, I'm not very far into this cunting game after all.

• ubergine 2 Mar 2014 07:53:29 2,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So far, this is how the boss design breaks down:

Asylum demon: perform quick time event while falling to do massive damage, then scooch round behind it and stab it in its ass.

Taurus demon: perform same quick time event twice or hang close and stab it in its genital area.

Cow-thing: use an alluring skull to distract it then ram your whole arm up its ass and kill it in one blow.

Big Knight Thing: roll past his blows and stab him in the ass.

Gargoyles: distract them with Solaire, stab them in ass.

Dragon: shoot in tail 40 times (I haven't done this shit thing, only read about it)

lightning thing: shoot 50 times while it is stuck on a rock.

Allowing pretty much any blow to connect will kill you.

I'm finding the battles with the respawing enemies is actually far more interesting and satisfying than any of these bosses.

• andyc1980 2 Mar 2014 07:54:14 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ubergine I was so close t fucking it off around the same point as you mate. Now I'm in Sens loving the game. And stamina management is critical. I still have times where I'm running around like a headless chicken waiting to recover a bit of it.

Quick question for the vets. Does someone or something reset the lever t hat directs the boulders.

Edited by andyc1980 at 07:55:48 02-03-2014
  • Deleted user 2 March 2014 07:57:24
    @andyc1980

Yeah, it does mysteriously seem to change direction by itself sometimes so don't assume the ball is rolling in the direction you may have planned...
  • andyc1980 2 Mar 2014 08:03:59 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Ironlungs76 I was squished by it mere seconds after shifting away from where I was going. Think I'll try going a diff way for now.
  • Deleted user 2 March 2014 08:30:35
    I don't claim to know why the hell it changes, but it seems to never roll down the initial slope if you're running back from the bonfire after death. After that it could be rolling any way.

I usually point it outside (backwards) if I'm bothering to collect the shineys but it never takes long to reset. There's no hint of Patches in Sens, is there?
  • andyc1980 2 Mar 2014 08:38:19 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Ironlungs76 yeah it hasn't took long with me. Never seen it on the first hill once I got up to the lever.
  • Kins 2 Mar 2014 18:41:38 11 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Still having fierce difficulty with the Stray Demon, so I decided feck it, level up and weapon ascension time and made for Darkroot Basin. I regretted that decision upon encountering the denizen of the water down there.

Feckin' Hydra

Drinker of Tea and other fine beverages.

• Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 2 Mar 2014 19:39:43 14,033 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kins wrote:
    Feckin' Hydra
    My sentiments exactly.

Soul arrows don't even seem to reach it from the save spot I used to snipe its heads with a bow in the previous play-through. :/
  • retro74 2 Mar 2014 20:58:51 240 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The key to the hydra is to get up close and personal without going too close to the drop off

I tried to kill it at range about 50 times before realising this though. It stops its magic attack once you get close and then you stand with shield up, wait for its attack and systematically chop its heads off
  • Deleted user 2 March 2014 21:11:18
    Syrok wrote:
    Kins wrote:
    Feckin' Hydra
    My sentiments exactly.

Soul arrows don't even seem to reach it from the save spot I used to snipe its heads with a bow in the previous play-through. :/
    You can free-aim Soul Arrows onto the heads after they swoop down at you. Hitting the heads is higher damage than hitting the body but, obviously, a touch harder to hit with :)
  • Fixxxer 2 Mar 2014 21:25:49 1,304 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    So far, this is how the boss design breaks down:

Asylum demon: perform quick time event while falling to do massive damage, then scooch round behind it and stab it in its ass.

Taurus demon: perform same quick time event twice or hang close and stab it in its genital area.

Cow-thing: use an alluring skull to distract it then ram your whole arm up its ass and kill it in one blow.

Big Knight Thing: roll past his blows and stab him in the ass.

Gargoyles: distract them with Solaire, stab them in ass.

Dragon: shoot in tail 40 times (I haven't done this shit thing, only read about it)

lightning thing: shoot 50 times while it is stuck on a rock.

Allowing pretty much any blow to connect will kill you.

I'm finding the battles with the respawing enemies is actually far more interesting and satisfying than any of these bosses.
    What you're overlooking is that the bosses aren't about how you attack them - it is, after all, in all cases just a matter of swinging your sword in their direction - it's about how you defend them.

The black knight (ironically not a boss) should have been a decent example of this. More tactical bosses will follow.
  • andyc1980 2 Mar 2014 22:24:58 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Fixxxer I found black knights to be an absolute bastard until I started learning how to parry properly. Now they die rather quickly.
  • stryker1121 2 Mar 2014 22:50:20 697 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I found most enemies to be "fair," though the Capra fight stretches the limits being thrown at you so early. I had to cheese him by doing drop attacks from the ledge by the stairs, though I've seen others online go toe-to-toe with him.

Only one boss fight I'd actually call bullshit on, but that's toward the end of the game. You'll know it when you get to it!

FYI the dragon on the bridge does not die when you shoot his tail. You just get a weapon from him, so no need to mess with him at all if you don't want.
  • ubergine 3 Mar 2014 02:34:26 2,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't think I mean "black knights", that big guy who is in the cathedral near the blacksmith, right where you find a lift back to fire link shrine.

On that note though, I might have to just throw myself at one of those black knights until I learn to parry/riposte.

• PenguinJim 3 Mar 2014 02:56:08 5,869 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ubergine Are you playing with keyboard/mouse, perchance?
  • ubergine 3 Mar 2014 04:21:40 2,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No, 360.

One aspect to why I'm having trouble here is also that I started again and knew where to go, so didn't do asuch backtracking, therefore didn't grind as many levels. I have better equipment though on account of having found the imprisoned blacksmith guy beneath firelink shrine.

I also upgraded my Thief Armour a couple times but I'm not sure that really makes any difference, because regardless, you get hit, you're fucked. Guy spends too much time stumbling around when giant weapon / fire breath connects to do anything meaningful about it.

I've left it be for a couple days, given I've only really got one chance to get my stuff back (or two, if I want to try it without solaire.)

Edited by ubergine at 04:23:11 03-03-2014

• PenguinJim 3 Mar 2014 04:30:22 5,869 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thief Armour? That's not for taking-hits defence. Try rolling. Roll, roll, roll some more! Then, when you defeat the Gargoyles, it's VERY important that you say "That's how I roll." :cool:

Edit: I'm sorry, I can't see what weapon/magic you're using. I'll take the risk of suggesting a halberd, anyway - nice reach and moveset for the early game. You can also upgrade a weapon you like, which makes a lot more difference than levelling (as long as you're levelled "enough").

Edited by PenguinJim at 04:34:38 03-03-2014
  • ubergine 3 Mar 2014 06:51:07 2,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There's a sword and dragon shield in the arms of a bony dragon thing, I'm using that. Artoras sword or something. I jacked it up twice with twinkling titanite.

I'm not TRYING to get hit, but it seems impossible to avoid 100% of the time, especially once they start in with the fire breath.

What I'd probably have to do in the end is start again and just grind up another 10 levels or so. I think I'm on 18.

• Deleted user 3 March 2014 07:07:03
    @ubergine

SL is largely irrelevant for what level bosses are achievable at. It is far more helpful to upgrade a weapon of your choosing to +5 at Andre asap.

Unfortunately for you, Astora's Straight Sword is a rather crappy sword, one that requires twinkling titanites to upgrade (they are rare early game), does relatively shit damage and cost a load to upgrade. Get a basic Longsword, halberd, Battle Axe or whatever, that'll serve you far far better.

You'll be amazed at what a difference a +5 weapon will make against gargoyles. 4-5 hits with a +5 battle axe ought to kill the first one, for example.
  • PenguinJim 3 Mar 2014 08:16:06 5,869 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, you don't need to grind, you need to upgrade! A halberd! And your rolling skills!

You can also try defeating those red-caped knights downstairs from the gargoyles a few times for a Baldur Side Sword (as well as some titanite for upgrades) - should take five-ten minutes unless you're quadfather.
  • robc84 3 Mar 2014 08:22:58 5,701 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    should take five-ten minutes unless you're quadfather.
    :)

Ubergine, you've probably already told us this, but what kind of character are you going for?

It will be well worth going for a Balder Side Sword if you are going to be dex based. Otherwise, as suggested, choose a weapon that scales well with the stat you are going for (strength / dex) and up it to +5. Unless you are magic based of course. You may also get a balder shield too while farming for the sword. Get that upped as much as possible too.

If you can do that and learn to manage your stamina you'll be well on your way. May be worth putting a couple of points into endurance too for some extra stamina too.
  • andyc1980 3 Mar 2014 08:25:06 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @PenguinJim or Andy on a Str build. Not one in 34 hrs of play. I've got a full balder set sort from the sword.
  • Fixxxer 3 Mar 2014 09:17:42 1,304 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    An upgraded weapon and gold pine resin will make mincemeat of them.
  • ubergine 3 Mar 2014 09:25:29 2,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Okay, my bloodstain is up with the gargoyles. Can I just grind around for hours, using the bonfires and so on, and the bloodstain will wait for me unless I die again? Or does using the bonfires make you lose it?

My live gold expired so I guess people can't enter my game, if there's a risk of them somehow stealing it.

• Page

of 1205 First / Last